how to properly create new profile to use with existing pst file

OL 2002 SP3
Win XP HE SP1

*Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook*

hi,

it is possible that my current (default) OL profile has become corrupted.

i need to create a NEW profile for troubleshooting purposes and see if
it resolves current problems.

the most important issue is:
how do i create this new profile so that it uses my *current* pst file
so that i can have a seamless process and continue where i "left off" in
terms of all of the items contained in the *current* pst file, emails,
appointments, addresses, etc.?

do i just create new profile and tell it to "use *current* pst file to
send receive emails--as opposed to using the new pst file created during
new profile creation process?

if i "tell" OL to use my *current* pst file to receive emails, etc.,
will it then also read all of the addresses, tasks, etc., in the current
pst file--or are all this things handled separately and thus need to be
imported into new profile, etc.?

i am shooting for minimal disturbance between my current setup and what
it will be with new profile.....

thanks.
0
stef

It's done all the time. Just open your previous PST file in the new profile,
designate it to be the default, restart Outlook, and close the new PST file
the new profile created. In detail:
- Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add...
- Add the old PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit
the Options dialog
- Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts
- Select the PST you just added in the "Deliver New e-mail to the following
location" dropdown (it will most likely appear just below the current
default Personal Folders file) > Finish
- Exit and Restart Outlook
- You can now close the previous default PST (R-click on that pst folder
while in Folder View and select "Close <foldername> Folders"). If you have
any information in your former PST that you'd like to transfer to your new
default PST, you can drag and drop from one to the other before you close
the old one.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"stef" <stef.bm_at_hotmail.removethis.com> wrote in message
> OL 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE SP1
>
> *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook*
>
> hi,
>
> it is possible that my current (default) OL profile has become corrupted.
>
> i need to create a NEW profile for troubleshooting purposes and see if it
> resolves current problems.
>
> the most important issue is:
> how do i create this new profile so that it uses my *current* pst file so
> that i can have a seamless process and continue where i "left off" in
> terms of all of the items contained in the *current* pst file, emails,
> appointments, addresses, etc.?
>
> do i just create new profile and tell it to "use *current* pst file to
> send receive emails--as opposed to using the new pst file created during
> new profile creation process?
>
> if i "tell" OL to use my *current* pst file to receive emails, etc., will
> it then also read all of the addresses, tasks, etc., in the current pst
> file--or are all this things handled separately and thus need to be
> imported into new profile, etc.?
>
> i am shooting for minimal disturbance between my current setup and what it
> will be with new profile.....
>
> thanks.

0
russval1 (2100)
10/12/2006 8:40:55 PM
Hi Stef,

at first the most important information:

Before you delete the old profile you could create in addition the new
profile with the same PST file.

In the Control Panel under "Mail" (open this with a doubleclick), you can
click on "Show profiles" and here you can select "prompt this profile" then
Outlook wil aks you which profile you want to use. ;-)

Now you can select the new profile to see if this will work. If this
wouldn�t solve your problem you could delete the new profile and you can
work with the old one.

How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2002?:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287072

> do i just create new profile and tell it to "use *current* pst file to
> send receive emails--as opposed to using the new pst file created during
> new profile creation process?

No. After you created the new profile you normally get a new PST file. You
can change this new PST file with your old PST file. You must open the old
PST file in Outlook under "File/Open/Personal Folder PST".

Here is a link where Outlook store the PST file:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm

After you opend the old PST file you have to change the "delivery folder"
because you have 2 PST file in Outlook open. The old one and the empty new
one..

In Outlook under "Tools/Email accounts/Show existing Email accounts =>
Further, here you can change the delivery folder (in the left corner). Now
you must restart Outlook and you must prompt that Outlook changed the
delivery folder.

Now you can "delete" the empty PST file (click on the empty PST file
"Personal Folder" right mouseclick => Close) and you will have only the old
PST file with all information like emails, calendars, contacts etc..

> if i "tell" OL to use my *current* pst file to receive emails, etc.,
> will it then also read all of the addresses, tasks, etc., in the current
> pst file--or are all this things handled separately and thus need to be
> imported into new profile, etc.?

You don�t need to import the items, you can still work with your old PST
file.

What you have to do is to create the email accounts during you create the
new profile.

--
Oliver Vukovics
Share Outlook without Exchange: Public ShareFolder

"stef" <stef.bm_at_hotmail.removethis.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> OL 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE SP1
>
> *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook*
>
> hi,
>
> it is possible that my current (default) OL profile has become corrupted.
>
> i need to create a NEW profile for troubleshooting purposes and see if
> it resolves current problems.
>
> the most important issue is:
> how do i create this new profile so that it uses my *current* pst file
> so that i can have a seamless process and continue where i "left off" in
> terms of all of the items contained in the *current* pst file, emails,
> appointments, addresses, etc.?
>
> do i just create new profile and tell it to "use *current* pst file to
> send receive emails--as opposed to using the new pst file created during
> new profile creation process?
>
> if i "tell" OL to use my *current* pst file to receive emails, etc.,
> will it then also read all of the addresses, tasks, etc., in the current
> pst file--or are all this things handled separately and thus need to be
> imported into new profile, etc.?
>
> i am shooting for minimal disturbance between my current setup and what
> it will be with new profile.....
>
> thanks.

0
trash5936 (201)
10/12/2006 9:05:27 PM
Russ, thanks.
When u say: "If you have any information in your former PST that you'd
like to transfer to your new default PST, you can drag and drop from one
to the other before you close the old one." are u referring to Contacts
folders, categories, tasks, etc.
What are we talking about here?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> It's done all the time. Just open your previous PST file in the new
> profile, designate it to be the default, restart Outlook, and close the
> new PST file the new profile created. In detail:
> - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add...
> - Add the old PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to
> exit the Options dialog
> - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts
> - Select the PST you just added in the "Deliver New e-mail to the
> following location" dropdown (it will most likely appear just below the
> current default Personal Folders file) > Finish
> - Exit and Restart Outlook
> - You can now close the previous default PST (R-click on that pst folder
> while in Folder View and select "Close <foldername> Folders"). If you
> have any information in your former PST that you'd like to transfer to
> your new default PST, you can drag and drop from one to the other before
> you close the old one.

0
stef
10/12/2006 10:03:49 PM
Create your new Profile.
Quit Outlook
Rename (or delete) the new PST created.
Start Outlook.

It will say that it cannot find the PST file and then give you the option of
choosing one.

--
Regards
Sanjay Singh
"stef" <stef.bm_at_hotmail.removethis.com> wrote in message
> OL 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE SP1
>
> *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook*
>
> hi,
>
> it is possible that my current (default) OL profile has become corrupted.
>
> i need to create a NEW profile for troubleshooting purposes and see if it
> resolves current problems.
>
> the most important issue is:
> how do i create this new profile so that it uses my *current* pst file so
> that i can have a seamless process and continue where i "left off" in
> terms of all of the items contained in the *current* pst file, emails,
> appointments, addresses, etc.?
>
> do i just create new profile and tell it to "use *current* pst file to
> send receive emails--as opposed to using the new pst file created during
> new profile creation process?
>
> if i "tell" OL to use my *current* pst file to receive emails, etc., will
> it then also read all of the addresses, tasks, etc., in the current pst
> file--or are all this things handled separately and thus need to be
> imported into new profile, etc.?
>
> i am shooting for minimal disturbance between my current setup and what it
> will be with new profile.....
>
> thanks.

0
sanjays (7)
10/13/2006 12:20:21 AM
See these pages:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
Adding/Recreating a Mail Profile
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx
Reconnect your old Outlook data file

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4

"stef" <stef.bm_at_hotmail.removethis.com> wrote in message
> OL 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE SP1
>
> *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook*
>
> hi,
>
> it is possible that my current (default) OL profile has become corrupted.
>
> i need to create a NEW profile for troubleshooting purposes and see if
> it resolves current problems.
>
> the most important issue is:
> how do i create this new profile so that it uses my *current* pst file
> so that i can have a seamless process and continue where i "left off" in
> terms of all of the items contained in the *current* pst file, emails,
> appointments, addresses, etc.?
>
> do i just create new profile and tell it to "use *current* pst file to
> send receive emails--as opposed to using the new pst file created during
> new profile creation process?
>
> if i "tell" OL to use my *current* pst file to receive emails, etc.,
> will it then also read all of the addresses, tasks, etc., in the current
> pst file--or are all this things handled separately and thus need to be
> imported into new profile, etc.?
>
> i am shooting for minimal disturbance between my current setup and what
> it will be with new profile.....
>
> thanks.

0
hhh6225 (363)
10/13/2006 12:26:30 AM
Anything (except categories, which are stored in the registry, not the PST).
If you are closing a new, empty PST, then there is nothing to transfer, of
course.
--
> Russ, thanks.
> When u say: "If you have any information in your former PST that you'd
> like to transfer to your new default PST, you can drag and drop from one
> to the other before you close the old one." are u referring to Contacts
> folders, categories, tasks, etc.
> What are we talking about here?
>
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> It's done all the time. Just open your previous PST file in the new
>> profile, designate it to be the default, restart Outlook, and close the
>> new PST file the new profile created. In detail:
>> - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add...
>> - Add the old PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit
>> the Options dialog
>> - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts
>> - Select the PST you just added in the "Deliver New e-mail to the
>> following location" dropdown (it will most likely appear just below the
>> current default Personal Folders file) > Finish
>> - Exit and Restart Outlook
>> - You can now close the previous default PST (R-click on that pst folder
>> while in Folder View and select "Close <foldername> Folders"). If you
>> have any information in your former PST that you'd like to transfer to
>> your new default PST, you can drag and drop from one to the other before
>> you close the old one.

0
russval1 (2100)
10/13/2006 3:01:51 AM
OK, so it seems that in my case, there should not be anything to
transfer as i will be using the same pst file (not the newly created one).
however, i WILL have to recreate all the email accounts in new profile,
correct?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Anything (except categories, which are stored in the registry, not the PST).
> If you are closing a new, empty PST, then there is nothing to transfer, of
> course.
0
stef
10/13/2006 4:53:44 AM
Yes. It's best just to set up the mail accounts from scratch.
--
> OK, so it seems that in my case, there should not be anything to transfer
> as i will be using the same pst file (not the newly created one).
> however, i WILL have to recreate all the email accounts in new profile,
> correct?
>

> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> Anything (except categories, which are stored in the registry, not the
>> PST). If you are closing a new, empty PST, then there is nothing to
>> transfer, of course.

0
russval1 (2100)

Closing a quote as WON without creating an order
We don't use ORDERS in our CRM, but we do use Quotes. How can we close a quote as WON without having to create an order? Thanks, -- Len Ott Socket Communications You can add a value of WON to the closing of a Quote without creating an Order. You do this by editing the picklist on the Status Reason attribute in the Opportunity Entitiy. Once inside this attribute select "Closed" in the state field and add in the Won value. For more information search the CRM help files on "Edit attributes for an enitity". -- David Wasserman www.grandconsult.com "Le...

creating gantt charts
I have Excel 2000. Is there a way, using Excel, that I can create gantt charts or do I need additional software? What is the best way to create gantt charts for project management? > I have Excel 2000. You're in luck! Tusha's download "Works with Excel 2000 (or later) only". See http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ Rgds, Andy ...

PST2GB
I tried to use PST2GB to truncate my outlook.pst file but when running I received an error message to correct a file name - but no other information. The program will not run beyond this point. How do I determine which file name is a problem and the correction. ...

Using Data Migration Framework to import Contacts and Accounts
I am trying to use the DMF to import data into Contacts and Accounts in CRM 3.0. I am able to import data into accounts successfully. However if I try to import Contact data, it is not successful. I have tried both importing Contact data alongside Account data, and also just Contact data. Either way the import wizard runs but does not import Contacts. Is there something else that needs to be done to import Contacts? Also, is there a special procedure for linking up imported Contacts and Accounts? Right now I am simply setting the AccountID in the cdf_Contact database to create the...

Hiding a userform properly!
Please take a look at the code below which my workbook is using: '-------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Workbook_Open() Userform1.Show End Sub '------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() MsgBox "Initialize stuff here" Userform1.Hide MsgBox "Okay, form1 is hidden now!" Userform1.Show End Sub '-------------------------------------------------------- So....obviously this code will not work. I'm guessing that the second call to "Userform1.Show...

Add new field that is User Lookup
I have had many clients that need to attach multiple users to a single account. What I mean is there is an Owner for every account . That can be used as the "Account Manager" But what if you also need to track a loan processor to the account... Not possible. Suggestion: Allow a new filed type that is simply the CRM user list. It would also be great to be able to access these users via workflow (Send alert to loan processor). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion...

Using IF Function
I am trying to create a formula that will sum a list of cells and if the total exceeds a certain number it will return the number that is above that number. ie:sum = 48, I want the formula to show 8. thanks =IF(SUM(B16:B19)>48,SUM(B16:B19)-48,SUM(B16:B19)) Substitute your range of cells as required. "pjb" wrote: > I am trying to create a formula that will sum a list of cells and if the > total exceeds a certain number it will return the number that is above that > number. ie:sum = 48, I want the formula to show 8. thanks Don't understand where the 8 comes...

Palm T3 and Outlook--how to use together
I have a Palm T3, a faithful PDA for a couple years. But now I want to use Outlook 2007. 1) How to export Address Book to Outlook Contacts, and 2) can I hotSync my Contacts with Palm Address book? Thanks in advance Have you checked Palm Support for information? I have had several Palm devices but I have never tried to sync with both Outlook AND Palm Desktop. However, if you want to move completely to Outlook, first sync everything to your handheld, then change your conduits to the ones for Outlook and sync with Outlook. Again, Palm support is the best place for you to get complete ...

PROPER
I need to change the info in a column. Right now it is all uppercase and I need for it to be like a PROPER name. I tried the PROPER function and that is not working. I need to do the complete column. I am a novice at excel. Please help If the data is in A1, =PROPER(A1) and copy down, Regards, "Annie B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3b8e01c4a4be$c8587b80$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I need to change the info in a column. Right now it is > all uppercase and I need for it to be like a PROPER name. > I tried the PROPER function and that is...

Create a cook book
How do I create & print a picture/illustrated cookbook of family recipes? Help here 2003 Creating a publication http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062559031033.aspx and here 2007 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100487781033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Chevy 2" <Chevy 2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CFB366B-04B1-4CAF-BCE9-46541F19BC43@microsoft.com... > How do I create & print a picture/illustrated cookbook of family recipes? ...

restore one .sys file
The backup and restore options in vista I find confusing. I have done both types of backups . File backup and image backup from thems vista backup window. There is one file I want to restore that is in the windows \system32\drivers folder. But when I try to find this file in my backups I cant find the windows folders. It looks like the File backup only backs up user files primarily and the image backup only will restore the whole computer. So is it true that basically I cant backup / restore individual \windows\*.* files and folders ?? Thanks "steve" <stevesemp...

Images with transparent areas don't print properly.
I have a project to make an A4 poster with Images and text. 2 of the images have transparent backgrounds created in an imaging package (Paint Shop Pro) as .PNG files. When I insert these images into the Project they display fine but don't print properly - only a vague outline of the darker parts print. However on Print Preview the document looks perfect. The other non-transparent area images on the page print fine. I am using Publisher 2003 on Windows XP Pro printing to a networked OKI C5200N Colour laser printer on A4 size. What could be wrong here? I would suspect the printe...

what formula to use to calculate piece / time
Ok, I have a column in excel that tells me the piece count that people do, they have a start time column and end time column and the time that it took to do that is figured out by: =TEXT(J4-I4,"h:mm") in column K.. the count piece is in column H. How do I divide the count, say is column H reads 1500, and total time it took to do that was 2:00 2 hours, how do you divide 1500 by that time value ? or am I thinking it right ? You have to multiply the time by 24 to get hours as a decimal number of hours -- time is a fraction of a day (24 hours = 1 day).. Time started I4: 1...

How to create an avi file.
Hi can anybody help me to know how to create an avi file? -- Vashistha Kumar Singh I am not sure what exactly you want to do. Is it something you want to create using a MFC application? Typically you will use some application like Windows Media Player to create one, either by capturing or converting some other formats. --- Ajay This utility will convert to several formats: http://www.video-converter.net/ Tom "vashistha singh" <sinva01@ca.com.donotspam> wrote in message news:B0AB5A05-5E03-4206-9936-15670B7E0673@microsoft.com... > Hi can anybody help me to know how ...

use outlook
Hi, I have just installed Microsoft Outlook. I have also imported the email account settings from Microsoft Express. However, I still keep receiving messages on Outlook Express and not on the Outlook. How do I stop Outlook express from receiving my emails and have Outlook receive it. I have also tried to remove the email account from Outlook Express - and then neither Outlook Express or the Outlook were receiving messages. Help!!! BV Set your default email program under Control Panel->Internet = Options->Programs tab. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the g...

??how to?? 10 random records per user in large file
Hello, I am just starting to learn Access and know some basics. I've tried using SELECT TOP * to try to get what I need, but obviously Access is not reading my mind correctly wko I'm working with database tables that have around 200,000 rows of data pertaining to work-units completed by 70 employees in a week (column label = ENTR). The SELECT TOP * brought me back records for only one user...it was the right number of records though - 10 for emp# 45678 ;) I need to randomly select 10 records for *EACH *user-id (unique to the employee) so that I can review productivit...

How to Create a DLL?
Hello EveryOne, Is there any Useful Link About Making and Using a Dll? Please a Simple Example(I am Beginner), USING ONLY A DLL AND NOT ANY OTHER FILES. Best Wishes, Thanks. Milad, First of all u shud be specific abt the problem, in which language u want to create DLL. in VC++ (Example) http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/_core_create_a_resource.2d.only_dll.asp in VB http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/xmmscUsingVBtoCreateSampleDLLandEXEfiles.asp Do u want to create a COM Component.. is it...... ...

Novice: Concurrent access to XML File
Hi, I�ve created an educational software application accessed by students from a central server. On Start-Up the application reads an XML file that stores student progress records. This XML file stores DataSet information, one DataTable and a number of DataRows, one per student. Once finished the student�s DataRow is updated and the DataSet is written to the XML file. My problem is that during the time the student has worked on the application other students will have written to the XML file, updating their progress information. The student�s copy of the DataSet is no longer current. Wri...

Data file did not close properly #2
I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated Jerry There isnt a difinative solution as the problem can be caused by a number of differing things "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive >been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated > > Jerry > "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

error creating company
Hi, Iam getting the following error while creating a company 'The following SQL statement produced an error: create VIEW GTM20001V AS select HDR.aaSubLedgerHdrID, LINE.aaSubLedgerDistID, LINE.aaSubLedgerAssignID, HDR.SERIES, HDR.DOCTYPE, HDR.DOCNUMBR, HDR.Master_ID, LINE.aaTrxDimID, LINE.aaTrxCodeID, LINE.aaTrxDimCode, LINE.INTERID, LINE.ACTINDX, LINE.ACCTTYPE, LINE.DISTTYPE, LINE.DEBITAMT, LINE.CRDTAMNT, LINE.CURNCYID, LINE.SEQNUMBR, LINE.GLPOSTDT, LINE.POSTED, LINE.HISTORY, LINE.DEX_ROW_ID from AAG20000 as HDR inner join( select T1.*, T3.aaTrxDimCod...

Creating A Search Database..Need Help
Hi, i need help creating a search database using excel lookup functions vlookup, match and index. The criteria is below: I have a sheet filled with data. Data Sheet: Title, Season, Air Date, Star Date, Synopsis (Respectively. Data i sorted alphabetically by Title) I have to create another worksheet, in which a user types a Seaso number, and the formula will display the related results. For example: User types in Season 1 Sheet displays: Title Air Date Star Date Synopsis Pilot xxx xxxx yyyyy New aaa bbb zzzz etc..etc.. Thank -- ajaffe --...

Moving Exchange 2K to new server
I am preparing to replace the hardware that my Exchange 2000 server is running on. I've looked at the following KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;297289 It gives a pretty good explanation of what needs to be done to accomplish moving the server. However, I am wondering if anyone has done this before? If so, are there any tips, pointers, "gotchas," etc. I should watch for?? Also more specifically, a couple questions: 1. I've made some changes to the SMTP configuration, recipient polices, etc. How do I make sure those changes are not lo...

Creating a new workbook that has this feature....
Hi all, My boss wants a spread sheet created that will tally all the factors into one area. For example: Accidents Injuries Accidents with injuries Reportable accidents Total damages Just to name a few things. Now what I want to do is have it set up like an Attendance Log sheet we currently use. Problem is I can't find the formula it uses for some parts. Again Example it has on it: Absent Vacation Sick Leave Bereavement Floating Holiday Personal Day What I can't figure out, (with or without Excel help files), is when yo...

Number Format Problem Prevents Proper Sorting #2
I copied the values into a new column and pasted them "special" and it worked. Thanks for your assistance. Vic -- 65Stang ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 65Stang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15008 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275679 Thanks for the feedback. Glad to help. Mike "65Stang" wrote: > > I copied the values into a new column and pasted them "special" and it > worked. > > Thanks for your assistance. &g...

Keep custom format in new worksheet
Hi all, I created a new custom format in "Format Cells", after using this custom format I save the file and quit, when I open the old file the custom format still in this file, but when I try to create a new file the custom format is lost. Is it possible to keep the custom format forever in the Excel so that I don't need to create it again when open new workbook? Many Thanks. Buddy See Ron's reply in .misc -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Buddy" <tcheung27@sinaman.com> wrote in message news:uAWhxPHKFHA.3348@TK2MSF...