Hang when receiving signed e-mails

Hello,

When I receive signed e-mails and select them in the inbox, Outlook
hangs for 6-7 seconds before I get the message "This item cannot be
displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents".
While I open the e-mail by double-clicking it, it appears in the reading
pane as well.

Any ideas why it hangs, and how I can fix it? (and preferably also be
able to read the mail in the reading pane).

Thanks.

Regards,
Nils Magnus
0
nmee (4)

Nils Magnus <nmee@nmee.net> wrote:

> When I receive signed e-mails and select them in the inbox, Outlook
> hangs for 6-7 seconds before I get the message "This item cannot be
> displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents".
> While I open the e-mail by double-clicking it, it appears in the
> reading pane as well.

This sounds like you're receiving encrypted messages, which will not display
in the Reading Pane and will display the message you see.  Digitally-signed
messages generally do not display that message and will display in the
Reading Pane.  Is the icon a red ribbon or a blue lock?

> Any ideas why it hangs, and how I can fix it? (and preferably also be
> able to read the mail in the reading pane).

It's taking the time to decrypt it, perhaps.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/26/2007 11:56:45 AM
Hi Brian, thanks for replying.

>> When I receive signed e-mails and select them in the inbox, Outlook
>> hangs for 6-7 seconds before I get the message "This item cannot be
>> displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents".
>> While I open the e-mail by double-clicking it, it appears in the
>> reading pane as well.
>
> This sounds like you're receiving encrypted messages, which will not
> display in the Reading Pane and will display the message you see.
> Digitally-signed messages generally do not display that message and will
> display in the Reading Pane.  Is the icon a red ribbon or a blue lock?

No, they're only signed. The icon is a red ribbon. As far as I know, I
would have to have my own public key in order for the sender to be able
to encrypt mail for me? (and I don't)

>> Any ideas why it hangs, and how I can fix it? (and preferably also be
>> able to read the mail in the reading pane).
>
> It's taking the time to decrypt it, perhaps.

This I strongly doubt, but could it be that it's trying to find
revocation information for the certificate? Either way, it's extremely
unpractical - any suggestions (other than asking my contacts to stop
sending signed e-mails) are welcome!

Regards,
Nils Magnus
0
nmee (4)
9/26/2007 12:16:09 PM
Nils Magnus <nmee@nmee.net> wrote:

> No, they're only signed. The icon is a red ribbon. As far as I know, I
> would have to have my own public key in order for the sender to be
> able to encrypt mail for me? (and I don't)

You are correct in this last statement.  I really can't say, then, why the
Reading Pane doesn't display the message.  We use signed and/or encrypted
messages extensively where I work and I've not seen your symptoms before.

> This I strongly doubt, but could it be that it's trying to find
> revocation information for the certificate? Either way, it's extremely
> unpractical - any suggestions (other than asking my contacts to stop
> sending signed e-mails) are welcome!

Well, the standard suggestions apply, naturally: make sure you're not
scanning messages with any add-ins and try running Outlook in safe mode to
see if that makes any difference.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/26/2007 3:25:22 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
>> No, they're only signed. The icon is a red ribbon. As far as I know, I
>> would have to have my own public key in order for the sender to be
>> able to encrypt mail for me? (and I don't)
>
> You are correct in this last statement.  I really can't say, then, why
> the Reading Pane doesn't display the message.  We use signed and/or
> encrypted messages extensively where I work and I've not seen your
> symptoms before.
>
>> This I strongly doubt, but could it be that it's trying to find
>> revocation information for the certificate? Either way, it's extremely
>> unpractical - any suggestions (other than asking my contacts to stop
>> sending signed e-mails) are welcome!
>
> Well, the standard suggestions apply, naturally: make sure you're not
> scanning messages with any add-ins and try running Outlook in safe mode
> to see if that makes any difference.

Running in safe mode, it doesn't hang at all. However, the signed
messages still won't display in the reading pane. It's not a big problem
   for me that I have to open the signed mail in order to read it, but
my main problem is the hanging... could it be an add-in? The only
third-party add-in I'm using is Adobe Acrobat, but I don't know how that
would affect reading signed mails.

Nils Magnus
0
nmee (4)
9/26/2007 7:29:01 PM
Nils Magnus <nmee@nmee.net> wrote:

> Running in safe mode, it doesn't hang at all. However, the signed
> messages still won't display in the reading pane. It's not a big
>   problem for me that I have to open the signed mail in order to read
> it, but my main problem is the hanging... could it be an add-in? The only
> third-party add-in I'm using is Adobe Acrobat, but I don't know how
> that would affect reading signed mails.

The PDF Maker portion of Acrobat (you are saying you have Acrobat and not
Acrobat Reader installed, correct?) has been known to cause issues with
Outlook.  It should be easy to check.  Uninstall the PDF Maker portion of
Acrobat or try disabling the add-in and see if it makes a difference.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

strange mail
i wonder if this mail is from windows live? Hotmail Warning!!! Update Your Hotmail Account To Avoid Suspension‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏ Från: Windows Live (nebiatgbs@yahoo.com) Du vet kanske inte vem den här avsändaren är.Markera som säker|Markera som skräppost Skickat: den 15 januari 2010 12:42:10 Till: CONFIRM YOUR WINDOWS LIVE ACCOUNT SERVICES. VERIFY YOUR HOTMAIL ACCOUNT NOW TO AVOID IT CLOSED !!! Dear Account Owner This email is from Windows Live Hotmail® and we are sending it to you account users for your safety. Du...

Outlook Hangs on Exit Splash Screen
New Ibm Laptop with windows 2000, Office 2003 and all os and office updates installed. Boss did not like Office 2003 swo I unistalled Office 2003 and installed Office 2000. Now when you exit Outlook it hangs on the exit slpash screen. Any Ideas.,... This has happended to me on several different type of machines...not just the laptop. only way I know how to get around is a total system rebuild.. Thanks Matt I found reference to this problem in the Microsoft Knowledgebase. Take a look at http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm to see if this might help. My probl...

Outlook 2000 hangs when opening
Maybe a coincidence, but I installed the MDAC 2.8 update & patch yesterday. Things seemed to be fine on my machine last night, but when I attempted to check pop3 email today, Outlook stops responding. I've had this happen with a corrupt email in Outlook Express - you have to copy and create a new inbox and use dB-Extract to suck out your old mail. Anybody have this happen to them? Any idea on how to get stuff out of the .pst file? ...

Internal e-mail Restrictions...
In Exchange I need to have only certain people able to send mail, but everybody able to receive. How would you do that? I know it's easy enough for the internet mail service, but how for internal mail? Cheers, Phil. you need to prohibit send @ 1K...that should do it...once a mailbox has been used at all, it's impossible to get it down to under 1K... "Philip Green" <philg@coldseal.co.uk> wrote in message news:eGBXRSD4DHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > In Exchange I need to have only certain people able to send mail, but > everybody able to receive. How would...

Receivables Aging Report
I need to develop a SQL report for GP version 9.0 for a customer that's an AR aging report. They want the report grouped by sales territory- the sales territory on each transaction is what needs to be grouped, not the sales territory in customer maintenance (the canned GP report uses the customer sales territory and doesn't group by the sales territory at the document level). I have a feeling they want to run this as a historical AR aging report, which means I cannot simply rely on a 'current amount' field. Anyone know what tables I will need for this report? Any g...

Unexplained e-mails
I get probably 15 e-mails daily form aliases of Microsoft claiming to be e-mailing be a "critical update" - I know it's BS, so they immediately get deleted. I assume there is no way to stop this other than not replying in anyway and hope they'll go away. however, I also get about 10 e-mail daily from e-mail "administrator" accounts which say that my e-mail to so-and-so could not be delivered. This e-mail target is not in my add'y book. What gives, and what can I do besides add them to junk senders list? yeah- since (probably foolishly) using my email on a...

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang mod
My iexplore gets stuck from time to time mostely when opening new tabs. I'm on Windows XP. Help me. Included the error: ==================================================== Event Type: Error Event Source: Application Hang Event Category: (101) Event ID: 1002 Date: 03/03/2010 Time: 11:36:20 User: N/A Computer: PASTERNAK-PC Description: Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: ...

Send Pictures via E-mail dialog box missing
Hi, I've recently reinstalled Outlook 2003, and now when I try to email photos from 'my pictures' the "Send Pictures via E-mail dialog box" doesn't appear, so I'm unable to make them small enough to email. Any ideas where it may have gone to? Thanks ...

Outlook 2003 "hangs"
When replying to HTML emails Outlook hangs, I can cancel and retry but same again. Have decreased my PST file size to 200mb, tried running SCANPST which did some stuff but still extremely slow (I watched a DVD and it was ready for replying when I got back). IS this a commmon error? I have seen entries about using windows as email editor possibly being related to this issue..? Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access sc...

Forward e-mail
If I create an e-mail from Publisher, how do I give the recipient the option to forward the e-mail to another person? I know they could just hit the forward button in the e-mail program, but I'm talking about clicking on a link on the e-mail itself to forward it. I saw an answer in one of the threads...but the link that was given doesn't work anymore. Thanks in advance! How to save your publication as a Web Archive in Publisher and share it in e-mail http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312157/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news...

Word hangs when I try to insert accented character
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel have recently installed Office 2004 on a new macbook pro running 0S 10.5.3. it's been working fine but today i've been working on a word document and when i tried to insert a foreign character (an � - e with an accent) it just hangs and i have to force quit. is this a compatibility problem, or is there any way to work around it ? thanks <webstar@officeformac.com> wrote: Hi, > have recently installed Office 2004 on a new macbook pro running 0S > 10.5.3. > > it's been working fi...

Purchase order receive
Hi, I need some help, DOes any on know if it is possible to disable the user to change item quatities , when they receive a Purchse Order Thank you for your help ------=_NextPart_0001_1512234A Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Sergio, Looks like your request was in here twice. I replied to the other one. Thanks, Angela Eckman Microsoft Online Support Engineer ====================================================== Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays with a goal to provide ONE BUSINESS DAY RESPONSE to all posts. If this response time does n...

Internal mail address
I have a query based distribution group witch contain all mu local users. I want only local users to send mail to it. How can i accomplish this. in message restrictions i have selected to accept messages from authentical users only, but i still got mail from the outside to it. Terje Hi Terje, Instead of selecting "From authenticated users", just chose "Only from:" then click Add and type the name of your Query-based Distribution group. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro & Server Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.exchangeis.com "Terje Sundb�e&q...

run mail merge to word from ms access using and save every record as separate word document
Hi, I need to export an ms access report to a word document. The problem is that the report contains graphics that are actually fields in the record that do not show up in the resulting word document. One other idea I had was to run a mail merge programmatically (not sure how to do this either, may need to invoke the word object and use it's methods) from access to an existing word document that already contains the graphics. The only issue here is that I need to set the image source for the graphics based on the value of one of the merged fields. In other words, the graphic itself...

I cannot receive messages in outlook 2003
When trying to receive messages with Outlook 2003 - I keep getting an error "receiving a reported error (0x8007007E): unknown error 0x8007007E". It only occurs when I have mail waiting for me. If No mail is waiting -- then I don't get the error. I have set up 3 different e-mail accounts and they all do the dame thing. From Google: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-50,GGLD:en&q=0x8007007E -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my perso...

outlook hangs up randomly
Outlook 2002 is hanging up randomly. The error message has something to do with a "hung app". The program freezes and you have to close it down. However, it freezes again when you reopen it. Does anyone know what can be done? ...

Different E-mail Accounts, and one other question
Hi again. MS Outlook 2003 (11.8118.8107) SP2 I have more than one e-mail account. I want incoming e-mails to these accounts each to go to it's own folder. How do I do this? From what I can remember, this was possible with OE. I then have 2 seperate ID's each with its own inbox, sent, outbox, etc. The other question ... How can I view sent images directly in my incoming mails? Thank you for your time & help. -- Regards, Deon H Deon <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote: > I have more than one e-mail account. I want incoming e-mails to these > accounts each to...

RMS and E-commerce
I have a very basic question - we are using v2.0 of the RMS. I had a developer create an XML formatted file of an internet order from our e-commerce software on the webserver. There will be a semi-manual process to move that xml file from the server to my local computer to be processed by the POS - but when I try the CTRL + SHIFT + F10 it is looking for a server to connect to - am I missing somehting basic for this functionality. I thought I would be ready to import these online orders once I had this formatted XML file Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you ...

Can't access send/receive under mail setup
I am using Outlook 2003 with exchange. I want to add a pop3 account. The Pop3 account sends but won't receive (although the Outlook test message is fine). When I go to tools/options/mail setup and push the send/receive button, nothing happens. I have just installed a new hard drive. This worked on the old one, and on other computers. I have recreated the profile from scratch but I have the same problem. What's going on? Can someone help me? -- Thanks. Sammie SBS 2003, OFFICE 2003, XP-PRO-SP3, IE7 ...

Hang
My Outlook always hang whenever I open it... Any idea on how to fix this? I tried to repair using the installer or even reinstalling But, it doesn't seem to work Chris Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If using Windows 2000 or XP, you will need to enable searching hidden and system folders.) Once you have done so, reopen Outlook and it should open fine. You will need to rebuild any custom toolbars or customizations as the file outcmd.dat controls how the toolbars display. When it becomes corrupted, it will cause Outlook to hang because it cannot create the too...

Smartlist
The Receivings Transactions smartlist does not include a column showing the total document amount. This seems rather strange, it is an important field. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbr...

Mail merge
I want to add "nickname" to a mail merge document. When I try to insert merge fields, "Nickname" is not on the list. I am using Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6714) SP3. Would you kindly re-phrase your question. I don't quite understand what it is that you are trying to do. Randy "Wilfred" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:YrGdnU7ZZZHC7V3cRVn-oQ@comcast.com... >I want to add "nickname" to a mail merge document. When I try to insert >merge fields, "Nickname" is not on the list. > > I am using Outlook 2002 (10.651...

Incoming mail box for Administrator
Hi i am using Exchange 2000 with sp2 in Win2k with SP4 enviroment. all of sudden i am getting in each moment one spam email in my administrator account. please help As in, you're suddenly seeing a lot of spam sent to that address? If so, I'm not sure what you're asking - someone has found your e-mail address. You can either change it, or install antispam software on your network, or use a third party service like www.postini.com .... Diku wrote: > Hi > i am using Exchange 2000 with sp2 in Win2k with SP4 enviroment. all of > sudden i am getting in each moment one spam...

Hanging ???
We have Publisher installed on many pc's around our organization. Most people are running Win 2000 or XP. I have had several calls from people claiming that their pc is hanging while they are working on a file. Only in Publisher. Have you experienced this and know of an answer to solve it?? Thank you!! Any errors? Publisher is more critical about printer drivers, are you all connected to a network printer? Do you have Norton installed? Disable "script blocking". In the options menu disable "Office Plug-ins". -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ htt...

positive numbers with '+' sign
Hi, is there any way I can present positive numbers together with '+' sign but not to turn them into strings that start with '+', I need numbers to stay numbers. Thanx alekm Hi You could use a custom cell format like: +0.00;-0.00;0.00 -- Andy. "alekm" <alekm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEDB2B95-44F9-4BDE-BF75-45E515783EC9@microsoft.com... > Hi, > is there any way I can present positive numbers together with '+' sign but not to > turn them into strings that start with '+', I need numbers to stay numbers. >...