How to create a hidden message in a folder

Hi there,

the application that I am working with requires a hidden message (of
any class) to be inside a folder (corporate archive) on the root of the
mailbox so that it can identify the specific folder and then archive
its contents.

I understand that I need to create this hidden message in the
Associated Contents Table but i dont know how.

Can someone please point me the correct way? is it done on the outlook
client?  on the exchange server?

I appreciate any help

Regards

Davide

You cannot create a hidden message manually. You must use code. Perhaps =
the easiest method is to use CDO 1.21. See =
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D266734 for sample code.=20

Why doesn't the application handle this chore for you, I wonder?=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Davide" <bandiera_davide@emc.com> wrote in message =
> Hi there,
>=20
> the application that I am working with requires a hidden message (of
> any class) to be inside a folder (corporate archive) on the root of =
the
> mailbox so that it can identify the specific folder and then archive
> its contents.
>=20
> I understand that I need to create this hidden message in the
> Associated Contents Table but i dont know how.
>=20
> Can someone please point me the correct way? is it done on the outlook
> client?  on the exchange server?
>=20
> I appreciate any help
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Davide

0
suemvp (4038)
2/1/2006 2:44:05 PM
A better place for this question would be one of the Outlook programming
groups.

You can't do what you want using the Outlook object model. You would have to
use CDO 1.21 (optional installation for Outlook 2000 and later) or Extended
MAPI (C++ or Delphi code only) or Redemption (3rd party library at
www.dimastr.com/redemption). Then you can access the HiddenItems collection
of a folder and add an item to that.

You could also create it using server side code, so you need to be more
specific as to versions of Outlook and Exchange, where the code would run,
what language and platform you are using.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Davide" <bandiera_davide@emc.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> the application that I am working with requires a hidden message (of
> any class) to be inside a folder (corporate archive) on the root of the
> mailbox so that it can identify the specific folder and then archive
> its contents.
>
> I understand that I need to create this hidden message in the
> Associated Contents Table but i dont know how.
>
> Can someone please point me the correct way? is it done on the outlook
> client?  on the exchange server?
>
> I appreciate any help
>
> Regards
>
> Davide

0
kenslovak (742)
2/1/2006 2:46:17 PM
Thank You Sue, thank you Ken.

I like the idea of doing it at server level.  My customer uses Exchange
2003 and Outlook 2003.  The ideal solution would be that I could
centrally create a visible folder at the root level of each user
mailbox containing a hidden message (dont matter the class) so that
when i run an archive task from my application, the task would find the
folder with this hidden class message and then archive all its
contents.

Could you tell me which tools I need on the exchange server side to
achieve this?

Thanks a lot of your time and help.

Davide

Well, first of all you need to use server side CDO 1.21, that would be the
easiest. The reference Sue gave would work for server side CDO. That CDO is
installed when the ESM is installed. Then of course you need to use a logon
that has access and permissions for every mailbox you want to access, either
an admin logon or each user's logon.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

> Thank You Sue, thank you Ken.
>
> I like the idea of doing it at server level.  My customer uses Exchange
> 2003 and Outlook 2003.  The ideal solution would be that I could
> centrally create a visible folder at the root level of each user
> mailbox containing a hidden message (dont matter the class) so that
> when i run an archive task from my application, the task would find the
> folder with this hidden class message and then archive all its
> contents.
>
> Could you tell me which tools I need on the exchange server side to
> achieve this?
>
> Thanks a lot of your time and help.
>
> Davide

0
kenslovak (742)

create a roster

Exchange 2000/2003 Public Folder item Permissions Problem
Hi all, I've been having an issue with Public Folder permissions for some time now. The folder contains contacts for all company employees (most of which aren't on the company network), and is maintained by HR. Brief history is: Had Exchange 2000 on Win Server 2000, and a previous administrator modified public folder permissions on the M drive in explorer (a no-no). This resulted in the ESM "Invalid window handle" error. Managed fix these by following KB 270905 (permissions nuke), and deleting and re-creating the public folder. The latter was a problem, as most users were ...

Task Create - Status

Public folder email addresses
I'm TRYING but failing to enable emails from the outside world to go directly to public folders. It was easy to do in exchange 2000, but so far no dice on my new exchange 2k3 (part of SBS 2k3). I have even tried creating a new distribution group, with the "archive to public folder" and assigning the group an email address. I checked permission and anonymous has contributor rights to the public folder, but I still am not recieving emails to the public folder. Help! Eric Hi Eric, Are you getting a Non-Delivery Report when you send a message to the public folder? If so, ...

Outlook slow to open messages
Hi, I am running WinXP with SP2, IE7 and Office 2003 professional with all updates installed on a 3GB PC fitted with 1Gb RAM. The PC is probably 3 years old now. Since the May updates I have noticed that Outlook 2003 is slow to open messages when moving the selection bar to or from an HTML message. The delay seems to vary day to day so it is reasonable some days and slow on others. At its worst it can take about 30 secs for some messages to open. Outlook itself opens up at the same speed it always has but opening messages has noticeably slowed down. I read one message about deleting ...

Message received in Outlook Express but not in Office Outlook why
I used Outlook Express as default for e-mail. I installed Office Outrlook and marked it as default. I continue to receive e-mail on Outlook Express but not on Office Outlook. What settings do I need to make? Open Outlook using the /checkclient switch: http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/commandlineswitches.htm -- K. Orland Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts - Marcus Aurelius "Old Fud" wrote: > I used Outlook Express as default for e-mail. I installed Office Outrlook > and marked i...

Create external database

Organizing Outlook folder for group to work from.
I'm just wondering if Outlook has the capability to do the following: We are a group of four people who work from a single Inbox for support emails. Each one of us specializes in handling a different set of issues. We want to be able to flag email in this inbox so that everyone in the group knows that one of us is working that email. Anyway to add flags with our names instead of the default colored flags? Also, we want the messages to not "Mark as Read" for the whole group when only one of us reads it. Any good way of doing this? Ideally, it would be great if the message was mar...

Confirmation before sending messages
Hi All, How do I setup Outlook so that it asks for confirmation before sending a message? E.g., "are you sure you want to send this message now?" That would be a useful feature for me, since I have the unfortunate tendency to hit "ctrl-enter" and send incomplete messages by accident. Often I am meaning to do something like hit "ctrl-v" followed by "enter" to go to the next line, but I just hit the keys too fast. -Josh If you're NOT using Exchange server, turn off the autosend feature (Tools, Options, Check for messages on... and clear the ...

How to create pie chart with %

test message

Sales Process error message in web client
When viewing an opportunity in the web client, if the user goes to activities and then selects the sales process tab (next the activities and history tabs), we get the following error: An error has occurred. Contact your system administrator. No one knows what to do about this. Any suggestions? It would be nice to be able to see the summary like all the books show. Thanks. Hi normally your can solve an error like this one by following this procedure: Clear the Outlook Forms Cache in the Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook client. 1. Open Microsoft Outlook, and then click Options f...

Queues backing up-Messages pending submission
The messages pending submission queue is backing up often on my e2k3 sp2 server. I try to run the Ex Troubleshooting Assistant, select queues are backing up, and it never returns any suggestions or root causes. Running a couple of the other tests now, but am still a bit concerned. If I stop/start SMTP services it seems to clear up for abit, but then it starts all over again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jason Looks like the routing engine(inetinfo.exe) had hung up a bit. Restarted all services using inetinfo.exe and things seem to be a bit better. Jason Meyer wrote: ...

when form created

Re: How to add public folders in favorite folders
We have an issue where our users (2000+) are screaming for an easy wa och finding the Public Folders folder in Outlook 2003. They are used to the easy way in Outlook 2000 folder list. Is there a way och adding the TOP folder (Public Folders) or maybe th subfolder (All public folders) to the Favorite Folders pane? We know about adding the subsequent folders to Shortcuts and the addin the shortcut to Favotite Folders, but is there a registry hack to mak this possible? We need to deploy this on 2000+ computers. Sincerely Mikael Sk�ld Systems Administrator Exchange Lantm�teriet - National La...

changing the message list in outlook 2003
i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the message look in outlook, it separates the messages by date. is there any way to turn this off, so i just have a long list of messages? Right click on the header in the message list, uncheck "show in groups." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Lee Benningfield asked: | i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the mess...

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

New POP3 E-Mail Account Deliver Folder
I have both an Exchange Account and a (personal) POP3 account that I check using Outlook 2003. Currently, both accounts drop new e-mail into my Exchange Inbox - and I have a rule that moves the POP3 e-mail to a personal folder inbox. Problem is, rules don't run when I'm not connected to the Exchange server. Is it possible to have the POP3 account post new e-mails to the personal folder, while keeping the Exchange account posting new e-mails to the exchange inbox? Thanks; Michael Have you tried to set up a personal folder specifically for the pop account and set the exchange acc...