How make 2007 Outlook default with Vista and MSOffice Pro 2003 installed?

My daughter has the Professional version of MS Office 2003 installed and it
works fine. But there is 1 exception:

Her office (where she works occasionally, mostly be tele-commuting)
installed the 2008 version of MSOutlook (only, not all the other programs
within MSOffice) and now when she wants to receive mail from that office the
Outlook 2007 (or is it 08) wants to be the default. But how does she do that
with Vista?

She can send and receive all her private mail fine with MSOutlook 2003.

0
Ritter1971 (35)

Theres something not quite right here.
Only a single version of Outlook can be installed.

"Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My daughter has the Professional version of MS Office 2003 installed and
> it
> works fine. But there is 1 exception:
>
> Her office (where she works occasionally, mostly be tele-commuting)
> installed the 2008 version of MSOutlook (only, not all the other programs
> within MSOffice) and now when she wants to receive mail from that office
> the
> Outlook 2007 (or is it 08) wants to be the default. But how does she do
> that
> with Vista?
>
> She can send and receive all her private mail fine with MSOutlook 2003.

0
DL
7/16/2008 5:35:57 PM
It is exactly as I told you before!
The complete version of MSOffice Pro 2003 was installed and ONLY the Outlook
2007 was installed additionally.

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> Theres something not quite right here.
> Only a single version of Outlook can be installed.
>
> "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> My daughter has the Professional version of MS Office 2003 installed and
>> it
>> works fine. But there is 1 exception:
>>
>> Her office (where she works occasionally, mostly be tele-commuting)
>> installed the 2008 version of MSOutlook (only, not all the other programs
>> within MSOffice) and now when she wants to receive mail from that office
>> the
>> Outlook 2007 (or is it 08) wants to be the default. But how does she do
>> that
>> with Vista?
>>
>> She can send and receive all her private mail fine with MSOutlook 2003.

0
Ritter1971 (35)
7/16/2008 6:58:21 PM
Ritter 197 wrote:

> "DL" wrote ...
>>
>> "Ritter 197" wrote ...
>>>
>>> My daughter has the Professional version of MS Office 2003
>>> installed and it works fine. But there is 1 exception:
>>>
>>> Her office (where she works occasionally, mostly be tele-commuting)
>>> installed the 2008 version of MSOutlook (only, not all the other
>>> programs within MSOffice) and now when she wants to receive mail
>>> from that office the Outlook 2007 (or is it 08) wants to be the
>>> default. But how does she do that with Vista?
>>>
>>> She can send and receive all her private mail fine with MSOutlook
>>> 2003.
>>
>> Theres something not quite right here. Only a single version of
>> Outlook can be installed.
>
> It is exactly as I told you before! The complete version of MSOffice
> Pro 2003 was installed and ONLY the Outlook 2007 was installed
> additionally.

Which means there are TWO versions of Outlook installed.
- The *complete* install of Office 2003 would include Outlook 2003.
- Then you/she/they installed Outlook 2007.
- That means there are TWO versions of Outlook on the same host.

As DL stated, only ONE instance of any version of Outlook can be
installed at a time.  Your daughter will have to make a choice as to
which version of Outlook that she wants installed.  If she chooses
Outlook 2007 then it won't match up with Word 2003, and the versions
must match between the Office components for integration to work.

"Her office (where she works occasionally, mostly be tele-commuting)
installed the 2008 version of MSOutlook".  And what does that mean?
That her company installed Outlook 2007 on her work computer (and left
her laptop or home computer untouched)?  Or that they installed Outlook
2007 on her laptop where Outlook 2003 was still installed?
0
V4521 (722)
7/16/2008 7:53:49 PM
Outlook 2007 will not & cannot be installed if Outlook 2003 exists
(I exclude dual boot & Virtual PC)

> It is exactly as I told you before!
> The complete version of MSOffice Pro 2003 was installed and ONLY the
> Outlook 2007 was installed additionally.
>
> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> Theres something not quite right here.
>> Only a single version of Outlook can be installed.
>>
>> "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> My daughter has the Professional version of MS Office 2003 installed and
>>> it
>>> works fine. But there is 1 exception:
>>>
>>> Her office (where she works occasionally, mostly be tele-commuting)
>>> installed the 2008 version of MSOutlook (only, not all the other
>>> programs
>>> within MSOffice) and now when she wants to receive mail from that office
>>> the
>>> Outlook 2007 (or is it 08) wants to be the default. But how does she do
>>> that
>>> with Vista?
>>>
>>> She can send and receive all her private mail fine with MSOutlook 2003.

0
DL
7/16/2008 8:00:04 PM
She was visiting here from Boston until yesterday and I saw both. That is,
MSOffice 2003 and MSOutlook 2007 on her laptop. So, apparently it can
happen.

My question was to her (and she did not know the answer) WHY they did not
install the whole MSOffice 2007?

> Outlook 2007 will not & cannot be installed if Outlook 2003 exists
> (I exclude dual boot & Virtual PC)
>
> "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> It is exactly as I told you before!
>> The complete version of MSOffice Pro 2003 was installed and ONLY the
>> Outlook 2007 was installed additionally.
>>
>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>>> Theres something not quite right here.
>>> Only a single version of Outlook can be installed.
>>>
>>> "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message

0
Ritter1971 (35)
7/16/2008 9:01:40 PM
No it cannot, having Office 2003 installed doesnt mean Outlook 2003 is
installed.
Outlook 2007 will not install if Outlook 2003 exists, its a physical
impossibility

> She was visiting here from Boston until yesterday and I saw both. That is,
> MSOffice 2003 and MSOutlook 2007 on her laptop. So, apparently it can
> happen.
>
> My question was to her (and she did not know the answer) WHY they did not
> install the whole MSOffice 2007?
>
> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> Outlook 2007 will not & cannot be installed if Outlook 2003 exists
>> (I exclude dual boot & Virtual PC)
>>
>> "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> It is exactly as I told you before!
>>> The complete version of MSOffice Pro 2003 was installed and ONLY the
>>> Outlook 2007 was installed additionally.
>>>
>>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message

0
DL
7/16/2008 9:14:11 PM
OK, I hear you. Now please explain this then. When I saw her double click on
the OUTLOOK 2007 icon on her laptop it would say something to this effect:

"This is not you default Outlook. Will you make it the default?"

When she said yes, it opened up and she could see all her e-mails up until
July 10. She could not RECEIVE and new e-mails.

Why is it asking to make it Default if it is the ONLY Outlook there?

> No it cannot, having Office 2003 installed doesnt mean Outlook 2003 is
> installed.
> Outlook 2007 will not install if Outlook 2003 exists, its a physical
> impossibility
>

> "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> She was visiting here from Boston until yesterday and I saw both. That
>> is, MSOffice 2003 and MSOutlook 2007 on her laptop. So, apparently it can
>> happen.
>>
>> My question was to her (and she did not know the answer) WHY they did not
>> install the whole MSOffice 2007?
>>
>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>>> Outlook 2007 will not & cannot be installed if Outlook 2003 exists
>>> (I exclude dual boot & Virtual PC)
>>>
>>> "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message

0
Ritter1971 (35)
7/17/2008 12:50:21 AM
Ritter 197 wrote:

> She was visiting here from Boston until yesterday and I saw both. That is,
> MSOffice 2003 and MSOutlook 2007 on her laptop. So, apparently it can
> happen.
>
> My question was to her (and she did not know the answer) WHY they did not
> install the whole MSOffice 2007?

MS Office is a suite of components, one of which is Outlook *IF*
installed.

Outlook is just one component of Office or can be obtained separately.

Having MS Office 2007 installed does NOT mean that it included Outlook
2007.  They may have installed Office 2007 but omitted Outlook and kept
the old Outlook 2003 that was there before.

You can pick which components to include in an install of MS Office, so
you can choose to NOT install Outlook in that suite.
0
V4521 (722)
7/17/2008 5:03:16 AM
Ritter 197 wrote:

> OK, I hear you. Now please explain this then. When I saw her double click on
> the OUTLOOK 2007 icon on her laptop it would say something to this effect:
>
> "This is not you default Outlook. Will you make it the default?"
>
> When she said yes, it opened up and she could see all her e-mails up until
> July 10. She could not RECEIVE and new e-mails.
>
> Why is it asking to make it Default if it is the ONLY Outlook there?

Because there is more than one MAPI (mail) client installed.  For
example, she probably has Outlook EXPRESS installed as it came bundled
with Internet Explorer (until until version 7 of IE).  She might have
Windows Live Mail installed.  She might have Thunderbird, Pegasus Mail,
Eudora, or any other MAPI-compliant e-mail program install on the same
host.

Internet Options -> Programs tab, select which e-mail program is the
default.
0
V4521 (722)
7/17/2008 5:05:42 AM
What is the exact message your daughter sees when she opens Outlook?  Does
she have Outlook set as the default under Control Panel->Add/Remove
programs->Set Programs Access and Defaults?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Ritter 197 asked:

| OK, I hear you. Now please explain this then. When I saw her double
| click on the OUTLOOK 2007 icon on her laptop it would say something
| to this effect:
|
| "This is not you default Outlook. Will you make it the default?"
|
| When she said yes, it opened up and she could see all her e-mails up
| until July 10. She could not RECEIVE and new e-mails.
|
| Why is it asking to make it Default if it is the ONLY Outlook there?
|

| "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
|| No it cannot, having Office 2003 installed doesnt mean Outlook 2003
|| is installed.
|| Outlook 2007 will not install if Outlook 2003 exists, its a physical
|| impossibility
|| "Ritter 197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
||| She was visiting here from Boston until yesterday and I saw both.
||| That is, MSOffice 2003 and MSOutlook 2007 on her laptop. So,
||| apparently it can happen.
||| My question was to her (and she did not know the answer) WHY they
||| did not install the whole MSOffice 2007?
||| "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message

0
Milly
7/17/2008 5:21:49 AM
Thanks again and I knew that one can install the sub sets applications as
chosen.
I called her in Boston now and she found where she can un-install programs,
but when it came to MSOffice 2003 it showed no sub-categories where she
could un-install an application, only ALL of MSOffice 2003. Of course
neither she nor I are familiar with VISTA and are used to Windows XP, so it
is hard for me to check this.

Any ideas?

If she had the install disk of VISTA I guess she could revert back to
Windows XP, right? Or must it have been installed at one time or another
first?

In Windows XP I could follow her and what she is doing on my own computer
here in MD.

Thanks for the help so far.

> Ritter 197 wrote:
>
>> She was visiting here from Boston until yesterday and I saw both. That
>> is,
>> MSOffice 2003 and MSOutlook 2007 on her laptop. So, apparently it can
>> happen.
>>
>> My question was to her (and she did not know the answer) WHY they did not
>> install the whole MSOffice 2007?
>
> MS Office is a suite of components, one of which is Outlook *IF*
> installed.
>
> Outlook is just one component of Office or can be obtained separately.
>
> Having MS Office 2007 installed does NOT mean that it included Outlook
> 2007.  They may have installed Office 2007 but omitted Outlook and kept
> the old Outlook 2003 that was there before.
>
> You can pick which components to include in an install of MS Office, so
> you can choose to NOT install Outlook in that suite.

0
Ritter1971 (35)
7/17/2008 2:55:26 PM
Ritter 197 wrote:

> Thanks again and I knew that one can install the sub sets applications as
> chosen.
> I called her in Boston now and she found where she can un-install programs,
> but when it came to MSOffice 2003 it showed no sub-categories where she
> could un-install an application, only ALL of MSOffice 2003. Of course
> neither she nor I are familiar with VISTA and are used to Windows XP, so it
> is hard for me to check this.

Rather than click the Remove button, click the Change button.  Then you
start the setup program where you can select which components to include
or exclude in the current installation.  Unchecking a component will get
it uninstalled.

I have never installed a single component in a custom install of the MS
Office suite.  It might be that if you install only a single component
then the only choice you are given is to completely uninstall it (as
there is only one thing to remove).

> If she had the install disk of VISTA I guess she could revert back to
> Windows XP, right? Or must it have been installed at one time or another
> first?

Only *some* versions of Vista have downgrade rights to Windows XP.  Only
the Ultimate and Business versions of Vista have downgrade rights PLUS
they must be OEM versions, not retail versions, and neither are probably
what your daughter had pre-installed unless she paid extra for the
expanded version.  Also, even if you have downgrade rights, you will
still need to obtain a copy of Windows XP to install it.  The Vista
install CDs do not include any other version of Windows than Vista.  You
don't actually have to buy an install CD for Windows XP but you will
need to obtain the install CD for that OS to install it.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

As I recall, you don't actually downgrade.  Instead you do a fresh
install of Windows XP and then use the product key provided with Vista.
At the end of the Windows XP install, you activate by phone and give the
rep your Vista product key whereupon they'll give you a new product key
for the Windows XP install (and you'll have to reactivate again
thereafter by phone if a significant change in the hardware requires
reactivation or you do another fresh install of Windows XP).

> In Windows XP I could follow her and what she is doing on my own computer
> here in MD.

If you want to provide remote help, some possible solutions are:

- Remote Desktop (included in Windows XP Pro and Vista).  She would have
to define an authorized login for you so you can connect to her host
(unless she wants to reveal her own login credentials to you).  She
would have to enable Remote Desktop, add you (or herself) as a remote
user, and configure any software firewall to allow inbound connects on
port 3389 (and also define a rule in a NAT router's firewall to forward
connects on that port to her host also on that same port).  You can than
grab her Windows session.  However, that means she won't see what you
are doing because her monitor will get disconnected so you can see that
output.

- Use TeamViewer, free for personal use. (http://www.teamviewer.com/).
- Another is Mikogo (http://www.mikogo.com/).
- GoToMyPC is similar but costs money.
- These have your traffic pass through a 3rd party's server so be sure
no sensitive information is divulged while using them, like your credit
card numbers.  All require some software installation, even if it is an
ActiveX control or single executable file that you download.

- VNC lets you remotely connect to a host.  There are several variations
of this free utility, the best ones being TightVNC and UltraVNC.  She
would need to install the VNC server program to which you connect using
the VNC client, along with the requisites of punching a hole through any
firewall or router to allow inbound connects.
0
V4521 (722)

Outlook Message start with white text and white background...
I am having an issue with Outlook whereas when I write a message... It starts with white text on a white background? WE will presume that you have already checked under Tools->options->mail format->fonts? If yes, are you using Word as your editor and have you chosen a Style that uses this font color against a dark background? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Ron.... asked: | I am having an issue...

Trouble Printing To a Phaser 8550 in Pub 2007
Just upgraded from 2003 to 2007, and now I am unable to print both pages of a publisher document. Page 1 prints fine. Page 2's title prints fine also. But where there is an embedded excel spreadsheet now prints as a black box. I have printed the document on another printer (inkjet) without a problem, so this does appear to be specific to the Xerox Phaser 8550. Please help. SpikeDDS wrote: > Just upgraded from 2003 to 2007, and now I am unable to print both pages of a > publisher document. Page 1 prints fine. Page 2's title prints fine also. But > where there is an embe...

outlook 2000 running under windows xp
Having recently received automatic updates for windows xp, outlook 2000 hangs on sending/receiving emails, is this a known problem ? I'm not aware of problems. Do you get any error messages? I'd try deleting the *.srs file. It's located at %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlo...

Make Default

why does my Outlook 2007 download pdf attachments in Word?
when PDF document attachments come into my email inbox, they are opened in Word, and consequently cannot be read unless saved to desktop and then opened with adobe - a convoluted process. It hasn't always been this way. What have i changed? You have changed the file association of pdf-files to open with Word instead of Adobe. There is no option to change this in Outlook as Outlook follows the settings you made in Windows. Which version of Windows are you using? One way to re-associate it with Adobe again is to right click on a saved pdf-file-> Open With...-> Choose ...

Outlook with Kernell errors
Whenever I try to run Outlook, I get the following error : OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7c811. This is after I removed the programme and then re- installed it. Before I did this when I tried to open outlook it would just make my system freeze or hang. Any ideas how to get this resolved.... ??? Thanks, David ...

I am setting up newsgroup in outlook but can not find the "news" .
I was told to drag the "news" command to the category "go" to set up news group...but I can not find the command "news"......can any one help please ? Thanks clement Look in tools, customize... Then got to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours ...

Keep losing Outlook.pst File
I am running Outlook XP with all current service packs & updates installed on XP Pro PC which all works fine, except that I seem to lose my outlook.pst file every few months for no apparent reason. I have configured all autoarchiving to NO ARCHIVING so I don't think this is my problem. When I search PC for OUTLOOK.PST it ca't be found. Can anyone shed some light on how to fix or stop this happening & where the file is going. JohnT wrote: > I am running Outlook XP with all current service packs & > updates installed on XP Pro PC which all works fine, > excep...

making a transfer show up in the budget

Access 2007 Form
Access 2007 I have short form with following controls: Customer ID Invoice No Invoice Amount Payment Amount Remaining Balance I would like to transfer the value of Remaining balance control to the next record’s Invoice amount control when I am adding new data. Two conditions should be true. First, the customer ID in the new record should matches the customer ID in previous record and second the value of Remaining balance in previous record should be greater than zero. Please advice -- Bardia You need a field, DateTime would do, so that Access knows which record comes ...

Outlook 2003 not responding when clicking on an e-mail with attachment
Hi, I am running Outlook 2003 on Microsoft XP. After reading various posts on this same problem, I figured the problem had to do with Winfax. I have Winfax 10.02 which is the updated version for Microsoft XP. The posts hint that the problem has to do with winfax but nobody posted a solution. I need both these programs on the computer. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance - nb. See if this information helps. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "nuj baf" <nujbaf@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d38d1b37.0404081330.17195721@posting.googl...

Directory location in Vista for all e-mails
Hi Need to know the Directory in Windows Vista where Windows Mail stores the e-mails Thanks to anyone considerate enough to take the time to respond David -- David Hawkins-Clarke Tools | Options | Advanced | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "David" <dhawkinsclarke@eastlink.ca.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:09906E15-D7C8-4435-8699-ECB674423F21@microsoft.com... > Hi > Need to know the Directory in Windows Vista where Windows Mail stores > the &...

2000 migrate to 2003
I have a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 site that wants to upgrade to 2003. We are planning to use new equipment for the exchange server and a file server, and reuse 4 additional servers. What is the best practice upgrade the exchange server first or the AD Doesn't make much difference, especially if you are planning to upgrade both within a short time frame. However, either way, I'd recommend to run Exchange 2003 Forestprep first. That way, if you do decide to upgrade your DC's to Windows 2003 first, you won't end up with mangled attributes. http://support.microsoft.com/def...

making tickets

Opening Office 2007 files using Office 2003 suite
Hi, I am using Office 2003 Professional version. Up until recently I was able to convert and open Office 2007 files using Office 2003. I had some computer issues recently and had to reinstall some software. I reinstalled Office as well as the converter but when I click on 2007 files nothing happens. Therefore I am stuck asking everyone who sends me a file to dumb it down for me and it is a real hassle. I am not real tech savvy so anything you can do to help is appreciated. Thank you! "redskins1" <redskins1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Template Files in Word 2007
I have a template that I would like to be available for every document that I open in Word 2007. The template contains both Macros and Styles. With Word 2003 I used to put the file in the startup folder. Do I do the same with Word 2007 or do I save everything to my Normal? -- marcia Macros will work from a template in the startup folder, but styles must be in the document template. It was the same with Word 2003. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web...

Custom Application performance dll : NOT working on Perfmon 2003
I have a performance dll which pulls up custom counters from my application as per the performance dll spec. It works fine with XP and shows values when invoked by perfmon. When my application is run on windows 2003 the perfmon of 2003 does not show any values. It shows "---" for values. If the same process that is running on win 2003 is monitored from a perfmon of XP it shows the right values. Any ideas as to what could be wrong. Thanks in advance ...

from eudora to ms outlook 2002
dear outlook guru's. i have just changed my mail client from eudora to outlook and imported the messages. everything was ok, except that the attachments are now seen as links to actual files in "c:\...\eudora\mail\attach" folder of eudora. is there any way i can have the actual file attached to the message, so i can forward as one file, but not having links to the file on my pc. your response is highly appreciated regards, jim ...

One use unabel to access Outlook webmail
I have a costumer that are running small biss 2003 with exchange. all are abole to read there mail throw outlook webmail except for one. we have tried changing her password, she is inn all the same groups as the others and she has outlook web enaboled as the other users. Any suggestion? What happens when she attempts to logon? Are there corresponding entries in the event logs? Nue "hans jacobsen" <hansjacobsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73BF4D97-67B6-4C45-9BE6-6D3DFB2AE7B6@microsoft.com... >I have a costumer that are running small biss 2003 with e...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

POP3 Outlook account
Hi, I have setup a POP3 Outlook account so to accesse me Exchange 2k3 server through 3rd party internet connection. It works fine but I have a couple of inquiries: 1 - Each time I reconnect after having the connection down for line quality, email headers are re-downloaded, ignoring the fact that they have already been downloaded in a previous session. Any way to stop that? 2 - Can I download Sent Messages folder too, or it is just Inbox? If not, what is a workaround, if any? 3 - Any way to import address book? Thanks Yba In news:7CD85C0D-780A-4B70-A20F-D04EB40E029E@microsoft.com, yb...