HELP: Outlook downloads 3,4, now 5 copies of each email

I make Outlook 2000 use a Outlook.pst file on a separate hard disk instead
of the usual C:\Documents & Settings\ folder.

Everything is fine. I also TICK "Leave copy of message on server" so I
always have a backup copy.

Now when i format my PC and reinstall Windows & Outlook, I point to my
D:\Outlook.pst and it starts using it. Then all of a sudden it starts
downloading ALL my emails again. If I format my PC once again and reinstall
Windows & Outlook, then Outlook starts downloading ALL my emails TWICE
(there's 2 copies of each email downloaded, plus the copy I already got
locally, that makes 3 copies!!!).

Is there any way to make Outlook 2000 intelligent and it knows NOT to
download emails if I got them already? I really don't want to untick the
"Leave message on server" just incase I lost the PST file.

Andrew Wan <andrew_wan1980@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I make Outlook 2000 use a Outlook.pst file on a separate hard disk
> instead of the usual C:\Documents & Settings\ folder.
>
> Everything is fine. I also TICK "Leave copy of message on server" so I
> always have a backup copy.
>
> Now when i format my PC and reinstall Windows & Outlook, I point to my
> D:\Outlook.pst and it starts using it. Then all of a sudden it starts
> downloading ALL my emails again. If I format my PC once again and
> reinstall Windows & Outlook, then Outlook starts downloading ALL my
> emails TWICE (there's 2 copies of each email downloaded, plus the
> copy I already got locally, that makes 3 copies!!!).
>
> Is there any way to make Outlook 2000 intelligent and it knows NOT to
> download emails if I got them already? I really don't want to untick
> the "Leave message on server" just incase I lost the PST file.

The information Outlook uses to determine if a message is new and needs to
be downloaded is reset whenever you create a new mail profile and
reformatting your PC certainly forces you to create a new mail profile.

One way to address the issue is to use webmail to create a new folder on
your mail server and move your older messages to that folder, out of the
server's Inbox.  If they're not in the server's Inbox, Outlook can't
download them to its own Inbox.

If you want to be certain you won't lose the PST, make frequent copies of it
(with Outlook closed, of course).
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/2/2008 7:34:35 PM
Thanks man!

Should the "OLDREAD" folder be a sub-folder of Inbox, or a root folder same
level as Inbox?

> Andrew Wan <andrew_wan1980@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I make Outlook 2000 use a Outlook.pst file on a separate hard disk
>> instead of the usual C:\Documents & Settings\ folder.
>>
>> Everything is fine. I also TICK "Leave copy of message on server" so I
>> always have a backup copy.
>>
>> Now when i format my PC and reinstall Windows & Outlook, I point to my
>> D:\Outlook.pst and it starts using it. Then all of a sudden it starts
>> downloading ALL my emails again. If I format my PC once again and
>> reinstall Windows & Outlook, then Outlook starts downloading ALL my
>> emails TWICE (there's 2 copies of each email downloaded, plus the
>> copy I already got locally, that makes 3 copies!!!).
>>
>> Is there any way to make Outlook 2000 intelligent and it knows NOT to
>> download emails if I got them already? I really don't want to untick
>> the "Leave message on server" just incase I lost the PST file.
>
> The information Outlook uses to determine if a message is new and needs to
> be downloaded is reset whenever you create a new mail profile and
> reformatting your PC certainly forces you to create a new mail profile.
>
> One way to address the issue is to use webmail to create a new folder on
> your mail server and move your older messages to that folder, out of the
> server's Inbox.  If they're not in the server's Inbox, Outlook can't
> download them to its own Inbox.
>
> If you want to be certain you won't lose the PST, make frequent copies of
> it (with Outlook closed, of course).
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Andrew Wan <andrew_wan1980@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Should the "OLDREAD" folder be a sub-folder of Inbox, or a root
> folder same level as Inbox?

Depends on what your web mail interface allows, I suppose.  Were I doing it,
however, I'd make it at the same level as the server's Inbox.  Remember,
this is a server-side folder, not an Outlook folder.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Automatically viewing picture attachments in Outlook 2002
I tried to search in this newsgroup but couldn't find the answer. Is there any way that outlook can automatically view picture attachments like in outlook express. Thanks. No. Outlook doesn't support inline image viewing. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "...

sumifs help

line graph #3
I have created a graph with two bars and two lines. However one of the lines the line begins and ends before the eginning and end of th egraph, is there a way to extend it? Also the second line graph I would liek to line up the data points with the first bar series. is this possible? Thanks ratio wrote: > I have created a graph with two bars and two lines. However one of the lines > the line begins and ends before the eginning and end of th egraph, is there a > way to extend it? Are the source data ranges misaligned? I can't visualize the problem. > Also the second ...

Help !

Outlook crashes when typing recipient
Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins installed. Thanks. It would be helpful if you provided at least some basic information such as: 1. Outlook version 2. Mail account type 3. Information store 4. The steps used to break Outlook. I suspect this didn't just start happening on its own for no reason. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1159655665.219713.8280@e3g2000cwe.google...

Help with this thing

need to add custom entity to email selection list
We have created a custom entity called Employee which has an email address as one of its fields. We would like to be able to select an employee record while creating an email activity. How do I add this entity to the list of entities to choose from in the To field in the email activity? You can't. The list of entities you can email to are set within CRM. One option to get around this is to load employees as Contacts - with a Contact type = Employee. "Jeanenne" wrote: > We have created a custom entity called Employee which has an email address as > one of its fie...

IM Error Message #3
Hi All, I'm receiving the following error message when I'm trying to run any integration: "The destination could not be initialized due to the following problem: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" The Symptom for this problem is when you go to Microsoft Dynamics GP > Tools > Integrate you will find the two lines “Integration Manager” and “Run Integration” are dimmed, although Integration Manager is already installed. I applied all the solutions that are available on Customer Source Knowledge Base, but didn’t work with me. If anyone could help ...

Outlook Express #222
Can I sent-up to send an Automatic Reply to my incoming mail while I am out of the office from Outlook Express? Do I need additional software in order to do this? ...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Auto Archive problem
Hi All, We use Outlook 2003 Sp3. One of my users has this problem with the Auto Archive feature: certain folders of his mailbox don't get archived. The emails stay in these folders and others folders emails get moved to the PST file according to the Auto Archive settings. Even if I try to archive manually some of the forlers that don't work, nothing gets archived. What can I do with this? Regards, Are you aware that the Date used to archive is the Date Last Modified? This may be causing what you think is unsual behaviour. When were the items last modified? Regards Judy ...

exch 5.5 help

1 email account, 2 mail address, 2 computers, Outlook 2000
Hi I have 1 email account, with is shared between me and my girlfreind, we each have our own email address, but all our mails go in to one joint inbox, using something called Email Alias, that our ISP use. The problem is that we get each others mails, and we would like to setup a rule so that the mails not intented for the person that recives them is automaticly deleted in his/her outlook and is left on the server so the other can get it when checking their mail. I have been looking for guides to do this for a while and have been able to find a few for Outlook 2002 and 2003, but none for th...

Support Email to Support Case
I've only earned about two days of experience with this program so far, so here goes my first request... I have the Pro Suite 1.2 version of CRM and I've successfully setup a Queue User so that all emails that come to Support@***.com are automatically entered into CRM. I would like to have CRM automatically create a CASE with this email, or at least have a CASE created when someone accepts or assigns the email. Is this possible? Is this something I'll need the Workflow Manager for? Thanks for your help in advance, Vito You need www.c360.com's Email to Case module. It&#...

Possible to set up a timer in Outlook?
I would like to have one of Outlook's reminders appear. Then, when I acknowlege it, I would like Outlook to, in effect, 'count down' until a certain period of time has elapsed, then pop up another reminder. In short, rather than a reminder that occurs at a specific time of day, I'd like a recurring reminder that only appears when a certain amount of time has elapsed after I manually acknowlege the last reminder. Is there an easy way to set up such a thing in Outlook? Thanks for any answers or suggestions. Schuh is my hero <no@mail> wrote: > I would like to ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Cannot Read Emails in Public Folders
We have Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 running in native mode. Client is Outlook 2003 There are two Public Folders that are e-mail enabled. I can send email to them and in Outlook I can see the list of mail items however when I (as administrator) go to open them I get the message Can't open this item. Unknown Error. The strange thing is yesterday, when I set up these folders and sent a test message to them - I could open them. Now today I cannot open any of the previous messages sent yesterday or new ones sent now. I can however delete the items! I can post to the folder but a...

email a worksheet
Is there a way to email, just one worksheet froma workbook, don't want to send entire workbook, right now have to do alot of copy/paste into an email with just content want. Excel 2007/Outlook 2007 on Vista enterprise HTH: http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder2/mail3.htm Micky "Nadine" wrote: > Is there a way to email, just one worksheet froma workbook, don't want to > send entire workbook, > right now have to do alot of copy/paste into an email with just content want. > > Excel 2007/Outlook 2007 on Vista enterprise ...

Envelope not shown for new email in Outlook 2003 SP3
One of my users has a problem where the envelope does not show in the task bar next to the clock when new mail arrives in Outlook 2003 SP3. The settings are properly set - show an envelope icon in the notification area, display a new mail mail desktop alert. It did work for the longest time, now does not. Does anyone know why the envelope will not show when he received new email - internal or internet mail, and if you know a way to resolve ? maybe re-install Outlook ? thanks, Bob ...

Outlook Express #280
I am not receiving emails for a few days now. How can I find them and solve the problem Karen <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am not receiving emails for a few days now. How can I > find them and solve the problem Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2