How to associate attachment file types with a previewer?

....specifically the text file previewer.  Working with a team of developers,
people are often sending attachments with .cs or .sql extensions and it would
be nice to be able to preview these as text.

Is there some way to tell Outlook that these file types should be associated
with the text previewer?

Regards,
-- TB

In Control Panel=>Folder Options->File Types - select the file extensions
you want to associate with the previewer (I use Notepad).  You can also do
this by selecting the attachment and download to the desktop, right click
and select Open With and select your option - again, I prefer NotePad.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Thomas W. Brown asked:

| ...specifically the text file previewer.  Working with a team of
| developers, people are often sending attachments with .cs or .sql
| extensions and it would be nice to be able to preview these as text.
|
| Is there some way to tell Outlook that these file types should be
| associated with the text previewer?
|
| Regards,
| -- TB

0
Milly
10/10/2009 9:00:14 PM
Unless I misunderstand you, that's not what the original poster was asking.
In Outlook when viewing a message you can click on the attachments along the
top and if they're a picture or a text file or an Office document you'll see
a preview of them in the main window. If instead it's a .cs or .sql or some
other sort of text-based file that Outlook doesn't know about you'll just see
a message "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer
installed for it." Registering a file association does not affect this - that
only affects what happens when you open the file.

I too would like to know how to register the plain text previewer to handle
more extensions in Outlook. It is exceptionally tedious to do save as on an
attachment, find it on disk and open it in an editor compared to how easy it
is to preview an attachment. It's often not an acceptable workaround to
associate a text editor as the default "open" action on some of these
file-types.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> In Control Panel=>Folder Options->File Types - select the file extensions
> you want to associate with the previewer (I use Notepad).  You can also do
> this by selecting the attachment and download to the desktop, right click
> and select Open With and select your option - again, I prefer NotePad.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> After furious head scratching, Thomas W. Brown asked:
>
> | ...specifically the text file previewer.  Working with a team of
> | developers, people are often sending attachments with .cs or .sql
> | extensions and it would be nice to be able to preview these as text.
> |
> | Is there some way to tell Outlook that these file types should be
> | associated with the text previewer?
> |
> | Regards,
> | -- TB

0
Weeble (2)
11/4/2009 3:05:01 PM
I found instructions for doing this here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/cc163487.aspx

Scroll down to the section "If You've Got It, Flaunt It". From the article:

"There are a handful of preview handlers built into Windows Vista. However,
some of them can actually handle more file types than they're registered to
support by default. Take, for instance, the Microsoft Windows TXT Preview
Handler. As you can guess, this preview handler renders .txt files. But
nothing about this preview handler restricts it to working with just .txt. As
a developer, I frequently receive C#, Visual Basic®, and C++ code files as
e-mail attachments. And I'd love to be able to preview these attachments
within Outlook, rather than having to open Visual Studio® as the default
viewer. Well, I can. All I have to do is register .cs, .vb, .cpp, and .h
files as extensions to be previewed with the Microsoft Windows TXT Preview
Handler. The following .reg file does just that:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cs\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
@="{1531d583-8375-4d3f-b5fb-d23bbd169f22}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vb\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
@="{1531d583-8375-4d3f-b5fb-d23bbd169f22}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cpp\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
@="{1531d583-8375-4d3f-b5fb-d23bbd169f22}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.h\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
@="{1531d583-8375-4d3f-b5fb-d23bbd169f22}"

"

"Thomas W. Brown" wrote:

> ...specifically the text file previewer.  Working with a team of developers,
> people are often sending attachments with .cs or .sql extensions and it would
> be nice to be able to preview these as text.
>
> Is there some way to tell Outlook that these file types should be associated
> with the text previewer?
>
> Regards,
> -- TB
0
Weeble (2)

How to make attachments show in printed Sent messages.
I often print a hard copy of sent messages, but the file(s) attached to the message to not appear in the printout. How can I have the icon for the attached file(s) appear in the printed copy of the sent message??? "oldgoat" <oldgoat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBE157E7-B156-4726-919A-2CD6108C834B@microsoft.com... >I often print a hard copy of sent messages, but the file(s) attached to the > message to not appear in the printout. How can I have the icon for the > attached file(s) appear in the printed copy of the sent message??? Wo...

Visual Studio 6 SP6 File Versions
Hello I recently downloded Service Pack 6 for Visual Studio 6. This release brings up a very important issue. What are the latest versions of MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL and what are their file time stamps? The one in Cab file is much older and lower version than what I have in my XP System directory. The one in sp has following version Service Pack MSVCRT.DLL 6.00.9782.0 the same file in my XP System Dir 7.0.2600.1106 Regards Shrishail Rana I have installed SP6 and in the System32 directory I have MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.1106 MFC42.DLL 6.0.8665.0 Shrishail Rana wrote: > Hello >...

M04: Can't open MNY file
Yesterday at about this time I opened MS Mony 2004 and worked in it with no problem. I spent a little bit of time trying to change my password, but in the end set it back to the way it was. This morning I opened Money and I noticed something fishy about it immediately. The radio buttons for working online or not were missing. I entered my username and password and money told me that the sign-in attempt was unsuccessful. I tried repairing the file, but it won't repair without a correct password, and it says the password is incorrect. Obviously, I tried putting in the password I had playe...

Problem with attachments
Suddenly when one of my co-workers sends me a Word doc. my Outlook 2000 blocks it, saying it blocked the potential unsafe .lnk file? What is a .lik file and what is happening for it to show up this way? Thx for any info. Gary *.LNK is a shortcut to a file. Double check with your co-worker to make sure they mean to send you a shortcut. (Shortcuts can be construed as a program and might be a worm/virus.) They may say "oops" and send you the actual word document and not a shortcut to something. "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:vl70d.35...

Help
Hi- I am trying to use the "save as" command to save my Publisher 2002 file as an image file (I've tried jpg, tif, gif and bmp) which will be acceptable to an advertisement firm. Unfortunately, they cannot accept MS Publisher files, so I must save it as an image. I have two problems/questions that may actually be the same underlying problem.The first is that when I save the file as one of the image files above, it heavily distorts/blurs some of the fonts to the point that it is unusable. Curiously, in some places the fonts convert fine whereas in other parts of the document the ...

associating AD user accounts with Mailbox in 2003
Hello, This may be a very specific question, but someone may have had this issue before. I am using aelita to migrate from 5.5. For one particular user account aelita could not associate the user account with the mailbox, so it automatically made a new AD account specifically for the mailbox. This points back to the users original and correct AD user account. I need to change the association of this so i can add mailbox features under the original AD user account. And then i can import the old mailbox into the correct spot, and therefore OWA may then also work. How can i remove the associ...

File associations for PP Viewer 2007
I helped a friend setup her new Windows 7 HP desktop unit. It came with the 60 day trial suite of MS Office 2007 and PowerPoint 2007 Viewer preinstalled. I uninstalled the trialware package and it left the PP Viewer as an orphan. Is there any way to re-register all of the applicable file types other than using the "Open with" routine? Here's what I've tried so far: 1. Ran the /regserver parameter 2. Uninstalled then reinstalled the PP Viewer 3. Reinstalled the File Compatibility fix No joy for any of the above. The only files it will open at present ar...

"Excel Cannot Open This File: Damaged or Modified"
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have been working on an Excel spreadsheet all day, saving frequently. I last saved and closed the file at 3:25 pm, and then went to re-open it at 3:30 pm, when I received this error message: &quot;Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format.&quot; <br><br>I saved the file as .xlsx, and there would be no reason for it to be &quot;damaged&quot; or &quot;modified.&quot; I have tried several solutions recommended on help f...

Default File Locations
I have set the File Locations in Publisher to a mapped drive on a server (U:\). This is incorporated into a profile on a W3K server. When the users log on the default drive mapping reverts back to My Documents. Why does this happen ? All other Office programs (Word,Excel etc) default ok but not Publisher. If I log on as the origanal user, the mapping is ok. ...

open attachment
I am using outlook 2000 and Exchange server 2000, when I try to open an attachment which is a screen shut from other application, size around 500k, will take me 40 sec. to get it open, any idea can improve it ? Thanks ...

Can you link cells between different files?
Are you able to link a cell and formula to a different cell in a differnt file? Yes "David C. Glasgo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0a4701c39a2f$7f0302b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... : Are you able to link a cell and formula to a different : cell in a differnt file? On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:05:28 -0700, "David C. Glasgo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Are you able to link a cell and formula to a different >cell in a differnt file? Try: ='[other workbook.xls]someSheet'!A1 ...

forward email as attachment`
I have Outlook 2002 and am trying to forward an email intact with full headers, like I can do in Outlook Express. I can not find any option for doing this. Is this "full-featured" program missing this feature? -- Mike D. www.stopassaultnow.net Remove .spamnot to respond by email use file, insert item or select two items, choose forward and delete the second message. Note that for reporting spam, its better to forward inline and copy the header and paste it into the message. There are utilities, such as pocketknife peek, that will make it easier. Or you can use a macro to ...

corrupt file
I made changes to an 07 project file. I saved it in 03. When I went to X out it asked to save it again. I saved again. Then when I went to X out it asked me again. I just got out w/o saving. I had saved the file fairly recently. Now when I am trying to open the file it says corrupt content and wont' open. Is there anything I can do? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01CADE4C.B8604C80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Penny, Welcome to this Microsoft Pr...

Moving Outlook to another PC, and moving data files to another location
Outlook 2003/SP2, XP Pro/SP2. I've copied my Outlook installation to a second computer using Microsoft Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. Aside from losing account passwords along the way (intentionally I guess) it all seemed to work, surprisingly. Then, with Outlook closed down, I've manually moved the data files (I prefer to keep them on a separate drive as part of my disaster recovery system / backup regime), and pointed Outlook at the new location when prompted. So far as I know this is the recommended method for relocating data files. Outlook is working fine in its'...

Set Association
When I receive an e-mail with an attachment I get the message 'Set Association' in the control panel. I have searched and cannot find this. Is it maybe because I have Vista and the attachment is in Word? -- Kind regards Anna and Peter La Passiflore B&B 0033 475 931276 This newsgroup is for discussions about Microsoft Access, a relational database program. It sounds as if this question is related either to Vista or to your e-mail program. In any case another newsgroup would be a better source of information. By the way, when posting to any public newsgroup it is best to...

Identifying ANSI or Unicode PST File
Hi, I need to identify greater than 1.5 GB PST files in Bulk whether they are ANSI or Unicode File Format. Is there any programmatic way of achieving the same? Using WMI or MAPI may be possible but I am not sure. If some one can help it would be great. Thanks, Gai ...

Need to copy chart of excel to powerpoint file without the other s
Hello, I have excel file. in the excel there is three sheets: test1, test2 and test3. in the test1 sheet I have chart with parameters. when I copy the chart and the parameters in the sheet 'test1' to powerpoint (with past special) and choose the 'microsoft excel chart object' it past the chart to powerpoint and I can change the parameters inside but the problem is that it also copy the other two sheets: test2 and test3. I want when I copy the excel chart to powerpoint that it will copy only the test1 sheet (without the test2 and test3 sheets), because this is what I marke...

Default Word Attachment Opening View
How can I disable the default reading view in Word when opening an attachment? I have a client using Office 2003 with all Win Xp Updates and when opening an attachment the default Word View is the Reading 2 page view. He wants the older std Word print Layout view. Can this be changed? http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041122.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips...

attachments selectively received
Outlook 2003. Problem is that some recipients receive attachments and some do not. I've changed the format for outgoing email to HTML - same thing. I convervted from OE to Outlook a long time ago and had a big problem understanding Contacts and Personal Address Books. For one recipient who couldn't receive attachments, i deletetd his entry from Contacts and then went to re-enter it - I got an error message that said the entry was still there and asked whether I wanted to add another one or update the existing one... after I had deleted the existing one. Any thoughts as to ...

Linked files
My manager received a Word 2007 document with icons at the bottom to open PDF files. For him they do not open, but open for me and the person who sent to him. We are mapped to the same servers, so it is not a mappining issue. Is there a setting somewhere in Word 2007 that would prevent opening linked files? Thanks Kelli If the links are hyperlinks, your manager may have to hold Ctrl as he clicks them. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Kelli" <Kelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1F4AB58-C73E-4CA2-B24...

Word attachment is being removed
I am using Outlook Express. When I try to send an email with a Word attachment, OE removes the Word attachment from the email. The person receiving the email then gets garbage for the attached portion. Is this a security setting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance ...

invalid OLE parameter type (vc++)
Hi all, I have an MFC app. I added an Automation Method via the ClassWizard which put this code in the .h file: afx_msg short dxOpen(); Then I added a parameter: afx_msg short dxOpen(CString* fName); Now when I try to go back to the ClassWizard, I get a parsing error: --- Parsing Error: "CString*" is not a valid OLE parameter type Input line: "afx_msg short dxOpen(CString* fName);" -- Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks J. J, The KB-article Q139072 details the acceptable parameter types for OLE automation. As the automation interface can be called from a nu...

photos in email sent to me in the body arrive as attachments
Senders tell me they sent it as one complete message. I get it with each photo as a separate attachment. Why does this happen and how can I change it? If they used Insert-> File... then it will show up as an attachment. If they used Inset-> Picture... then it will show up in the message itself. If you receive a lot of picture attachments and you want to view them in the message body or as a slideshow, then this add-in might be interesting to you; http://addins.howto-outlook.com/ci_picture -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 ...

create main configuration file for solution.
Hello. How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. Thanks :) "Mr. X." wrote: > Hello. > How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS > 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. > It's called an app.config. There is a name space you can use to mainulupate the app.config from a program. I see it on the project source directory (not for solution). I cannot see it on the release directory. Is there any convention to read / write from app.config...

Window mail will not recognise an association for pps type file
Could someone helps please ? When i receive a mail containing pps files, I need to save to disk all pps file in order to view them with microsoft viewer, because i get an error message saying to set the association in default program. The association is already done with the viewer. This problem is only happening with window mail. It does not seem to be able to download the file in a temps file and then open it as my hotmail account does. tks G L Windows Mail ?? You're in the wrong NG - try microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail Otherwise, Start - Control Panel - Asso...