Help *** Outlook 2003 PST file corruption almost every time Outlook runs

I am really frustrated.

I have been checking my Outlook PST file recently regularly and have found
that almost EVERY time I open Outlook and close it again my PST file has
"Minor inconsistencies". I don't have to do anything in outlook, like check
emails, open emails or anything else - just Open app, close app => corrupt
PST! I fix it each time but next time ...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have WinXP SP2, Office 2003 Pro.

With Outlook I have NOD32 and AdMuncher running ( both of which at least
read incoming stuff) and also POPfile.

I have tried the following:

.... Fix the file using SCANPST - it then scans clean until next time Outlook
is run.
.... Run "Office Detect And Repair", Delete profile and create new profile.
Import mail from old PST file.
.... Reduce the size of PST file (currently 27Mb), repeat 2.
.... Change file format (Outlook 2003 can use 2003 format or XP/2002 format),
repeat 2
.... Disable AdMuncher/NOD32 OMON and EMON/Remove POPfile

Nothing I do makes any difference at all.

Has anyone got any ideas how to troubleshoot this? There are no error
messages unless I manually run SCANPST on my PST file. The log produced
during the fix process tells me nothing at all:

Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

**Beginning NDB recovery

  **Attempting to open database

  **Attempting to validate header

  **Attempting to validate AMap

  **Attempting to validate BBT

  **Attempting to validate NBT

  **Attempting to validate BBT refcounts

  **Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks

**Beginning PST/OST recovery

  **Attempting to recover all top-level objects

  **Attempting to walk all folders

  **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages

  **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency

  **Updating folder hierarchy

**Attempting to fix original file

  **Attempting to copy back BBT

  **Attempting to copy back NBT

There are absolutley no error message

Follow up ....  I just set up Outlook with a brand new empty PST file.

I set it as my default PST file (where emails are received) and after
downloading 2 emails only the new file has ERRORS (not even minor
inconsistencies).

I set my old file as an additional PST that opens with Outlook and there are
no issues when I open and look at emails etc..

It seems to be related to being the main PST file in the profile!

Strangely the fixing process actually makes the file BIGGER  !! A chunk is
added to the end of the file and just a few bites near the beginning are
changed.

Please any help would be much appreciated.

Carol Haynes

0
me7986 (249)

Have you anything that has a hook into the data file, eg a desktop search
app, sync software?
Disabling on line AV scanning or other scanning doesnt neccessarily remove
the 'hook' these apps have on Outlook, often its neccessary to completely
uninstall these apps, before reinstalling AV without the OL addin

I recently had a similar problem, which seemed connected to my desktop
search app, Copernic DTS.

"Carol Haynes" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I am really frustrated.
>
> I have been checking my Outlook PST file recently regularly and have found
> that almost EVERY time I open Outlook and close it again my PST file has
> "Minor inconsistencies". I don't have to do anything in outlook, like
> check emails, open emails or anything else - just Open app, close app =>
> corrupt PST! I fix it each time but next time ...
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> I have WinXP SP2, Office 2003 Pro.
>
> With Outlook I have NOD32 and AdMuncher running ( both of which at least
> read incoming stuff) and also POPfile.
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> ... Fix the file using SCANPST - it then scans clean until next time
> Outlook is run.
> ... Run "Office Detect And Repair", Delete profile and create new profile.
> Import mail from old PST file.
> ... Reduce the size of PST file (currently 27Mb), repeat 2.
> ... Change file format (Outlook 2003 can use 2003 format or XP/2002
> format), repeat 2
> ... Disable AdMuncher/NOD32 OMON and EMON/Remove POPfile
>
> Nothing I do makes any difference at all.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas how to troubleshoot this? There are no error
> messages unless I manually run SCANPST on my PST file. The log produced
> during the fix process tells me nothing at all:

> Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.
>
> **Beginning NDB recovery
>
>  **Attempting to open database
>
>  **Attempting to validate header
>
>  **Attempting to validate AMap
>
>  **Attempting to validate BBT
>
>  **Attempting to validate NBT
>
>  **Attempting to validate BBT refcounts
>
>  **Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks
>
> **Beginning PST/OST recovery
>
>  **Attempting to recover all top-level objects
>
>  **Attempting to walk all folders
>
>  **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages
>
>  **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
>
>  **Updating folder hierarchy
>
> **Attempting to fix original file
>
>  **Attempting to copy back BBT
>
>  **Attempting to copy back NBT
>

> There are absolutley no error message
>
> Follow up ....  I just set up Outlook with a brand new empty PST file.
>
> I set it as my default PST file (where emails are received) and after
> downloading 2 emails only the new file has ERRORS (not even minor
> inconsistencies).
>
> I set my old file as an additional PST that opens with Outlook and there
> are no issues when I open and look at emails etc..
>
> It seems to be related to being the main PST file in the profile!
>
> Strangely the fixing process actually makes the file BIGGER  !! A chunk is
> added to the end of the file and just a few bites near the beginning are
> changed.
>
> Please any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Carol Haynes

0
DL
10/24/2007 9:22:49 PM
I have recently been experimenting with various desktop searches (including
ExaLead, Copernic and Archivarius) but none of them worked well with extra
PST files (I have quite a number of archive files) so I have uninstalled
them all.

I don't think it can be POPfile (that just acts as a proxy server which
filters mail before it gets into Outlook) as it doesn't have any hooks. It
just uses local loop back as a server address.

AdMuncher doesn't hook into programmes as far as I know - it just looks at
incoming streams of information for all applications and filters out adverts
before they get to the destination application.

The only applications that have any 'hooks' that I can see are:

NOD32 virus scanner. I have been using this for years and never had any
problems with it in the past. There haven't been any recent application
updates. Again I suspect this is just watching the incoming data stream
rather than doing anything with the PST file or Outlook data in memory.

The only addin I currently have installed is Attachment Options - but again
I have had that installed for years without problem

There are a couple of extra buttons and toolbars - a quick link to Evernote
and a Snagit toolbar - but I really can't see what they would be doing to
Outlook data.

It is so frustrating because Outlook never reports any problems - if I
didn't know SCANPST existed I would know there was an issue at all! Given
that SCANPST gives no information about the problem how do you go about
troubledhootin an issue like this?

Cheers

Carol

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>>  **Updating folder hierarchy
>>
>> **Attempting to fix original file
>>
>>  **Attempting to copy back BBT
>>
>>  **Attempting to copy back NBT
>>

>> There are absolutley no error message
>>
>> Follow up ....  I just set up Outlook with a brand new empty PST file.
>>
>> I set it as my default PST file (where emails are received) and after
>> downloading 2 emails only the new file has ERRORS (not even minor
>> inconsistencies).
>>
>> I set my old file as an additional PST that opens with Outlook and there
>> are no issues when I open and look at emails etc..
>>
>> It seems to be related to being the main PST file in the profile!
>>
>> Strangely the fixing process actually makes the file BIGGER  !! A chunk
>> is added to the end of the file and just a few bites near the beginning
>> are changed.
>>
>> Please any help would be much appreciated.

0
me7986 (249)
10/25/2007 9:26:44 AM
I have some 8 pst's & Copernic DTS works fine on all of them.

> [...]
>>>
>>>  **Updating folder hierarchy
>>>
>>> **Attempting to fix original file
>>>
>>>  **Attempting to copy back BBT
>>>
>>>  **Attempting to copy back NBT
>>>

>>> There are absolutley no error message
>>>
>>> Follow up ....  I just set up Outlook with a brand new empty PST file.
>>>
>>> I set it as my default PST file (where emails are received) and after
>>> downloading 2 emails only the new file has ERRORS (not even minor
>>> inconsistencies).
>>>
>>> I set my old file as an additional PST that opens with Outlook and there
>>> are no issues when I open and look at emails etc..
>>>
>>> It seems to be related to being the main PST file in the profile!
>>>
>>> Strangely the fixing process actually makes the file BIGGER  !! A chunk
>>> is added to the end of the file and just a few bites near the beginning
>>> are changed.
>>>
>>> Please any help would be much appreciated.

0
DL
10/25/2007 1:31:15 PM
Not sure yet if it has totally solved the problem but removing Office 2003
SP3 seems to have sorted out the issue at the moment. I will keep monitoring
the situation and report back if it recurrs.

>I have some 8 pst's & Copernic DTS works fine on all of them.
>
> "Carol Haynes" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>I have recently been experimenting with various desktop searches
>>(including ExaLead, Copernic and Archivarius) but none of them worked well
>>with extra PST files (I have quite a number of archive files) so I have
>>uninstalled them all.
>>
>> I don't think it can be POPfile (that just acts as a proxy server which
>> filters mail before it gets into Outlook) as it doesn't have any hooks.
>> It just uses local loop back as a server address.
>>
>> AdMuncher doesn't hook into programmes as far as I know - it just looks
>> at incoming streams of information for all applications and filters out
>> adverts before they get to the destination application.
>>
>> The only applications that have any 'hooks' that I can see are:
>>
>> NOD32 virus scanner. I have been using this for years and never had any
>> problems with it in the past. There haven't been any recent application
>> updates. Again I suspect this is just watching the incoming data stream
>> rather than doing anything with the PST file or Outlook data in memory.
>>
>> The only addin I currently have installed is Attachment Options - but
>> again I have had that installed for years without problem
>>
>> There are a couple of extra buttons and toolbars - a quick link to
>> Evernote and a Snagit toolbar - but I really can't see what they would be
>> doing to Outlook data.
>>
>> It is so frustrating because Outlook never reports any problems - if I
>> didn't know SCANPST existed I would know there was an issue at all! Given
>> that SCANPST gives no information about the problem how do you go about
>> troubledhootin an issue like this?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Carol
>>

>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>>> Have you anything that has a hook into the data file, eg a desktop
>>> search app, sync software?
>>> Disabling on line AV scanning or other scanning doesnt neccessarily
>>> remove the 'hook' these apps have on Outlook, often its neccessary to
>>> completely uninstall these apps, before reinstalling AV without the OL
>>> addin
>>>
>>> I recently had a similar problem, which seemed connected to my desktop
>>> search app, Copernic DTS.
>>>
>>> "Carol Haynes" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

0
me7986 (249)
10/25/2007 3:26:21 PM
Carol Haynes <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I have been checking my Outlook PST file recently regularly and have
> found that almost EVERY time I open Outlook and close it again my PST
> file has "Minor inconsistencies". I don't have to do anything in
> outlook, like check emails, open emails or anything else - just Open
> app, close app => corrupt PST! I fix it each time but next time ...

In what way do you believe the PST is corrupted?  What error messages do you
receive that indicate that to you?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> Carol Haynes <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I have been checking my Outlook PST file recently regularly and have
>> found that almost EVERY time I open Outlook and close it again my PST
>> file has "Minor inconsistencies". I don't have to do anything in
>> outlook, like check emails, open emails or anything else - just Open
>> app, close app => corrupt PST! I fix it each time but next time ...
>
> In what way do you believe the PST is corrupted?  What error messages do
> you receive that indicate that to you?

Hi Brian,

I received no error messages at all in Outlook.

I have been experimenting with using different user profiles (containing
common PST files) and with different desktop search engines. In the past I
had some PST corruption issues doing this with X1 (and eventually gave up
using X1). When I do this sort of experimenting I backup my PST files and
also use ScanPST to check the integrity of my PST files regularly. Recently
I found that it reported 'minor inconsistencies' almost every time (probably
95%+) I opened Outlook (even if I did nothing in Outlook that should change
the PST file - just open the app and click close). Sometimes it reported
actual errors (2-3% of the time). If errors or inconsistencies were noted I
allowed the repair to go ahead and then ran ScanPST to check it worked - it
always then reported a clean PST file. The logs produced after errors gave
no useful information (I quote one in full in my original post and that was
typical).

I had a fairly large PST file so I archived off a load of stuff and reduced
the size to about 26Mb - the reported inconsistencies/errors continued at
the same rate.

I compared the PST file backup produced by ScanPST with the corrected
version using "Beyond Compare" which lists file differences byte by byte for
the file. Interestingly the repaird file had stuff added at the end (usually
~200Kb of info) and a handful of single byte changes to the original data.
The repaired files were always bigger. I tried this using the 2003 and
2000/2 format files supported by Outlook 2003 and found similar correction
changes occuring in both formats.

Someone on another forum asked if I had updated with SP3 for Office 2003 as
that has been causing issues for some users. I had run the service pack
updater.

I have now reverted to Ofiice 2003 (by uninstalling Office 2003 altogether
and then reinstalling from the original DVD). I then applied all updates
(SP2 etc) short of the SP3 update.

So far over the last couple of days I have downloaded hundreds (probably
thousands) of new emails, deleted a lot of rendundant info, compacted my PST
file repeatedly. I have written rules to reoganise emails fairly extensively
within the folder tree etc. I have reinstalled the addons/extras I was using
before I started to try to troubleshoot the problems - which includes a
multiple PST file indexer.

Since removing SP3 I have been unable to force an error or inconsistency no
matter how much 'stress' I apply within Outlook. ScanPST simply reports no
errors every time.

The problem seems to be another issue with the SP3 release and I have set
all the computers I work with to ignore the SP3 download from automatic
update until the issues are resolved.

The other MAJOR problem, that seems to creep from version to version of
Outlook, is that there is no built in integrity check within Outlook. Surely
Outlook should check your data file is consistent and safe to use when it
starts up each time? Why is it that the only way to discover these problems
is to run an obscure and hidden utility on a file that is by default hidden
from users eye? It really is madness to trust your data to PST files without
the knowledge that they could be getting progressively damaged over mobths
of use only to fail to load one day, and fail to repair fully when needed.

Cheers

Carol

0
me7986 (249)
10/26/2007 2:42:34 PM
Carol Haynes <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I received no error messages at all in Outlook.

Then what makes you think there's any "corruption"?

> I have been experimenting with using different user profiles
> (containing common PST files) and with different desktop search
> engines. In the past I had some PST corruption issues doing this with
> X1 (and eventually gave up using X1). When I do this sort of
> experimenting I backup my PST files and also use ScanPST to check the
> integrity of my PST files regularly. Recently I found that it
> reported 'minor inconsistencies' almost every time (probably 95%+) I
> opened Outlook (even if I did nothing in Outlook that should change
> the PST file - just open the app and click close).

And exactly what are these "inconsistencies"?

> Sometimes it reported actual errors (2-3% of the time).

You said above that Outlook displays no errors.  Does this statement refer
to scanpst.exe?

> I had a fairly large PST file so I archived off a load of stuff and
> reduced the size to about 26Mb - the reported inconsistencies/errors
> continued at the same rate.

What reports these anomalies and what is the exact text of the report?

> I compared the PST file backup produced by ScanPST with the corrected
> version using "Beyond Compare" which lists file differences byte by
> byte for the file. Interestingly the repaird file had stuff added at
> the end (usually ~200Kb of info) and a handful of single byte changes
> to the original data. The repaired files were always bigger. I tried
> this using the 2003 and 2000/2 format files supported by Outlook 2003
> and found similar correction changes occuring in both formats.

I'm unconvinced that the changes "Beyond Compare" reports are of any
significance.

> Since removing SP3 I have been unable to force an error or
> inconsistency no matter how much 'stress' I apply within Outlook.
> ScanPST simply reports no errors every time.
>
> The problem seems to be another issue with the SP3 release and I have
> set all the computers I work with to ignore the SP3 download from
> automatic update until the issues are resolved.

There have been some issues reported with SP3.

> The other MAJOR problem, that seems to creep from version to version
> of Outlook, is that there is no built in integrity check within
> Outlook. Surely Outlook should check your data file is consistent and
> safe to use when it starts up each time?

Only if it wasn't closed properly will Outlook perform an integrity check
when it starts.

> Why is it that the only way
> to discover these problems is to run an obscure and hidden utility on
> a file that is by default hidden from users eye?

It's not an obscure and hidden utility.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> Carol Haynes <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I received no error messages at all in Outlook.
>
> Then what makes you think there's any "corruption"?

Because as I said I ran SCANPST

>> I have been experimenting with using different user profiles
>> (containing common PST files) and with different desktop search
>> engines. In the past I had some PST corruption issues doing this with
>> X1 (and eventually gave up using X1). When I do this sort of
>> experimenting I backup my PST files and also use ScanPST to check the
>> integrity of my PST files regularly. Recently I found that it
>> reported 'minor inconsistencies' almost every time (probably 95%+) I
>> opened Outlook (even if I did nothing in Outlook that should change
>> the PST file - just open the app and click close).
>
> And exactly what are these "inconsistencies"?

That's the point. SCANPST reports that the PST file is inconstsitent or has
errors - it never tells you what they are in the log produced during the
repair process, and it doesn't tell you what it did to the PST file in order
to repair it.

Given that SCANPST often just drops damaged bits of PST files I find this
behaviour unnerving at best. It certainly doesn't feel like a professional
approach to data integrity in an industry standard mail client.

>> Sometimes it reported actual errors (2-3% of the time).
>
> You said above that Outlook displays no errors.  Does this statement refer
> to scanpst.exe?

SCANPST - sorry I thought I made that clear.

Outlook never seems to flag errors except when it shuts down in a non
standard way - and even then it doesn't seem to examine the PST file for
problems it just turns off any addins. I can understand why it does this but
it also seems a bit arrogant of MS to assume that any problem with Outlook
can only be caused by third party addins!

>> I had a fairly large PST file so I archived off a load of stuff and
>> reduced the size to about 26Mb - the reported inconsistencies/errors
>> continued at the same rate.
>
> What reports these anomalies and what is the exact text of the report?

As above they are reported by SCANPST - but with no details.

>> I compared the PST file backup produced by ScanPST with the corrected
>> version using "Beyond Compare" which lists file differences byte by
>> byte for the file. Interestingly the repaird file had stuff added at
>> the end (usually ~200Kb of info) and a handful of single byte changes
>> to the original data. The repaired files were always bigger. I tried
>> this using the 2003 and 2000/2 format files supported by Outlook 2003
>> and found similar correction changes occuring in both formats.
>
> I'm unconvinced that the changes "Beyond Compare" reports are of any
> significance.

It may not be significant but if SCANPST suggests that there is about 200Kb
of information missing from inconsistent PST files something odd is
happening.

>> Since removing SP3 I have been unable to force an error or
>> inconsistency no matter how much 'stress' I apply within Outlook.
>> ScanPST simply reports no errors every time.
>>
>> The problem seems to be another issue with the SP3 release and I have
>> set all the computers I work with to ignore the SP3 download from
>> automatic update until the issues are resolved.
>
> There have been some issues reported with SP3.

Is this a new issue with SP3? I have seen other issues mentioned but not
this one.

Still owrking with Outlook and SCANPST has not reported any issues at all
since removed SP3.  Currently I am workingh with 9 separate PST files which
load in my main profile - and since removing SP3 every one of those files
has scanned with SCANPST and shown no inconsistencies or errors.

>> The other MAJOR problem, that seems to creep from version to version
>> of Outlook, is that there is no built in integrity check within
>> Outlook. Surely Outlook should check your data file is consistent and
>> safe to use when it starts up each time?
>
> Only if it wasn't closed properly will Outlook perform an integrity check
> when it starts.

As I said above it doesn't appear to check the PST files in your profile -
it just shuts down third party addins.

>> Why is it that the only way
>> to discover these problems is to run an obscure and hidden utility on
>> a file that is by default hidden from users eye?
>
> It's not an obscure and hidden utility.

I have to disagree - a standard installation of Windows and Outlook hides
the PST file so a user has to do some research to do just to find their
data. SCANPST, to the best of my knowledge,  is only referred to as the
"Inbox Repair Tool" in all the documentation prior to Office 2003 - and
isn't accessible without burrowing down into hidden folders. The first time
I used SCANPST was back in Office 2000 and I had to do a websearch to find
out where the "Inbox Repair Tool" was located.

I have worked with computers for over 20 years in education and in a
technical support role so this isn't a problem for me. However even though I
see that in Outlook 2003 they finaly mention the file is called SCANPST.EXE
but you have to go online to get that information and then for a lot of
average or non-technical users the description is less than clear:

Quote: Scanpst.exe is installed when you install Microsoft Outlook and is
located at: drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\LocaleID
folder - where LocaleID is the locale identifier (LCID) for the installation
of Microsoft Office. The LCID for English - United States is 1033.

If it isn't a silly question why isn't there a simple link installed in the
START > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Ofiice Tools menu ? Similarly for
ScanOST ?

Back to the subject at hand - if this is a new issue with Office 2003 SP3 is
there anywhere I should be reporting the issue to get a revised, fixed SP3
out there to save headaches for other users ?

Cheers

Carol Haynes

0
me7986 (249)
10/27/2007 12:47:44 PM
I have the same behaviour. XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP3.
If I run scanpst.exe on my single .pst file it usually reports "minor
inconsistencies."
I elect to fix them and get an OK from scanpst.exe but usually running
scanpst.exe again on starting the system again later in the day will produce
the same error message.
I usually run scanpst.exe about once a week as I have found that .pst files
with "errors" reported by scanpst.exe could slow Outlook and increase it's
CPU useage while being unreported by Outlook itself.

At a blind guess I would expect it to be a problem between the suspiciously
well-hidden scanpst utility and SP3.

Or, perhaps, due to a recent update (guessing again) to the action of AVG's
mail scanner?

Pat wrote:
> I have the same behaviour. XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP3.
> If I run scanpst.exe on my single .pst file it usually reports "minor
> inconsistencies."
> I elect to fix them and get an OK from scanpst.exe but usually running
> scanpst.exe again on starting the system again later in the day will produce
> the same error message.
> I usually run scanpst.exe about once a week as I have found that .pst files
> with "errors" reported by scanpst.exe could slow Outlook and increase it's
> CPU useage while being unreported by Outlook itself.
>
> At a blind guess I would expect it to be a problem between the suspiciously
> well-hidden scanpst utility and SP3.
>
> Or, perhaps, due to a recent update (guessing again) to the action of AVG's
> mail scanner?

Probably not AVG since I don't use it.

I am still having no problems with my PST files EXCEPT when I use NEO
organiser (an addin which indexes and allows me to organise my emails in
a variety of ways from within Outlook).

I am beginning to wonder if there is an issue between the MAPI interface
and third party utilities. As I understand it desktop searches such as
X1 and utilities like Neo only read the email information via the MS
MAPI interface - they don't alter mail. However, I have found consistent
issues with various desktop search applications and Neo with PST files.
As soon as I remove MAPI dependent utilities/apps I get no PST corruption ??
0
me7986 (249)
10/31/2007 2:40:25 PM
Follow up ...

I contacted the Neo Pro developers and they suggested I run FIXMAPI.EXE

This is something I have not heard of before but it seems to have cured
problems with Neo and PST corruption.

Just thought it may be something useful for others to try if they regularly
get inconsistent PST files or errors occuring.

Carol

0
me7986 (249)
11/1/2007 12:54:02 AM
Hi,

scanpst is rather limited in its capabilities. You can try the
powerful outlook data recovery tool Advanced Outlook Repair at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/index.htm, which is much more better than
it.

Have a good day!

Alan

0
group9765 (10)
11/11/2007 2:51:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but at $250 it is too much for my pocket.

0
me7986 (249)

Automatically viewing picture attachments in Outlook 2002
I tried to search in this newsgroup but couldn't find the answer. Is there any way that outlook can automatically view picture attachments like in outlook express. Thanks. No. Outlook doesn't support inline image viewing. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "...

sumifs help

Help !

Outlook crashes when typing recipient
Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins installed. Thanks. It would be helpful if you provided at least some basic information such as: 1. Outlook version 2. Mail account type 3. Information store 4. The steps used to break Outlook. I suspect this didn't just start happening on its own for no reason. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1159655665.219713.8280@e3g2000cwe.google...

Help with this thing

Outlook Express #222
Can I sent-up to send an Automatic Reply to my incoming mail while I am out of the office from Outlook Express? Do I need additional software in order to do this? ...

OWA 2003
how can i configure my OWA to show the reply or forward option in public folders. all i have is "POST Reply". Can i actually reply to the sender of the email message itself? Also, is it possible to configure front-end and the backend in one box? please help TIA On 10 Sep 2004 20:45:36 -0700, google@joriz.is-a-geek.net (Joriz) wrote: >how can i configure my OWA to show the reply or forward option in >public folders. all i have is "POST Reply". Can i actually reply to >the sender of the email message itself? Yes, but the client must be using a front end ser...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Auto Archive problem
Hi All, We use Outlook 2003 Sp3. One of my users has this problem with the Auto Archive feature: certain folders of his mailbox don't get archived. The emails stay in these folders and others folders emails get moved to the PST file according to the Auto Archive settings. Even if I try to archive manually some of the forlers that don't work, nothing gets archived. What can I do with this? Regards, Are you aware that the Date used to archive is the Date Last Modified? This may be causing what you think is unsual behaviour. When were the items last modified? Regards Judy ...

exch 5.5 help

1 email account, 2 mail address, 2 computers, Outlook 2000
Hi I have 1 email account, with is shared between me and my girlfreind, we each have our own email address, but all our mails go in to one joint inbox, using something called Email Alias, that our ISP use. The problem is that we get each others mails, and we would like to setup a rule so that the mails not intented for the person that recives them is automaticly deleted in his/her outlook and is left on the server so the other can get it when checking their mail. I have been looking for guides to do this for a while and have been able to find a few for Outlook 2002 and 2003, but none for th...

Possible to set up a timer in Outlook?
I would like to have one of Outlook's reminders appear. Then, when I acknowlege it, I would like Outlook to, in effect, 'count down' until a certain period of time has elapsed, then pop up another reminder. In short, rather than a reminder that occurs at a specific time of day, I'd like a recurring reminder that only appears when a certain amount of time has elapsed after I manually acknowlege the last reminder. Is there an easy way to set up such a thing in Outlook? Thanks for any answers or suggestions. Schuh is my hero <no@mail> wrote: > I would like to ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Publisher (PUB) file viewer?
How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having the actual software? You don't. You can't. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Steezy20" <Steezy20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75144304-0B4C-4EED-B4F7-614D6085FD65@microsoft.com... > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having > the > actual software? Steezy20 wrote: > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without > having the actual software? Look, you l...

Envelope not shown for new email in Outlook 2003 SP3
One of my users has a problem where the envelope does not show in the task bar next to the clock when new mail arrives in Outlook 2003 SP3. The settings are properly set - show an envelope icon in the notification area, display a new mail mail desktop alert. It did work for the longest time, now does not. Does anyone know why the envelope will not show when he received new email - internal or internet mail, and if you know a way to resolve ? maybe re-install Outlook ? thanks, Bob ...

Outlook Express #280
I am not receiving emails for a few days now. How can I find them and solve the problem Karen <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am not receiving emails for a few days now. How can I > find them and solve the problem Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

outlook is too slowly
HI ,all Is there someone can help me, My outlook is too slowly and it cost too many memory. I'm using outlook 2003 and CRM3 client. They are all install nearly so not many emails. when I open the outlook 2003,I can see that outlook cost 180M and CRM3 client cost 150M memory. My god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Looking for control to browse files
Hi, I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I amworking with) I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such. I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item. I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good. What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file, something like a simple Open dialog Can someone point me to the right documentation, please ...

Opening a file with a Macro
To open files with a macro, I am currently using: Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\file_path.xls" How can I use a variable as part of the file path? In other words, before I try to open the file in my VBA code I will set a variable (let's call it date_extension). Then I want to open a file that I know will exist with a file path whose final characters before the .xls will be the date_extension. How can I get the file path to be recognized with the variable? Thanks for your help (P.S. I am a total novice, so I may not be familiar with commands or procedures that are fair...