How to sort by name then date?

I would like to look through all the emails to a particular person.  If I
click on the "To" column I can see all the emails to a particular person
(actually there is a problem with that which I will mention next) but they
seem to be in random order.  Is there a way to have them sorted by date?
(i.e. by name first, then by date).

Actually, sorting on the "To" column does not get all the emails sent to a
given email address.  Because Outlook uses the "display as" field.  It will
often give different "display as" names to the same email address.  Can
someone suggest a good way to get all the emails to a given email address?

Thanks,

Huck

0
huckrorick (70)

In Outlook 2003 there is a GROUP BY button.

Outlook 2003's Advanced Toolbar contains commands that
allow you mainly to customize the interface on the fly, and the
display of emails.

If the Advanced Toolbar is not visible, go to View > Toolbars,
and click Advanced. Alternatively, right-click one of the other
toolbars or menu labels ("File", "Edit", "View" .), and click Advanced.

Once you can see the GROUP BY button on the Advanced tool
bar, click it. This will open a small darker gray window Just below
where it says INBOX and above the FROM and SUBJECT LINEs.

Now Drag the FROM title header and drop in in the darker gray area
above. Then drag the RECEIVED title header to the darker gray area
above. This will show your Inbox items sorted into groups using the
FROM first then date RECEIVED secondary.

Nikki

"Huck Rorick" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in message
I would like to look through all the emails to a particular person.  If I
click on the "To" column I can see all the emails to a particular person
(actually there is a problem with that which I will mention next) but they
seem to be in random order.  Is there a way to have them sorted by date?
(i.e. by name first, then by date).

Actually, sorting on the "To" column does not get all the emails sent to a
given email address.  Because Outlook uses the "display as" field.  It will
often give different "display as" names to the same email address.  Can
someone suggest a good way to get all the emails to a given email address?

Thanks,
Huck

you can either use Advanced find to search by email address or add the
sender email address field to the view - I think you can group by that
field.

find by address: http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20060831.htm
sender address field: http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Huck Rorick" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in message
> I would like to look through all the emails to a particular person.  If I
> click on the "To" column I can see all the emails to a particular person
> (actually there is a problem with that which I will mention next) but they
> seem to be in random order.  Is there a way to have them sorted by date?
> (i.e. by name first, then by date).
>

> Actually, sorting on the "To" column does not get all the emails sent to a
> given email address.  Because Outlook uses the "display as" field.  It
> will often give different "display as" names to the same email address.
> Can someone suggest a good way to get all the emails to a given email
> address?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Huck

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/20/2009 4:27:01 AM
Hi,

I guess I forgot to say I am using Outlook 2002.  The advanced toolbar
doesn't seem to have a "Group by" button.  Can this be done in Outlook 2002?

Thanks,

Huck
"Nikki Peterson" <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In Outlook 2003 there is a GROUP BY button.
>
> Outlook 2003's Advanced Toolbar contains commands that
> allow you mainly to customize the interface on the fly, and the
> display of emails.
>
> If the Advanced Toolbar is not visible, go to View > Toolbars,
> and click Advanced. Alternatively, right-click one of the other
> toolbars or menu labels ("File", "Edit", "View" .), and click Advanced.
>
> Once you can see the GROUP BY button on the Advanced tool
> bar, click it. This will open a small darker gray window Just below
> where it says INBOX and above the FROM and SUBJECT LINEs.
>
> Now Drag the FROM title header and drop in in the darker gray area
> above. Then drag the RECEIVED title header to the darker gray area
> above. This will show your Inbox items sorted into groups using the
> FROM first then date RECEIVED secondary.
>
> Nikki
>
> "Huck Rorick" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in message
> I would like to look through all the emails to a particular person.  If I
> click on the "To" column I can see all the emails to a particular person
> (actually there is a problem with that which I will mention next) but they
> seem to be in random order.  Is there a way to have them sorted by date?
> (i.e. by name first, then by date).
>
> Actually, sorting on the "To" column does not get all the emails sent to a
> given email address.  Because Outlook uses the "display as" field.  It
> will
> often give different "display as" names to the same email address.  Can
> someone suggest a good way to get all the emails to a given email address?
>
> Thanks,
> Huck

0
huckrorick (70)
1/24/2009 1:26:08 AM
You can group in older versions.  Apply the By Sender view then sort by
date.

--

> Hi,
>
> I guess I forgot to say I am using Outlook 2002.  The advanced toolbar
> doesn't seem to have a "Group by" button.  Can this be done in Outlook
> 2002?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Huck
> "Nikki Peterson" <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In Outlook 2003 there is a GROUP BY button.
>>
>> Outlook 2003's Advanced Toolbar contains commands that
>> allow you mainly to customize the interface on the fly, and the
>> display of emails.
>>
>> If the Advanced Toolbar is not visible, go to View > Toolbars,
>> and click Advanced. Alternatively, right-click one of the other
>> toolbars or menu labels ("File", "Edit", "View" .), and click Advanced.
>>
>> Once you can see the GROUP BY button on the Advanced tool
>> bar, click it. This will open a small darker gray window Just below
>> where it says INBOX and above the FROM and SUBJECT LINEs.
>>
>> Now Drag the FROM title header and drop in in the darker gray area
>> above. Then drag the RECEIVED title header to the darker gray area
>> above. This will show your Inbox items sorted into groups using the
>> FROM first then date RECEIVED secondary.
>>
>> Nikki
>>
>> "Huck Rorick" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in message
>> I would like to look through all the emails to a particular person.  If I
>> click on the "To" column I can see all the emails to a particular person
>> (actually there is a problem with that which I will mention next) but
>> they
>> seem to be in random order.  Is there a way to have them sorted by date?
>> (i.e. by name first, then by date).
>>
>> Actually, sorting on the "To" column does not get all the emails sent to
>> given email address.  Because Outlook uses the "display as" field.  It
>> will
>> often give different "display as" names to the same email address.  Can
>> someone suggest a good way to get all the emails to a given email
>> address?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Huck

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/24/2009 5:11:29 AM
Hi Huck,

The Group By Box is located on the Advanced toolbar in OL2002.

Activate the Advanced Toolbar by:
- Click on the VIEW menu bar
- Select TOOLBARS
- Select ADVANCED TOOLBAR

Click the Group By Box located on the Advanced Toolbar
Or
Right-click the gray bar with the field headings and select Group By
Box.

- Select the appropriate field header you want to group by
- Click and drag the field header up into the blank area created above
  the folder. Messages will now be grouped according to that heading.
- To create a sub-group, simply select a second heading and drag it
  underneath the first group heading.
- To display the messages within a group, click on the plus sign next to
  each group heading.

To remove a grouping:
- Click and drag the field heading back down beside the other field
  names within the header row. As you drag the field heading down, a
  red arrow will guide you to place the heading in position.
- Turn off the grouping feature by deselecting the Group By Box button
  or right-click the gray bar with the field headings and deselect Group By
  Box.

> [...]
>> FROM first then date RECEIVED secondary.
>>
>> Nikki
>>
>> "Huck Rorick" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in message
>> I would like to look through all the emails to a particular person.  If I
>> click on the "To" column I can see all the emails to a particular person
>> (actually there is a problem with that which I will mention next) but
>> they
>> seem to be in random order.  Is there a way to have them sorted by date?
>> (i.e. by name first, then by date).
>>
>> Actually, sorting on the "To" column does not get all the emails sent to
>> given email address.  Because Outlook uses the "display as" field.  It
>> will
>> often give different "display as" names to the same email address.  Can
>> someone suggest a good way to get all the emails to a given email

0
huckrorick (70)

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Formula to return the name of a tab?
We have a spreadsheet set up that pulls the minimum value from several different tabs. We are looking for a formula or a way to display, in the next column, which tab that minimum value came from. Does anyone have any ideas? You might check the Help files for information on the SHEETNAME function. Ed "Amanda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54F7CB4F-A621-4DB0-9963-56F0406EE8F1@microsoft.com... > We have a spreadsheet set up that pulls the minimum value from several different tabs. We are looking for a formula or a way to display, in the next...

Row names will not move with sort

formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily
formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily =NOW() or =TODAY() -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1065C8D9-220E-4071-AEEC-B3ECE6593D1D@microsoft.com... > formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily ...

Microsoft Query criteria syntax for date() or today()
Essentially, I need MS Query syntax for a calculation based on today's date. I'm using Microsoft Query from inside Excel to extract data from an ODBC database. I want to download everything with a date of, say, in the last 60 days. I can't find any documentation for Microsoft Query and its Help doesn't seem to address this. I've tried Excel and Access systax such as >Date()- 60 and =Today()-60. I've tried copying in the SQL text created by Access. I don't know how to say "Today" or "Now" or "Date". Any help out there? ...

Creating A Chart that counts repitition (don't know name)
So, I feel like a moron not knowing this. But I must have had a brain freeze for the last week. I have a tableset of about 300 rows in Excel 2007 with one column being a name and the other being a year. I want to create a graph of the years. IE Y Axis = number of times a certain year appears in the tableset column and the x axis being the years between (year k and year m). Sounds like a histogram. First you need to compile the data, then make a chart of the compiled data. Here's how: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ConsolidateData.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microso...

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

sorting macro #3

Sorting checking register

sum if and between dates
Hi all I am trying to sum information based on the following conditions Cell E3 = Sum if = *Account A* and between *>= 20/6/05 and <=24/6/05* The Answer would be 279 A B C D E 1 19/06/2005 Account A 125 20/06/2005 2 20/06/2005 Account A 150 24/06/2005 3 21/06/2005 Account B 156 Account A 4 22/06/2005 Account B 135 5 23/06/2005 Account C 142 6 24/06/2005 Account A 129 7 25/06/2005 Account C 200 8 26/06/2005 Account A 300 -- mathewheys ---------------------------------------------------...

how2: show contact name and phone fields in task list
It would be useful if I could display contact name and phone number fields in my task list. In Simple View I've used Field Chooser to insert these columns into the table .. but alas! the fields are blank. Can I do what I want to do and .. how? thanks Any folder view shows only the data in that folder, even though Outlook lets you think otherwise by allowing you to add fields from different types of items in the folder. You may be able to accomplish what you want, however, with a little custom VBA code. For an example, see http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=566 -- Su...

Method Naming
Hello, This might be a strange question but I am creating a few repositories and I am looking how should I name my methods. I have been looking in C# and I came up with the following: public interface IAlbumRepository { void Add(Album album); IQueryable<Album> FindAll(); Album FindById(Int32 id); void Remove(Int32 id); void Save(); void Update(Album album); } // IAlbumRepository What do you think? Previously I had "Create", "Delete", etc. But I think this is maybe closer to what is usually done. Not? Thanks, Mi...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

How do I get Outlook to automatic load a name from my contact lis.
I can not get Outlook to automatic load a name from my contact list. It keeps loading names and addresses from the old Outlook Express address book, which has been deleted? Outlook cannot do that so you are mistaken. A clear description of what you're doing and what you're seeing is necessary for anyone to help you. A term like "keeps loading names" is meaningless to anyone not watching you. Always include your version when posting a question. -- Russ Valentine "njrj" <njrj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A5E9522-92BC-4528-...

Enhancement for capitalizing dates
Why not allow the user to display months and weekdays in all uppercase (caps) by typing the format abbreviations in uppercase (caps)? For example, MMM or MMMM or DDD or DDDD in any date format would display the text months and weekdays in uppercase. This straight-forward convention is used in other programs and, in fact, is even used for displaying a.m./p.m. (lowercase) or A.M./P.M. (uppercase) in Excel by capitalizing the format abbreviations for time. This seems like a no brainer . . . Blue Max wrote: > Why not allow the user to display months and weekdays in all uppercase >...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Group Dates in Pivot Table
I have a checkbook register worksheet setup as a list manager. Everytime I create a new entry, the worksheet will automatically inser the next row below followed by the subtotal line. From this worksheet, I created a PivotTable worksheet in the sam workbook. The problem comes where it forces me to choose betwee grouping the dates and being able to refresh the table with update info in the checkbook register. Ex. I created the PivotTable at row 81 of the checkbook register. Whe I add entries below row 81, the pivot table will not update tha information. If I make entries to row 85, th...

Aged Trial Balance as on a particular Date
Hi, When I print the Aged Trial Balance report in purchase module as on a particular date, it does not filter the transactions, instead it shows up transactions beyond the filtered date. Both the document date and posting date of the transactions getting displayed are after the filtered date. For example, I give 31-12-2008 as the date in the "Pint / Age as of: Enter Date" option. The report output shows up transactions with Document Date and Posting Date after 31-12-2008. Can anyone tell me what could be the reason? Thanks & Regards, Perumal Perumal, You need to us...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...