Forward from provider or forward from Hotmail?

I currently have my Comcast and Gmail forwarded to my Live account though my
Live account. It is very slow to get email this way on my computer through
Outlook. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else not do this and have
their mail forwarded from their provider to Hotmail, rather than having
Hotmail handle the forward? Questions? Answers? Opinions?

Thank you very much kind people,

MHL

0
MHL

MHL wrote:

> I currently have my Comcast and Gmail forwarded to my Live account though my
> Live account. It is very slow to get email this way on my computer through
> Outlook. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else not do this and have
> their mail forwarded from their provider to Hotmail, rather than having
> Hotmail handle the forward? Questions? Answers? Opinions?

How can Outlook be slow?  It will poll at the intervals you configured
for each e-mail account defined with it (10 minutes, or longer is
recommended; under 5 minutes is considered abusive).  Outlook can only
retrieve e-mails when they actually exist in the mailboxes you have it
query.  Whatever you do on the server side has no effect on Outlook or
your bandwidth.  So what do you really mean by "slow"?

When you configure a server-side option in your account to forward its
e-mail to elsewhere, you do not get to configure WHEN that forwarding
occurs.  It might be immediate.  It might get batched up and it will be
forwarded at some interval (which the e-mail provider won't tell you).
When the first mail server (which is NOT a relay) gets the message,
there will be a delay before it actually gets around to forwarding it to
the specified target mail server.

When forwarding, that mail server runs into the same problems it has for
any other mail server.  The receiving mail server could be busy so it
rejects connections.  The route between the servers could be so flooded
that transfer is too slow which causes timeouts.  So the sending mail
server has to retry sending the same message.  Could be a route is down
between sending and receiving mail hosts so e-mails cannot be sent until
the routing tables are updated (they really aren't that dynamic) or the
problematic host in the current route becomes responsive again.

You are chaining together the mail servers.  That means for N servers in
the chain that every problem that is exerienced by 1 mail server could
be multipled N times.  Some users like to use their Gmail account as a
collector for their other accounts because Gmail's spam filtering is
better than at their other e-mail providers.  I did that for awhile, too
(except Gmail can incur up to a 1-hour delay when it POPs other
accounts).  However, the more mail servers that are involved in the
transfer then the more likely problems will arise.  You're also talking
about mail servers that were not specifically designed to be relay
servers.

Also remember that free accounts require you to login.  E-mails arriving
into their mailbox are NOT logging into your account to deposit their
e-mails there.  Enabling forwarding in an account does NOT login into
that account to perform that action.  If you don't log into your freebie
account, eventually it may expire due to being idle too long.  You might
get hundreds of e-mails per week through that freebie account but the
traffic doesn't count against the idle time which is measured based on
the last login.  If you configure your Gmail account to forward its
e-mails, you are not logging into your Gmail account.  That means it
will expire and go dead.  Forwarding means the account doing the
forwarding might go dead because it was idle too long (i.e., no logins).

Alas, Hotmail is limited regarding forwarding and retrieving.  For free
Hotmail accounts, you can only forward your e-mails to another
Live/Hotmail account.  For retrieving, you can add other POP accounts
but all that does is add them to Hotmail's webmail page where you can
click on them to retrieve your e-mails from those other accounts.
Hotmail will not schedule periodic polls of those other accounts (to
keep them alive by having to login to do the POP access).  You cannot
use a free Hotmail account to keep alive other freebie accounts.

Gmail does let you POP from other accounts, and that means it has to log
into those accounts, and that means those other accounts will stay
alive.  The caveat with using Gmail to POP the other accounts and keep
them alive is that Gmail will slowly increase its poll interval when it
finds no new items to retrieve from those other POP accounts.  Gmail
starts out polling at 5-minute intervals.  If no new e-mails are found,
Gmail will increment the mail poll interval.  Eventually that mail poll
interval will inch up to a maximum of 1 hour until Gmail eventually sees
a new e-mail from the POP'ed account.  For example, you might register
at a forum site, they send a confirmation e-mail needed to complete that
registration (by clicking on a URL in that e-mail, but the account you
gave isn't polled by you but instead by Gmail and it could be an hour
before you get that confirmation e-mail for something you want to do
right now.  So you could use Gmail to POP the other accounts to keep
them alive but there could be a long delay in delivery from those other
accounts plus you will have configure your local e-mail client to poll
your Gmail account to keep that one alive.

I can see using Gmail as a collector account due to its good spam
filtering.  Hotmail uses Microsoft's SmartScreen and Symantec's
Brightmail spam filters which have historically not been as effective as
Gmail's filter.  It is unclear if you are trying to meld multiple spam
filters together from multiple e-mail providers or merely using one
account as a collector for multiple accounts (but then why do you need
to do that since your e-mail client can poll all those same accounts)?

Gmail accounts are free so they will expire if left idle too long
(measured from the last login).  You never did bother to identify if you
are using free or paid Live/Hotmail accounts.
0
V4521 (722)
10/15/2009 6:29:17 AM
"MHL" <booyakasha at mac dot com> wrote in message

>I currently have my Comcast and Gmail forwarded to my Live account though my
>Live account. It is very slow to get email this way on my computer through
>Outlook. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else not do this and have
>their mail forwarded from their provider to Hotmail, rather than having
>Hotmail handle the forward? Questions? Answers? Opinions?

I'm curious why you do this and not simply access all three mailboxes from
Outlook itself.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
10/15/2009 1:14:42 PM
Wow. Ok, let me rephrase this:

Using Window Live to forward mail from other providers is slow.

Is it faster using other providers first to fwd to Windows Live?

Guess it must be...I'll have to try it to see.

Thank you very much, but you read Way too much into this...I'm getting that
a lot lately...hmmm

MHL

VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
> [...]
> them alive but there could be a long delay in delivery from those other
> accounts plus you will have configure your local e-mail client to poll
> your Gmail account to keep that one alive.
>
> I can see using Gmail as a collector account due to its good spam
> filtering.  Hotmail uses Microsoft's SmartScreen and Symantec's
> Brightmail spam filters which have historically not been as effective as
> Gmail's filter.  It is unclear if you are trying to meld multiple spam
> filters together from multiple e-mail providers or merely using one
> account as a collector for multiple accounts (but then why do you need
> to do that since your e-mail client can poll all those same accounts)?
>
> Gmail accounts are free so they will expire if left idle too long
> (measured from the last login).  You never did bother to identify if you
> are using free or paid Live/Hotmail accounts.

10/16/2009 6:21:55 AM
Good question, but not the answer I'm looking for.

I did it because I could. I refer you to the original email.

MHL

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "MHL" <booyakasha at mac dot com> wrote in message
>
>>I currently have my Comcast and Gmail forwarded to my Live account though
>>my Live account. It is very slow to get email this way on my computer
>>through Outlook. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else not do this
>>and have their mail forwarded from their provider to Hotmail, rather than
>>having Hotmail handle the forward? Questions? Answers? Opinions?
>
> I'm curious why you do this and not simply access all three mailboxes from
> Outlook itself.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
MHL
10/16/2009 6:24:21 AM

> I did it because I could. I refer you to the original email.

I read the original mail and there's no reasoning in it.  What you wish to do
seems less-than-efficient to me and prevents Outlook from being able to
determine the appropriate reply address automatically when you reply.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
10/16/2009 12:23:34 PM
MHL wrote:

> Using Window Live to forward mail from other providers is slow.

Don't know if paid accounts are different.  For free Hotmail accounts,
you can only forward to other Live/Hotmail domains (i.e., Microsoft
allows you to relay your e-mails inside their mail organization, not
outside of it).

If, in non-Hotmail accounts, you are forwarding their e-mails *to* your
Hotmail account, how long before that forwarding occurs depends entirely
on the sending mail service.  Without knowing your actual setup, I'll
make one up as an example.

AccountISP = Your e-mail account at your ISP.  Forwards to Hotmail.
AccountHotmail = Your Windows Live Hotmail account

You cannot configure AccountHotmail to forward to AccountISP.  It's not
an available option in free Hotmail accounts.

If you configure AccountISP to forward to your AccountHotmail, how long
before a new e-mail that arrives at AccountISP then shows up at
AccountHotmail depends on how fast is the turnaround at AccountISP.  It
is likely AccountISP is just a normal e-mail send/receive service and
not specifically an e-mail relaying service.  They are designed to
received e-mails that get deposited into a mailbox and sit there waiting
for you to poll that mailbox.  Their forwarding feature means they grab
e-mails that are bound for your mailbox and reroute them for sending but
this could get batched up along with perhaps having lower priority.  You
would have to discuss with AccountISP how fast is their turnaround for
when they receive an e-mail to when they then later forward it.  This
presumes that whomever you can contact at your ISP can actually find out
how their mail servers are configured.

You can look at the Received headers to see:
- The Date field in the e-mail.  This is *data* added inside the message
  by the sender's e-mail client and may not reflect when they actually
  sent that e-mail.
- When the sender's e-mail was accepted by the sender's mail host.
- When your ISP's mail host received that e-mail from the sender's mail
  host.
- When the e-mail was received by Hotmail's mail host from your ISP's
  mail host.
Then you can tell where the delay in delivery might exist.  By tracing
back through the Received headers, in top-down order (your receiving
account back to the sender), you can see what are their timestamps and
through what mail hosts that e-mail got routed.

> Is it faster using other providers first to fwd to Windows Live?

You don't have a choice.  Free Hotmail accounts will not forward to
"other providers" (i.e., non-Live mail hosts).

  other providers <--XXXX-- forwarding <---XXXX--- Hotmail

Free Hotmail accounts will only forward to other Live/Hotmail domains.

  Hotmail ---> forward ---> Hotmail

The only forwarding direction you have between "other providers" and
Hotmail is:

  other providers ---> forward ---> Hotmail

Again, look at the Received headers in the e-mail that arrives in your
Hotmail account which got forwarded to there by your other provider.
That will show where are the delays.

Unless the other provider is actually a relaying service (which
immediately forwards e-mails), forwarding performed at an end-point
e-mail service provider will probably incur a delay to batch up those
forwarded e-mails.  From a trial back many years ago of an e-mail
provider (name withheld) that I no longer use, they batched up their
forwarded e-mails and sent that batch once per hour.  Don't know how
they perform now, though.  They weren't designed to be an e-mail
relaying service but rather an end-point service to where you received
and from where you retrieved your e-mails.

Also note that if you reply to forwarded e-mails that you will be
divulging the account from which you send, not the original account from
which you forwarded that e-mail.  If you have AccountISP forward your
e-mails to AccountHotmail, your Hotmail account is shown in the headers
when you reply to that e-mail, not your AccountISP.  So the senders will
see that they sent to one domain but replies come from a different
domain.  Due to e-mail phishing and spoofing, those senders may not
trust your replies.  They sent to JohnDoe@yourisp.com but got a reply
from jd.associates@hotmail.com.  Do those senders who know you at your
e-mail identity at your ISP also know your e-mail identity at Hotmail?
You can try to lie by setting the From (and Reply-To) fields in your
e-mail client to point at your ISP's account but the headers in your
sent e-mail will show that it instead came from your Hotmail account.
If you sent e-mail to mycontact@mybank.com but got a response from
unknown@otherdomain.com, would you trust that reply?

Forwarding is not the same as relaying.  The forwarded e-mail will show
the headers added by the sender's mail host and the forwarding mail
host's headers.  If you ever forward that forwarded e-mail, like when
replying to a sender but adding the original e-mail as an attachment,
those recipients can see you are forwarding e-mails through your ISP to
your Hotmail account (and wonder why you are hiding behind a forwarding
service).  Relaying services don't modify the headers.  They are
transparent.  So the e-mail you receive in your Hotmail account would
never show that it went through the relaying service.  ISPs and e-mail
providers may provide a forwarding service but they are not a relaying
service.  Some relaying services will modify the headers so any replies
you make to those relayed e-mails will go back through the relaying
service.  The relaying service replaces the headers with their own, so
the sender that sent you an e-mail at the relay domain will get a reply
from you that is also showing it came from that relay domain.  The
sender won't alert that the sent one place but got a reply from
somewhere else.
0
V4521 (722)

Forward from provider or forward from Hotmail?
I currently have my Comcast and Gmail forwarded to my Live account though my Live account. It is very slow to get email this way on my computer through Outlook. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else not do this and have their mail forwarded from their provider to Hotmail, rather than having Hotmail handle the forward? Questions? Answers? Opinions? Thank you very much kind people, MHL MHL wrote: > I currently have my Comcast and Gmail forwarded to my Live account though my > Live account. It is very slow to get email this way on my computer through > Outlook. Does anyo...

[HELP] Problems forwarding NDR reports to a Public Folder
I have a problem with Non Delivery Reports that tries to be sento topublic folder with mailbox, but only in a special condition. I think it is a permission problem, and I would have an help to solve it. This is the scenario: There are some USER MAILBOX, for example xxx@domain.com, for which I have set-up a *forward* to the address of a PUBLIC FOLDER with a mailbox called xxx1@domain.com. The Client Permissions in this public forder are: Default: contributor Anonymous: contributor Administrator: owner If user xxx@domain.com sends a mail to an existing server (for example hotmail), but to an...

.forwards
When we used pine email we could easily set it up to send a copy of ALL emails received to another address automatically. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to do this in Outlook. For more explanation - our students are assigned email addresses like abc1234@ourschool.edu. Many would rather use their yahoo or hotmail account. They want ALL of their mail sent on to the other account. What directions do I give to them to make that happen? Thanks so much AC Outlook is a client, not a mail server. You'd need to set this up on your server, if you've really decided that this is wh...

forwarding emails between accounts in same AD Forest?
I am trying to setup a forwrding address for a user to forward to another mailbox of theirs which is in a different domain but same forest. I am selecting the account to forward to in the forward to box in the delivery options window in their AD account. But I am geting this error: A referral was returned from the server Facility: LDAP Provider ID no: 8007202b Microsoft Active Cirectory - Exchange Extension Any have any ideas on ways around this. Many thanks Does the account you're using to make this delegation have sufficient rights in the other domain to look up the alternate recip...

Forward Unopened messages?
I'm trying to cut down spam and don't want to open any spam emails. The FTC has an email address (uce@ftc.govsite) where you can forward spam emails that don't follow the regs or don't have opt-out options however when I forward the message Outlook opens it. Is there a way to forward the offending spam email as an attachment without opening it? Thanks Ted Ted <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to cut down spam and don't want to open any > spam emails. The FTC has an email address > (uce@ftc.govsite) where you can forward...

email sends YES, reply NO, forward NO
Subject: Re: NO forward or reply in outlookXP From: "Eileen" > Sent: 7/13/2003 2:40:08 PM My account server properties ARE set to authenticate. I CAN send email. What I CANNOT DO is REPLY to or FORWARD and email. The error pops up immediately upon clicking the SEND button...before it leaves my PC (or so it seems) >-----Original Message----- >Simple - you cannot send mail through a server to which you are not >connected "relaying denied." > >You need to set your account server properties to allow you to authenticate. > > >-- >...

Signature not displayed in reply/forward
I've tried to search for a similar answers but can't quite find anything. I've set up an HTML signature for new emails, forwards and replies. All works fine until an inbound RTF email arrives and the signature doesn't appear in reply or forward automatically. I've checked the settings, I even tried the internet format conversion to HTML format for replies to inbound RTF. In message format I have both 'Use in MS Office Word 2003 to edit email messages' and 'Use MS Office Word 2003 to read RT email messages' are ticked. It's happening ...

PtReceiveNBL how to forward packet.
Hi, I'm had IM driver with 2 NICs. How do I forward a packet in PtReceiveNBL? What I'm trying to do is: If I receive a packet, I do checked if this packet for me I indicated it up. If it not for me I forward the packet on to another node. What I have tried and didn't work: duplicate the packet and used NdisSendNetBufferLists(pAdapt->BindingHandle, CurrentNetBufferList, PortNumber, SendFlags); to forward this packet. Can someone help me to get this wo...

Outlook 2003
Hi, I have an Outlook 2003 rule that is set to forward messages to another account and move them to a specific folder. All the messages are moved correctly, but many of them aren't forwarded. The ones that are forwarded show up in sent items, so I can clearly see that the rule is not even attempting to send them (i.e. the message wasn't sent but lost in transit due to server/connection issues). Is this a known issue? Is there any way to fix it? Cheers, Chris. ...

how to forward mail to correct domains and Exch servers,
We have an NT 4 domain (call it "NT4") and a new AD domain (call it "AD"). Domain NT4 is NT 4 with Exchange 5.5. New domain AD with Windows 2003 and very soon Exchange 2003. We have one Internet domain name ("abc.com"). How can we have mail sent to user@abc.com get routed to the correct Exchange server on the correct domain? Currently our firewall passes all SMTP traffic to the NT4 Exchange 5.5 server. I'm thinking the answer is the ADC, but will this work between two different (but trusting) domains? If this is the answer, does the ADC end up "ins...

marking forwarded emails as forwarded
I have an exchange 5.5 server that forwards emails for some users to their aol or other internet accounts. Occasionally spam emails also get forwarded to these third party accounts. This of course results in the user marking them as spam and then our company's email server getting flagged or blacklisted as a spammer to AOL or other email servers. Is there a way to setup forwarding in Exchange 5.5 to mark the subject as a forwarded message, ie. "FORWARED from xyz corporation" so that people would know not to mark it as spam? ...

mikeemmert11@hotmail.com
I am having problems in a class here which the teacher can't seem to help with. I was making a bar graph, and the A column had East, West, North, and South. The one row had 1st Qtr, 2nd Qtr, 3rd Qtr, 4th Qtr. The bars represent the data. In Chart Wizard, Step 2 of 4, chart source data, there are two check boxes marked, "series in:" and the boxes are marked "rows" and "columns". Here's where I get lost. Which way do you read the data? You can learn a lot by screwing up. Save your workbook (just in case you really screw up). Try it one way. If...

Forwarded e-mail
When I receive an e-mail forwarded from aol, any message from the sender is there, but the forwarded message is not. Example, Joe sends an e-mail to Susan, who writes a brief note and forwards it to me. I see Susan's note, but not Joe's original message. I think this is more an AOL issue than Microsoft. >-----Original Message----- >When I receive an e-mail forwarded from aol, any message >from the sender is there, but the forwarded message is >not. Example, Joe sends an e-mail to Susan, who writes a >brief note and forwards it to me. I see Susan's note, ...

display email forwarding
Running exchange 2003 sp2. How can i turn off the email forwarding banner that appears in outlook 2003? a user is complaing that they dont want to see the note in outlook that tells them when they forwarded on the email. Thanks On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:41:46 -0800, "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Running exchange 2003 sp2. How can i turn off the email forwarding banner >that appears in outlook 2003? > >a user is complaing that they dont want to see the note in outlook that >tells them when they forwarded on the email. > >Thanks And d...

Prevent forwarded messages
Can I stop a message in Outlook XP from being forwarded on? On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:54:40 -0700, "Laura" <laura_coogan@sind.com> wrote: >Can I stop a message in Outlook XP from being forwarded on? No. -- Rich Cervenka Chicago, Illinois, USA ...

Mail not forwarding
Outlook 2002 on Windows 2000 not Exchange Rules Wizard set to forward if recipient is in To or Cc field. Some email is forwarded and other not. Curious because in one case same person replied to the same email twice and the the first forwarded and the second didn't. Confirmed the details in the header, the mail should have forwarded. Any help greatly appreciated... ...

Replay and Forward Stationary
I need to use my custom stationary when replying and forwarding massages, I have no problem with new messages but I can only seem to use the stationary if I attach the original message to a new message. Any help much appreciated. Gedster Gedster <Gedster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to use my custom stationary when replying and forwarding > massages, I have no problem with new messages but I can only seem to > use the stationary if I attach the original message to a new message. Outlook always uses the format of the original message when replying or forward...

forward to smart host
i have exchange 2003 and i set the connector to forward to a smart host & restart the services .when i try to send email i can see in my FW that the exchange is still trying to send mail directly . what am i missing ? Jarom, What did you put in the smarthost box servername or ip address in square brackets ? Can you ping the smarthost from the Exchange server ? Regards Paul Ford "jarom" <jarom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43CEADB1-BE42-4492-A179-5F87945BDABD@microsoft.com... >i have exchange 2003 and i set the connector to forward to a smart ...

Outlook Rules
I have a rule that moves emails from 'bob@random.rnd' * to another folder. But my rule does not cope when the email comes in like "H.R.Department@random.rnd on behalf of bob@random.rnd" then the rule does not work anymore. How can I write a rule to cope with this sort of annoying email? * Email address has been changed to protect privacy ...

Disable the forwarding function (RMS?)
Hi, I want to preserve the confidentiality of an email so that the receipient (internal or external) of the email won't be able to forward the email to others. Is it doable? The Microsoft Right Management Service + Liquid Machines seem serving the purpose, but the deployment doesn't look straight forward. Anyone has the experience to share? Any alternatives? I know Lotus Notes has the similar function out of the box. Does MS Outlook provide this too? Thanks RMS can definitely add that capability to Outlook, which has nothing = like that built in. People I've talked to who...

outlook2003 IE7 B3 Hotmail plus and receiving emails
I have installed windows XP, IE 7 Beta 3 and Outlook 2003. I have an hotmail plus account and can send hotmail emails out of Outlook, but can not receive them. I find my send items in outlook and in my Hotmail account. What do I miss to also recieve emails on my hotmail account in outlook 2003? Thanks! Contact MSN support or the Hotmail web site for instructions. "Robert and Sabine" wrote: > I have installed windows XP, IE 7 Beta 3 and Outlook 2003. I have an hotmail > plus account and can send hotmail emails out of Outlook, but can not receive > them. I find my send...

Who should be your ideal shopping cart solution provider?
------------------------------------- The market is up for a definite revival. The eerie silence that prevailed earlier is now transforming to a crescendo of positive business-talks all across the marketplace. None other than Standard and Poors research analysts predicted that business, specifically online retailing, will come up with significant growth in 2010 boosting up sale-volumes across various market domains. So, if you are a retailer, it is the time to think beyond your brick-and-mortar store and for that, you need to acquire online retailing capabilities. A simple Google-sea...

Forwarding
I have a rule to forward messages based on, well based on whatever, its not important. What i want to do thought is have the first x number of lines and the last x number of lines removed from the email before its gets forwarded. In the rules wizard, ther is an option to run a script. Is that the solution, and if so, a quick pointer to where i can start that process would be helpful. If there is a better solution that'd be good too. Andy ...

Emails not forwarding to external address
We are migrating from Exch 5.5 to a Domino server. While the migration is in progress, we setup Custom Recipients on Exch to forward to the migrated users on Domino. To make it work, we set the IMS/connections/email domain to point to the Domino domain. Everything works fine for a few days, and then the incoming internet emails to Exch quit forwarding to the Domino users. What's weird is that the emails will eventually come through maybe 5 hours later, and all at the same time; as if Exchange is holding them for a long time and then delivering them. The last time this happened, we rebooted...

How do I forward email to external address
Hi Just installed SBS2003 and cannot find the option that I used to have in Exchange 5.5 where I could foward mail from internal addresses to an external(Internet) address Probably very simple but my brain is missing it THX Colin In Exchange 2000 and above Custom Recipient is now called a Contact and you create these in Active Directory Users and Computers, the Forwarder Option is on the Exchange General Tab (Delivery Options) within the Properties of the User "Colin C" <nospam.colinc@opalservices.co.uk> wrote in message news:uByeAVQXEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > ...