how to set ad-hoc return address in Outlook 2007?

To keep myself sane and practically eliminate the need for bayesian spam
filtering, I have my mail server set up to use adhoc aliases.

When an incoming message gets received, it looks to see whether there's a
hyphen in the local portion of the address (as in,
'foo-something@mydomain.net'). If there is, it delivers the message to the
account matched by the text on the left side of the hyphen, but preserves
everything on the right side for downstream spam filtering. I make up new
addresses for everyone who sends mail to me (like 'foo-dad@mydomain.net',
'foo-amazon@mydomain.net', 'foo-someonelikely2spam@mydomain.net', etc). That
way, if someone's address book gets sniffed by a trojan and my address falls
into spammer hands, all I have to do is set a procmail rule to silently
blackhole incoming mail sent to that alias, and make the person who used to
use that address send mail to a new address instead.

It works brilliantly. I no longer have to worry that some idiot friend or
coworker will carelessly destroy yet another email address of mine by sending
me a "free" online greeting card, or otherwise giving up my address in ways
that I myself never would. And when I encounter a website that extorts my
address, it's no big deal. I just make up a unique address for that site, and
if I start getting spammed, I just nuke that alias.

On a typical day, my procmail script kills about 24,000 incoming emails from
spammers sent to compromised aliases I've blackholed, and 99% of the rest are
good. When I find spam, all I have to do is check to see what alias it was
addressed to, add it to the blackhole list, and kick a note over to the
person to whom it originally belonged to let them know that future mail has
to be sent to a new address.

Therein lies the catch -- when replying to an incoming email message, I need
to have Outlook sniff the actual message to see what the address was (because
the actual mail server account literally tells only "half the story" -- the
part that would go on the left side of the hyphen), and allow me to easily
enter an arbitrary return address when I create a new message. For the past
couple of years I've used Thunderbird (which has always had a nice plugin to
do just that), but now that I have Outlook 2k7 handy to play with, I've
decided to give it a fair shot to see if it can do what I need.

Can it? How?
0
S1 (162)

the best you can do in outlook in type any address in the from field.
outlook won't show you who it was sent to unless the address is in the To
field with no display name - you'll need to look at the header.  You could
use rules to flag messages based on the address, but you'll need a rule for
each address. If you do this, you can use the Flag to field (flag message
for follow action) to display the actual address.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Jeff S" <Jeff S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To keep myself sane and practically eliminate the need for bayesian spam
> filtering, I have my mail server set up to use adhoc aliases.
>
> When an incoming message gets received, it looks to see whether there's a
> hyphen in the local portion of the address (as in,
> 'foo-something@mydomain.net'). If there is, it delivers the message to the
> account matched by the text on the left side of the hyphen, but preserves
> everything on the right side for downstream spam filtering. I make up new
> addresses for everyone who sends mail to me (like 'foo-dad@mydomain.net',
> 'foo-amazon@mydomain.net', 'foo-someonelikely2spam@mydomain.net', etc).
> That
> way, if someone's address book gets sniffed by a trojan and my address
> falls
> into spammer hands, all I have to do is set a procmail rule to silently
> blackhole incoming mail sent to that alias, and make the person who used
> use that address send mail to a new address instead.
>
> It works brilliantly. I no longer have to worry that some idiot friend or
> coworker will carelessly destroy yet another email address of mine by
> sending
> me a "free" online greeting card, or otherwise giving up my address in
> ways
> that I myself never would. And when I encounter a website that extorts my
> address, it's no big deal. I just make up a unique address for that site,
> and
> if I start getting spammed, I just nuke that alias.
>
> On a typical day, my procmail script kills about 24,000 incoming emails
> from
> spammers sent to compromised aliases I've blackholed, and 99% of the rest
> are
> good. When I find spam, all I have to do is check to see what alias it was
> addressed to, add it to the blackhole list, and kick a note over to the
> person to whom it originally belonged to let them know that future mail
> has
> to be sent to a new address.
>
> Therein lies the catch -- when replying to an incoming email message, I
> need
> to have Outlook sniff the actual message to see what the address was
> (because
> the actual mail server account literally tells only "half the story" --
> the
> part that would go on the left side of the hyphen), and allow me to easily
> enter an arbitrary return address when I create a new message. For the
> past
> couple of years I've used Thunderbird (which has always had a nice plugin
> do just that), but now that I have Outlook 2k7 handy to play with, I've
> decided to give it a fair shot to see if it can do what I need.
>
> Can it? How?

0
outlookmvp (5838)

OWA Set Rule problem

How do I import messages in Eudora 7 into Outlook 2007?
I have always used Eudora for my email but now I would like to use Outlook for my business email and keep Eudora for my personal email. I have the addresses set up and am receiving new emails in Outlook, but I would like to move the messages previously downloaded by Eudora into Outlook to keep everything together. How can I accomplish it? See what formats Eudora will export to, that Outlook can import. Maybe csv format Or Export msgs from Eudora to Outlook Express (Assuming not a Vista PC) then in Express Export to Outlook "jmstruwe" <jmstruwe@discussions.microsoft.com&...

how to return serial number of serialized item that was just scann
is there a property that will return the serial number of the item just added if the item is serialized? i need to set the value of a variable with this serial number, to populate a text field in a userform. is this possible? thank you, kevin I don't know if this is it but have you tried... TransactionEntry.Serialized Property The Serialized property gets the serialized item for the transaction entry. Public Property Get Serialized( ) As SerializedItem Property Value SerializedItem object that contains the serialized item for the transaction entry. If the item for the transaction...

setting up new outlook mail account

Outlook 2003 hangs on exit
When closing Outlook 2003, the icon remains in the systray and the process continues to run. Forced to terminate OUTLOOK.EXE process in order to restart Outlook. Any ideas? Look for 3rd party applications that are holding it open for data use. (Activesync, WinFax, Antivirus) -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "kmeszaros@landam.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081601c3b3ab$ef4e6e20$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When closing Outlook 2003, the icon remains in the > systr...

How to set backcolour

Outlook Express like address book window
Is there a way to get a window frame in Outlook with a listing of addresses in one's default address book, much like that in Outlook Express? Thanks for any input Outlook is not Express so probably not. Why do you not use your contacts folder in Outlook? List it in phone list view. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Curtis Vaughan asked: | Is there a way to get a window frame in Outlook with a listing of | add...

Editing/Renaming a senders Email Address in the received message
Hello - I'm in a bit of a situation. I use a web processing cgi script that doesn't allow the senders address to be that of the email field on my web site's form - so any messages I receive processed through the web form have an email/reply-to address of FORMBUDDY (no- reply@formbuddy.com). Now, with hundreds of forms in my inbox, I'd like to change the sender/reply to address manually, so that everytime I want to send an email to the individual/company who filled out the form, I don't have to cut and paste there email address in to the TO: field. Anotherwords,...

Outlook 2003 Disconnected from Exchange Server 2003, will not reconnect.
Two days ago after setting up a mobile phone to act as a modem for my laptop, testing it, and disabling the dial-up connection associated with it, and reconnecting to my domain and usual network (non-GPRS) I find that I can no longer connect to my Exchange Server. The "Working Offline" icon shows up in the lower-right hand corner of the Outlook Client window, and when I uncheck "Work Offline", I get prompted for a username and password. Normally, I should just be able to cancel out of this window and Outlook works fine again. However, since two days ago, it does not. Th...

Cannot delete mail in Outlook Express
I could not an Outlook Express user group so I will post my problem here. All of a sudden I received multiple copies of the same emails. I could delete most of them but some will not delete. Would appreciate your help. Mo "M Weiss" <m2weiss@verizon.net> wrote in message news:EwcPi.15456$Cd7.10143@trnddc03... >I could not an Outlook Express user group This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003/2007 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actually a separate program despite the similar name. For help with your OE questions, try an O...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

Word 2007 - Windows 7
We generate reports that contain still images of AVI animations. It used to be that we could drag and drop the AVI file into the document and a graphic image would appear; now all we get is an icon. I believe this occurred as the result of an upgrade to Window2 7 form XP SP2. We'd like to retain embedding the video as it can then be activated by a click should the reader decide to do that, but what happened to the still image? I expect it's something really stupid that I've forgotten, but you never know... ...

Reading Pane Settings

Outlook Problem #7
It was suggested that to solve my problem, I need to uninstall and reinstall my TCP/IP stack as it may be corrupt. What exactly do I have to do to uninstall and reinstall. Thanks to all and hopefully someone can tell me. Regards, Pete Coppola New Jersey ...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

Can I import 100 addresses into MapPoint, locate and print all?
I want to import and display up to 100 addresses (within a three county area) on a map that I can enlarge and print to a plotter. Can this be done with MapPoint? If so... How? Jaws wrote: > I want to import and display up to 100 addresses (within a three county area) > on a map that I can enlarge and print to a plotter. Can this be done with > MapPoint? > If so... How? MapPoint is a separate product from Excel. Bill From within MapPoint you can import the addresses from an Excel worksheet. I don't work with MapPoint but on experiment using Data>Import I...

Outlook locks up #6
Everytime I launch internet explorer my out will no longer launch with logging clopmetely out of XP and signing back on. Any ideas why this may be occurring? ...

Permission to add email address to user
We have a setup with a root domain called sun.local (SUN) and a child domain called ki.sun.local (KI). The forest and both domains are in Windows 2003 functional level. The SUN domain has an Exchange 2003 server running in native mode. In the SUN domain the user sunadmin is Enterprise Admin, Domain Admin and Exchange Full Administrator. In the KI domain the user kiadmin is Domain Admin. kiadmin had been made Exchange View Only Admin on the Exchange organization. We would like kiadmin to be able to create and administer new users in the KI domain and everything seems to work fine except ...

How do I set OOR

Set Focus