Ghost folders

I had two problems while importing my Outlook Express data to Outlook
2003...

The first import failed and killed Outlook when the pst file size got
to more than 2gb... so I created a new Personal Folders file of the new
2003 Unicode type, pointed my Outlook accounts to use it, then redid
the import.

1) During the import, in a number of my imported folders, I got
hundreds of "undeliverable in the subject line" messages that never
existed in my old Express folders.  ANy idea why this would happen?

2) I not have everything working fine with my main Unicode Personal
Folders file... but after all the fiddling I did at teh .pst file
llevel and within Outlook, I have 2 additional "Personal Folders"
entries in the folder tree in Outlook.  The .pst files they used to
point to are long gone... and if I try to Close these entried from
within Outlook I get an error saying "Object not found"...  which I am
guessing is attributed to the .pst file they used to point to not being
there any more.  Question is, how can I get these ghost folders
removed?  Where are these entries stored?

Jeff

From what I've read, the process of copying Outlook Express data to Outlook
seems to work better if you export from the OE side rather than importing
from the Outlook side.  I haven't heard of that particular issue with
"undeliverable", though.

For your second question, see if the information on the following page
helps:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/oltrble.htm#disconnectpst

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:jscozz.xme6a@outlookforum.com,
jscozz wrote:

> I had two problems while importing my Outlook Express data to Outlook
> 2003...
>
> The first import failed and killed Outlook when the pst file size got
> to more than 2gb... so I created a new Personal Folders file of the
> new 2003 Unicode type, pointed my Outlook accounts to use it, then
> redid the import.
>
> 1) During the import, in a number of my imported folders, I got
> hundreds of "undeliverable in the subject line" messages that never
> existed in my old Express folders.  ANy idea why this would happen?
>
> 2) I not have everything working fine with my main Unicode Personal
> Folders file... but after all the fiddling I did at teh .pst file
> llevel and within Outlook, I have 2 additional "Personal Folders"
> entries in the folder tree in Outlook.  The .pst files they used to
> point to are long gone... and if I try to Close these entried from
> within Outlook I get an error saying "Object not found"...  which I am
> guessing is attributed to the .pst file they used to point to not
> being there any more.  Question is, how can I get these ghost folders
> removed?  Where are these entries stored?

> Jeff

> ~~View and post usenet messages directly from
> http://www.ExcelForum.com/

Filtering mail into folders
How do you filter mail into folders so they dont just go to inbox On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:39:04 -0700, sasquatchofgy wrote: > How do you filter mail into folders so they dont just go to inbox Unless your account is POP3, you can't. Otherwise, just use message rules. -- Norman ~Oh Lord, why have you come ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum ...

2003: Folder Vanished from PST
The victim is a home (POP) installation of Outlook 2003 managing five separate email addresses. I upgraded from Outlook 2000 a couple weeks ago without incident. Last night I tried to drag a message from the inbox to my main folder, as the existing rules didn't route this particular message. The message wouldn't move over. I clicked on the folder in question, and nothing happened. I took down Outlook and restarted it. The folder in question was gone. I ran ScanPST, which found a few minor errors. This didn't help the situation. I found that various rules, and SpamBayes...

Cannot move some emial to folders?
Recently, when I attempt to move some emails from my inbox to a folder I get a "An unknown error has occured". This just started. Then the message, " The selected messages(s) could not be moved. An error has occured. What gives? Thanks! Rick Hi Rick, We recently had a similiar problem with Outlook Express, no error code but we just could not move or delete messasges. Turned out to be bloated deleted items folder. After emptying deleted items fodler and compacting functionality returned to normal. Hope this points you in the right direction. "rickyrick1956&q...

Personal Folder Backup #2
We now have the new Office 2003 running on a Windows 2000 Professional machine and I am trying to backup Personal Folders (.pst) files. I have done this before with the previous version of this tool but this time it is only working under the Administrator sign-on. I have downloaded and installed the pfbackup.exe file as per the instructions. When I open Outlook while signed on as the Administrator everything is peachy. I then sign-on as one of the other users on this PC and there is no Backup listed under File. In previous versions of this tool, I had to go into Tools, Options, ...

I can't delete a pst folder-error message:an object could not be f
I exported a pst file and removed the e-mails that were exported I added the pst file later to find something I noticed an e-mail in the wrong folder and moved it to the correct location (not a good idea) now when I want to close the pst file I cannot - I get the error message "The operation failed. An object could not be found." I don't know which e-mail(s) I moved so I cannot move them back Is there any to delete the pst file? If you have any problems with pst file, you can try a tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo version at http://w...

Sent mail saves in inbox folders
This is very strange and just started today. I have several folders set up for various email accounts. I have rules set up to filter the mail to right folder. All of a sudden today, Outlook, instead of saving sent items from one of the mailboxes is saving them in the folder for that account. I can't figure out what I did to change anything but this is a bit annoying. Not just the behavior, but not being able to figure out what I did. Any advice? TIA, Bob ...

Ghosts?
Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? It jumps up and down, but I see it with WinMail in 7. xp.basics is even worse. "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? Yes. 25 at the moment, with hacked WM in Win 7....

Outlook: folders cannot be opened
I have just installed Outlookfolders product as found at www.outlookfolders.com. Server setup was fine. I installed it on my workstation also. Using Outlook beta 2. After fiddling with some settings, I got an error. Now, when I try to open Outlook 2003 beta, I get the following message: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists. Well, I am the administrator! Looks like it is trying to find folders on the Server and cannot see them. But ...

WEIRD FOLDER
I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? Thanks Paul "PAUL" <pkoukos@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:992BA7CD-6A82-46CD-9876-B7F69E8401D3@microsoft.com... > I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: > {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} > > Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? > > Thanks > > Paul It's most likely a temp folder used by installing of some program. It should b...

Ghosted attachments with Windows 98
How do I change settings to be able to open attachments. The attachments appear to be ghosted. Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. For more information, see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - ...

Error moving/copying messages from 1 folder to another
The following seems to apply to many mailboxes in our Exchange 5.5 environment. I am tryinig to move messages from one folder to another and I constantly get the following message: "Can't copy the items. Some items could not be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied." I have tried to move these using the exchange admin account. I have tried different versions of Outlook (2000 / 2002). I have tried to copy/move to different folders. I have noticed that I can do one message at a time, but only if I open the message first. Obviously I can do this for th...

Import personal folders from OE
Can I import the personal folders and all the messages in them from OE 2003 to Outlook? "Jane" wrote: > Can I import the personal folders and all the messages in them from OE 2003 > to Outlook? yep...look here http://www.janvaane.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=75 Jane, you wrote on Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:30:01 -0700: > Can I import the personal folders and all the messages in them from OE 2003 > to Outlook? Do not import from Outlook. Instead export the mails from OE to Outlook. In OE go to File | Export | Mails Reason: W...

OWA & public folders
Hi, Is there anyway to view public folders through OWA? Thanks. Yes - but in E5x you can't view public calendar/task/contact folders. E2000/2003 let you view them. tj woods wrote: > Hi, > Is there anyway to view public folders through OWA? > Thanks. Which version of OWA are you using? If Exchange 2000 change your view by clicking the Folders button at the top of the Outlook shortcuts, you will then see the Folder List much like you do using the Outlook client. "tj woods" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cb4401c469ad$ad540...

Labels for file folders
I need to print out company name labels to put on hanging file folders(inside the stick up plastic). Should I use something in excel, or word? I am not sure what the most proficient way to do this is. I use Windows XP. Any input would help!! Thanks! Word would seem more appropriate.Look up labels in help. -- HTH RP "Shelleigh B." <Shelleigh B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB174E05-3A5A-4792-8DB3-04E0A204B5CC@microsoft.com... > I need to print out company name labels to put on hanging file folders(inside > the stick up plastic). Should I use so...

Outlook 2003 Folder & Favorite-folder synch/update problems
I've been using Outlook since 1998 and I make my living at software support, so I'm usually hard to stump, but I'm sucking wind on this one. The problems below all started on the remote Outlook copy, so I have to imagine they're connected to the remote setup and OST files. But I've been through the settings and tried to re-synch, cleared the folder store and recreated it, etc., and nothing seems to correct the problems. Can anyone suggest a systematic way to diagnose and fix what's happening? Here's the story: I'm running Outlook 2003 (all current patches: ...

Synchronising public folder to personal folders
Is there a built in function to do this or any code that can be written? I have tried a number of 3rd party products and all seem a bit "rubbish". Thank you. Richard On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:50:23 -0000, "Richard Edwards" <do.not.use@do.not.use.com> wrote: >Is there a built in function to do this or any code that can be written? > >I have tried a number of 3rd party products and all seem a bit "rubbish". > >Thank you. > >Richard > www.diditbetter.com would do you a solution for this and isn't rubbish. Hi Richard, > Is...

Folder ordering in Outlook
I have a number of mailboxes displayed in my folder list. Before upgrading to Exchange 2003 from Exchange 5.5 they were all diaplayed as mailbox - mailbox name. Now if I add any new ones or remove and re-add any the display is just mailbox name. I cannot rename them because the option is greyed out. This is a pain because the mailboxes were all in the same place on my folder list. Now they can appear anywhere depending on their name. Anybody else have this problem and/or a fix? ...

Public Folders not visible in Outlook 2000
Hi Folks; I'm using Exchange 2000 and I have about 65,000 public folders (a newsfeed) but I can't access them in Outlook 2000. I've tried everything but I'm not fluent in Exchange anymore so it's probably something simple. Any takers? Thanks; Marvin On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:28:48 -0800, "Marvin Miller" <sales@real.com> wrote: >Hi Folks; > >I'm using Exchange 2000 and I have about 65,000 public folders (a newsfeed) >but I can't access them in Outlook 2000. I've tried everything but I'm not >fluent in Exchange anymore so it&...

AutoSynchronizing Files/Folders
I would like to synchronize Outlook and possibly other files between my Notebook computer and my Desktop computer which are running the identical software. I would like it to work like ActiveSync v3.7 to a PDA. Maybe even use ActiveSync. Both computers have TCP/IP and the normal ports (USB, serial, parallel). Any and all suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Hi Captain, Have a look at www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm or at my signature for a powerful tool. -- Thomas Wetzel www.synchpst.com Synchronize and backup Outlook Thank you for the help. Since we don't ha...

"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts
Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once. Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files. Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal ghosts. They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no names and no properties that I can see. When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened." (along with other messages such a...

Somehow I moved my inbox into another folder
Somehow I moved my inbox into deleted folder and now I can't move it back. My outlook is EXCH.. ...

sharing exchsrvr folder
Is there a problem or issue with sharing the exchsrvr folder? If it is common to do this, what permission should you add to the folder? The reason for asking is we installed a new antivirus program and some emails are not leaving the exchange server. The software vendor instructed me to add the exchsrvr folder to the "known good" locations. The folder is not shared and not sure how else to do it. Thanks! On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:18:01 -0800, pete0085 <pete0085@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a problem or issue with sharing the exchsrvr folder...

Ghost typing
Windows XP running on an older Dell PC. Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior. When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar, notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse. I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet that has worked fl...

Outlook Folders #9
I have three top level folders in Outlook, Personal, Archive and Business Contact Manager. Is there a way to create more of this type of folder or am I limited to creating folders within these? TIA You can create multiple Personal Folders files. From Outlook's file menu choose New, Outlook Data File. -- Patricia Cardoza DiGiacomo Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza http://www.cardozas...

OWA
Hi, I'd like to create, through OWA, a meeting request in a public folder. It appears that the "invite attendees" button is disabled. I've read that it was a limitation of Exchange 2000 but, as I have Exchange Server 2003, shouldn't this feature be enabled ? Thanks, Fabien A meeting request in a public folder? How would that be used? some features of OWA improved in 2003, but not as much around public folders "Fabien Majurel" <Fabien Majurel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A9010C1-1E9D-404C-AB32-B4FB5A95A47B@microsoft.com... &g...