How to change where Outlook 2003 saves attachments

I have followed Microsoft's instructions on how to change where Outlook
2003 saves attachments. Those are found in Knowledge Base Article
#823131 and involve changing the Registry. (There really should be an
easier way.)

Anyway, despite having followed those instructions explicitly, Outlook
continues to save emailed attachments in a folder buried deep in the C:
drive that doesn't even show itself when I navigate to it (and even
when I set folder options to show hidden folders).   Just to try
everything, I did a completely clean reinstall of Outlook and then
followed the Registry edit instructions again. But to no avail. Outlook
continues to save to that same hidden folder.

Can anyone here offer any help/advice on another way to change that
attachment saving location?

0
lee4625 (2)

It should work - but only for saving attachments on received email, when you
specifically save attachments. It wouldn't change it for attachments you add
to new messages or affect the securetemp folder location.  Based on your
description of the problem, i think you are talking about the securetemp
folder. While you can move it, you shouldn't be relying on it for saved
messages - you should save them to a folder of your choice, which the reg
key you edited will change.

In any event, if you can't get it working, add the folder to your places bar
so it's just a click away.

changing the folder:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2005/20051117.htm

places bar:
http://www.poremsky.com/p/XPplaces_bar.htm

securetemp
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2003/20030828.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

<lee@bestimageproductions.com> wrote in message
>I have followed Microsoft's instructions on how to change where Outlook
> 2003 saves attachments. Those are found in Knowledge Base Article
> #823131 and involve changing the Registry. (There really should be an
> easier way.)
>
> Anyway, despite having followed those instructions explicitly, Outlook
> continues to save emailed attachments in a folder buried deep in the C:
> drive that doesn't even show itself when I navigate to it (and even
> when I set folder options to show hidden folders).   Just to try
> everything, I did a completely clean reinstall of Outlook and then
> followed the Registry edit instructions again. But to no avail. Outlook
> continues to save to that same hidden folder.
>
> Can anyone here offer any help/advice on another way to change that
> attachment saving location?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/29/2006 4:06:52 AM
"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the ISDN # of your book. Can I get it on line or in London UK

Amazon UK has it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Yourself-Microsoft-Outlook-Hours/dp/0672325543

That wasn't hard, was it?b

0
gbplinux (1141)
12/29/2006 3:34:06 PM
The isbn is 0672325543  and it should be available in the UK.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the ISDN # of your book. Can I get it on line or in London UK
> --
> Ian D Anderson
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> It should work - but only for saving attachments on received email, when
>> you
>> specifically save attachments. It wouldn't change it for attachments you
>> add
>> to new messages or affect the securetemp folder location.  Based on your
>> description of the problem, i think you are talking about the securetemp
>> folder. While you can move it, you shouldn't be relying on it for saved
>> messages - you should save them to a folder of your choice, which the reg
>> key you edited will change.
>>
>> In any event, if you can't get it working, add the folder to your places
>> bar
>> so it's just a click away.
>>
>> changing the folder:
>> http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2005/20051117.htm
>>
>> places bar:
>> http://www.poremsky.com/p/XPplaces_bar.htm
>>
>> securetemp
>> http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2003/20030828.htm
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> <lee@bestimageproductions.com> wrote in message
>> >I have followed Microsoft's instructions on how to change where Outlook
>> > 2003 saves attachments. Those are found in Knowledge Base Article
>> > #823131 and involve changing the Registry. (There really should be an
>> > easier way.)
>> >
>> > Anyway, despite having followed those instructions explicitly, Outlook
>> > continues to save emailed attachments in a folder buried deep in the C:
>> > drive that doesn't even show itself when I navigate to it (and even
>> > when I set folder options to show hidden folders).   Just to try
>> > everything, I did a completely clean reinstall of Outlook and then
>> > followed the Registry edit instructions again. But to no avail. Outlook
>> > continues to save to that same hidden folder.
>> >
>> > Can anyone here offer any help/advice on another way to change that
>> > attachment saving location?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/29/2006 4:05:51 PM
Hi Diane,
Sorry for the delay in replying.  We've had family here for the
holidays and I've been paying attention to them.
Your advice was spot on.  Thank you very much for the time you took to
give a complete and accurate set of instructions for me.  You told me
just what I needed to know -- information that I had sought elsewhere
to no avail.

Cheers!

Lee

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> It should work - but only for saving attachments on received email, when you
> specifically save attachments. It wouldn't change it for attachments you add
> to new messages or affect the securetemp folder location.  Based on your
> description of the problem, i think you are talking about the securetemp
> folder. While you can move it, you shouldn't be relying on it for saved
> messages - you should save them to a folder of your choice, which the reg
> key you edited will change.
>
> In any event, if you can't get it working, add the folder to your places bar
> so it's just a click away.
>
> changing the folder:
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2005/20051117.htm
>
> places bar:
> http://www.poremsky.com/p/XPplaces_bar.htm
>
> securetemp
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2003/20030828.htm
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> <lee@bestimageproductions.com> wrote in message
> >I have followed Microsoft's instructions on how to change where Outlook
> > 2003 saves attachments. Those are found in Knowledge Base Article
> > #823131 and involve changing the Registry. (There really should be an
> > easier way.)
> >
> > Anyway, despite having followed those instructions explicitly, Outlook
> > continues to save emailed attachments in a folder buried deep in the C:
> > drive that doesn't even show itself when I navigate to it (and even
> > when I set folder options to show hidden folders).   Just to try
> > everything, I did a completely clean reinstall of Outlook and then
> > followed the Registry edit instructions again. But to no avail. Outlook
> > continues to save to that same hidden folder.
> >
> > Can anyone here offer any help/advice on another way to change that
> > attachment saving location?

0
lee4625 (2)

External data link change

outlook 2003- cant send to some distribution lists
User was upgraded from office 97. the PST was moved at that time. Fast forward several months... user hit the 2gb limit on her PST file. we created a new OL2003 PST, then imported all info from the old PST. Now whenever she tries to send to certain distribution lists, she gets a "unexpected error has occurred". when she hits send. if she tries to expand the distribution list within the TO field, she gets an error of "The command selected is not valid for this recipient. The operation failed." she can open it in contacts with no errors. We have deleted the list and...

Why does the change change to a number?

outlook 2000 #31
I cannot customize outlook today page now. The capability to do this quit working about six weeks ago. I have re- installed outlook 2000 but that does not help. ...

Synchronize Desktop Outlook to Outlook Web Access?
Using Outlook 2003 with Win XP SP1, latest updates to both. I just got a new e-mail address from work, which uses Outlook Web Access (Exchange server) for its web mail. Since the folders look similar to the Outlook folders in my desktop Outlook, I wonder if there is a way to synchronize the data between my desktop Outlook, and that on the web. In other words, to import the contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, etc. from my desktop Outlook into the folders on the web. My Inbox as well. (I have several e-mail accounts, all going into one Inbox in my desktop Outlook. Of course, I think I can only a...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Saving a Pivot Table
I'm trying to save a pivot table into an older format from Excel 2007. I receive a message stating that the pivot table is too large for the old format. But if I create the pivot table in Excel 2003, with same data source, I don't get any message and the pivot table is generated. Something seems to be wrong with 2007. Are there any solutions to this? ...

Outlook Unknown Error 0x8004060C
Hi, I have the following error message at the end of downloading new messages. The system stop and shows a popup with "Unknown Error 0x8004060C" I installed Outlook XP again but I got the same problem. Everything was working fine until...it could be an email of around 3Mb who stopped everything. I have no idea. Please help me. Thanks, Olivier I found a solution. This message means that you reach the limit of size of your pst file. You need to backup your pst file and create a new one. Or at least diminish the size of your actual pst file. Hope this will help someone, O...

Microsoft Outlook #22
I am trying to figure out how to receive/sent emails with Microsoft Outlook from a remote site computer (away from office/home computer). Where can I find this information or what are the procedures? I like access my e-mails while traveling. Unless you are talking about an .ost file with Microsoft Exchange or Outlook Web Access, you better HOPE you can't access your local Outlook over the internet as this would mean that your computer is open to anyone on the Internet. However, if you mean can you setup a mail account identical to your one at home, then if you are using the same ISP,...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

using IMAP and Outlook to share folders on 5.5 SP4?
I've got a client with 5.5 SP4 who wants to be able to drag an email from his inbox to a shared folder that his assistant can access. The server is outside their network, so can only use IMAP or POP3 I tried opening up port 143 for IMAP and created a new public folder using Outlook. I can see this new folder using Exchange Administrator app. When I drag an email from the Outlook inbox into the new public folder, I get a msg of: Can't move the items. The server responded: REFERRAL imap://userName:AUTH="@server.com/Public/%20Folders/Test] there is no replica for that mailbox o...

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ?
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? Rgrds, Zul If it was me do the OS first. "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message news:%23AeXnXErFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS > patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? > ...

How to hide Save, Save & Close button
Hi, I have created a custom entity and create a IFRAME. This IFRAME has its own save button and I am not using CRM traditional save button because of some specific requirement while saving that can only be achieve in C# coding. My problem is how to hide SAVE, SAVE and Close buttons. If I remove security with Not Write/Update permission this step hides the buttons but my _service.Create() method throws an exception becuase user don't have permission to create new record. Please help, how could I hide save/save and close or save and new buttons Regards Have a look at this blog: ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Outlook 2003 MSKSrver.exe! RUNS ALL TIME HOGS MEMORY!
Outlook 2003 Too Slow! I used the MicroSoft task manager to find-out what all the action in the background is! MSKSrver.exe RUNS ALL the time at 85 to 95 CPU and the CPU total usage is near 100% ALL the time with nothing major running but MSKSrver.exe! Whenever I try to do anything else, the new application takes forever to get going as it must compete with MSKSrver.exe! Why is that database server working all the time? What is it doing? I do not use "Favorite Folders" or "Business Contact Manager" yet, though those are areas show in MAIL, empty. I don'...

Inserting Video in FP 2003
I am trying to insert a .wmv file and a mp4 files using the Insert Menu, Picture, Video option. When I go into the Preview tab, I can only see the red square, blue triangle, green circle icon. (Video error icon?) I have already installed the WMP add-in for FP. I have Windows media player 11 installed. There are not large files - so it shouldn't take long to load. I tried to just drag the file over in FP and it seemed to create a Hyperlink, but when I previewed it, it still did not work. What else can I do to get these videos inserted on my web page? Thanks What...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

Recipient limits in Exchange 2003
I have a mixed Exchange 5.5/Exchange 2003 Environment...... An Ex 5.5 user sends emails to a distribution list that has 8000 members using a Shared 2k3 mailbox and has no problems sending to that dl. Another Ex 2k3 user sends emails to the same distribution list using the same shared 2k3 mailbox but receives the following error: The e-mail system limits the number of recipients that can be addressed in a single message. Send the message multiple times to fewer recipients. <servername #5.5.3> The global settings Message Delivery in ESM is set to 5000. I do ...