Handling files in Outlook 2003/2007 profiles

I have saved my .pst files for multiple Outlook 2003 profiles under
XP. I have set up associated profiles in Outlook 2007 under Vista. Of
course, the 2007 profiles are now using "ghost' .pst file, such as
Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst, etc. I have been told that if I ". . .
want to change the data file that a profile is using, you must open
that file in Outlook, set that file as the default, restart Outlook,
then close the original PST file. . ." Unfortunately, I do not find
the procedure in Outlook to set a file to "default" or to "close" a
file. I would appreciate any help in doing this.
Henry

0
hwince (14)

To set a .pst file as the default store, use the File | Data File =
Management command. Once you've changed the default, you can also use =
that dialog to close unwanted files.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
    http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=3D54=20

<hwince@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message =
>I have saved my .pst files for multiple Outlook 2003 profiles under
> XP. I have set up associated profiles in Outlook 2007 under Vista. Of
> course, the 2007 profiles are now using "ghost' .pst file, such as
> Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst, etc. I have been told that if I ". . .
> want to change the data file that a profile is using, you must open
> that file in Outlook, set that file as the default, restart Outlook,
> then close the original PST file. . ." Unfortunately, I do not find
> the procedure in Outlook to set a file to "default" or to "close" a
> file. I would appreciate any help in doing this.
> Henry

0
suemvp (4038)
7/7/2007 2:28:15 AM
How to migrate your data correctly has been posted many times and is even in
the Help files.

http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm

http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<hwince@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have saved my .pst files for multiple Outlook 2003 profiles under
> XP. I have set up associated profiles in Outlook 2007 under Vista. Of
> course, the 2007 profiles are now using "ghost' .pst file, such as
> Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst, etc. I have been told that if I ". . .
> want to change the data file that a profile is using, you must open
> that file in Outlook, set that file as the default, restart Outlook,
> then close the original PST file. . ." Unfortunately, I do not find
> the procedure in Outlook to set a file to "default" or to "close" a
> file. I would appreciate any help in doing this.
> Henry

0
russval1 (2100)
7/7/2007 2:29:12 AM
look in tools, accounts, data file - you can change the default and remove
psts there.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

<hwince@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have saved my .pst files for multiple Outlook 2003 profiles under
> XP. I have set up associated profiles in Outlook 2007 under Vista. Of
> course, the 2007 profiles are now using "ghost' .pst file, such as
> Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst, etc. I have been told that if I ". . .
> want to change the data file that a profile is using, you must open
> that file in Outlook, set that file as the default, restart Outlook,
> then close the original PST file. . ." Unfortunately, I do not find
> the procedure in Outlook to set a file to "default" or to "close" a
> file. I would appreciate any help in doing this.
> Henry

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/7/2007 2:44:01 PM
On Jul 6, 10:28 pm, "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]"
<sue...@outlookcode.com> wrote:
> To set a .pst file as the default store, use the File | Data File Management command. Once you've changed the default, you can also use that dialog to close unwanted files.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming:
>      Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators
>    http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54
>

> <hwi...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in messagenews:1183774701.833021.19400@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> >I have saved my .pst files for multiple Outlook 2003 profiles under
> > XP. I have set up associated profiles in Outlook 2007 under Vista. Of
> > course, the 2007 profiles are now using "ghost' .pst file, such as
> > Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst, etc. I have been told that if I ". . .
> > want to change the data file that a profile is using, you must open
> > that file in Outlook, set that file as the default, restart Outlook,
> > then close the original PST file. . ." Unfortunately, I do not find
> > the procedure in Outlook to set a file to "default" or to "close" a
> > file. I would appreciate any help in doing this.
> > Henry- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to everyone for the links provided in your responses. After
digesting all of these, I should at least be able to upgrade my status
to OLD beginner.

Sue, thank you for your suggestion, but this is where I fail the test.
In Outlook 2003 (I hope to move to Outlook 2007 later), I go to File |
Data File Management, which brings up the Outlook Data Files screen.
There are listed two files: C:\Documents and Settings\ . . .
Outlook1.pst and D:\My Documents\My Files\Henry.pst. On this screen
there are options: Tell Me More ..., Settings ..., Open Folder ...,
Add ..., Remove, and Close. None of these options offers to set a file
to "default" or to "close" a file. Of course, the Close option merely
closes the Outlook Data Files menu.

When I double-click either file or select "Settings ...", the Personal
Folders screen (for the highlighted file) comes up with its General
tab listing Name:, Filename:, Encryption:, Format:, Change
Password ..., Compact Now and Comment plus OK and Cancel. Again, none
of the options offers the "default" setting or "close." Where do I go
from here? Henry

0
hwince (14)
7/7/2007 5:22:51 PM
You asked for help on Outlook 2007 on Vista. Therefore, I gave the =
instructions for Outlook 2007. In Outlook 2003, go through the Tools | =
E-mail Accounts dialog.=20

> On Jul 6, 10:28 pm, "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]"
> <sue...@outlookcode.com> wrote:
>> To set a .pst file as the default store, use the File | Data File =
Management command. Once you've changed the default, you can also use =
that dialog to close unwanted files.

>> <hwi...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in =
messagenews:1183774701.833021.19400@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
>> >I have saved my .pst files for multiple Outlook 2003 profiles under
>> > XP. I have set up associated profiles in Outlook 2007 under Vista. =
Of
>> > course, the 2007 profiles are now using "ghost' .pst file, such as
>> > Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst, etc. I have been told that if I ". . .
>> > want to change the data file that a profile is using, you must open
>> > that file in Outlook, set that file as the default, restart =
Outlook,
>> > then close the original PST file. . ." Unfortunately, I do not find
>> > the procedure in Outlook to set a file to "default" or to "close" a
>> > file. I would appreciate any help in doing this.
>> > Henry- Hide quoted text -

>=20
> Thanks to everyone for the links provided in your responses. After
> digesting all of these, I should at least be able to upgrade my status
> to OLD beginner.
>=20
> Sue, thank you for your suggestion, but this is where I fail the test.
> In Outlook 2003 (I hope to move to Outlook 2007 later), I go to File |
> Data File Management, which brings up the Outlook Data Files screen.
> There are listed two files: C:\Documents and Settings\ . . .
> Outlook1.pst and D:\My Documents\My Files\Henry.pst. On this screen
> there are options: Tell Me More ..., Settings ..., Open Folder ...,
> Add ..., Remove, and Close. None of these options offers to set a file
> to "default" or to "close" a file. Of course, the Close option merely
> closes the Outlook Data Files menu.
>=20
> When I double-click either file or select "Settings ...", the Personal
> Folders screen (for the highlighted file) comes up with its General
> tab listing Name:, Filename:, Encryption:, Format:, Change
> Password ..., Compact Now and Comment plus OK and Cancel. Again, none
> of the options offers the "default" setting or "close." Where do I go
> from here? Henry

0
suemvp (4038)

Exchange 2K to 2K3 migration
I'd like to get some advice on the best approach to handle the STM file during an Inter-Org mailbox move. The Exchange migration wizard will handle the the mailbox but how do you handle the content in the STM file? Thanks. You don't need to worry about it. Mailbox data is stored in both the EDB and STM files. Typically, message content from the Internet will be in the STM file. I'd suspect that when you migrate the mailboxes, all data will be converted to native MAPI format (moved to EDB file) and will then be moved to the new mailbox. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP Me...

Importing a .VCS file
When I attempt to import a .VCS file created by Lotus Organizer 6.0 Outlook gives me an error message stating that I do not have the rights to import such a file. I was able to import one calendar event that was saved as a .VCS file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

File is locked for Editing by user problem
We have a spreadsheet on a network folder than whenever it is opened, we get message "File In Use. <<file name>> is locked for editing by <username>" with the read-only and Notify buttons. Problem is, the specified user does NOT have the file open. We've made sure no one has the file open, we had that particular user reboot his system and not attempt to open the file again. Even when this particular user DOES open the file, even he also still gets the same message. We cannot seem to find a way to unlock the file for editing now. I can copy the file to my ...

Unable to open file
I have Money 2007 - has been working fine until today. When I open I get a message "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". When I use "Click here" for more details - I get module name: Unknown. I have tried both types of repairs, I unistalled and reinstalled the software; rebooted the machine a few times - all to no avail. I'm extremely frustrated. Please help me... In microsoft.public.money, asg wrote: >I have Money 2007 - has been working fine until today. When I open I get a >message "...

Link to a good sample book chapter on Migrating exchange 2003
I'm not sure what the name of this book is because I got the link through a google search but I think it contains helpful information for people who are migrating exchange. Among other things, it went into some good detail on the Active Directory Connector and how it works. You could probably find similar info on MS white papers but not as easy to understand. http://www.aw-bc.com/samplechapter/032122874X.pdf ...

Handle to an ActiveX control
Hi... What if I use GetModuleHandle(L"abc.ocx") in the InitInstance() of the of the App class derived from 'COleControlModule'...of the ActiveX control "abc.ocx" ? Will I get the Handle or it will return NULL....? I have encountered controls, in some of them..handle is found and in others its NULL... Wat is the reason behind this behavior..? Can any one explain? "Abby++" <asthana.abhinav@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174308443.062622.51500@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > What if I use GetModuleHandle(L"abc.ocx") in the InitI...

Publisher-Inserting a file
I am using MS Windows XP Home and MS Office 2003-Pro Publisher 2003. After having a crash where I had to use the switch in back to shut down, I have been unable to insert any files into a publisher page. I keep getting a notice that "MicroSoft has encounted a problem and must close. Send report, which I have done. This hasn't corrected the proble and I need to be able to insert some files from scanning and change their color to black and reduce the brightness to use as a watermark. Can someone please tell me how to correct this problem? Thanks "MOE" Hi MOE (searchno...

Recovering .pst files in Outlook 98
I have Outlook 98 installed on a computer with Windows XP. Works fine except that when I backup the .pst files using the "Import/Export" function, I can't open the backuped up files. When I try to open the .pst file saved onto a CD, I usually get the message, "Outlook\backup.pst is not a valid Win32 Application". Other times I get errors messages like, "Access denied, see your system administrator" or something like that. Is there something I'm doing wrong in the backup or recovery procedure? Make sure the file isn't marked read-only. If ...

invalid handle
hi frds i m very new in vc++ and i m founding too much difficulty in this so plz can any one solve this problem .... actully i m inserting a image in list box using this code ........ everything is returning write thing still it is saying invalid handle after ImageList_Add(hList,m_hBmpNew,0); when i m going to dibug it plz help me BOOL Fun() { // Create 256 color image lists HIMAGELIST hList = ImageList_Create(32,32, ILC_COLOR8 , 8, 1); HBITMAP m_hBmpNew = (HBITMAP) LoadImage( AfxGetInstanceHandle(), // handle to instance "c:\\img.bmp", /...

Client computers unable to access server resources (files
SBS 2008 server with about 30 users. 28 XP and two Vista users. Yesterday things worked. Today, none of the XP users are able to access file shares. Tech was dispatched and reports he unable to rejoin a machine that he disjoined. He says the computers are not seeing AD. I am unable to check the Vista users as they are out of the office today and have laptops which are with them. Users are able to access Exchange, Internet. When you you log in (cached credentials?) and try to run "\\servername\netlogon" you are prompted for credentials and even with valid credentials ar...

Outlook 2000
I have a problem on one P.C. that does not send attachments, I have even reinstalled office to the default settings and still no luck. It attaches the files and shows in the sent items folder with the attachment still there, but still no joy, I don't get any error messages, I would appreciate feedback as I have to sort the problem out. Thanks, Peter Are the recipients of the attachment-less messages also using Outlook, or are they using some other e-mail program? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to...

dbx files from another computer
I changed the computer and have transfered the .dbx files into my laptop folder. Does anyone know how to get my Outlook Express program in my laptop to read these files that I have transferred. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.publi...

Thunking a 32-bit HANDLE to a 64-bit HANDLE
Currently I am converting a 32-bit WDM driver to a 64-bit KMDF driver that will continue to work with our 32-bit DLL and our customer's 32-bit applications. The sample code for thunking 32-bit items shows the following Buffer->Handle = (HANDLE)Buffer32->Handle; see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa489604.aspx Buffer32->Handle is declared as UINT32 Handle The driver compiler issues error number C4312 for this cast. The code that I have adopted (to get it to compile) is: handlerInputs.hEvent = (HANDLE) (ULONG_PTR) p_handlerInputs3...

RSS Feeds in Outlook Express?
How can I add RSS Feeds to Outlook Express? I'd like to import those I have set up in Outlook. AFAIK, OE does not support RSS feeds. But you would be better served by asking in an Outlook Express group - this is not one of them. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Patricia Empson asked: | How can I add RSS Feeds to Outlook Express? I'd like to import those | I have set up in Outlook. On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 20:21:58 -0400, ...

How can I display a message for users on file open?
I am interested in creating a default instructional reminder for all users of a spreadsheet I have created. How can I do this and have the reminder displayed each time the file is opened? 1. With the workbook open, press Alt-F11. 2. From the menu, choose View, then Project Explorer. 3. Open the section called "ThisWorkbook" 4. Type the follwing: Sub MyMessage end Sub >-----Original Message----- >I am interested in creating a default instructional reminder for all users of >a spreadsheet I have created. How can I do this and have the reminder >displayed each time...

Opening files in Excel 2003
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark ...

Use of visio 2003 pro to document sql servers
Hello everybody I am try to document a Microsoft-SQL server with couple of databases, lots of views and tables and few store procedures in each,and few jobs comon for both I have use the menu Databases -> reverse engineer , but i found some limitation: - need to import one by one database - jobs are not possible to import - sp do not have graphical representation - views are not related to the tables/views from where they come is it me or is visio that do not allow any of the previously possibilities ?? my neededs are to make a big drawing to examinate how a sql server works (servers t...

Sorting Columns on HTML file created in Excel
Hi.. I'm not sure if I'm just searching for the wrong words, but can't find the answer to this.. I've created an excel file, about 15 columns.. In excel, I can sort the columns easily, but, I've saved the file as HTML now. How can I make it that those columns can still be sortable on the internet? Is there special code I need to put somewhere? I've seen javascript codes that can do this, but I would like to do it all via excel if possible. Any help appreciated! Thanks, -- Rob Hi Terri and Rob, You could include the JavaScript (Bookmarklet) within your HTML cod...

Outlook 2003
I just installed Outlook 2003. When I add holidays it only adds through 2007. Is there an update to add 2008 and beyond? XYZ man See if the info here helps: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/missinghol.htm "XYZ Man" <lhafkin@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:uVauVSX5HHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I just installed Outlook 2003. When I add holidays it only adds through >2007. Is there an update to add 2008 and beyond? XYZ Man <lhafkin@cfl.rr.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook 2003. When I add holidays it only adds > through 2007. Is there an ...

attachment of file
Hi there, I am trying to send a word file that contains Resume and cover letter to the company for job. I am using Vista and Office 2007 and each time I try and attach the file it states that 'Some of the files could not be found, and could not be attached to the message. Would you like to send the message anyway?' Could somebody spread some light on this for me please. I am not using office for a commercial purpose at all Bay-Nazir Are you trying to send it via Windows Mail, or Outlook? Have you tried saving it as a PDF file and then attaching that? If se...

Import using schema.ini file
In an import spec you can tell Access to skip a field/column. Can you do the same in a schema file? I'm helping a colleague import survey results and had to manually create a schema file; 227 columns with some very bad column names. We have no control over how we get the data (other than choosing xls or csv). The last column isn't really a column at all, just a non-printing character in the column names row but, Access says it's a column and wants to import it. I'd like to be able to tell Access to skip it. Also, since some of the columns will not be used for repor...

Macros running slow in Excel 2003
Does anyone know why macros that ran ok in Excel 2000 now take foreve in Excel 2003? This affects any kind of macro and turning Aut Recalculation On and Off does not help -- ebeltran ...

load file chm
hi all, how to load file chm in VC app? i use code below, but not work sFileChm = "myfile.chm"; ShellExecute(this->m_hWnd, _T("Open"), sFileChm, NULL, NULL, SW_HIDE); You should use the HtmlHelp() API. See if the following link helps you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191118 Cheers Check Abdoul --------------------- "Duy Trinh" <duy.trinh@mobinex.com> wrote in message news:uUo7L6dPHHA.4244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > hi all, > > how to load file chm in VC app? > > i use code below, but not work > sFileChm = "m...

opening an excel file from a form
Hello, i want to open a specific excel file from a form that is part of a database that i have designed. Sggestions as to how this can be acheived will be greatly appreciated. Regards. How to determine where the file lives is impossible to say without more info, but if you already have that in the database, then: Application.FollowHyperlink "full path to file" ie, Application.FollowHyperlink "\\Server\share\file.xls" Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\Excelfiles\file.xls" -- hth, SusanV "Alylia" <Alylia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Exchange 2003 additional mailboxes in Outlook
We just moved our mailboxes over from Exchange 2000 to 2003. Now administrators ( Domain_Admins ) cannot go into their outlook and add additional mailboxes. We get a message that states "Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened. The operation failed." What are some possible causes of the loss of privilege? Security looks like its okay for domain_admins. Thanks, Andrew By default, Domain admins are denied send as and receive as permissions, which should be preventing them from openning other mailboxes. Teo "Andrew Jones" wrote: ...