Google vs the new Windows Live Desktop Search (tool bar) and Outlook

a) Google finds everything and quickely
b) Google Desktop Search crashes Outlook 2003 when a manual "send &
recieve" is done with at least one HTTP account.

c) The new Windows Live Tool Bar Desktop Search (with Outlook
integration) is stable and has a nice "conversation" feature to follow
an email "thread".
d) The new Windows Desktop search fails to find email in Outlook

Has anyone else experienced these issues and / or have solutions?

Thank you

Try Copernic Desktop Search.
http://www.copernic.com/
I find it superior to both MS and Google

Regards
Mark Dormer

<paulnickell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> a) Google finds everything and quickely
> b) Google Desktop Search crashes Outlook 2003 when a manual "send &
> recieve" is done with at least one HTTP account.
>
> c) The new Windows Live Tool Bar Desktop Search (with Outlook
> integration) is stable and has a nice "conversation" feature to follow
> an email "thread".
> d) The new Windows Desktop search fails to find email in Outlook
>

> Has anyone else experienced these issues and / or have solutions?
>
> Thank you

0
markd6876 (12)
8/25/2006 9:36:17 AM
I just recently installed Windows Desktop Search after installing the beta
and it fails in several aspects of searching, including finding e-mails.  It
doesn't seem able to find certain contacts either.  I have tried to find a
way to force it to re-index but the methods suggested in the program help
sections are useless.

"paulnickell@gmail.com" wrote:

> a) Google finds everything and quickely
> b) Google Desktop Search crashes Outlook 2003 when a manual "send &
> recieve" is done with at least one HTTP account.
>
> c) The new Windows Live Tool Bar Desktop Search (with Outlook
> integration) is stable and has a nice "conversation" feature to follow
> an email "thread".
> d) The new Windows Desktop search fails to find email in Outlook
>

> Has anyone else experienced these issues and / or have solutions?
>
> Thank you

0
lincoln1 (1)
8/26/2006 3:37:02 AM
Did you install the one that just came out this week, Wednesday I believe?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, lincoln@nucoindustries.com asked:

| I just recently installed Windows Desktop Search after installing the
| beta and it fails in several aspects of searching, including finding
| e-mails.  It doesn't seem able to find certain contacts either.  I
| have tried to find a way to force it to re-index but the methods
| suggested in the program help sections are useless.
|
| "paulnickell@gmail.com" wrote:
|
|| a) Google finds everything and quickely
|| b) Google Desktop Search crashes Outlook 2003 when a manual "send &
|| recieve" is done with at least one HTTP account.
|| c) The new Windows Live Tool Bar Desktop Search (with Outlook
|| integration) is stable and has a nice "conversation" feature to
|| follow an email "thread".
|| d) The new Windows Desktop search fails to find email in Outlook
|| Has anyone else experienced these issues and / or have solutions?
|| Thank you

0
MillyS (3228)

Expanding folders when new messages arrive
I just converted to Outlook from Outlook Express and I am having difficulty finding some of the settings. I want to be able to be hear the new message tone, click on Outlook and where ever the new message are the folders will be expanded. Or maybe I should explain it like this, when I hear a new message sound, I go to the inbox and it's not there, but in one of the sub folders and I have to click on each sub folder to find the new message. I have about 15 rules set up for when a particular person sends me an email it goes into a specific folder. Could this have anything to do with i...

windows mail cannot send email
i can't send email, but i can receive it Subject 'Re: Stony Brook ID#', Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 SIZE 104857600', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Advanced, then uncheck the SSL option. Your server does not support that option. =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "lizzie" <lizzie@di...

Outlook 2007 Mail Files
How can I move mail files from Applre Mail (OS 10.4) to Outlook 2007 Balloonmeister <Balloonmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I move mail files from Applre Mail (OS 10.4) to Outlook 2007 What mail client does the Mac use? In what format will it export files? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Aliases vs. accounts
We are an entity that has many service oriented accounts(accounts that do not directly go to a person but are forwarded to a person). I have been setting these up as full accounts within AD and exchange(2k3 on both). I am wondering if there is any advantage(beyond licensing)that would be gained from creating these as aliases under the persons account that is managing it. Then putting a rule within the local client to forward all messages from the alias to folders. Thanks Mike, Given Exchange is not licensed per mailbox, I don't think you're going to see a licensing benefit....

NEW IPHONE VIDEO PROJECTOR PROTOTYPE NOW AVAILABLE LIMITED EDITION
This is an exclusive gadget for iphone addict. Perfect gift for christmas only 1000 copy http://iphone-video-projector.com ...

Windows service with web service interface
Hi Friends, I want to design a windows service that also has web service interface. Any tips for that ? Thanks Ashish I think this is the wrong newsgroup for this type of question. You are better off finding a more appropriate newsgroup. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Ashish" <asdd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#nj3aTuXDHA.3232@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi Friends, > I want to design a windows service that also has web service interface. Any > tips for that ? > Thanks > Ashish > ...

Public vs. Shared Calendar
I do a video release schedule for my department as a shared calendar. Problem is, I need to versions of the calendar (due to sensitive data). Using an account with multiple shared calendars is difficult if not impossible. Besides allowing to create many shared/public calendars, what other advantages would a public folder (calendar) possess over a shared calendar? What do you mean by "a shared calendar"? To Outlook, a "shared calendar" = would be any calendar that has been shared, whether it's in a mailbox or = the Public Folders hierarchy. Those in Public Folders are...

Outlook 2003 email content missing, headers ok, HELP!
Running XP Pro and Outlook 2003, AVG and AntiVIR 6.0. Outlook was running fine and then all of a sudden, I'm still getting emails but the content is missing. I can see the header just fine but absolutely blank screen in the body. HELP! Thanks so much! lrunyan <latitudesllc@comcast.net> wrote: > Running XP Pro and Outlook 2003, AVG and AntiVIR 6.0. Outlook was > running fine and then all of a sudden, I'm still getting emails but > the content is missing. I can see the header just fine but absolutely > blank screen in the body. HELP! > Thanks so much! 1) You shou...

Dexterity
Hi, I am creating a window using dexterity. I dont want the user to be able to close the window even if he clicks the close Button, until a particular condition is satisfied. So,in the windows POST script, is there any function/command i could use to keep the window open till that condition is met?. I tried reject script, abort script, it dint work. It closes the window as soon as the user clicks the close button even though the condition was not satisfied . Is there a way i can do it? swetha Why not setup the window type as Modal? The Dex statement is: abort close; Best regards...

Here's what new in Microsoft CRM 1.2...
http://www.sonomapartners.com/articles/microsoft-crm-version12-whats-new.aspx We posted the information found in the MS CRM 1.2 help files...we'll post more info after we evaluate it for a few more weeks. Great Info Mike! One thing I'd add is that the Outlook Client was completly re-written in c# (vs. jscript in 1.0), and seems to be at least 2-3 times faster than before. I beleive the COMProxy is also gone (for those that discovered that it was about 10 times faster than the soap proxy). I haven't ported enough of our app to 1.2 yet to tell if the SOAP proxy is now fast enoug...

Windows Explorer Columns
Hi, The 'Date Modified' column doesn't appear on any of my folders. I add it, and when i browse away from that folder and return to it, it's disappeared again. How do i get every folder to show that column by default? Thanks, Albert A known Vista annoyance, already solved in Windows7. There're several solutions invlving Registry edit which sets your Template for a specific filetype to what you want, not to MS default - if you Google or Bing for it it should showuo in search results. Sorry I don't have exact URL at hand. it i I know it's f...

New version of Office for Mac.
Dear all: Do any of you know when the new version of Microsoft Office for the Macintosh is scheduled to be released ? An approximate date would be sufficient. Thank you in advance, Joseph Chamberlain Hello Joseph, Microsoft has given no clear indication other than "late 2007", so we are all just speculating here. Those who know when Office 2008 is coming out are not allowed to tell us. Those who tell us, don't know. Personally, I would guess at early 2008 -- but you never know how much effort Microsoft will put in to catch the pre-Christmas market. Cheers, Clive Hugg...

New pc
I've found allot of info on working with the two programs, but nothing on how I actually transfer my 2003 Word documents from my old pc to the new pc which has Word 2007. Do I have to have both programs on the new pc? I was hoping the documents themselves could be moved to the new pc and its 2007 Microsoft Word program. I'm a novice here and would appreciate any advice. -- M@Bowstring On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:40:01 -0800, M@Bowstring <MBowstring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've found allot of info on working with the two programs, but nothing on ho...

formula bar missing =
I am used to the formula bar having a SUM = Now using Excel 2002 I only see a fx. Clicking on this opens a window with way too many choices to just click = I have had no luck finding the = sign to customize the tool bar. Is there one? I just want to create a link between two worksheet cells Thanks for any help Not quite the same, but maybe you could drag the = icon to your favorite toolbar (directly above the formula bar). You can get to that = icon via: Tools|customize|Commands Tab|Insert Category. (about half way down for me.) susan wrote: > > I am used to the formula bar hav...

Parameters to search between years
Hi Everyone, Access 2003. I have a query that I have set up so the user can type in in a txtbox (in a form) the year (string) and the query workks great. This is my parameter: Like [Forms]![Search].[txtYyear] & "*" 1. I would like to include a criteria to search between two years in the same txtbx. Could you suggest me how to do it? 2.In the same query I have another parameter: Like [Forms]![Search].[txtTwn] & "*" This allow me to write only one word in a txtbx same form), but I would like to write two or three words.Could you help me? Your hel...

Cannot Insert Item into a task occasionally
Occasionally, our personnel are complaining that you the Insert -->Item button is grayed out on the menu, when you are in some tasks, and not others. Whay is this grayed out. Do we need to be in a field? I noticed that Insert-->Object is grayed out until you click into the body of the task. When clicking on the body of the task under certain tasks (we cannot see a difference between them) the Insert-->Item is still grayed out. Please advise. This is what I have seen- Not of the options are available if you are on the details tab as opposed to the task tab. And if on the...

Appearance of attachments in Entourage vs. Outlook

Server Mail retention with outlook
Hi, Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my messages on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough to know which are the new messages to download? sometimes, it downloads all my messages all over again.... Regards, MWGP Certainly you can but it is most likely your AV scanner that is causing = the problem with your multiple downloads of email, not Outlook. Disable = scanning email. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted ...

Win2003 reboots with new memory
I have just tried to increase the memory on our SBS2003 box but with 4Gb (4 * 1Gb PC3200 ECC) Win2003 fails to boot and just keeps rebooting with a BSOD. Although I haven't fully tested it yet I suspect the problems is a windows one rather than hardware. Any suggestions? Thanks, Nick uh? if it just started with the new memory? Then Memory? Download Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ And Run If its not memory then restore system state from a backup Russ -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Small Business Server/Computer Suppo...

Outlook 2002 prevents access to hotmail account
I have 2 hotmail accounts and in the last couple of weeks, my computer automatically routes me to only one account - even when going directly through the MSN site. I have been unable to troubleshoot this through email accounts in Outlook and need to get to the both sets of email. Thanks, BD "BD" <inflexionstrategies@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:003901c35064$ee6d0660$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have 2 hotmail accounts and in the last couple of > weeks, my computer automatically routes me to only one > account - even when going directly through the MSN site. &...

Project Reports: Actual vs. Budget
Has anyone found a project report that will print my Budgeted numbers vs. actual? I can't believe they don't have one included in Dynamics without having to create one in Crystal. 3 months ago I was running DOS!! and the reports I had for project (or job cost) then were 1000 times better than Dynamics. Quite frankly, I'm shocked. So, transitioning to Dynamics has been an issue for me for project. Anyone that has advice to finding such a report would greatly be appreciated. Carmie test reply in outlook "Carmie" <Carmie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

pgp error when opening Outlook 2000 Pro.
Please help. I have a computer that is running Windows XP Home and MSOffice 2000 Pro. Anyhow, when I try to open Outlook, it gives an error "pgpexch.dll" and says that virtual memory may be set to low. I don't know if the problem is with the file or with the virtual memory settings. I've gone into the virtual memory and set it to let Windows manage it but I still get the error. What can I do? Thanks in advance for your help. Sincerely, Rodney Brown ...

how to create a new sheet in the workbook?
danial Do you mean via the Insert menu, Worksheet or via VBA code Sheets.Ad -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com And a couple more manual ways: Rightclick on the worksheet tab and select Insert. Then choose the type of sheet you want to insert. Tools|Customize|Commands Tab|Insert Category drag the "insert worksheet" icon to your favorite toolbar and click on it when you want a new worksheet (or two). danial wrote: -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Opening Outlook 2003 PST file in Outlook 2000
Hi there, I created a pst file and copied a lot of email into it, (for a guy here at work). He has Outlook 2000. So when I gave him the .pst file when it was done, and he tries to open it in Outlook 2000, it says that the .pst file is incompatable with that Personal File Information Service. Is there a change in the .pst file format between Outlook 2000 .pst and Outlook 2003 .pst? If so, is there some way for me to export the 2003 .pst to a 2000 .pst compatable format? Regards, -- David Reed Nework Administrator dreed@no.spam.please.srdcorp.com Yes, outlook 2003 now supports a large...

Cannot Resize Workbook window
Have been working with the same Excel workbook for months. Today, when I tried to open it, I found I could not maximize or resize the workbook. The window control buttons (minimize, max, close) have disappeared and I cannot get the resize arrow to appear so that I can resize it manually. The workbook/worksheet is NOT protected and Full Screen view is NOT on. Does anyone have any ideas other ideas on how I can restore resize functionality to the workbook? Mary A temp measure is to right click in the title bar at the top. This will give Max/Min/Restore options. May not c...