hyperlinking to an item in Global Address List

I have figured out how to hyperlink (html) to an item in my contact
list:

outlook:Contacts/~John Doe

This works great.

Now I would like to be able to issue a command to open a specific
contact from the Global Address List.  It is possible that the Global
Address List has some folder name like GAL so that a command like
this:

outlook://GAL/~John Doe

could be issued.  Does anyone know how to refer to the Global Address
List by its folder name or to do what I am asking?

This can't be done, but you can add the GAL entry to your contact folder and
then do what you know.  Is that good enough?

"Billy" <googledude@godfearer.com> wrote in message
>I have figured out how to hyperlink (html) to an item in my contact
> list:
>
> outlook:Contacts/~John Doe
>
> This works great.
>
> Now I would like to be able to issue a command to open a specific
> contact from the Global Address List.  It is possible that the Global
> Address List has some folder name like GAL so that a command like
> this:
>
> outlook://GAL/~John Doe
>
> could be issued.  Does anyone know how to refer to the Global Address
> List by its folder name or to do what I am asking?

0
Neo (372)
11/2/2007 1:05:01 PM
On Nov 2, 8:05 am, "neo [mvp outlook]"
<n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> This can't be done, but you can add the GAL entry to your contact folder and
> then do what you know.  Is that good enough?
>
> "Billy" <googled...@godfearer.com> wrote in message

> >I have figured out how to hyperlink (html) to an item in my contact
> > list:
>
> > outlook:Contacts/~John Doe
>
> > This works great.
>
> > Now I would like to be able to issue a command to open a specific
> > contact from the Global Address List.  It is possible that the Global
> > Address List has some folder name like GAL so that a command like
> > this:
>
> > outlook://GAL/~John Doe
>
> > could be issued.  Does anyone know how to refer to the Global Address
> > List by its folder name or to do what I am asking?- Hide quoted text -

Not really.  My goal was to connect into a live database (one that
corporate is maintaining) rather than to take a snapshot of a contact
and allow the data to get stale.

Hmm... well, not knowing what the purpose is for wanting a "live" link to
Active Directory, then I can suggest that if you are developing an internal
application that needs to acquire data from Active Directory, then use
ADSI/LDAP to get the information.

By the way, I'm suggesting ADSI/LDAP because I don't know what version of
Outlook you are targeting and/or whether or not Collaboration Data Objects
would be available on the machine in order to pull up the GAL
programmatically.

> On Nov 2, 8:05 am, "neo [mvp outlook]"
> <n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> This can't be done, but you can add the GAL entry to your contact folder
>> and
>> then do what you know.  Is that good enough?
>>
>> "Billy" <googled...@godfearer.com> wrote in message

>> >I have figured out how to hyperlink (html) to an item in my contact
>> > list:
>>
>> > outlook:Contacts/~John Doe
>>
>> > This works great.
>>
>> > Now I would like to be able to issue a command to open a specific
>> > contact from the Global Address List.  It is possible that the Global
>> > Address List has some folder name like GAL so that a command like
>> > this:
>>
>> > outlook://GAL/~John Doe
>>
>> > could be issued.  Does anyone know how to refer to the Global Address
>> > List by its folder name or to do what I am asking?- Hide quoted text -

> Not really.  My goal was to connect into a live database (one that
> corporate is maintaining) rather than to take a snapshot of a contact
> and allow the data to get stale.

0
Neo (372)

Sent Item Folder
Dear all, My outlook 2003 work properly. However, one day when i reply an email of my friend who is living in australia. I find that the recipient name(my friend's name) of the replied email in the "sent item folder" does not exit (blanked). Can anyone tell me why and tell me the solution???? Thanks!! ...

How to save replies to Sent Items folder with a shared mailbox
Hi, I am part of a software development team and we have setup a shared Mailbox (called Software Support) for support related e-mails. The problem we have, is that when anyone in the team replies to an e-mail in the Software support Inbox the reply is saved to the Sent Items folder in their own personal Mailbox. What this means is that others cannot see what the reply was to a support e-mail. Is there a way to save the replies made to e-mails in the Software Support Inbox to the Sent Items folder of the Software Support Mailbox (and NOT to the Sent Items folder in s...

hyperlink #4
Hello, I have. a spreadsheet with 300+ records. One column has website addresses. How can I format those cells so that when I click on the web address, it will go to the websites? I know Excel explains it but I'm not understanding it. if someone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Mindy Mindy Select the cells, hit F2 and ENTER as many times as needed to roll through the range and change to hyperlinks. Whole column at a time use this macro from David McRitchie. Sub MakeHyperlinks() Dim cell As Range For Each cell In Intersect(Selection, _ ...

Hyperlinks
I have a spreadsheet that is 3604 rows & 6 columns. Column E has only hyperlinks to URL's. I have filtered my data via column B. I tried to A-Z Column A. When I do, the hyperlinks do not stay with the data. The mask looks correct but when you scroll over the hyperlink you see a completely different URL.????? Can anyone tell me how to make sure the Hyperlink keeps the correct URL when filtering and sorting the data. Try using the =HYPERLINK() worksheet function Tim "LeisaA" <LeisaA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3362C55C-FBA2-43...

aol addresses
is there any way to import an aol address book into outlook Microt1 wrote: > is there any way to import an aol address book into outlook To the best of my knowledge, no - the AOL address book is totally proprietary (another of the myriad of reasons I hate AOHELL). ...

Dependent List
I have three dependent lists. The lists are working just fine. List 1 List 2 List 3 If, after selecting an item in each list, you go back and change and item, the dependent lists do not update. Also, if you delete a selected item, the other lists do not update. I used =INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(D2," ","")) Any suggestions? thanks. Hi Toni, Here is a good site for dependant drop downs. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html I think I understand what you are shooting at. You select Fruit from 1, and Apples from 2 and Granny Smith from 3. Now you se...

Excel 2000 Hyperlinks
Probably a silly question, but how do you turn off hyperlinks? I know how to remove them, but I want the entire feature turned off so that when I type an email address it doesn't turn it into an active hyperlink. In XP, you can go to Tools, Autocorrect options, but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. >>but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. Me either. You could precede the entry with an apostrophe. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP .... or hit CTRL-Z right after it converts. Rgds, Andy ...

List of selectable items
How do I implement a control which has multiple rows of selectable data - a bit like the "Details" view in Windows Explorer or the list of messages in a newsgroup...? I want to display a list of severs with fields such as Name, Location, IP address, port number etc. You can use the Report view of a listview control. By default you can select multiple rows, unless you check the "single selection" option. Hope this helps "POIUYT" <POIUYT@hello.com> wrote in message news:uGOdzKt3FHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How do I implement a control which...

automatic delete of read items
Hi, Have had a problem for a few weeks now, where any read items in my inbox seem to automatically delete. I can not retrieve these items as they do not get sent to my deleted folder. Please help!! Cheers Kate Check your view settings to see if you set it to unread messages. Enable the Advanced toolbar for ease of use. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answ...

Hyperlinks and e-mail
I want to be able to send an e-mail as a result of a vlookup. so if I have the name in Col A,the email address in Col B,the case number in Col C and the Vlookup formula on a different page I want to be able to lookup the name and also get the email hyperlink, with the case number included in the subject field. Then I need to automate that process with a Macro.......... Ade Hi not quite sure this is what you want but for mailing macros have a look at Ron's site: http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ade wrote: > I want to be able to send a...

RECEIPTS: Hide up item look up code in receipt
My buyer and I are wondering, how would you change the receipt to hide/not show the item lookup code in the receipt. Any help would be appreciated. Sincerely, Ryan hi Ryan, its very easy to do so, make a backup of receipt.xml file under: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Retail Management System\Store Operations\ReceiptTemplates or whereever you installed the program. Then open the receipt.xml file in notepad and find the "Entry.Item.ItemLookupCode" and just cut from whole code whereever it appears and then save the file. then again to to SO Manager program> Database > Regi...

Change Item Lookup Code to Uppercase
Having issues scanning barcodes that are generated from RMS when the Item Lookup Code is in lowercase. I have changed a few items in HQ manager that had lowercase Lookup Codes to uppercase and after I synced the SO Database and printed off a new Label and the barcode scans fine. So now I am wondering if I can just generate a SQL Query with the Item lookup Code and Item ID and export it to Excel. Use Excels UPPER Formula to change all Item Lookup Codes to Uppercase and then export the data into the HQ Database. This seems a little far-fetched but it seems like it could work. Just would l...

FROM address with multiple accounts wrong
Hi: I have the following email accounts setup in Outlook: user1@mydomain.com (set as default account) user2@mydomain.com user1@mywork.net Everything is POP/SMTP. I select different accounts to send. Here is the behaviour: If I send an email to anyone it always goes out as coming from user1@mywork.net , regardless of what email I chose to send from. (yes, I've checked the email settings in Outlook, all email addresses are correct--I even tried setting a reply address as well--no joy). So all my replies come back to user1@mywork.net. Weird thing is--I can only get the FROM address to sh...

Can you hyperlink to a hyperlink?
I'm am having trouble linking/referencing a cell that contains another hyperlink. There is a master list on one tab, that has hyperlinks to all documents listed. Our other tabs (within the same spreadsheet) contain the same information that is stored in the master list tab, but specific to a group. (i.e. a training tab, lists only the training documents) The idea is to maintain only the hyperlink on the master list page, but allow others to click of the hyperlink to a document on their specific group tab, and it would open the document. Originally, I just used the &q...

Hyperlinks not hyperlinked in long messages
I am receiving a regular mail which contains many hyperlinks. It seems that, when the message exceeds a certain size, only the first hyperlinks work (colored blue and underlined), but they stop working somewhere in the last third of the message. I see this happening with messages with sizes of 129, 185, 210 KB. But on another message with 43KB all the hyperlinks work. (I can send the mentioned messages to someone willing to suggest a solution) I don't know if the problem has to do with the size of the message or the number of hyperlinks within. But if I break one of these messages i...

Hyperlinking images
I have a worksheet with several columns. One of the columns is entitled image which I've hyperlinked to image files. I thought that if I were to email this worksheet to someone else that my images would go along with it. Not happening. How do I set it up, so that the images are embedded on each row as a file name and if I email it to someone, all of the images are transferred also. I know it's a simple solution, but I'm not finding it. Thanks. You must either send all the image files along with the workbook or insert the images into the workbook. Sending ...

help importing group lists
I am using MS Outlook express and am trying to import some group lists into my contact folder but cannot drop them directly into the address book -- only the contacts folder. When I open that...no list or attachment is evident. JB You cannot import groups from OE. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jennifer@bronsoncommunications.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:128101c3df70$ffa54be0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am using MS Outlook express and am trying to import some > group lists into my contact folder but cannot drop them > directly int...

Conflict Message: Conflicting edits were made to this item
I have a user who has been getting the above error in outlook. We are currently running Exchange 2007 using cached exchange mode. and it appears to be on read receipts. Just beginning my investigation into this. ...

Outlook Mobile Access: Global Settings
We currently have a mixed mode Exchange Organization. We have just put our first Exhcange 2003 server in our Organzation but when we use the E2k3 System Manager we don't see Mobile Service Properties under Global Settings. The Forest Prep/Domain Prep and Exchange install all went fine. Any ideas? Regards, Brian ...

Tools - Options
I've started having a problem with my default font in datasheets. In all my dbs, the datasheet font was suddenly something different. I went into the Tools - Options - Datasheet tab and the Default Font field is empty and there are no fonts showing in the list. I have dozens of fonts available and this just started happening recently after years of working fine. I have Access 2002 running on Win XP. Any ideas? Thanks Maury, there was a problem with this in Access 2002. I thought MS had fixed it with one of the early service packs. Suggestions: 1. Go to http://support.microsoft.co...

Hyperlink?
I have been trying to put a hyperlink to a bank in an Excel cell. After difficulty I tried very carefully to follow instructions. When I click on the link, I get a message that starts with "Unable to open <address>" and ends with "Cannot download the information you requested." I do not know if the following is a clue. The address in the cell starts with http://. If I manually copy the address and paste it into the browser it works. But the address that finally appears starts with https://. The rest of the address is modified as well. I am using a relatively...

create a hyperlink field for a tamplate?
I have a template with various fields, when I make use of it, all fields are displayed correctly. One of this fields is a text string that holds pathname and file name of a document related to the record. I would like to have this string come in as a hyperlink, and not have to go and manually change each cell in the column with the Insert - Hyperlink commands. Does anyone knows how to do this? NEW If using Excel 2002 or 2003 you can set this up under Tools>Autocorrect Options>Autoformat as you type. For existing strings a formula in an adjacent cell....... =HYPERLINK(cellref) ...

Outlook 2003: Unable to print email from right click menu unless item is opened
I am a new user to Outlook 2003. In my prior version, after I would read the e-mail message in the inbox, I would right click the message which would bring up the menu. When I click "Print" I get a dialogue box which says "Please open this HTML message to print it." How can I bypass this and just print it without fully opening it as I was able to do in the prior version of Outlook? Thank you! ...

Adding Outlook Address Book 'Contacts' per user through Group Poli
I am upgrading our users from Office XP to Office 2003 using Active Directory Group Poilicy Install with an MST file. The problem i am having is that after the install when the user logs on, i have to manually add their Personal Contacts by using the EMAIL ACCOUNT selection under TOOLS in outlook and then adding it as a new directory or address book; choosing additional address books and then selecting OUTLOOK ADDRESS BOOK. Can this be set up so that when a user, any user, and every user that uses a particular workstation logs onto that workstation, their Outlook Address Book is aut...

Ability to attach Outlook email items to an Activity
The Attachment functionality allows attaching any browseable artificate in the system, i.e. documents, presentations, etc. Emails in their native form are not a tangible, browseable artifact and consequently cannot be attached. Emails can be imported into the Application as Activities with Email content stored in text fields. The requirement is to be able to browse through the email items (similar to attaching items alongwith a mail in Microsoft Outlook) and attach them. Can you please suggest any way in which this can be done? ...