How do attachments fill PST file?

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9013C.121CC270

How do attachments fill PST file?

Office 2007

If I understand correctly, Outlook stores email attachments in the PST =
file. I receive numerous good size email attachments. It would seem that =
this would swell up the PST file rather quickly. In Eudora, the =
attachments are placed as individual files in a directory.

Does Outlook compress the attachments in the PST file?
Is there a way to see what attachment files are in the PST file?
Is there a size limit to the PST so it won't accept more attachments?

Thank you for your feedback.
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9013C.121CC270

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How do attachments fill PST =
file?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Office 2007</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I understand correctly, Outlook =
stores email=20
attachments in the PST file. I receive numerous good size email =
attachments. It=20
would seem that this would swell up the PST file rather quickly. In =
Eudora, the=20
attachments are placed as individual files in a directory.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does Outlook compress the attachments =
in the PST=20
file?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there a way to see what attachment =
files are in=20
the PST file?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there a size limit to the PST so it =
won't accept=20
more attachments?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you for your=20
feedback.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9013C.121CC270--

0
no.email1 (31)

------=_NextPart_000_1153_01C90158.0155CD80

1. Attachments are stored with the message in the pst file. Outlook =
doesn't compress them any more than it compresses email messages. There =
are tools you could use to compress the attachments or remove them and =
file them eudora style.  See =
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/attachments.asp=20
2. You can use search - the large message search folder is a good way to =
see what attachments you have
3. You use 2007 and unless you are using a pst created in an old version =
of outlook, its unicode and good for at least 20 GB.=20

--=20
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

You can access this newsgroup by visiting =
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point =
your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.=20

  "John" <no.email@no.email.com> wrote in message =
  How do attachments fill PST file?

  Office 2007

  If I understand correctly, Outlook stores email attachments in the PST =
file. I receive numerous good size email attachments. It would seem that =
this would swell up the PST file rather quickly. In Eudora, the =
attachments are placed as individual files in a directory.

  Does Outlook compress the attachments in the PST file?
  Is there a way to see what attachment files are in the PST file?
  Is there a size limit to the PST so it won't accept more attachments?

  Thank you for your feedback.
------=_NextPart_000_1153_01C90158.0155CD80

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. Attachments are stored with the =
message in the=20
pst file. Outlook doesn't compress them any more than it compresses =
email=20
messages. There are tools you could use to compress the attachments or =
remove=20
them and file them eudora style.&nbsp; See <A=20
href=3D"http://www.slipstick.com/addins/attachments.asp">http://www.slips=
tick.com/addins/attachments.asp</A>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2.&nbsp;You can use search - the large =
message=20
search folder is a good way to see what attachments you =
have</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. You use 2007 and unless you are =
using a pst=20
created in an old version of outlook, its unicode and good for at least =
20 GB.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]<BR>Outlook Tips: <A=20
title=3D"http://www.outlook-tips.net/&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
href=3D"http://www.outlook-tips.net/">http://www.outlook-tips.net/</A><BR=
>Outlook=20
&amp; Exchange Solutions Center: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.slipstick.com">http://www.slipstick.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Outlook Tips by email:<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net">dailyti=
ps-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM">EMO=
-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You can access this newsgroup by visiting <A=20
href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx">htt=
p://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx</A>=20
or point your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com. <BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"John" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:no.email@no.email.com">no.email@no.email.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:evEs5aXAJHA.4748@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:evEs5aXAJHA.4748=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How do attachments fill PST =
file?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Office 2007</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I understand correctly, Outlook =
stores email=20
  attachments in the PST file. I receive numerous good size email =
attachments.=20
  It would seem that this would swell up the PST file rather quickly. In =
Eudora,=20
  the attachments are placed as individual files in a =
directory.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does Outlook compress the attachments =
in the PST=20
  file?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there a way to see what attachment =
files are=20
  in the PST file?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there a size limit to the PST so =
it won't=20
  accept more attachments?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you for your=20
feedback.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_1153_01C90158.0155CD80--

0
outlookmvp (5838)

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C90144.BFD1C750

Diane

Thank you for the informative feedback.
Much appreciated.
  "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message =
[...]

bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 name=3D"Compose message =
area"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true">
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Diane</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you for the informative=20
feedback.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Much appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:outlookmvp@msn.com">outlookmvp@msn.com</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:%23AGKTmXAJHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl">news:%23AGKTmXAJHA.=
1180@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
> [...]

  or point your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com. <BR></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    <DIV>"John" &lt;<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:no.email@no.email.com">no.email@no.email.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
    message <A=20
    =
href=3D"news:evEs5aXAJHA.4748@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:evEs5aXAJHA.4748=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How do attachments fill PST =
file?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Office 2007</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I understand correctly, Outlook =
stores email=20
    attachments in the PST file. I receive numerous good size email =
attachments.=20
    It would seem that this would swell up the PST file rather quickly. =
In=20
    Eudora, the attachments are placed as individual files in a=20
    directory.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does Outlook compress the =
attachments in the=20
    PST file?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there a way to see what =
attachment files are=20
    in the PST file?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there a size limit to the PST so =
it won't=20
    accept more attachments?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you for your=20
  feedback.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C90144.BFD1C750--

0
no.email1 (31)

uuencoded attachment from mailx is embedded instead of attached
Since I applied the August 2004 version of the post ex2000 sp3 roll-up and the latest April Microsoft secuirty patches, when our unix mailx app sends mail to our Exchange 2k server, the uuencoded attachment is embedded in the body of the message instead of being received as an attachment. Being embedded in the message body turns it into unuseable garbage. We have not made any changes to the unix box, only the exchange box. Has anyone else experienced this problem or anyone know what the solution may be? Thanks ...

Printing

Attachment Read only
Hi, When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 Rgds Dear, It seems you are opening the attachment in OL Reading preview - Open the mail(double click on the mail) and then read the attachment. Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Jsingh" wrote: > Hi, > > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not > readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 > > Rgds > Jsingh, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:03:02 -0800: > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually i...

Attach a file in knowledge base
Hi all, Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doesn't make sense to only type it in or copy the text into the article. Thanks in advance, DK. I had the same problem and apparently this is not a feature in MS CRM 3.0. According to a CRM representative the answer is that you cannot attach a document to a knowledge base article. "DK" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an > article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doe...

Pre-filling column
When I am typing into a column, some of my columns are pre-filling with data that might already be in the worksheet. But sometimes it does not pre-fill. What do I have to do so the column will pre-fill based on the data that is already in that column??? This Newsgroup is the BEST! Thanks in advance for your help. The normal "prefill" is happening only if similar data are already i the same column. It is not based on data in other columns. Prefill will only happen if there is no alternative. I.e. if you have a cell with asdf, the next time you start with a i will prefill but if...

Automaticly open attachment and print attachment
Hello, Is there a way to automaticly open a attachment and print it? I played with the rules wizard but there i can only get the message openend and printed. I use Outlook 2003 Thanks. You'll need a 3rd party utility. Look for solutions here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http:/...

cell fill colors in excel spreadsheet
Why can't I view cell fill colors in my excel 2002 spreadsheet? Hi do you have high contrast enabled? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Shane561" <Shane561@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C9142740-114B-4478-95B3-28D646203282@microsoft.com... > Why can't I view cell fill colors in my excel 2002 spreadsheet? If the high contrast setting is turned on you won't see the fill colour. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Colour and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.micro...

Oulook 2000 Blocking Attachments! Reposted
Hi ONG, I am running Ms-Outlook 2000 Service pack 3, on a Windows pro 2000 Service pack 4. Standalone machine. Recently my mail client has been blocking my email attachments, i have received two replies from the newsgroup describing Level1 security in Outlook, also a link to a site containing all the releative information regarding the subject. But no matter what i try Outlook still wont allow the access to the attachment. I created the new Key and the necessary String Value, i have even tried to use the ( . ) character before the file ext, also i have tried it without the ( .) character, no...

How to Find the Message that contained The Attachment of a Known File-Name.
Is there some way to search through a list of emails in Outlook 2003 to find the one that contains an attachment of a specific file name? I am often trying to track down the message that accompanied an attachment with a known file-name amongst thousands of messages in one mailbox. Regards, AndyH If attached to an Exchange server, I would, as an admin, use a utility server-side. From the client, I'm not sure Outlook can do it on its own. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Some of the desktop search applications have this functionality though. "AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au&g...

Lotus 123 files
Hi everyone, I'm trying to open a Lotus 123 file in Excel 2002, that a person emailed to me as an attachment. I get the following message: "Cannot open Lotus 123 file." Does anyone know if Excel 2002 can open Lotus 123 files? If so, is there a conversion utility? Thanks in advance, Joe If you know someone with a recent version of 1-2-3 you can ask him or her to open the .123 file and save it in .WK4 format or .XLS format for you. Otherwise I think your only option is to get Conversions Plus from www.dataviz.com. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Thanks Jim >-----Original M...

attachments do not forward
I want to forward e-mails which come to me with attachments. I want these attachments to forward along with the message and they do not. How can I make this happen? Is there a setting to enable this? ...

Editing attachments in Outlook XP
If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in the email? Has anyone ever seen it not save the edits at all? It may be in a secure folder under the Temporary Internet Folder as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 "DonnaC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052d01c3be9b$44ebd3a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make > edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in > the email? > Has anyone ever seen it...

Filling an email with html
Hi How can I fill a new email with content from an html file? Thanks Regards John, you wrote on Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:04:22 -0000: > How can I fill a new email with content from an html file? Create a new html-mail. Then go to Insert | File. Select the html-file and click on the little arrow right hand the "Insert" Button and select "Insert as text". -- Best Regards Christian Goeller Am Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:04:22 -0000 schrieb John: You need to read the file�s content first. Sample: Public Function ReadFile(sPath As String) As String On Error GoTo AUSGANG ...

attachments.......
Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. Thanks, Crank down the internal message size limits to a value that makes sense to you. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:03:07 -0500, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I >am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. > > >Thanks, > > ...

Printing a pdf file
If I create a document at home using Publisher 2007 with a specific font style, and go to work and try to print it there when the Publisher 2007 installed at work does not have the same font I have at home, will it change my font style, and if so, can I save it as a pdf file and still be able to print it at work without having the font style changed at work. I prefer the font style I have at home, but I have to use the work printer which prints huge posters. Thank you for any help you can give me. Or, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this? Glory If you (or a...

MS Project file can not open in Read/write mode
The user is trying to open their project in Read/Write mode, but this error message pops up. There are no projects to be Forced Checked In and no projects in the Queue for checkin. As administrator, I can open the project and check it back in, but even after doing this the user cannot open the project in read/write mode.I made sure that use has cleared cache for all checked out projects by her.any suggestion ? thanks in advance GP -- I would immediately suspect that this is a permissions issue. Is the user only a member of the Project Managers group? And have you made an...

Million Dollar Question, How to Recover oversized PST
I know this has been answered many a times, but can anyone help me retrive my mails from Outlook 2000 which is there in a oversized PST (2.06 GB)Please help me, i have tried repairing and opening it in Outlook 2003 and also importing to a new pst. nothing works. Thanks in advance Swaroop There is some information here http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm with links to a crop tool, be warned though that data will be lost "Swaroop" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a25c01c44e12$9bd26010$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I know this has been ...

Backup program that doesn't change the file structure
Not sure if anyone or myself asked this before but I'm looking for a backup program that will copy and update modified files to another location without putting them in some proprietary file format. ntbackup from XP makes some file called .bkf and other programs seem to create their own type of files. If I have 300 files in 22 folders that I'm backing up from drive C: I want to see 300 files in 22 folders in the backup location after its done. Is this even possible? Basically a mirror of the existing data. "Gary Gary" <blah@blah.blah> wro...

enter time into file for a time sheet
how can I enter the time automatically into a cell. perhaps a macro. hilte the cell and hit your macro or enter? I want to round the time to the nearest 1/4 hour. I also want to be able to override the automatic function The quick way to enter current time is Ctrl plus the colon (date is Ctrl plus semi-colon) but this doesn't round to the nearest 15 minutes. I think there is an add-in that would do that as a worksheet function. Here is a subroutine that might do what you want: Sub RndToQtrHr() Dim currMin As Long Dim M As Long Dim plusHour As Boolean currMin = Minute(Time) plusHour = ...

Have to scroll to see full list of attachments in Outlook 2007?
A colleague of mine keeps sending me HTML emails in Outlook with multiple attachments, but the full list of attachments does not appear all at once on the screen. There is a scroll bar on the FAR right next to the attachments, and you have to scroll down through the list of attachments to see all of the attachments (I can send a screen shot to better explain this). So for example, if an email has four attachments, I only see the first three on the screen, and then I have to scroll down to see the fourth attachment. This is very confusing as I can easily "miss" an attach...

Organization of files
In the next several weeks, I expect to complete my first windows application, built primarily with C++ in MFC. I will have hundreds of image files across various categories by subject matter, and probably several thousand small, compressed audio files organized in a number of ways. By nature and profession, I am very organized. But I need help in understanding what factors to consider in regard to using multiple folders in my release directory, and how to decide what resource files to possibly include in the exe itself. Is there such a thing as too many files in one directory? Is i...

File storage
Where and how are the files stored in the crm database for a note attachment, I need to download the file for a certain event and save it in a folder on machine without the download dialog box appearing. is it the version column of annotationbase where i only see binary,how do i query database in this case ,I am unable to do through the howto method of downloading ...

print out messages with list of attachments
Hello there, when printing out a message/email in full, how do I get outlook t print the list of attachments? Cheers, Wi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com found it in the newsgroups :-) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821840 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

remove attachment on reply
Some how I have set my outlook to save the replying email as an atachment and I would prefer it just be in the text form like before. Apparently I changed something or hit something that did this and I wold like to fix it. To delete attachments from messages in Outlook: Double-click on the desired message to open it in its own window. Click on the attachment you want to remove with the right mouse button. Select Remove from the menu. Close the message window. Click OK in the Do you want to save changes? dialog. calender, items, reaccuring, wrote: >Some how I have set my...

.xls attachment
Hi, can anyone help me? I'm quite new to the whole computer/techno life and have been trying for over 2 hours to find what I want! A friend has sent an e-mail with an attachment which has a .xls file extension. However I try, I am unable to open the attachment. I've downloaded various software at 'my machine's' recommendation including a works conversion thing for Word but still no luck. I hope it's something really simple which can be sorted by someone with a bit of a clue but I'm starting to get tied up in knots. I wouldn't mind but the attachment soun...