How do I make a "mailing list" and send to all those on the list

I use Outlook 97.
How do I make a "mailing list" and send to all those on the list?
Also how do I send an e-mail so I know when it is read?

TIA
Jack

0
jjjinc (1)

Go to File, New, Distribution List. Name the distribution
list and add the names you want on there.

To track an e-mail, go to Tools, Options. Click on the
Preferences Tab if necessary. Click on the E-mail options
button. Click on the Tracking Options button and click
next to Request a read receipt so that there is a check
mark in that box.

Bonnie

0
anonymous (74725)
6/21/2004 8:45:49 PM
Wrong. Outlook did not support DL's until Outlook 2000.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Bonnie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Go to File, New, Distribution List. Name the distribution
> list and add the names you want on there.
>
> To track an e-mail, go to Tools, Options. Click on the
> Preferences Tab if necessary. Click on the E-mail options
> button. Click on the Tracking Options button and click
> next to Request a read receipt so that there is a check
> mark in that box.
>
> Bonnie

0
russval (3097)
6/21/2004 9:44:21 PM
Right-o, Russ Valentine. Outlook did not support DLs before 2000, and a
much-needed update that was. But I do remember that if you used a Personal
Address Book (PAB), as opposed to your Contacts folder, for your e-mail
addresses, you could set up distribution lists, and I think that's what
Bonnie meant in her post.

Jack, if a Personal Address Book is part of your Outlook 97 profile, open it
and follow the instructions in Bonnie's post to create a distribution list.
If not, here is an alternative: In your Contacts folder, open a contact,
click the Categories button, and add a category to the master list. This
will be the name of your distribution list. Then assign that category to any
contacts you want to include in the list.

To send e-mail to the list, open your Contacts folder and apply the "By
Categories" view. Grab the category title, drag it and drop it on the Inbox
icon on your Outlook bar, and Outlook will create a message addressed to all
the contacts in that category. Hope this helps.

BTW, to get a read receipt for a single message, as opposed to all your
messages, click the Options button on the toolbar in your message (or View >
Options) and check the Tell me when this message has been read checkbox.

--
DDM
"DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks"
Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com

> Wrong. Outlook did not support DL's until Outlook 2000.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Bonnie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Go to File, New, Distribution List. Name the distribution
> > list and add the names you want on there.
> >
> > To track an e-mail, go to Tools, Options. Click on the
> > Preferences Tab if necessary. Click on the E-mail options
> > button. Click on the Tracking Options button and click
> > next to Request a read receipt so that there is a check
> > mark in that box.
> >
> > Bonnie

0
DDMara (266)
6/22/2004 3:32:39 AM
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uZx#sj9VEHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Wrong. Outlook did not support DL's until Outlook 2000.
> --

I am using Outlook 2002 and found a way to create a distribution list
all the people in the folder.

I even tried dragging and dropping the selected emails to the Contacts
icon on the Outlook bar -- it opens a new user, however, the text of
ALL the emails is inserted into the big text field on the General
pane. Not exactly what I wanted. Not sure why they even bothered
implementing that feature either! Does it add value? Perhaps it's just
a side-effect of OO drag-and-drop... anyway...

I saw that Outlook 2002 supports adding multiple users to a Junk Email
Sender's list (why they didn't extend this to *any* arbitrary list, I
don't know). In fact, I never use this feature (I use SpamPal which is
free and much more effective than some static list that I have to
build with each bad email I receive -- it's an obsolete feature given
the tactics of spammers these days). If you do use these lists
already, then the following method won't work for you :-(

1. Select all the emails in the folder that you wish to have each
sender added to the distribution list.

2. Select Actions -> Junk E-Mail -> Add to Junk Senders list

3. Open the disk drive where your user preferences are stored (this
depends on the OS you have, but on my XP system it was C:\Documents
and Settings\aaaaaaa (where aaaaaaa is my username).

4. Open the find window (CTRL-F) and search for the file named "Junk
senders.txt" within your user-preferences directory.

5. Open it as a text file with notepad, for example. It will contain
the email addresses of the list you just added.

6. Create a new Distribution List in Outlook as needed, copy-paste the
info from the Junk Senders.txt file.

7. Remove the list of users from the Junk Senders list, if ever you
want to repeat this operation with a different folder.

In fact, there are two .txt files (Junk Senders.txt and Adult Content
Senders.txt) -- you could use one or the other if you already maintain
a list.

I'd be curious to know if Outlook 2003 supports this feature more
directly. I'm still looking for a reason to upgrade to Office 2003
from XP. The presence of bugs and security holes seems to outweigh the
usefulness of the new features. I spend way too much time filing,
filtering, looking for emails these days, so anything to help me with
that would possibly convince me to take the risks of buggy or insecure
software.

A few weeks ago, Word 2002 crashed and the module that crashed had
something to do with speech recognition -- a feature I don't use but
which crashed my system. This is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to
avoid.
0
filmore (1)
6/28/2004 11:31:38 PM
You need to clarify step 6.
Copy-paste the Junk Senders.txt where?

And, no. Outlook 2003 has not improved on this function. That's why only
third party software can do this.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Cris Fuhrman" <filmore@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Wrong. Outlook did not support DL's until Outlook 2000.
> > --
>
> I am using Outlook 2002 and found a way to create a distribution list
> all the people in the folder.
>
> I even tried dragging and dropping the selected emails to the Contacts
> icon on the Outlook bar -- it opens a new user, however, the text of
> ALL the emails is inserted into the big text field on the General
> pane. Not exactly what I wanted. Not sure why they even bothered
> implementing that feature either! Does it add value? Perhaps it's just
> a side-effect of OO drag-and-drop... anyway...
>
> I saw that Outlook 2002 supports adding multiple users to a Junk Email
> Sender's list (why they didn't extend this to *any* arbitrary list, I
> don't know). In fact, I never use this feature (I use SpamPal which is
> free and much more effective than some static list that I have to
> build with each bad email I receive -- it's an obsolete feature given
> the tactics of spammers these days). If you do use these lists
> already, then the following method won't work for you :-(
>
> 1. Select all the emails in the folder that you wish to have each
> sender added to the distribution list.
>
> 2. Select Actions -> Junk E-Mail -> Add to Junk Senders list
>
> 3. Open the disk drive where your user preferences are stored (this
> depends on the OS you have, but on my XP system it was C:\Documents
> and Settings\aaaaaaa (where aaaaaaa is my username).
>
> 4. Open the find window (CTRL-F) and search for the file named "Junk
> senders.txt" within your user-preferences directory.
>
> 5. Open it as a text file with notepad, for example. It will contain
> the email addresses of the list you just added.
>
> 6. Create a new Distribution List in Outlook as needed, copy-paste the
> info from the Junk Senders.txt file.
>
> 7. Remove the list of users from the Junk Senders list, if ever you
> want to repeat this operation with a different folder.
>
> In fact, there are two .txt files (Junk Senders.txt and Adult Content
> Senders.txt) -- you could use one or the other if you already maintain
> a list.
>
> I'd be curious to know if Outlook 2003 supports this feature more
> directly. I'm still looking for a reason to upgrade to Office 2003
> from XP. The presence of bugs and security holes seems to outweigh the
> usefulness of the new features. I spend way too much time filing,
> filtering, looking for emails these days, so anything to help me with
> that would possibly convince me to take the risks of buggy or insecure
> software.
>
> A few weeks ago, Word 2002 crashed and the module that crashed had
> something to do with speech recognition -- a feature I don't use but
> which crashed my system. This is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to
> avoid.

0
russval (3097)

How do I zip sort mailing list when I have 5 digit AND 9 digit zip
I have a mailing list with zips in XXXXX and XXXXX-XXXX all mixed in. When I sort them, it seems to put all the 5 digits on the top half and 9 digits on the bottom half. I have made sure the column settings are set to special/zipcode. I have also tried setting them as Zip Code + 4 but it converts all the XXXXX versions to 0000X-XXXX. What am I doing wrong? Convert to TEXT -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97AB96D9-EAE6-4E6F-8AA1-1DE4137EDA06@microsoft.c...

disable out-of-office for (non-exchange) mailing lists
> At 10:07 PM 7/29/2004, you wrote: >>> >>> >>>Please disable your Out of Office AutoReply feature for the perl-win32-users mailing list. >>> >>>Thank you, >>>Randy. > > Randy, > > I would be glad to do so, but my employer has recently switched from our Unix system with a .forward to a generic web MS Exchange-based interface (although I continue to use Eudora as my POP email client). > > Do you have any idea how to perform selective out-of-office responses in an Exchange-based email environment? It is...

re: mailing list
Gene, without viewing your word and excel docs it's a bit hard to comment, but generically, Set up your excel sheet with the data fields you want, generally I use Title, FirstName, LastName, Address1, Address2, Town, State, Postcode. Open Word and use Tools/Mail Merge Helper and when you see step 2 choose open data source. In Word XP its under Tools/Letters and Mailings on step 2, choose all files, and select the excel sheet. Once you have your word doc up, then insert merge fields, click on the ABC button on the merge toolbar, and you will see the text for the current record. If your d...

pasting mailing lists into windows vista mail
I have a very long excel spreadsheet with email address in one column. With the older outlook product I was always able to cut and paste the column into the TO field and send mass emailings. Now that I am using winmail I get an error when I try to do this: CHECK NAMES: no matches found ........ I have a clunky work around-I have added semicolins to each email address in the excel sheet but this of course is not a useful permanent fix. Can someone tell me how to turn off the "check names" feature or if this is not possible, how winmail can be used with excel to send...

using Excell to print mailing list
how do I print a mailing list to envelopes using a spreadsheet from Excell? -- Rick http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011205671033 data in Excel the rest happens in word. -- Allllen "Rick" wrote: > how do I print a mailing list to envelopes using a spreadsheet from Excell? > -- > Rick For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source have a look here http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource. -- Ber...

Need help with mailing list
I have two mailing lists. List A is approximately 16,000 customers. List B is about 6,000 customers. All of the customers on List B are also on List A. I need to remove all of the customers on List B, from List A. My expected result is List A minus List B = List C (new list of about 10,000). This should be simple, but I do not know how to start. ...

Using Outlook to create/read mailing lists
I recently installed Outlook in my office and would like it to do some automated tasks. Specifically, automated email to my employees based on a spreadsheet or database. If I have an individuals name on a spreadsheet, is it possible to link Outlook to that spreadsheet (let's say in Excel) and create a mailing list? I'm using Outlook '03 and my employees are already on a list in Outlook. Any help would be appreciated. Yes to do this type of automation, you can use the addin Thanks for the response. Could you be a bit more specific. I'm an Outlook beginner. what do yo...

Mailing lists111
Hi, Is it possible in Exchange 2003 to create server moderated mailing lists containing addresses that don't belong in the domain? In other words I need to create some mialing lists (controlled at the server level) with our customers for sending them announcements with upgrades, training schedules and other news. Thanks, Calin leu. On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 07:00:39 -0500, "Calin Leu" <Calin@learn.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is it possible in Exchange 2003 to create server moderated mailing lists >containing addresses that don't belong in the domain? >In oth...

Mailing list to Bcc: not taking
I just installed WLM 2011 and I have an old problem back again. when I go to send mail and I insert a mailing list of around 25 addresses into the Bcc: field, the show properly, but when I attempt to send that e-mail, only one address appears in the Bcc: field. If I copy the list from a previously sent e-mal that did work correctly in the past, and paste it into the current message, it works correctly. Anyone have an idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance, Dave ...

Create your own massive Mailing list!
http://www.magictools.nl/list/346 This is as good as it looks, get your mailing list started today. A spammer selling spamming services. How original. "MPO6998" <mpo6998@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:aKhJd.4570$q%4.4275@fe03.lga... > http://www.magictools.nl/list/346 > > This is as good as it looks, get your mailing > list started today. > > > > > ...

Mailing Lists on a Newsletter
I'm trying to set up a newsletter and I'm almost finished......but I'm stuck on one part. At the bottom of the newsletter, it says to remove your name from the mailing list, please click here. I want to add this feature to my newsletter but I can't figure out how to set this up. I would like my customers to be able to click that and be automatically removed from the mailing list. Please help! You would need to insert a hyperlink that would open their email application with your email address. Best answered in the Publisher.Web.Design group. -- Mary Sauer http://msa...

Mailing List by Product
I'm trying to implement MS CRM 1.2 (spanish) in our office, and I have two questions from my sales representative: - How we can get a list of customers who have / haven't a one or variours of your products? (It will be used to send mailings by e-mails or fax). - We need to know if a customer belongs to an a Sales Group or Association (sometimes, they buy products toguether to obtain best prices from us...). We also meet with the people from a determinated group. How can we do it with this CRM? Thanks. David. For the first question, you will probably need to build a custom rep...

I deleted a mailing list by accident. How can I restore the list.
I don't know how but I have lost a mailing list from my documents. How can I find that list and restore it? Look first in the Recycle Bin. If not found, search the entire hard disk for it. Didn't you have a backup? "JAultice" <JAultice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41075D0B-C7E0-4526-8208-79A0E16FAE42@microsoft.com... >I don't know how but I have lost a mailing list from my documents. How can >I > find that list and restore it? Hi Search for a little app called "REST2514" its easy to find, this will search your hard...

mailing lists
If the powers that be wish to send a 5mb attachment to 15,000 addresses, what are my difficulties in accomplishing this. I've been told by numerous list server software companies that it is not feasible, and the standard is a 50-100kb attachment. We will be moving to Exchange, and I was wondering if it feasible? In order to create a Distribution Group (DL) in AD you need to create contacts for the foreign smtp addresses. With 15,000 addresses you would need to script this. You would then need to make sure that Exchange had no restrictions on attachment sizes or number of recipients....

Mailing lists
I would like to creat a mailing list, so I can keep my customers up to date on events and sales. Please help. Carol @Country Morning Livermore, Ca. sunni2003 wrote: > I would like to creat a mailing list, so I can keep my customers up to date on events and sales. Please help. > Carol @Country Morning > Livermore, Ca. > How many addies have you collected? just wondering (if I get a response hahaha) FYI ask Vanna for "another E" Tools, Mail & Catalog merge, create address list. If you have 2000 it is on the toolbar as "Mail Merge." -- Mary Sauer M...

how to set up a unsubscribe from mailing list page

How do I make a "mailing list" and send to all those on the list
I use Outlook 97. How do I make a "mailing list" and send to all those on the list? Also how do I send an e-mail so I know when it is read? TIA Jack Go to File, New, Distribution List. Name the distribution list and add the names you want on there. To track an e-mail, go to Tools, Options. Click on the Preferences Tab if necessary. Click on the E-mail options button. Click on the Tracking Options button and click next to Request a read receipt so that there is a check mark in that box. Bonnie >-----Original Message----- >I use Outlook 97. >How do I make a "...

Create a Group Mailing List
I have created mail groups in the past, but now cannot. I have also read all the directions on this message board, but nothing works for me. Help! Why can't you? Are you missing the buttons on the toolbar? Missing buttons from the Windows Contacts toolbar http://www.vista4beginners.com/Missing-buttons-from-Windows-Contacts-toolbar Vista - "New Contact" and "New Contact Group" Button Missing http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/186477-new-contact-new-contact-group-button-missing.html -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, ...

mailing lists #2
If the powers that be wish to send a 5mb attachment to 15,000 addresses, what are my difficulties in accomplishing this. I've been told by numerous list server software companies that it is not feasible, and the standard is a 50-100kb attachment. We will be moving to Exchange, and I was wondering if it's feasible? ...

Send newsletter as pdf to mailing list
I am trying to send a newsletter I have created as a pdf to a mailing list that I have in publisher. I can create the email with the pdf attachment but then not able to pull through the email addresses from the mailing list. Anyone knows how this is done? The only way I've done a mass mailing is to have all the email addresses in the Outlook Express Address Book list or create a group in Address Book. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Boudicea" <Boudicea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:799AD9F1-B225-463A-B737-D28775DA1E63@microsoft.com.....

how do i convert a mailing list in excel to outlook
I have created a list of customers addresses in excel. I want to bring all these into outlook for printing labels. I do not know if there is a way to convert or not. The way I understand your question it seems to have 2 parts (help me if I am wrong) a. You want to import your customer addresses into Outlook) b. You want to create labels (using Word)? "chvbob" wrote: > I have created a list of customers addresses in excel. I want to bring all > these into outlook for printing labels. I do not know if there is a way to > convert or not. I preferably want to go into...

Excel mailing list
I have an existing mailing list that has all fields listed in column A. I need to separate out each row to a column with a heading (eg: Name, Street, STate, City, Zip +4) How can I take information from Column A and separate each one into the proper heading? Any suggestions would be great? Monica monica Try using Data / Text to columns, with comma as delimiter. Andy. "monica" <mcura@tsogen.com> wrote in message news:0bfa01c3d53e$d4549ef0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have an existing mailing list that has all fields > listed in column A. I need to separate out ea...

Extracting data to make mailing list
My neighbour has a .PUBS name and address doc. The doc is 10 pages long. Each page of the document is a table with 10 rows and 3 columns. Each cell is name on top the line followed by 2 or 3 lines of address. She then just cuts the full sheet Avery into mailing labels. This has become too difficult to manage, sort, filter, etc. Anyone have a suggestion how to extract this data so I can make a Publisher mailing list? Thanks. -- Ross try bringing it into Excel...you'll some "massaging" to do. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Ross"...

So, I guess I am in need of help with an "IF THEN" statement here... I have 18k records on a sheet. I am trying to 'auto-evaluate' the database - I don't want to send 10 catalogs to 1 address if there are 10 customers. I just want to send 2 for up to 5 customers, 3 for 5+... I don't want to waste that much paper (both capital, and physically, paper). I was hoping I could simply filter down the listings, not from 10 to 1, but from 10 to 3, and from 5 to 2... Does this make sense? Any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks, ...

access 2003 and multiple mailing lists
I want to create multiple Mailing lists for different Items that I send out from my marketing department. I want to create lists for four different items which are sent out every month, some of the recipients receive more than one of the items and others do not. I want to enter the information through one location and just have check boxes for the different items. like newsletter, SEC Invite, Follow Up Letter and so on. I also want this to be as simple as possible.If I need to, I also want to be able to print the entire list, not just for each Item. What would be the easiest way to make ...