How to print in "date received" order

Hi, I'm using Outlook 2003 and I need to print 1000's of emails in
"date received" order.

I can order them fine using the sort arrow, but when I go to print them
they all print out in alphabetical order (I think by "sender").

This is having a huge impact on my job and my helpdesk claim that the
facility to print in date received order is not in Outlook 2003 -
something I find impossible to believe!

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thank you,
Simon

"simonsmith" <simon.smith@culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm using Outlook 2003 and I need to print 1000's of emails in
> "date received" order.

Sorry I don't have an answer - I am just intrigued as to WHY you need to
print "1000's of emails "?

0
gordon7598 (483)
8/22/2005 8:42:37 AM
I work in the filing department for a large law firm and we often print
out and file 1,000's of emails at once... Trust me, getting an answer
to this problem will make a lot of people very happy!

> I work in the filing department for a large law firm and we often
> print out and file 1,000's of emails at once... Trust me, getting an
> answer to this problem will make a lot of people very happy!

Sorry - I have to add this - why do you not store them electronically and
just print them out when they are needed as hard copy? Electronic storage is
YEARS ahead of paper filing in terms of searching and indexing.

Just a thought?

0
gordon7598 (483)
8/22/2005 9:03:16 AM
Of course you're absolutely right. Unfortunately the legal profession
requires hard-copies to be kept of every matter...

as do many other professions.

> Of course you're absolutely right. Unfortunately the legal profession
> requires hard-copies to be kept of every matter...

0
BillR9171 (440)
8/22/2005 9:53:38 AM
Of course you're absolutely right. Unfortunately the legal profession
requires hard-copies to be kept of every matter...

You might find a print tool add-in that will help. There are certainly tools
to print on receipt of an email which might help you.
try:
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Auto-Print.asp
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/print_tools/
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm

http://www.ozgrid.com/outlook-email/outlook-print-tools.htm
"Printing selected items (or specified ranges) in two mouse clicks"
The Print Range setting might be what you are looking for. I haven't used it
so can't comment on the order it prints in.

It *might* also be possible to code Outlook via VBA to do what you need to.
Try an Outlook programming group.

--
Bill Rodgers MVP
"simonsmith" <simon.smith@culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm using Outlook 2003 and I need to print 1000's of emails in
> "date received" order.
>
> I can order them fine using the sort arrow, but when I go to print them
> they all print out in alphabetical order (I think by "sender").
>
> This is having a huge impact on my job and my helpdesk claim that the
> facility to print in date received order is not in Outlook 2003 -
> something I find impossible to believe!
>
> Any help would be very gratefully received.
>
> Thank you,
> Simon

0
BillR9171 (440)
8/22/2005 10:03:28 AM
"BillR [MVP]" <BillR@removethisbitMVPS.org> wrote in message
> as do many other professions.
>
> "simonsmith" <simon.smith@culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote in message
>> Of course you're absolutely right. Unfortunately the legal profession
>> requires hard-copies to be kept of every matter...

But my point is you don't NEED (and it doesn't matter what profession you
are - and I am actually an Accountant and have to deal with statutory
reporting to Government) to print anything out at all untill you NEED that
particular hard copy. Even Law firms don't NEED to print out anything untill
they NEED to, (for use in court for example.....)

0
gordon7598 (483)
8/22/2005 10:07:55 AM
I completely take your point; if it were up to me I would change the
working practises of the firm and move us over to 100% electronic
filing.

> I completely take your point; if it were up to me I would change the
> working practises of the firm and move us over to 100% electronic
> filing.

I find it very odd that any firm that uses email and electronic documents in
the first place, doesn't go the whole way! The benefits are so much,
including easy copying of storage files for backup - how do you "backup" a
filing cabinet?
One day..........<sigh>

0
gordon7598 (483)
8/22/2005 11:12:13 AM
I'm intrigued,
your header shows DCMS but you say you're a 'law firm'

I would say that the 'person' decreeing the creation of hard copies doesnt
understand the concept/usage of a computer and its file storage options. I
would guess also that they dont use a PC

> Of course you're absolutely right. Unfortunately the legal profession
> requires hard-copies to be kept of every matter...

0
DL
8/22/2005 12:10:05 PM
I used to work at DCMS and hence my google groups account has my old
email address.

I can rest assured then that, the dept. is then in good hands
 :)

> I used to work at DCMS and hence my google groups account has my old
> email address.

0
DL
8/22/2005 3:31:32 PM
DL wrote:
> I can rest assured then that, the dept. is then in good hands
>  :)
>
> "simonsmith" <simon.smith@culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > I used to work at DCMS and hence my google groups account has my old
> > email address.

That was an intriguing series of comments from everyone but I don't
think anyone apart form one person offered any help. The point was that
he *needed* to print e-mails in date order, and funnily enouh so do I
and so would like to see if there is a solution. It was admitted that
e-mails or documents may need to be printed in date order for court and
so since this might need to be done for the original person who asked
the question as well as for me, can everyone get over the fact that we
need to print them in date order and help with a solution? You can
comment all you want about electronic filing etc and people not
understanding the point of a PC but the fact is there may be situations
where bulk printing of e-mails needs to happen (even though they are
stored electronically) not only for legal situations but for other
professions as well.  So, does anyone else have any ideas about this
problem? I have tried all the links available for patches for Outlook
that were provided and none seem to do what is needed.

Thanks

0
ghramm (1)
8/24/2005 10:08:00 AM
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/print_tools/screenshots.html
may be worth a look, a trial version is available

<ghramm@gmail.com> wrote in message

> DL wrote:
> > I can rest assured then that, the dept. is then in good hands
> >  :)
> >
> > "simonsmith" <simon.smith@culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > > I used to work at DCMS and hence my google groups account has my old
> > > email address.
> > >

> That was an intriguing series of comments from everyone but I don't
> think anyone apart form one person offered any help. The point was that
> he *needed* to print e-mails in date order, and funnily enouh so do I
> and so would like to see if there is a solution. It was admitted that
> e-mails or documents may need to be printed in date order for court and
> so since this might need to be done for the original person who asked
> the question as well as for me, can everyone get over the fact that we
> need to print them in date order and help with a solution? You can
> comment all you want about electronic filing etc and people not
> understanding the point of a PC but the fact is there may be situations
> where bulk printing of e-mails needs to happen (even though they are
> stored electronically) not only for legal situations but for other
> professions as well.  So, does anyone else have any ideas about this
> problem? I have tried all the links available for patches for Outlook
> that were provided and none seem to do what is needed.
>
> Thanks

0
DL
8/24/2005 3:30:11 PM
I don't think you can speak of the needs or requirements of others. I
certainly know of many professions who *require* Hard Copies for filing
purposes long before they might actually use them. Try to tell them
otherwise and all it does is fall on deaf ears.

--
Bill Rodgers MVP
"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "BillR [MVP]" <BillR@removethisbitMVPS.org> wrote in message
>> as do many other professions.
>>
>> "simonsmith" <simon.smith@culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote in message
>>> Of course you're absolutely right. Unfortunately the legal profession
>>> requires hard-copies to be kept of every matter...
>
> But my point is you don't NEED (and it doesn't matter what profession you
> are - and I am actually an Accountant and have to deal with statutory
> reporting to Government) to print anything out at all untill you NEED that
> particular hard copy. Even Law firms don't NEED to print out anything
> untill
> they NEED to, (for use in court for example.....)

0
BillR9171 (440)
8/25/2005 12:30:11 AM
BillR [MVP] wrote:
> I don't think you can speak of the needs or requirements of others. I
> certainly know of many professions who *require* Hard Copies for
> filing purposes long before they might actually use them. Try to tell
> them otherwise and all it does is fall on deaf ears.

Yes... sad, isn't it?

0
gordon7598 (483)

Sort inbound messages by date received
Office 2007 Professional all updates My inbox is sorted by received from. How do I sort them by received date? Thanks -- HP a6524p Intel Pentium dual core CPU speed 2.2 G Ram 4096 MB Microsoft Vista Premium 64 bit Latest SP IE 7 Office 2003 Corp. All Microsoft updates. Hi TGMcCallie, In your email program, click on the 'Received' column header. Clicking on the 'Received' column header more than once toggles the receipt order. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "TGMcCallie" <TGMcCallie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

how do I keep the date received in outlook?
I need to have the date when I received the e-mail. Outlook shows the date received for yesterday and I assume it will for today, but on messages received prior to that--subsequent days it shows, "None." How do I keep the date received displayed to show when I received it? It isn't in the message. Where are these messages coming from? I haven't seen that issue in Outlook before since all my messages keep their received date "tech nana" <tech nana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:244C421E-C737-4CC3-8711-04B064A8847B@microsoft.com... &g...

How to print in "date received" order
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2003 and I need to print 1000's of emails in "date received" order. I can order them fine using the sort arrow, but when I go to print them they all print out in alphabetical order (I think by "sender"). This is having a huge impact on my job and my helpdesk claim that the facility to print in date received order is not in Outlook 2003 - something I find impossible to believe! Any help would be very gratefully received. Thank you, Simon "simonsmith" <simon.smith@culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote in message news:1124698993.462014.2...

The purchase order print out should show 'date received'
When generating and then receiving a purchase order, when you click 'Print', we would like to see the 'date received' or 'last updated' date on the purchase order print out. Currently on the print out there is no easy way to see what date the product came in on. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based N...

Grouping mails by their date received
Hi there, I would like to group my mails on "Received" date so as to figure out my activities on a particular date. Microsoft Outlook 2K SR1 allows its users to format the columns the way they want and group mails by those columns (except columns with formula) When I customize the "Received" column with "mm/dd/yy" format and group by it, Outlook falls back to the original format ignoring my customization. This results in a useless view in which Outlook groups the mails upto minutes accuracy and ends up puting one mail on each group and creating as many groups ...

Exporting Date received and Date Sent to Access
How can export both 'date received' and 'date sent' fields to another program such as Access or Excel? However, if you use Access to set up a linked table connected to your = mail folder, you will see the Received date among the available = properties. (I don't remember whether Sent is also shown.) Third-party = export tools are also available; see = http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm#tools --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jump...

Emails by date received / sent
Help, as a hardened OE user, but now having to use Windows Mail as I understand there is a Vista / Orange/ OE issue!? How do I on Windows mail: sort emails by today, yesterday, last week etc and edit subject headings.. Any advice gratefully received! ...

Outlook 2003
If an e-mail with attached e-mails (.msg) is received and an attached e-mail is drag&dropped into an Outlook e-mail folder, then this e-mail gets no received date. That's correct in a sense since I haven't received this e-mail directly. Still, what I would want to achieve is that the "unpacked" e-mail gets the same received date assigned as the e-mail that incuded it as an attachement. Does anybody know a trick to get this done? Heinz Wehner (Karlsruhe, Germany) ...

Lost "date received" in inbox
Somehow I lost the date column on my inbox which is how I sort all emails. How can I reconfigure the inbox on Outlook 2003? Craig Right-click any of the remaining column titles and click "Field Chooser." Drag "Received" to the place in that row where you want it and drop it there. "Craig" wrote: > Somehow I lost the date column on my inbox which is how I sort all emails. > How can I reconfigure the inbox on Outlook 2003? > > Craig > > > ...

Re: Exporting "Date Received" field
In trying to export Outlook 2003 email messages to an Access database for long term archival, I find it impossible to include the date the email message was received. As this is a rather important piece of information I would like to preserve, it is diificult to understand why Microsoft would exclude this field from any exporting utility. Does anyone know a workaround for this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. George ...

How can I export emails and retain the date received information
I've purchased a new computer and I a am going to export all of emails to a file for importing to outlook on my new computer. This is a snap except that I loosed the date received information. How can I retain the date received for sorting emails? You can't. That's one of many reasons why no one would use export for this. Just open your Outlook data file in the new installation and copy what you want from it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Johnny Ringo" <Johnny Ringo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA7A3635-EFA6-4E0B-A80E-B83F8E519EDD@mi...