How to transfer Outlook e-mail archives into Outlook Express?

I'm convinced to abandon Microsoft Outlook as my e-mail client and return to
Outlook Express.  That decision is now weeks old,  yet I still haven't done
it !
   ...Because I can't get any confidence about translating my archives from
Outlook into O.E.   I'm worried that the folder/file names use different
extensions (as I think they do) in one program versus the other.

Only Ork
0
OnlyOrk (2)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:35:06 -0800, "Only Ork"
<OnlyOrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm convinced to abandon Microsoft Outlook as my e-mail client and return to
>Outlook Express.  That decision is now weeks old,  yet I still haven't done
>it !
>   ...Because I can't get any confidence about translating my archives from
>Outlook into O.E.   I'm worried that the folder/file names use different
>extensions (as I think they do) in one program versus the other.

All of your Outlook archives (assuming you've archived correctly) will have
a .pst extension. Making certain that you can view hidden files, do a search
for all .pst files. Once found, use Outlook Express' Import feature to
import all of your Outlook .pst files by browsing to each one in turn.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Email Client: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
News Client (Text): Fort´┐Ż Agent 2.0   www.forteinc.com
News Client (Binaries): News Rover 10.1   www.newsrover.com

SgtRich <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote:

> All of your Outlook archives (assuming you've archived correctly)
> will have a .pst extension. Making certain that you can view hidden
> files, do a search for all .pst files. Once found, use Outlook
> Express' Import feature to import all of your Outlook .pst files by
> browsing to each one in turn.

Outlook Express will not import PSTs.  It only imports directly from
Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
2/3/2005 3:14:56 PM
Only Ork <OnlyOrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm convinced to abandon Microsoft Outlook as my e-mail client and
> return to Outlook Express.  That decision is now weeks old,  yet I
> still haven't done it !

Could you give your reasons?  I'm curious.

>   ...Because I can't get any confidence about translating my archives
> from Outlook into O.E.   I'm worried that the folder/file names use
> different extensions (as I think they do) in one program versus the
> other.

The folder names and extensions have nothing to do with it.  Outlook Express
can be used to import folders in the Outlook's delivery location.  If you
have multiple PSTs in Outlook and you wish to import into Outlook Express,
you can open in Outlook the PST you wish to import into OE, make it the
delivery location, and then use OE's File>Import>Messages wizard, selecting
"Microsoft Outlook" as the source.  The folders will import into OE with the
same names.  If you already have a folder in OE with the Outlook folder
name, the messages in the folder will be merged into the OE folder (possibly
causing duplicates).

If yuo proceed through all your PSTs that way, selecting each in turn as the
delivery location in Outlook, you'll eventually import everything into OE.
You can even import your Calendar, Tasks, Notes, and so on into OE, but
they'll all appear as mail messages, since OE doesn't have any concept of
calendaring or task management.

If you want to establish multiple message stores for OE, with each archive
in Outlook beling placed in a separate OE message store, you can do that,
too, by using the Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store Folder button.  Just be
careful or you could damage an existing message store.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
2/3/2005 3:26:41 PM
AND WHAT IS A "message store"?  I MUST ASK.  AND THANKS. YOUR METHOD WAS A
SUCCESS!

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Only Ork <OnlyOrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm convinced to abandon Microsoft Outlook as my e-mail client and
> > return to Outlook Express.  That decision is now weeks old,  yet I
> > still haven't done it !
>
> Could you give your reasons?  I'm curious.
>
> >   ...Because I can't get any confidence about translating my archives
> > from Outlook into O.E.   I'm worried that the folder/file names use
> > different extensions (as I think they do) in one program versus the
> > other.
>
> The folder names and extensions have nothing to do with it.  Outlook Express
> can be used to import folders in the Outlook's delivery location.  If you
> have multiple PSTs in Outlook and you wish to import into Outlook Express,
> you can open in Outlook the PST you wish to import into OE, make it the
> delivery location, and then use OE's File>Import>Messages wizard, selecting
> "Microsoft Outlook" as the source.  The folders will import into OE with the
> same names.  If you already have a folder in OE with the Outlook folder
> name, the messages in the folder will be merged into the OE folder (possibly
> causing duplicates).
>
> If yuo proceed through all your PSTs that way, selecting each in turn as the
> delivery location in Outlook, you'll eventually import everything into OE.
> You can even import your Calendar, Tasks, Notes, and so on into OE, but
> they'll all appear as mail messages, since OE doesn't have any concept of
> calendaring or task management.
>
> If you want to establish multiple message stores for OE, with each archive
> in Outlook beling placed in a separate OE message store, you can do that,
> too, by using the Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store Folder button.  Just be
> careful or you could damage an existing message store.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
OnlyOrk (2)
2/11/2005 12:23:06 AM
Only Ork <OnlyOrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> AND WHAT IS A "message store"?

A "message store" is a file or set of files in which messages are stored.
For Outlook, that's either an Exchange mailbox or a PST.  For Outlook
Express, it's the DBX (or formerly, the MBX/IDX) files.  For Thunderbird,
it's the mbox files, and so on.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

Outlook 2K3 News Reader
Hi ya'll! I jsut upgraded to Outlook 2003. I was trying to get into the news reader as we did on Outlook XP and found that I had to add the "Go to - News" command to the Go to button. I followed the directions given in the help to do that but don't see the "news" command in the list of commands to choose from. does anyone know another way to get to the news reader on Outlook 2003? Or if not, I know there was a way to alter the shortcut to Outlook Express to only open up as only the news reader. Does anyone remember what that is?? Thanks in advance -- Bruce ...

Outlook 2007 Calendar Reminder Not Working
Though I have it selected to remind, the Reminder in Outlook does not work (a reminder pop-up doesn't appear). Any ideas?? W7U 32 Office Pro 2007 Check out this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286166 Saidas wrote: >Though I have it selected to remind, the Reminder in Outlook does not work (a >reminder pop-up doesn't appear). > >Any ideas?? > >W7U 32 Office Pro 2007 -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/outlook-calendar/201001/1 ...

New Mailbox not receiving mails
We have recently added a new mailbox to Exchange 2000 on our company's server. The user can access his mails via our ISP but they do not appear to be uploading onto the server. He is using Outlook 2003. We can't find any differences between the new user profile and the previous profiles that work OK. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we need to do? No-one at my company is that familiar with Exchange. Thanks in advance HI In the User propertieas (in active directory users and computers) check if the user have e-mail address, Regards, Shai Netanel "Darach" ...

about transfer order

Outlook 2000 and Exchange
I have a situation with multiple Windows 2003 Servers. There is a domain server and another server runs exchange, terminal services, etc. Each user is set up in active directory with their groups. But it seems that Outlook 2000 has to be set up for each user on each machine individually and for users who don't have enough rights, it's quite difficult to set up at all. I know there is a way for Outlook to be automatically configured for whatever user logs in to the local machine but I don't know how to do it. EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.egghead...

outlook vs outlook express #10
I have MS office 2003 basic... is there a way to shut off the Outlook Express e-mail without shutting down the news reader ? TIA JC If you launch OE from Outlook it will start in News only mode. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "John C" <nospam@noway.FU> wrote in message news:DaP6f.5408$U2.3334@trndny04... >I have MS office 2003 basic... is there a way to shut off the Outlook >Express e-mail without shutting down the news reader ? > > TIA > JC > Yes, launch OE (MSIMN.EXE) with either the /newsonly or /outnews command line switches. I use the /...

Transfering messages

Outlook 2007 calendar day/week/mo view
Vista Ult When I have the current view set to Day/Week/Mo (with or without auto preview) the screen ALWAYS defaults to the Day view. I have tried resetting the view to defaults; closing Outlook and rebooting; changing the view to something else and then changin back... nothing seems to work. Thoughts? Alex Have you tried starting Outlook one time with the /cleanviews switch? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratch...

Publisher freezes when Outlook Open
I recently purchased and installed Office 2007 Professional with Outlook Business Contact Manager and when I try to start Publisher with Outlook already open Publisher freezes. If Outlook is not open everything works just fine. Except when I try to email from Publisher it will freeze when Outlook tries to open and send the email. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The program stops responding when you try to open or to save a file in an Office 2002 program, in an Office 2003 program and in an Office 2007 program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP ht...

does the /cleanprofile command line switch work with Outlook 2010?
I deleted the registry entries for Outlook without backing up my registry (as I should have), and I am now looking for a way to restore them. From my research, it looks like the "/cleanprofile" command line switch would do the trick. However, when I try it with Outlook 2010, I get an error message saying the argument is not valid and to verify it. Am i using the argument with improper syntax? Is it still available with this version of Outlook? If it is no longer supported with 2010, is there a replacement that does the same thing? Am I going down the wrong path ...

E-mail Excel Attachments to People Who do not have Excel
I want to send a short Excel table in an e-mail to allow for recipents to input their basic contact information and hit reply with the updated table. The table will be 2 rows (1 row will be a header) and about 8 columns. Alot of these e-mail recipients do not have Excel, and some have no MS Office products at all. I want an easy way to collect basic contact information from people and import it into a large Excel spreadsheet for a club I am doing work for. Our club does not have the money or knowledge to setup a input database on a web site to collect such information. How can ...

HR Position Transfers

Outlook/Exchange/Internet mail configuration intricacy...
Hi, We have two exchange servers on our organization. One is dedicated for internal usage, the other is for internet mail. Both are in separate Active Directory servers. They dont know each other. Both operate on SMTP. The problems start when I configure an user of the internal server (Outlook 2000) to connect via SMTP/POP3 to the external server. Some internet messages get into the internal server. If I set in the Transport tab that the Internet Service has priority over the Exchange (internal) then I get better results but anyway some Internet messages go to the internal server, specially w...

Windows Easy Transfer

Outlook will not open #5
Problem has not happened before. I don't get an error message or anything. It just does nothing. Can anyone help? Thanks. ...

Outlook 2000
When I click on the Customize Outlook Today button nothing happens. It should open up a configuration window. I've got exactly the same problem and I'm stumped. I've been through the knowledge base and found nothing. I hope someone knows the fix. >-----Original Message----- >When I click on the Customize Outlook Today button nothing >happens. It should open up a configuration window. >. > OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;8205...

Filtering outgoing email in Outlook 2003
Does anyone know if Outlook 2003 will filter outgoing mail so that it is moved from Sent Mail to a designated folder (not copied, but moved). Outlook XP does not do this, but curiously Office for the Mac has done this for years. You can do this by: - turning off the option to automatically move sent items to the Sent Item folder (Tools menu > Options > Email) - creating rules to copy specific sent items you want to your chosen folder(s) - creating a final 'catch-all' rule with no selection criteria (Outlook will warn you but will let you do this) to copy any remaining sen...

Outlook 97 vs. Outlook Express
I recently reinstalled Outlook Office 97. Since then I do not have the options of what email program I want to use in IE. I did have Outlook Express as my choice, now my only option is Outlook. How do I get Outlook Express as an option? You can change this by opening up IE going to Tools- Internet Options-Programs, there you can set your default email client. -Dave >-----Original Message----- >I recently reinstalled Outlook Office 97. Since then I do not have the >options of what email program I want to use in IE. I did have Outlook >Express as my choice, now my onl...

Microsoft Outlook Express #2
I have five identities and I can go from one identity to another; but after 5-6 changes (from one identity to another) I am locked up out of Outlook and I have to restart the system (not Microsoft, but the operating system). I use Windows XP. Hey, I'm not actually sure about your prob, but there is a separate forum/newsgroup for Outlook Express. If you look to the left, you should see a main category called "Internet Technologies (5th main category from the top). Underneath that category should be a listing of four different Internet Explorer categories. Choose the ver...

Transferring an order to an invoice...

TRANSFER OUT TO TRANSFER OUT
I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH RMS FOR OVER A YEAR AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM. STORE A MAKES A TRANSFER OUT AND STORE B RECEIVES A COMPUTER TRANSFER IN THE TRANSFER OUT WINDOW INSTEAD OF A TRANSFER IN. IN ADDITION TO THAT THE TRANSFER HAS BEEN CLOSED AT STORE B'S END AUTOMITICALLY AND IT IS EMPTY. AN KNOWLEDGE AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENS THANKS Check HQ Client for errors, or from HQ Manager, view the event log for that store. You'll probably find some errors at Store B on the 401 that created the transfer. I would guess that Store A used a transfer number with more than 14 c...

SBS 2003 and Outlook redirect
I have just installed a Windows Small Business Server and I can do everything but redirect email to an internet email address. Redirect works fine to an internal address, so the rule must be running. I am using Outlook 2003 as the Exchange client. What am I missing? Thanks, Doug Problem solved "Doug" <dpotts6366@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:u0CM7oGWEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have just installed a Windows Small Business Server and I can do > everything but redirect email to an internet email address. Redirect works > fine to an internal address, so th...

adding outlook web access account to regular outlook?
How do I add my outlook web access account to regular outlook? Can I? Does the fact that it is a student account matter? No, you'll need to use your browser for OWA.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "Monica" <Monica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:03686868-E751-42FB-9030-D09E1979CBCE@microsoft.com... ...

Fixed Asset transfer for a New Company
Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a transfer to a new company? Can you give us a little more detail on what you are needing to accomplish? If two companies are different legal entities there are all kinds of other rules on 'transferring' assets. Is this just a new database or are you doing an intercompany transaction? We can help, we just need a little more explanation. "FA user" wrote: > Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a > transfer to a new company? ...