Help: New Virus Affecting Outlook 2007

Hi all -

I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.

Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.

Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
years.

This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
folks at MS who might be reading this.

From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.

I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.

Okay, here is what is going on:

When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
the trigger.

In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
(usually around 50).

However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
box in the application.

These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.

My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.

These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.

There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
(msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
and this is not solve the problem.

This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.

People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
windows mail, it's fine.

I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
again.

Suggestions?
0
10/23/2008 2:44:37 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

17 Replies
873 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

>Suggestions?

Have you gone to Symantec (Norton AntiVirus) to see if they
have any word on this?

And, if they don't, you might want to send them all of the
information below so they may open an investigation

It seems to me that asking a bunch of random users who are
at this site is not going to be as productive as asking the
people who are in the business of Anti-Virus work

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:44:37 -0700 (PDT), "Mark S. Milley"
<mark.milley@binaryswitch.com> wrote:

>Hi all -
>
>I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
>
>Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
>Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
>recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
>
>Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
>full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
>what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
>as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
>lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
>problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
>have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
>years.
>
>This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
>folks at MS who might be reading this.
>
>From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
>there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
>
>I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
>OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
>Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
>
>Okay, here is what is going on:
>
>When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
>Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
>the trigger.
>
>In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
>(usually around 50).
>
>However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
>box in the application.
>
>These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
>using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
>
>My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
>account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
>not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
>emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
>that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
>
>These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
>book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
>
>There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
>(msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
>are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
>Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
>and this is not solve the problem.
>
>This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
>received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
>
>People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
>infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
>don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
>happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
>windows mail, it's fine.
>
>I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
>again.
>
>Suggestions?

0
John
10/23/2008 4:17:43 PM
What is the content of the sent mails you see in the gmail sent folder?


-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Mark S. Milley" <mark.milley@binaryswitch.com> wrote in message 
news:d080beb7-f27d-45b6-926d-c4e2b0cdea86@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all -
>
> I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
>
> Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
> Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
> recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
>
> Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
> full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
> what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
> as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
> lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
> problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
> have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
> years.
>
> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
> folks at MS who might be reading this.
>
> From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
> there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
>
> I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
> OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
> Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
>
> Okay, here is what is going on:
>
> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> the trigger.
>
> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> (usually around 50).
>
> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
> box in the application.
>
> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
>
> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
>
> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
>
> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
> and this is not solve the problem.
>
> This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
> received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
>
> People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
> infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
> don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
> happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
> windows mail, it's fine.
>
> I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
> again.
>
> Suggestions? 

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/23/2008 4:48:22 PM
Also - when you say it doesn't happen in windows mail, is windows mail set 
as your default mail client? If it is a virus, it may be associating with 
the default client.


-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Mark S. Milley" <mark.milley@binaryswitch.com> wrote in message 
news:d080beb7-f27d-45b6-926d-c4e2b0cdea86@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all -
>
> I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
>
> Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
> Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
> recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
>
> Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
> full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
> what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
> as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
> lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
> problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
> have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
> years.
>
> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
> folks at MS who might be reading this.
>
> From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
> there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
>
> I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
> OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
> Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
>
> Okay, here is what is going on:
>
> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> the trigger.
>
> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> (usually around 50).
>
> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
> box in the application.
>
> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
>
> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
>
> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
>
> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
> and this is not solve the problem.
>
> This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
> received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
>
> People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
> infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
> don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
> happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
> windows mail, it's fine.
>
> I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
> again.
>
> Suggestions? 

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/23/2008 4:52:08 PM
Mark.=20

LOL. Known issue. Classic Anti Virus scanning incoming and outgoing =
emails

 Disable the email scanning option on your Anti Virus. Some AV's it is =
not enough to disable the scanning you need to do the following

If using Norton,MacAfee or Trend then uninstall the AV program and then =
re-install it without the email integration(scanning)

You should now see the improvement. Let us know



--=20
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Mark S. Milley" <mark.milley@binaryswitch.com> wrote in message =
news:d080beb7-f27d-45b6-926d-c4e2b0cdea86@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...=

> Hi all -
>=20
> I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
>=20
> Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
> Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
> recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
>=20
> Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
> full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
> what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
> as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
> lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
> problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
> have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
> years.
>=20
> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
> folks at MS who might be reading this.
>=20
> From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
> there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
>=20
> I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
> OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
> Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
>=20
> Okay, here is what is going on:
>=20
> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> the trigger.
>=20
> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> (usually around 50).
>=20
> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
> box in the application.
>=20
> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
>=20
> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
>=20
> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
>=20
> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
> and this is not solve the problem.
>=20
> This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
> received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
>=20
> People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
> infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
> don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
> happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
> windows mail, it's fine.
>=20
> I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
> again.
>=20
> Suggestions?
0
okf221 (388)
10/23/2008 5:59:11 PM
"Mark S. Milley" <mark.milley@binaryswitch.com> wrote in message 
news:d080beb7-f27d-45b6-926d-c4e2b0cdea86@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
> folks at MS who might be reading this.

Microsoft people generally don't read these newsgroups.  You should open a 
support incident if you have a security concern.

> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> the trigger.
>
> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> (usually around 50).
>
> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
> box in the application.
>
> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
>
> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
>
> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
>
> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
> and this is not solve the problem.

Several people have reported a problem with Outlook 2007 with "not read" 
receipts being sent even when the sending of receipts is disabled.  Recipts 
don't appear in the Outbox.  Microsoft has received notification of this. 
Any chance this might be what you're seeing?
-- 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 

0
tillman1952 (16053)
10/23/2008 6:06:49 PM
> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> the trigger.
> 
> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> (usually around 50).
> 


I'd love to see a network packet trace of this happening.  Feel free to email 
one along.  You'll probably want to change your passwords before and after 
the trace.

-- 
f.h.


0
f.h.muffman (751)
10/23/2008 8:20:23 PM
The imap/read receipt issue is explained here:
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2008/up081023.htm#4


-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:#CzzfoTNJHA.4172@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "Mark S. Milley" <mark.milley@binaryswitch.com> wrote in message 
> news:d080beb7-f27d-45b6-926d-c4e2b0cdea86@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>
>> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
>> folks at MS who might be reading this.
>
> Microsoft people generally don't read these newsgroups.  You should open a 
> support incident if you have a security concern.
>
>> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
>> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
>> the trigger.
>>
>> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
>> (usually around 50).
>>
>> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
>> box in the application.
>>
>> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
>> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
>>
>> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
>> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
>> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
>> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
>> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
>>
>> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
>> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
>>
>> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
>> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
>> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
>> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
>> and this is not solve the problem.
>
> Several people have reported a problem with Outlook 2007 with "not read" 
> receipts being sent even when the sending of receipts is disabled. 
> Recipts don't appear in the Outbox.  Microsoft has received notification 
> of this. Any chance this might be what you're seeing?
> -- 
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/23/2008 9:42:51 PM
I too am experiencing the same with outlook.  I have ran numerous virus 
scans, symantec included, and none have detected anything.  The recipient of 
my email also receives the same amount indicated in the sending status bar 
(it varies) .  Please let me know if you find anything to clear it up.

Thanks,

JJohnson


"Mark S. Milley" wrote:

> Hi all -
> 
> I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
> 
> Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
> Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
> recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
> 
> Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
> full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
> what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
> as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
> lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
> problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
> have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
> years.
> 
> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
> folks at MS who might be reading this.
> 
> From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
> there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
> 
> I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
> OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
> Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
> 
> Okay, here is what is going on:
> 
> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> the trigger.
> 
> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> (usually around 50).
> 
> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
> box in the application.
> 
> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
> 
> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
> 
> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
> 
> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
> and this is not solve the problem.
> 
> This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
> received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
> 
> People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
> infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
> don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
> happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
> windows mail, it's fine.
> 
> I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
> again.
> 
> Suggestions?
> 
0
jjohnson (5)
10/23/2008 10:44:01 PM
Is your recipient getting duplicates of the messages you send or getting 
spam from you?

-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"JJOHNSON" <JJOHNSON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:2A1045BB-396C-4A3F-9E9E-671007F03D00@microsoft.com...
> I too am experiencing the same with outlook.  I have ran numerous virus
> scans, symantec included, and none have detected anything.  The recipient 
> of
> my email also receives the same amount indicated in the sending status bar
> (it varies) .  Please let me know if you find anything to clear it up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JJohnson
>
>
> "Mark S. Milley" wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
>>
>> Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
>> Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
>> recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
>>
>> Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
>> full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
>> what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
>> as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
>> lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
>> problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
>> have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
>> years.
>>
>> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
>> folks at MS who might be reading this.
>>
>> From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
>> there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
>>
>> I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
>> OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
>> Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
>>
>> Okay, here is what is going on:
>>
>> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
>> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
>> the trigger.
>>
>> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
>> (usually around 50).
>>
>> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
>> box in the application.
>>
>> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
>> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
>>
>> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
>> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
>> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
>> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
>> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
>>
>> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
>> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
>>
>> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
>> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
>> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
>> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
>> and this is not solve the problem.
>>
>> This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
>> received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
>>
>> People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
>> infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
>> don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
>> happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
>> windows mail, it's fine.
>>
>> I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
>> again.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/24/2008 4:34:25 AM
Same thing happening to me.

Vista 64 (ultimate), outlook 2007, gmail with IMAP.
when I logged into Gmail, had several undeliverable emails. I did not 
recognize any of the addresses. The emails had headings like 'make all the 
girls in the neighborhood long for you.' Email bodies were mostly blank, some 
had that all caps code in it. Some emails had  Winmail.dat attached. Headers 
showed it to come from my desktop computer at my home IP.

Emails also showed in the gmail 'sent' folder, but not in my outlook folder 
or anywhere else I looked (mobile windows 6, macbook laptop).

Adaware, malware remover (uh don't think that's the correct name), and avast 
antivirus found nothing. 

I'm also switching to windows livemail, but would like to figure out what's 
up.

"Mark S. Milley" wrote:

> Hi all -
> 
> I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
> 
> Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
> Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
> recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
> 
> Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
> full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
> what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
> as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
> lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
> problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
> have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
> years.
> 
> This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
> folks at MS who might be reading this.
> 
> From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
> there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
> 
> I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
> OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
> Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
> 
> Okay, here is what is going on:
> 
> When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> the trigger.
> 
> In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> (usually around 50).
> 
> However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
> box in the application.
> 
> These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
> using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
> 
> My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
> account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
> not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
> emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
> that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
> 
> These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
> book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
> 
> There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
> (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
> are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
> Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
> and this is not solve the problem.
> 
> This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
> received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
> 
> People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
> infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
> don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
> happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
> windows mail, it's fine.
> 
> I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
> again.
> 
> Suggestions?
> 
0
duggieG (3)
10/24/2008 4:36:00 AM
BTW, Exactly as reported here: 
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t173074.html
"duggieG" wrote:

> Same thing happening to me.
> 
> Vista 64 (ultimate), outlook 2007, gmail with IMAP.
> when I logged into Gmail, had several undeliverable emails. I did not 
> recognize any of the addresses. The emails had headings like 'make all the 
> girls in the neighborhood long for you.' Email bodies were mostly blank, some 
> had that all caps code in it. Some emails had  Winmail.dat attached. Headers 
> showed it to come from my desktop computer at my home IP.
> 
> Emails also showed in the gmail 'sent' folder, but not in my outlook folder 
> or anywhere else I looked (mobile windows 6, macbook laptop).
> 
> Adaware, malware remover (uh don't think that's the correct name), and avast 
> antivirus found nothing. 
> 
> I'm also switching to windows livemail, but would like to figure out what's 
> up.
> 
> "Mark S. Milley" wrote:
> 
> > Hi all -
> > 
> > I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have contracted a virus.
> > 
> > Let me start this email by saying that I am a Microsoft Certified
> > Solutions Developer; I know my way around a machine. I've also
> > recovered from quite a few viruses in my life. This one is different.
> > 
> > Secondly, please don't answer with the obvious, and please read the
> > full email. Try to clear your mind of all known viruses and accept
> > what I'm telling you is true. I'm asking you to please do that because
> > as I've searched the web for a solution to this problem, I've seen a
> > lot of would-be geek heroes abusing the people who are reporting the
> > problem and coming up with off the cuff half-baked answers that would
> > have helped if it was some other virus that came out in the last five
> > years.
> > 
> > This is something NEW. Seriously, I think it's Red-alert time for you
> > folks at MS who might be reading this.
> > 
> > From what I can tell in my research, this virus started THIS YEAR, and
> > there are more reports of it in the wild in the past two months.
> > 
> > I'm running on a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007.
> > OneCare is always running, as is Windows Firewall. I host my domain at
> > Google, which gives me an advantage in diagnosing this problem.
> > 
> > Okay, here is what is going on:
> > 
> > When I issue a send/receive command from outlook (and only then),
> > Outlook 2007 sends virus emails via though my email account. This IS
> > the trigger.
> > 
> > In the status bar, Outlook reports the number of emails it's sending
> > (usually around 50).
> > 
> > However, these emails do NOT show up in the outbox or the sent items
> > box in the application.
> > 
> > These emails DO show up in the sent box of the account itself (i'm
> > using IMAP) when I look at it via the web client.
> > 
> > My account was not "hacked"; these are not being sent from a seperate
> > account. These are being sent via Outlook 2007. I know that these are
> > not coming from a remote location due to the exact timing of when the
> > emails get sent corresponding when I hit send/receive, and the fact
> > that my computer's name appears in the header of the emails.
> > 
> > These emails are NOT being sent to addresses in my outlook address
> > book; they seem to be coming out of some other database.
> > 
> > There are no unusual programs set to start up when windows starts
> > (msconfig). There are no odd macros or code inside of outlook. There
> > are no unusual add-ons active inside of outlook. OneCare's scans and
> > Malwarebytes have found nothing. I have shut off "receipt responses"
> > and this is not solve the problem.
> > 
> > This problem began this morning; I have not installed any programs or
> > received any virus warnings from onecare in the past week.
> > 
> > People have suggested that the problem may be a botnet or rootkit
> > infection, but have not provided answers on how to fix the problem. I
> > don't think this is the problem however, because, again, this is
> > happening exactly when I send an email through Outlook 2007. If I use
> > windows mail, it's fine.
> > 
> > I'm on the virge of just uninstalling Outlook 2007 and never using it
> > again.
> > 
> > Suggestions?
> > 
0
duggieG (3)
10/24/2008 9:25:01 AM
"duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:A8C7AC7F-DFD7-4D0E-A480-9BD24A79FC57@microsoft.com...

> Same thing happening to me.
>
> Vista 64 (ultimate), outlook 2007, gmail with IMAP.
> when I logged into Gmail, had several undeliverable emails. I did not
> recognize any of the addresses. The emails had headings like 'make all the
> girls in the neighborhood long for you.' Email bodies were mostly blank, 
> some
> had that all caps code in it. Some emails had  Winmail.dat attached. 
> Headers
> showed it to come from my desktop computer at my home IP.
>
> Emails also showed in the gmail 'sent' folder, but not in my outlook 
> folder
> or anywhere else I looked (mobile windows 6, macbook laptop).

This sounds more like your mail address has been hijacked or your gmail 
account compromised than it does a problem with Outlook.  The first thing 
I'd do is to change my gmail password to something reasonable complex, 
including non-alphanumeric characters as well as upper and lower case.
-- 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 

0
tillman1952 (16053)
10/24/2008 11:30:24 AM
Thanks for your input Brian. Please see the first message in this thread to 
verify that some of us have some idea what we're talking about, and that 
something else is occurring here.


By the way, I unplugged my ethernet connection and opened outlook - it 
immediately tried to send from all my accounts. I deleted the passwords and 
left them blank, closed and opened outlook and looked at the status - outlook 
reported sending successfully from each account (not possible with unplugged 
cable, obviously). I turned off the send/receive on starting option, closed 
and opened outlook, same thing, reported successfully sending email from all 
accounts.

Others are also having this problem as you can see from the link I posted 
above.

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:A8C7AC7F-DFD7-4D0E-A480-9BD24A79FC57@microsoft.com...
> 
> > Same thing happening to me.
> >
> > Vista 64 (ultimate), outlook 2007, gmail with IMAP.
> > when I logged into Gmail, had several undeliverable emails. I did not
> > recognize any of the addresses. The emails had headings like 'make all the
> > girls in the neighborhood long for you.' Email bodies were mostly blank, 
> > some
> > had that all caps code in it. Some emails had  Winmail.dat attached. 
> > Headers
> > showed it to come from my desktop computer at my home IP.
> >
> > Emails also showed in the gmail 'sent' folder, but not in my outlook 
> > folder
> > or anywhere else I looked (mobile windows 6, macbook laptop).
> 
> This sounds more like your mail address has been hijacked or your gmail 
> account compromised than it does a problem with Outlook.  The first thing 
> I'd do is to change my gmail password to something reasonable complex, 
> including non-alphanumeric characters as well as upper and lower case.
> -- 
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 
> 
> 
0
duggieG (3)
10/24/2008 2:16:01 PM
Did you run a packet trace as FH suggested?

-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:70519C01-D016-4A17-AC07-62E7AE219E82@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your input Brian. Please see the first message in this thread 
> to
> verify that some of us have some idea what we're talking about, and that
> something else is occurring here.
>
>
> By the way, I unplugged my ethernet connection and opened outlook - it
> immediately tried to send from all my accounts. I deleted the passwords 
> and
> left them blank, closed and opened outlook and looked at the status - 
> outlook
> reported sending successfully from each account (not possible with 
> unplugged
> cable, obviously). I turned off the send/receive on starting option, 
> closed
> and opened outlook, same thing, reported successfully sending email from 
> all
> accounts.
>
> Others are also having this problem as you can see from the link I posted
> above.
>
> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> "duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A8C7AC7F-DFD7-4D0E-A480-9BD24A79FC57@microsoft.com...
>>
>> > Same thing happening to me.
>> >
>> > Vista 64 (ultimate), outlook 2007, gmail with IMAP.
>> > when I logged into Gmail, had several undeliverable emails. I did not
>> > recognize any of the addresses. The emails had headings like 'make all 
>> > the
>> > girls in the neighborhood long for you.' Email bodies were mostly 
>> > blank,
>> > some
>> > had that all caps code in it. Some emails had  Winmail.dat attached.
>> > Headers
>> > showed it to come from my desktop computer at my home IP.
>> >
>> > Emails also showed in the gmail 'sent' folder, but not in my outlook
>> > folder
>> > or anywhere else I looked (mobile windows 6, macbook laptop).
>>
>> This sounds more like your mail address has been hijacked or your gmail
>> account compromised than it does a problem with Outlook.  The first thing
>> I'd do is to change my gmail password to something reasonable complex,
>> including non-alphanumeric characters as well as upper and lower case.
>> -- 
>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/24/2008 3:30:26 PM
From near the bottom of the thread at bleepingcomputer.com, where the poster 
posts one of the messages -

>>
Subject: Not read: ladies say size doesnot matter, but we know, it does!
>>

Outlook is responding to read receipts - 'not read' means the messages were 
deleted unread.  This explains the problem:
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2008/up081023.htm#4 - its definitely not a 
virus.  Outlook should not be returning read receipts when deleting junk 
mail and Microsoft is investigating the problem.



-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
news:uor041eNJHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Did you run a packet trace as FH suggested?
>
> -- 
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
>
> "duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:70519C01-D016-4A17-AC07-62E7AE219E82@microsoft.com...
>> Thanks for your input Brian. Please see the first message in this thread 
>> to
>> verify that some of us have some idea what we're talking about, and that
>> something else is occurring here.
>>
>>
>> By the way, I unplugged my ethernet connection and opened outlook - it
>> immediately tried to send from all my accounts. I deleted the passwords 
>> and
>> left them blank, closed and opened outlook and looked at the status - 
>> outlook
>> reported sending successfully from each account (not possible with 
>> unplugged
>> cable, obviously). I turned off the send/receive on starting option, 
>> closed
>> and opened outlook, same thing, reported successfully sending email from 
>> all
>> accounts.
>>
>> Others are also having this problem as you can see from the link I posted
>> above.
>>
>> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>>
>>> "duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:A8C7AC7F-DFD7-4D0E-A480-9BD24A79FC57@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>> > Same thing happening to me.
>>> >
>>> > Vista 64 (ultimate), outlook 2007, gmail with IMAP.
>>> > when I logged into Gmail, had several undeliverable emails. I did not
>>> > recognize any of the addresses. The emails had headings like 'make all 
>>> > the
>>> > girls in the neighborhood long for you.' Email bodies were mostly 
>>> > blank,
>>> > some
>>> > had that all caps code in it. Some emails had  Winmail.dat attached.
>>> > Headers
>>> > showed it to come from my desktop computer at my home IP.
>>> >
>>> > Emails also showed in the gmail 'sent' folder, but not in my outlook
>>> > folder
>>> > or anywhere else I looked (mobile windows 6, macbook laptop).
>>>
>>> This sounds more like your mail address has been hijacked or your gmail
>>> account compromised than it does a problem with Outlook.  The first 
>>> thing
>>> I'd do is to change my gmail password to something reasonable complex,
>>> including non-alphanumeric characters as well as upper and lower case.
>>> -- 
>>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>>>
>>> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/24/2008 3:43:15 PM
"duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:70519C01-D016-4A17-AC07-62E7AE219E82@microsoft.com...

> Thanks for your input Brian. Please see the first message in this thread 
> to
> verify that some of us have some idea what we're talking about, and that
> something else is occurring here.

I never said you didn't know what you're talking about, but you just proved 
you don't, because that thread at BleepingCOmputer that you said was 
"exactly" your problem IS the read receipt issue I suggested.
-- 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 

0
tillman1952 (16053)
10/24/2008 6:12:09 PM
I'll also point out that the "expert" at bleepingcomputer doesn't know what 
they are looking as they continued to recommend solutions (including the use 
of a "very powerful tool which should not be used without expert guidance") 
in hopes of identifying the "virus", when the sample message posted shows 
its clearly not a virus - its an NDR from a read receipt. See 
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2008/20081024.htm


-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:ePo2IQgNJHA.2100@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "duggieG" <duggieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:70519C01-D016-4A17-AC07-62E7AE219E82@microsoft.com...
>
>> Thanks for your input Brian. Please see the first message in this thread 
>> to
>> verify that some of us have some idea what we're talking about, and that
>> something else is occurring here.
>
> I never said you didn't know what you're talking about, but you just 
> proved you don't, because that thread at BleepingCOmputer that you said 
> was "exactly" your problem IS the read receipt issue I suggested.
> -- 
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/24/2008 6:25:22 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Automatically viewing picture attachments in Outlook 2002
I tried to search in this newsgroup but couldn't find the answer. Is there any way that outlook can automatically view picture attachments like in outlook express. Thanks. No. Outlook doesn't support inline image viewing. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "...

Unable to install dpm 2007 sp1 agent to Server 2008R2
I am unable to do an install of the dpm agent to server 2008R2, from DPM Manager I get errors, manual install seems to work, but dpm server is unable to communicate, the is the AgentBootstapperCurr.errlog: PS. I first installed the updated version from 1038 directory, then uninstalled and installed the original SP1 one: 0D28 0A10 04/03 11:39:58.204 14 main.cpp(1801) Failed: F: lVal : (HANDLE)(schService = OpenServiceW( schSCManager, strServiceName.PeekStr(), (0x00010000L) | 0x0020 | 0x0004)): 0x80070424 0D28 0A10 04/03 11:39:58.204 14 main.cpp(1839) DeleteServiceByName for...

Transferring data to a new company that has a "new" chart of accou
Hello: The client wants to create a new company in GP 9.0. This company is going to be the client’s “new live” company. The client wants this company to have a different account format and a new chart of accounts from what the old company has. They want to get rid of this “old live” company, because they say that financial and other data is not clearly discernible. Pretty easy, so far….. But, the client also wants to transfer the payroll and payables data from the old live company to this new live company. The issue is that the new company will have a new chart of accounts. The ...

sumifs help
I have the following formula. =SUMIFS(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38) It now needs to be changed to a formula that can handle text instead of numbers. How do i do it? Use Countif instead of Sumif from =SUMIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38) to =CountIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38) Do you really have a function Countifs with an "S" at the end? thie maybe an UDF that needs to be modified. -- joel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joel's Profile: 229 View this th...

Help !
I need to create a data input screen on excel where multiple users at the same time will use them & input data. This data then needs to be stored as a database as well, where i can use it to understand trends Thank you. and the question is ...? <abrahamsaj@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1132155054.927936.191640@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >I need to create a data input screen on excel where multiple users > at the same time will use them & input data. > This data then needs to be stored as a database as well, where i can > use it to understand trends >...

Help with this thing
It was working in the window "Transactions >> Sales >> Transactions of Sales", but exactly were publishing a Quotation, which i wanna print, more nevertheless was shut up to me network, then I closed the window and it threw several messages to me of error, and from that then it was blocked the quotation that was working. My question is as I can unblock this document? ...

Outlook crashes when typing recipient
Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins installed. Thanks. It would be helpful if you provided at least some basic information such as: 1. Outlook version 2. Mail account type 3. Information store 4. The steps used to break Outlook. I suspect this didn't just start happening on its own for no reason. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1159655665.219713.8280@e3g2000cwe.google...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!
I have XP Professional installed and Office XP Professional. I have several users setup for kids, as well as my admin account. I want to setup a Limited Account in addition to the Admin account for myself for daily use. Am I just suppose to pick a different account name and login password and then setup my MSN Messenger and Outlook POP email with same username and password that I used to setup the Admin account? I don't need to share any contacts or anything, I just setup the admin email in order to setup Outlook. I want to input my contact info etc., into the Limited account and use ...

Powerpoint viewer 2007 on windows embedded standard 2009
I had trying to install powerpoint viewer 2007 to my windows embedded system, but it cannot open pptx file and get an error message "This file requires the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system to view its contents". After i installed fileformatconverter.exe i get another error message "The converter failed to save the file". The powerpoint viewer does run 2003 ver file only for 2007 ver having this problem. ...

"No more new fonts" error message
I have a 444 KB xls with 38 sheets. I keep getting a "No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook" whenever I add another sheet and attempt to modify it. Any ideas? Thanks TS See this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;215573 XL2000: Error Copying Worksheets Containing Charts -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "TS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01a701c3a487$31d92340$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have a 444 KB xls with 38 sheets. I keep getting a "No...

Access 2007 link table login
Hi I am migrating my Access 2003 to 2007. There a lot of link tables from Oracle in my mdb file. when my applicaiton running, I have to code to login Oracle: Dim wsp As Workspace Set wsp = DBEngine.CreateWorkspace("xxx", "xxx", "xxx", dbUseODBC) Set dbs = OpenDatabase("", False, True, strConnect) ' connect via regular ODBC 'Close the database. The login is still cached so that it is available for any 'Access object that needs it during the same session. dbs.Close This code works great in 2003 but not in 2...

HELP !!! I have a ARRAY Formula HELP !!!
Hello, Here is the ARRAY Formula I have and this is what I am using it for. The situation is that it worked 1 time and than not again. =INDEX(D48:K48,,MAX(IF(D48:K48<>"",COLUMN(D48:K48)))-COLUMN(D48)+1 Duty: I have a row of number that appear hourly (DOLLAR AMOUNTS), the numbe are anything from nothing to 10000. I want the hourly number to appea in specified cell. Here is an example. (I am using EXCEL 2000) Row D48:K48 answer in cell G2 1st hour D48 = $100.00 G2 Should be $100.00 2nd Hour D48 = $100.00 E48 = (nothing) G2 Should be (nothing) 3rd Hour D48 = $1...

Auto Archive problem
Hi All, We use Outlook 2003 Sp3. One of my users has this problem with the Auto Archive feature: certain folders of his mailbox don't get archived. The emails stay in these folders and others folders emails get moved to the PST file according to the Auto Archive settings. Even if I try to archive manually some of the forlers that don't work, nothing gets archived. What can I do with this? Regards, Are you aware that the Date used to archive is the Date Last Modified? This may be causing what you think is unsual behaviour. When were the items last modified? Regards Judy ...

Possible to set up a timer in Outlook?
I would like to have one of Outlook's reminders appear. Then, when I acknowlege it, I would like Outlook to, in effect, 'count down' until a certain period of time has elapsed, then pop up another reminder. In short, rather than a reminder that occurs at a specific time of day, I'd like a recurring reminder that only appears when a certain amount of time has elapsed after I manually acknowlege the last reminder. Is there an easy way to set up such a thing in Outlook? Thanks for any answers or suggestions. Schuh is my hero <no@mail> wrote: > I would like to ha...

1 email account, 2 mail address, 2 computers, Outlook 2000
Hi I have 1 email account, with is shared between me and my girlfreind, we each have our own email address, but all our mails go in to one joint inbox, using something called Email Alias, that our ISP use. The problem is that we get each others mails, and we would like to setup a rule so that the mails not intented for the person that recives them is automaticly deleted in his/her outlook and is left on the server so the other can get it when checking their mail. I have been looking for guides to do this for a while and have been able to find a few for Outlook 2002 and 2003, but none for th...

exch 5.5 help
I am in a progress to upgrade Exchange 5.5 (on NT4) to Exhange 2k3 (on 2k3). I setup a test machine and upgrade the OS to w2k3. 1st I want to connect the 5.5 to AD, so I should install ADC. Can anyone tell me the steps? Frorestprep, domainprep, setup adc, and upgrade to exchange 2k3? If you run through the steps in the E2K3 deployment tools they will walk you through everything. -- Hope that helps. ------------------------- Jaclynn Hiranaka Enterprise Messaging Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. � 2004 Microsoft Corporation. Al...

new emails that are really a month old that reload every few minutes
Help. Every few minutes, I have to delete 28 "new" emails...this is a brand new problem that started yesterday. The same emails from October keep showing up as new very few minutes...I've had to delete hundreds of emails today. Why is this happening? Is there some reason you aren't deleting messages from the POP server after downloading them? Allison wrote: > Help. Every few minutes, I have to delete 28 "new" > emails...this is a brand new problem that started > yesterday. The same emails from October keep showing up > as new very few minutes....

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10
Need a Formula for the following: Data Table A B C D E F G H I 1 Tom A W 2 H 30 84 30 2 Peter A W 3 H 3 Nick B L 1 A 70 Columns F1:I3 from Data Table has break scores for each player. Below is the Result Table where I need to show a summary report for high breaks. I have no problem with Break as I use the Large function. I need a formula to insert in A1 and A2 to place the name for the corresponding breaks below. Result Table High Breaks A B Name Break 1 ...

New Add-On for Microsoft CRM 1.2
We are proud to announce a new Add-On for Microsoft CRM 1.2. Related Documents for MS CRM 1.2 Now you are able to store any documents(files) in MSCRM The Related Document Add-On for CRM allows you to add any type of files to Leads,Contacts,Accounts,.. a.. You can categorize the documents(files) you add to an CRM-Object. b.. No size-limitation for your files. c.. Store your own private Documents to CRM-Objects. Go to www.mscrm-addons.com and download the Add-On! support@mscrm-addons.com www.mscrm-addons.com Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS! GroupCalendar for MSCRM Rel...

Outlook Express #280
I am not receiving emails for a few days now. How can I find them and solve the problem Karen <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am not receiving emails for a few days now. How can I > find them and solve the problem Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Envelope not shown for new email in Outlook 2003 SP3
One of my users has a problem where the envelope does not show in the task bar next to the clock when new mail arrives in Outlook 2003 SP3. The settings are properly set - show an envelope icon in the notification area, display a new mail mail desktop alert. It did work for the longest time, now does not. Does anyone know why the envelope will not show when he received new email - internal or internet mail, and if you know a way to resolve ? maybe re-install Outlook ? thanks, Bob ...

help...help...help
I just installed Microsoft Office XP Professionaql with no problem. However, whenever I try to perform any task such as opening contacts area in order to create an entry, I receive a dialog box with Microsoft Outlook and a yellow exclamation point. Also, included in the dialog box are the words could not open the item, try again. Other information that might be important is that I use a pst file. The error message also occurs when I try to open the Contact folder from the folder list as well as when I try to perform any function. It was a clean install not an upgrade. Could you ...

Need help in data copying.
Hi I have an invoicing file in excel (Sheet1). I need to store the dat which is invoiced into another sheet. My Invoice Data starting from Ro 8 and column B to F (The first item is from B8-F8, second item i B9-F9). B-Item Code, C-Item Name, D-Qty, E-Price, F-Total. Once I print the invoice, I need to transfer the data to another shee (Sheet2) . When I create another invoice, the new data should be added below t the previous data in Sheet2. So that I can have all the items I sol in Sheet2. Can someone help me sending a macro for it??? I will be grateful to you. Thanks in advance Tom -...

Import from MS Outlook 2000
Hi, I need to import into my Entourage 2004 all my data from an Outlook.pst file created in Microsoft Outlook 2000 for Windows. Can you please tell me how I can do it??? Thanks and Happy Holidays!! JM Yepez Hi Jose, This newsgroup is for questions about converting between versions of Microsoft Access database software, and hardly anyone here uses Macs. Probably what you'l have to do is to use Outlook to open the PST file and export the items it contains to a format that Entourage can import. If there's a better answer, you're more likely to get it from an Entourage forum. ...

Outlook 2007 Calender Permissions Context Menu does not open on right-click (only 1 user affected)
Hello, one of our users cannot open the context menu to set calendar permissions in Outlook 2007 (right-clicking on calendar). Hourglass appears and process hangs forever (window does not even appear). Have to use taskman to end it. No events appearing in event viewer that relate in any way :( Further details: xp32, Office 2007 Pro, all patches (2010-06-24) Running Processes, Services, Antivirus and other tools are the same for all users (accessing permissions work for others). No macros running in background. Any clue where to start my search or what to fix? Would be nice if I wouldn&#...