How do I get XP to understand that I have gone back to Outlook Express as my current email application

When I installed Outlook 97 in my XP Home system, it wouldn't deliver or
receive mail, saying, "No
Transport Provider".   Outlook Express was working fine, with the settings
for account name, pw,
POP3, server, SMTP server, already put in.  I just wanted some of the
additional features that come with Outlook97.
When I tried to add a "Service", however,  it seemed to only accept the
Microsoft Mail Postoffice as the source/destination for email.  There seemed
to be no way to tell it to use an SMTP/POP protocol service.
So I tried installing IMEP, and SR1 and SR2 as suggested previously (and
thanks to all who offerred those tips, it almost worked!), but SR2 says it
needs SR1, and all SR1 does is sort individual Office97 applications into
two groups---  applications that it will update and those that it won't.  On
my system, SR1 declared that all of the Office applications will not be
updated because they are "newer or have already been updated" (?).  Then of
course SR2 refuses to install because SR1 hasn't been installed (grrrr).
  Long story short --- Office 97 is too old, I've concluded that any
software that requires multiple service packs is too old for comfort, and I
decided to go back to Outlook Express.
So, I removed Outlook97 by uninstalling it with the proper install/reinstall
interface, but now there's a new problem: XP thinks my current email app is
Outlook97 and not Outlook Express --- when I right click a file (to attach
to a new email) and select "send to email recipient" the process just
terminates and nothing happens instead of starting up Outlook Express and
creating a blank email message with the selected file automaticaly attached
like it is supposed to do, and like it used to do.
How do I get XP to understand that I have gone back to Outlook Express as my
current email application?

Tom

0
cyberhun (7)

Did you go to Tool/Option in Outllook Express and click the button on the
General tab that says "Make Defualt"?

-Lee

"Tom H" <cyberhun@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> When I installed Outlook 97 in my XP Home system, it wouldn't deliver or
> receive mail, saying, "No
> Transport Provider".   Outlook Express was working fine, with the settings
> for account name, pw,
> POP3, server, SMTP server, already put in.  I just wanted some of the
> additional features that come with Outlook97.
> When I tried to add a "Service", however,  it seemed to only accept the
> Microsoft Mail Postoffice as the source/destination for email.  There
seemed
> to be no way to tell it to use an SMTP/POP protocol service.
> So I tried installing IMEP, and SR1 and SR2 as suggested previously (and
> thanks to all who offerred those tips, it almost worked!), but SR2 says it
> needs SR1, and all SR1 does is sort individual Office97 applications into
> two groups---  applications that it will update and those that it won't.
On
> my system, SR1 declared that all of the Office applications will not be
> updated because they are "newer or have already been updated" (?).  Then
of
> course SR2 refuses to install because SR1 hasn't been installed (grrrr).
>   Long story short --- Office 97 is too old, I've concluded that any
> software that requires multiple service packs is too old for comfort, and
> decided to go back to Outlook Express.
> So, I removed Outlook97 by uninstalling it with the proper
install/reinstall
> interface, but now there's a new problem: XP thinks my current email app
is
> Outlook97 and not Outlook Express --- when I right click a file (to attach
> to a new email) and select "send to email recipient" the process just
> terminates and nothing happens instead of starting up Outlook Express and
> creating a blank email message with the selected file automaticaly
attached
> like it is supposed to do, and like it used to do.
> How do I get XP to understand that I have gone back to Outlook Express as
my
> current email application?
>

> Tom

Good idea, I thought, 'for sure this is going to work!'
  Alas, it said "This app is NOT the default mail handler."  Then I clicked
the button to make it the default mail handler, and "Apply", and then it
said "This is the default mail handler".  But when I close and reopen that
dialog box, or property sheet or whatever you call it, it reverts back to
its initial state where it says its NOT the default mail handler.  It still
just terminates when I try to right click a file and select "Send to email
recip..."
Nice try, though --- keep 'em coming!

Tom

0
cyberhun (7)
5/4/2005 6:54:33 PM
Tom H <cyberhun@shaw.ca> wrote:

> How do I get XP to understand that I have gone back to Outlook
> Express as my current email application?

You don't really have to post this same question so many times and it's best
to continue in your original thread instead of starting a new one.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
5/4/2005 7:47:30 PM
u sure about that?  I dont think I would have gotten the answers that I did
if I hadn't posted a second version of it.

0
cyberhun (7)
5/6/2005 9:52:14 PM
Tom H <cyberhun@shaw.ca> wrote:

> u sure about that?

Yes.
--
Brian Tillman
0

--
outloo

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

outlook 2007 runs slow

can't send anything in Outlook 2002

Outgoing emails
I am having an issue when trying to send emails out.... It has been working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Please help. Message appears as follows..... -- The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'mail.aapt.net.au', Server: 'mail.aapt.net.au', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 23, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Try port 25. If you still get an error post back. There are cases where that doesn't work either and you need to change it, and another option as well . . . . let's just try one thing at ...

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

Windows Live Email Time Stamp
The windows live time stamp on all outgoing emails is 4hours later than the actual time. PC time is setup with the correct time zone. Only happens when using the online windows live email access. Can anyone assist? Thanks. v "dioncnr" <dioncnr@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:68BCFE8E-74E3-4967-B733-209DCE7C3BED@microsoft.com... > The windows live time stamp on all outgoing emails is 4hours later than > the > actual time. PC time is setup with the correct time zone. Only happens > when > using the online windows live ...

How to get SUMPRODUCT on filtered cells
I'm currently using the formula =SUMPRODUCT((F2:I1475>=1)*(F2:I1475<=9999)) This gives me the number of the full range of cells but I need this to update whenever I use a variety of filters. Any help is greatly appreciated Sam.D Say we have data in A1 thru B29 like: flia value 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 0 pass 2 pass 0 pass 1 pass 1 fail 1 fail 0 fail 2 fail 1 fail 0 fail 1 fail 2 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 2 fail and are appling autofilter to column a. We want to use sumpr...

outlook 2000 help file

Why do I get four postcards to the same person when I mail merge?
I merged my Excel document with my Publisher document just now and did a print preview, but the 4-up view shows that all 4 are heading to the same person. How do I tell Publisher that each "up" is a different address? If you are using 2003, this is a bug. If you are unsure there is a test print on the print dialogue screen. Use plain paper for the test. If you are using 2007, be certain you select multiple pages per sheet. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Batmantis275" <Batmantis275@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:324C9E10-38C9-4DA0-89C...

MSN accounts dosen't work in Outlook.

Outlook 2003

Excel Crash

DB Emailing Questions
1) How do i format the message text of an email in Access. I used macro builder - action = sendobject. Can you use code builder? if so, please give me an idea of how the code will be like. 2) Also can i assign the email to have a recipient automatically or do i have to write it down each time? Thank you in advance. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201001/1 On Jan 21, 11:51=A0am, "axm0035 via AccessMonster.com" <u56602@uwe> wrote: > 1) How do i format the message text of an email in Acce...

Getting List of Visible Windows
Hi All, I am working on a problem that requires me to know whether or not any part of a particular window is visible (even if it's like a one pixel corner). In my misunderstanding, I thought that ::IsWindowVisible would cover it, but it looks like that call just verifies that the hWnd actually has a dialog box. I was able to take it a step further and find out whether or not a window is minimized using ::GetWindowPlacement, but I really need to find out if a window is visible or not (in other words, not completely covered by higher z-order windows). Is there some sort of API call that ...

How can I instantly delete emails? I get a strikethrough + purge

Office XP to Office 2004 Question
Hi, I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I've never had occasion to look at Mac NGs before, so please accept my apologies. I am a Windows XP user who is contemplating the change to a Mac. I have Office XP Pro installed on my Windows machine, and I accept that I'll need to get the Mac Office (Office 2004?) when I change over. I understand that Word, Excel & Powerpoint files should migrate in a fairly straightforward manner, but I am less sure about Outlook to Entourage. (I'm assuming here that Entourage is the Mac 'equivalent' of Outlook?) I h...

Excel to check for regular expression?
Hi, How do you use Regular expression in excel? For eg: Check a column of data to see whether are all of them valid email addresses? Please advise THanks By valid, do you mean that the email is in proper syntax or that it is an actual email address. Text formulas can be used for proper syntax. Perhaps a Visual Basic proceedure. I doubt you can check that the email address actually exists, as many companies and ISPs will simply disregard and drop mail to invalid email addresses to eliminate spam "user" wrote: > Hi, > > How do you use Regular expression ...

Outlook 2003 Contact data

How do I read Pub XP version on Pub 2000 version?
I have created a 7 page newsletter on MS Publisher for Windows XP and would like to open it on my husbands computer shere he works to access his colored laser printer. He has Windows 98 and MS Publisher 2000. Tried but box ays "publisher cannot open in different version". You need to do a "Save As" and save it as a Pub 2000 file. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "skibbydo" <skibbydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D35BC07-C38B-404D-A7B8-69E1D7BB3721@microsoft.com... >I have created a 7 page newsletter on MS Publi...

A rule that places a new email in a sub Folder doesnt get displayed
Create a folder; Create a rule that moves new mails to that folder; Happy as larry. When a new mail arrives, outlook shows a blue numeric value next to the folder to indicate unread messages. However, if you add another folder to the folder created above, ie a sub folder and create a rule to move new email, you have to have the tree fully extended to be informed of a new email. Is there a way to see if an new email has been sent to a sub folder without having the tree list expanded? Cheers Phil What version of Outlook and what Service Pack level? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outloo...