How to get rid of "where is Outlook Mail.pst"?

I've just recently bought a new laptop which came with Vista installed so
I've decided to give it a go and make up my own mind about it.

However, new machine, old problem of transferring files. Using a cross-over
cable I've managed to transfer most of my files across and when it came to
transferring my mail (I use MS Outlook 2003 from Office 2003 Pro) I decided
to use the export command on my old computer to create a PST file which I
called "Outlook Mail.pst". I then I transferred it to the desktop folder on
the new computer and launched Outlook and told it to import the personal
folder from "Outlook Mail.pst".

The import seems to have worked and all of my mail, contacts, and calendar
items are present; so I decided to delete the now 'old' and defunct file.
Now Outlook seems to be mostly working okay except that when I start the
program up it asks where the file "Outlook Mail.pst" is located. Since I
only imported the items from this file and the information I imported is
still present after deleting the import file why is it still asking for it;
and more importantly, how do I stop Outlook asking for this file?

Cheers to all who can help.
spear

did you remove it from the profile? see file, data file management.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Gary Clarke" <gary.clarke21nospam@talktalk.net> wrote in message
> I've just recently bought a new laptop which came with Vista installed so
> I've decided to give it a go and make up my own mind about it.
>
> However, new machine, old problem of transferring files. Using a
> cross-over cable I've managed to transfer most of my files across and when
> it came to transferring my mail (I use MS Outlook 2003 from Office 2003
> Pro) I decided to use the export command on my old computer to create a
> PST file which I called "Outlook Mail.pst". I then I transferred it to the
> desktop folder on the new computer and launched Outlook and told it to
> import the personal folder from "Outlook Mail.pst".
>
> The import seems to have worked and all of my mail, contacts, and calendar
> items are present; so I decided to delete the now 'old' and defunct file.
> Now Outlook seems to be mostly working okay except that when I start the
> program up it asks where the file "Outlook Mail.pst" is located. Since I
> only imported the items from this file and the information I imported is
> still present after deleting the import file why is it still asking for
> it; and more importantly, how do I stop Outlook asking for this file?
>
> Cheers to all who can help.
> spear

0
outlookmvp (5838)
8/16/2007 3:18:42 AM
Gary Clarke <gary.clarke21nospam@talktalk.net> wrote:

> when it came to transferring my mail (I use MS Outlook 2003 from
> Office 2003 Pro) I decided to use the export command on my old
> computer to create a PST file which I called "Outlook Mail.pst". I
> then I transferred it to the desktop folder on the new computer and
> launched Outlook and told it to import the personal folder from
> "Outlook Mail.pst".

Since Diane didn't mention it, I will: never export to and import from a PST
to transfer data between Outlook instances.  SImply use the original PST.
Exporting and importing lose data and importing, if not done with care, will
corrupt the mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
8/16/2007 12:31:50 PM
That's great and it worked a treat. Thank you so much for what to you must
seem like a minor problem. Again, thank you.

spear

"Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
> did you remove it from the profile? see file, data file management.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Gary Clarke" <gary.clarke21nospam@talktalk.net> wrote in message
>> I've just recently bought a new laptop which came with Vista installed so
>> I've decided to give it a go and make up my own mind about it.
>>
>> However, new machine, old problem of transferring files. Using a
>> cross-over cable I've managed to transfer most of my files across and
>> when it came to transferring my mail (I use MS Outlook 2003 from Office
>> 2003 Pro) I decided to use the export command on my old computer to
>> create a PST file which I called "Outlook Mail.pst". I then I transferred
>> it to the desktop folder on the new computer and launched Outlook and
>> told it to import the personal folder from "Outlook Mail.pst".
>>
>> The import seems to have worked and all of my mail, contacts, and
>> calendar items are present; so I decided to delete the now 'old' and
>> defunct file. Now Outlook seems to be mostly working okay except that
>> when I start the program up it asks where the file "Outlook Mail.pst" is
>> located. Since I only imported the items from this file and the
>> information I imported is still present after deleting the import file
>> why is it still asking for it; and more importantly, how do I stop
>> Outlook asking for this file?
>>
>> Cheers to all who can help.
>> spear

Click File | Data File Management.  What do you see listed?  If Outlook
Mail.pst isn't listed there, you may have to create a new mail profile so it
only points to the .PST file you want to use.  Instructions are at
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm.

For future reference:  It is never necessary, and often problematic, to
import from a .PST file into Outlook.  .PST is Outlook's default file format,
so it's kind of like importing a .DOC file into Word.  All you have to do is
click File | Open | Outlook Data File and then browse to your .PST file.  If
you can't find it, make sure you are searching within hidden folders in
Windows.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook