How to hide the "Properties" of an email address

I often receive email where I am one of several recepients.  Usually, if you
right-click on the name of someone in the TO list, you can choose Properties,
and determine that person's email address.  That can be a problem for that
person, if he/she wants to keep his/her email address private.

I recently received an email, but when I right-clicked on the names in the
TO list, I could not get the Properties information.  It appears that the
sender knows how to list the person's name in the TO list, but prevent
his/her email address from being determined.  I would like to know how to do
this, so I can protect the privacy of the email addresses of people when I
send an email to multiple recepients.  I will appreciate learning how to do
this.

The only way to hide the email address is to put it in the BCC field.
The email address you think is hidden isn't. It is readily visible in the
email header.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I often receive email where I am one of several recepients.  Usually, if
>you
> right-click on the name of someone in the TO list, you can choose
> Properties,
> and determine that person's email address.  That can be a problem for that
> person, if he/she wants to keep his/her email address private.
>
> I recently received an email, but when I right-clicked on the names in the
> TO list, I could not get the Properties information.  It appears that the
> sender knows how to list the person's name in the TO list, but prevent
> his/her email address from being determined.  I would like to know how to
> do
> this, so I can protect the privacy of the email addresses of people when I
> send an email to multiple recepients.  I will appreciate learning how to
> do
> this.

0
russval1 (2100)
3/26/2005 2:10:08 PM
The way this is usually done, to send an e-mail to a list of people, without
having their e-mail addresses all visible for all to see, is just to list
one recipient under To: -----Yourself!

Then you put all the actual recipients addresses under BCC, and they will
receive it, without seeing each others addresses.

"Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I often receive email where I am one of several recepients.  Usually, if
you
> right-click on the name of someone in the TO list, you can choose
Properties,
> and determine that person's email address.  That can be a problem for that
> person, if he/she wants to keep his/her email address private.
>
> I recently received an email, but when I right-clicked on the names in the
> TO list, I could not get the Properties information.  It appears that the
> sender knows how to list the person's name in the TO list, but prevent
> his/her email address from being determined.  I would like to know how to
do
> this, so I can protect the privacy of the email addresses of people when I
> send an email to multiple recepients.  I will appreciate learning how to
do
> this.

0
ms7108 (109)
3/27/2005 3:53:32 AM
" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The way this is usually done, to send an e-mail to a list of people,
without
> having their e-mail addresses all visible for all to see, is just to list
> one recipient under To: -----Yourself!

You don't actually have to include yourself in the "To" field. Mail will
still be sent as long as there is at least one address in the other fields.

0
Peter
3/27/2005 12:11:56 PM
Russ:
OK, thanks.  I would like to create a distribution list of people I will put
into the BCC field.  In Outlook 2002, however, it seems that I can only
create a distribution list of people in the TO field.  I'd rather not have to
type all 40 names into the BCC field every time I want to send them an email.

How can I create a distribution list of people using the BCC field, rather
than the TO, a list that I can save and use over and over again?  I will
appreciate advice.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> The only way to hide the email address is to put it in the BCC field.
> The email address you think is hidden isn't. It is readily visible in the
> email header.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I often receive email where I am one of several recepients.  Usually, if
> >you
> > right-click on the name of someone in the TO list, you can choose
> > Properties,
> > and determine that person's email address.  That can be a problem for that
> > person, if he/she wants to keep his/her email address private.
> >
> > I recently received an email, but when I right-clicked on the names in the
> > TO list, I could not get the Properties information.  It appears that the
> > sender knows how to list the person's name in the TO list, but prevent
> > his/her email address from being determined.  I would like to know how to
> > do
> > this, so I can protect the privacy of the email addresses of people when I
> > send an email to multiple recepients.  I will appreciate learning how to
> > do
> > this.

I don't understand why you would think that. You can put a DL in any field
you want.
--
> Russ:
> OK, thanks.  I would like to create a distribution list of people I will
> put
> into the BCC field.  In Outlook 2002, however, it seems that I can only
> create a distribution list of people in the TO field.  I'd rather not have
> type all 40 names into the BCC field every time I want to send them an
> email.
>
> How can I create a distribution list of people using the BCC field, rather
> than the TO, a list that I can save and use over and over again?  I will
> appreciate advice.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> The only way to hide the email address is to put it in the BCC field.
>> The email address you think is hidden isn't. It is readily visible in the
>> email header.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I often receive email where I am one of several recepients.  Usually, if
>> >you
>> > right-click on the name of someone in the TO list, you can choose
>> > Properties,
>> > and determine that person's email address.  That can be a problem for
>> > that
>> > person, if he/she wants to keep his/her email address private.
>> >
>> > I recently received an email, but when I right-clicked on the names in
>> > the
>> > TO list, I could not get the Properties information.  It appears that
>> > the
>> > sender knows how to list the person's name in the TO list, but prevent
>> > his/her email address from being determined.  I would like to know how
>> > do
>> > this, so I can protect the privacy of the email addresses of people
>> > when I
>> > send an email to multiple recepients.  I will appreciate learning how
>> > do
>> > this.

0
russval1 (2100)
3/27/2005 1:10:15 PM
"Peter D" <please@.sk> wrote in message

> You don't actually have to include yourself in the "To" field. Mail will
> still be sent as long as there is at least one address in the other
fields.

True, it doesn't have to be yourself, of course. But I thought there has to
be some e-mail address in the To: field. Not true?  Many people do put their
own address there. Or there can be a name for the recipient (in To field)
such as "My Friends", or whatever the group is, and assign a fake e-mail
address (but that would get you bounce messages when sent) or your own
e-mail address to that.

0
ms7108 (109)
3/27/2005 3:30:37 PM
It depends on the mail server as to whether the To: field must be populated.
Users who want the name of the group to appear usually use a method like
this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q266339

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

> "Peter D" <please@.sk> wrote in message
>
>> You don't actually have to include yourself in the "To" field. Mail will
>> still be sent as long as there is at least one address in the other
> fields.
>
> True, it doesn't have to be yourself, of course. But I thought there has
> be some e-mail address in the To: field. Not true?  Many people do put
> their
> own address there. Or there can be a name for the recipient (in To field)
> such as "My Friends", or whatever the group is, and assign a fake e-mail
> address (but that would get you bounce messages when sent) or your own
> e-mail address to that.

0
russval1 (2100)
3/27/2005 5:53:37 PM
Many ISPs now require a valid address in the TO: or CC: field before
accepting mail for transport.  One way to get around this is to create a
contact with the display name of Undisclosed Recipients and give it your
email address.  Put this in the TO; fiels for all to see.

To the OP, to create a reusable distribution list, use
File->New->Distribution list.  Populate it as you wish and give it a
distinct name.  When you need to send to the list, just type the DL name in
the BCC field.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Peter D asked:

| " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
|| The way this is usually done, to send an e-mail to a list of people,
|| without having their e-mail addresses all visible for all to see, is
|| just to list one recipient under To: -----Yourself!
|
| You don't actually have to include yourself in the "To" field. Mail
| will still be sent as long as there is at least one address in the
| other fields.

0
MillyS (3228)
3/27/2005 5:59:07 PM
Russ:
Maybe I'm not using the right process to create the list.  Let me tell you
what I'm doing, and perhaps you can correct me.

In Outlook 2002, I click File/New/Distribution List.  That gives me a box
with the cursor pointing to Name.  Below that, I see "Select Members" and
"Add New."  When I click "Select Members", my address book opens.  However,
the box is not the same as the same as the box I get when I am composing an
email message.  In this case, on the right, I see "Add" and "Add to
distribution list."  There is no choice available to add the person to the
BCC field (like there is with an email message), only to the "distribution
list".  That list automatically puts the people into the TO field.

Is there another way to create a distribution list that will allow me to put
people into the BCC field?  I will appreciate advice or instructions.  Thanks.
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I don't understand why you would think that. You can put a DL in any field
> you want.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Russ:
> > OK, thanks.  I would like to create a distribution list of people I will
> > put
> > into the BCC field.  In Outlook 2002, however, it seems that I can only
> > create a distribution list of people in the TO field.  I'd rather not have
> > type all 40 names into the BCC field every time I want to send them an
> > email.
> >
> > How can I create a distribution list of people using the BCC field, rather
> > than the TO, a list that I can save and use over and over again?  I will
> > appreciate advice.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> The only way to hide the email address is to put it in the BCC field.
> >> The email address you think is hidden isn't. It is readily visible in the
> >> email header.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

That dialog simply creates the DL. It doesn't "place it" anywhere but in
your Contacts Folder.
You don't place the DL in the To:, CC:, or BCC: fields until you actually
compose the message you are going to send. And you can chose any of those
fields at that time.
--
> Russ:
> Maybe I'm not using the right process to create the list.  Let me tell you
> what I'm doing, and perhaps you can correct me.
>
> In Outlook 2002, I click File/New/Distribution List.  That gives me a box
> with the cursor pointing to Name.  Below that, I see "Select Members" and
> "Add New."  When I click "Select Members", my address book opens.
> However,
> the box is not the same as the same as the box I get when I am composing
> an
> email message.  In this case, on the right, I see "Add" and "Add to
> distribution list."  There is no choice available to add the person to the
> BCC field (like there is with an email message), only to the "distribution
> list".  That list automatically puts the people into the TO field.
>
> Is there another way to create a distribution list that will allow me to
> put
> people into the BCC field?  I will appreciate advice or instructions.
> Thanks.
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why you would think that. You can put a DL in any
>> field
>> you want.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Russ:
>> > OK, thanks.  I would like to create a distribution list of people I
>> > will
>> > put
>> > into the BCC field.  In Outlook 2002, however, it seems that I can only
>> > create a distribution list of people in the TO field.  I'd rather not
>> > have
>> > type all 40 names into the BCC field every time I want to send them an
>> > email.
>> >
>> > How can I create a distribution list of people using the BCC field,
>> > rather
>> > than the TO, a list that I can save and use over and over again?  I
>> > will
>> > appreciate advice.

0
russval1 (2100)
3/27/2005 9:11:58 PM
" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Peter D" <please@.sk> wrote in message
>
> > You don't actually have to include yourself in the "To" field. Mail will
> > still be sent as long as there is at least one address in the other
> fields.
>
> True, it doesn't have to be yourself, of course.

Let me update that statement... You don't have to actually include _any_
address in the "To" field. Mail will still be sent as long as there is at
least one address in the other fields (CC or BCC)

> But I thought there has to
> be some e-mail address in the To: field. Not true?  Many people do put
their
> own address there. Or there can be a name for the recipient (in To field)
> such as "My Friends", or whatever the group is, and assign a fake e-mail
> address (but that would get you bounce messages when sent) or your own
> e-mail address to that.

0
Peter

Setting font properties using function
I want to be able to set the properties of a cell font using a function. I have tried the below but it errors in the function with Error Number: 91 Error Description: Object variable or With block variable not set Anyone not on holiday out there who can help me please! happy new year Rod ------------------------ 'Calling code xlSht.Cells(1, 1).Font = NameFormatType1(255) Private Function NameFormatType1(NmCol As Long) As Excel.Font NameFormatType1.Color = RGB(NmCol, 0, 0) NameFormatType1.Bold = True End Function Try these changes Sub...

can't select field in view to move or set properties
Ever had this problem? Got to be the strangest thing. Well, I found the answer and have to give credit to Mitch Milan's blog and apparaently Nithya Balasubramanian for finding the problem. The problem is when customizing a view you can't select a field to move it to the right or left or edit the width. Here is the answer: http://blogs.infinite-x.net/2007/11/10/solution-to-unable-to-edit-view-columns/ In case this link doesn't work the answer is simply and quite strangely adding about:blank to your trusted sites or to the local intranet site depending on what zone your crm ...

Booked locked for editing properties
How do you set the properties so that whoever is in a workbook and you get the message "...locked for edtiting" Isn't there a way that each person from their computer can put there name or identifier in? Normally setup during intial run of XL. To change it: Tools - Options, User Name -- Best Regards, Luke M "RFW" <RFW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CDAB98-34FE-413B-8F3D-32849A6FA757@microsoft.com... > How do you set the properties so that whoever is in a workbook and you get > the message "...locked for edtiting&q...

Open ports for IMS-properties
At a customer of ours a NT4-server (SP6a) is hosting Exchange 5.5 (SP4). After enabling the security in de Network-properties we have troubles opening the IMS-properties in the Exchange Administrator. The ports i have opened are 443, 80, 8080, 21, 110 and 25. Can anyone tell me which port to open to resolve this problem and leaving security on on the NIC? Kind regards, Michel Schuurman Hi there Michel, This site http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=149 contains a list of ports and the services behind them. Hoop dat je zo geholpen bent ;) Groeten, Jeroen van Reenen &...

Exchange DoS vulnerability due to possible named properties overflow
Hello All, Here's a problem. Exchange Server 2003 has a hard quota limit for the named properties of the messages stored in Exchange Information store, as described in a KB article 820379. After the quota has been reached, numerous error messages with Event ID 9667 and 12800 from MSExchangeIS are generated in Exchange server's Application Log. This creates DoS conditions for the affected Information store. If the quota is increased up to the capacity limit of the named properties table (32,000), server can become unresponsive to client requests. Named properties quota overflow can be...

Shape properties
I have created a drawing of our server racks. I have also gone into the custom properties of the shapes as they are laid out in the racks and I have entered the server names, serial numbers, BIOS versions, etc. of each shape and I want to display it in a table on a master list sheet. How do I do this? I know the data is usable, I just don't know how to effectively display it. Thanks Have you considered starting with Tools => Reports => New??? Al "Mark Hauschild" <mark.hauschild@remove.acc.af.mil> wrote in message news:O40OwRkfEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... &...

Implementing a window like .NET Studio's "Properties"?
Hi there, Does anyone know if there's a class available to make a Properties-type dialog with .NET studio in C++? I'm looking for what pretty much amounts to a 2 column grid, with the ability to put edit boxes, combo boxes, etc. into the right hand column. Thanks for any tips. Chris you can use the propertygrid control. see http://blog.joycode.com/jiangsheng/archive/2005/03/19/46065.aspx "cada0310" <cada0310@discussions.microsoft.com> д����Ϣ����:79284EE3-B397-4098-B168-B4D7A69D6776@microsoft.com... > Hi there, > > Does anyone know if there's a clas...

Reading properties from closed book
I am trying to read the last date saved from closed workbooks. I downloaded the ReadPropertyFromClosedFile from Chip Pearson's site and selected the DSO OLE Document Properties Reader 2.1 reference. I do not understand the formula syntax. I thought it should be: =ReadPropertyFromClosedFile(Path \Workbookname,BuiltinDocumentProperties(number),Builtin) but it always returns #NAME? Windows 2000 & Excel 2003 ...

Ability To Change Entity Properties After Creation
If you create a custom entity without allowing activities to be related and later decide that you need activities, you have to recreate the entity and loose all your data. We need to have the ability to after creation, change that property. Once turned on, you would not be able to turn it off, but you should be able to turn it on after creation. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follo...

Updating custom properties on multiple shaoes
Hi, Is there any way to change the custom properties (not the data values, but the "custom properties properties") on all instances of a certain shape in a Visio file? I know I can select all instances of the shape on any given page and change the properties, but I have hundreds of instances of a certain shape spread across maybe fifty pages, so whenever I find out there's a property missing its a gargantuan task just going through all the pages manually. Jorn look at updating the master. view - drawing explorer window Masters Select your master and edit. All this cou...

Reg hiding such parameters in the properties of the mail #2
hi , I am using the outlook 2003 client for sending the email. when it reaches the destination end, the destined user is easily identifying the parameters like, from where the mail is coming like, public ip, machine name, and local ip address of the system which the mail is originated.. so i do not want to publisize such parameters to the outside world.. so how would i adjust the oulook such a way it should not take such parameters while sending the emails. i shal be thankfull if u help me on this! thanks in advance rizwan <rizwan_mk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#8ikqBqv...

personalize OrgChart template, stencil and master properties
Hello, I need to adapt the OrgChart Template to get the following features: 1. need to make custom properties to master shapes (so that they are availables each time i drag and drop a master from the stancil to the drawing). This means two things: first remove the default built-in properties (name, title, email, etc), and second add my own properties. I want ONLY my own properties on masters!! 2. need a custom stencil (based on the OrgChart stencil) with master with my custom properties defined at point 1. 3. On the masters' istances on the drowaing I want to display my own custom ...

Excel Properties
When using the File menu pull down screen I dont see the Properties options which I need in order to get to the properties dialog box. Have you exposed all of the menu options by clicking on the circle with the double-v's at the bottom of the menu? "Harley" wrote: > When using the File menu pull down screen I dont see the Properties options > which I need in order to get to the properties dialog box. Or better still, get rid of that 'facility' by going to Tools>Customize>Optiosn and uncheck the Menus show recently used commandbars first. -- HTH RP &...

Exchange 2003: modify contacts properties
Hello to all: I�m a University student who is doing a project where I�m administrating a Exchange 2003 Server. I would like know if I could add new properties to the contacts estored on the server. Thank you very much, Gorka Rodr�guez ...

Shortcut Properties dialog
Hi all, A simple request, but one for which I can find no specific answers. How does one call up the Shortcut Properties dialog for a given link file? That is, the dialog that appears when you right-click a shortcut and select Properties. Thanks in advance, Brian Take a look at the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=179377 How To Invoke the Shell's File Properties Dialog Box -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Brian Banks" <lost@sea.com> wrote in message news:%23hcpkPkzEHA.3708@TK2MSFTN...

Dialog Editor shows blank properties window
Hi I have a dialog based application in which I have a few buttons and Edit Controls. Everything was ok and now all of a sudden when I click on the Button and check the Properties the properties shows up as empty. I am using Visual Studio .Net. It happened to me before, and I reinstalled the Visual Studio .Net and it seems to have worked fine. But I am hoping I dont have to reinstall it again. Any suggestions as to what can be done in this case. Thanks Gouri ...

change link properties in a cell
Hello, Our accounting software creates an excel report that contains a link to an image. (file://H:\xxxxx\xxxx\xxxxx.tif) for example. The problem is we want to replace the path to the image with something that will point to a folder on a dvd for example. We will not be able to control which drive letter the end user will use. My questions then; Is there a way to change the path in the link without interacting with each one? There are well over 1000 links in each spreadsheet. Is there a way to make the new path relative to the location of the spreadsheet file? Thanks so much, k Perha...

XmlSerializer would not serialize properties in the class derived from List<T>
I have following 3 classes public class MyMainClass { MyCollection<MyObject> m_oMyObjectCollection = null; private string m_sID = string.Empty; public MyCollection<MyObject> Collection { get { return this.m_oMyObjectCollection; } set { this.m_oMyObjectCollection = value; } } [XmlAttribute] public string ID { get { return this.m_sID; } set ...

Show file properties when opening a workbook
Looking for a way to display a message box that displays file properties (date created, modified, last accessed etc.) when opened. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Harry. Harry, Put this code in the ThisWorkbook code module. There is no last access propertyt to show I am afraid. Private Sub Workbook_Open() With ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties MsgBox "Author: " & .Item("Author") & vbCrLf & _ "Date created: " & .Item("Creation Date") & vbCrLf & _ "D...

Shape Data versus Properties?
Is there a difference between Shape Data (found by right-clicking a shape, highlighting "Data" and then clicking "Shape Data") and Properties (found by right-clicking a shape and then clicking "Properties")? Thanks. Jason Hello Jason, No, it's just a different way to access the same data. Best regards John John Goldsmith www.visualSignals.co.uk "Jason Freeman" <loosus@coastalnet.com> wrote in message news:uKvOLNowHHA.840@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there a difference between Shape Data (found by right-clicking a shape, > hi...

Access 2007 form properties
We just upgraded(?) to Access 2007 and the first thing I have come across is this: I have a simple continuous form where the query is based on the value in the control 'box_district'. 'box_district' is in the form header. I have the detail of the form hidden until 'box_district' gets updated. This code bombs at the asterisked line but it is because the detail does not become visible as it should based on the third line. Was something changed that would prevent 'me.detail.visible = true' from working? Private Sub box_district_AfterUpdate() Me.Requery ...

Modify Edd/Add Record/Deletion Properties of Form and Child Subfor
Hi, I have a form and a correlated sub-form. I want to prevent the data enterer from modifying the form unintentionally when he clicks a check box "Completed". I tried some simple VBA in the "Completed" control's "On Click" property but it had the effect of also freezing the user out of un-checking the same control if the need were to arise later on. What's the right way to approach that? Anyone? TIA. If it's a thing of being able to uncheck the box when needed, you can place a button on the form to have it unfreeze the checkbox when clicked. ...

TextColumn Properties of ComboBox
When I scroll through the contents of the combo box (ListFillRange set for two columns) I see the information from both columns. But, when I select the row I want only one column of information is shown. I've played around with the Bound Column and TextColumn, but that is only allows me to switch which column of the two is shown. Is it possible to have the whole row show in the box after it's clicked? ...

Changing a forms properties under program control
I have a form caled "frm _Main" and that form has a Sub Form called "frm_Sub_Address" embeded in it. I am wanting to make the "frm_Sub_Address" get its information from two different Tables depending on what info the user wants. The two Tables are called "tbl_Stores" and "tbl_Suppliers". I know that you will raise the question, why do I have 2 tables containing Adddress info but putting that pointy to one side for the moment, my code is as follows, depending on what info the user wants :- iF user wants this info For...

List Properties of WLM Contacts
My current list of WLM contacts (when clicking on `contacts' in the pane) is shown as Last Name first, then First name, then E-mail address, reading the columns from left to right. And I can change those around or go from A-Z to Z-A. However, when I create a new e-mail and click on `To', the contacts listing comes up with `First name, followed by last name (in one column) then E-mail address in the column to the right. Inside a new e-mail I'd like to have my contacts come up (after selecting `To') to be Last name, first name, then e-mail address. Is there anywa...