Flagged Items and AutoArchive

Outlook 2007

I have noticed recently that flagged items seem to cause an issue with the
AutoArchive feature.  It seems that when an item is flagged, or had been
flagged and is now marked as completed, that the item will not get archived.
At the bottom of each of my folders that are set to automatically archive
there is a collection of older items.  Today, for example, there were about
a dozen messages that should have been archived out of my Inbox, but it
looks like the archiving process stopped when it hit an item that was marked
as completed.  I can see why you would not want flagged items to auto
archive, but it seems like completed items should be archived.

Is there something that I am missing here?  Other than clearing the flags on
items before they reach archiving age, is there any other way to address
this issue?

--Tom

flagging changes the last modified date and archiving uses the last modified
date.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2007
>
> I have noticed recently that flagged items seem to cause an issue with the
> AutoArchive feature.  It seems that when an item is flagged, or had been
> flagged and is now marked as completed, that the item will not get
> archived. At the bottom of each of my folders that are set to
> automatically archive there is a collection of older items.  Today, for
> example, there were about a dozen messages that should have been archived
> out of my Inbox, but it looks like the archiving process stopped when it
> hit an item that was marked as completed.  I can see why you would not
> want flagged items to auto archive, but it seems like completed items
> should be archived.
>
> Is there something that I am missing here?  Other than clearing the flags
> on items before they reach archiving age, is there any other way to
> address this issue?
>
> --Tom

0
outlookmvp (5838)
5/27/2009 8:56:57 PM
That makes sense.  I'm going to do some testing and will try to post my
results on Friday.

--Tom

> flagging changes the last modified date and archiving uses the last
> modified date.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
>
> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook 2007
>>
>> I have noticed recently that flagged items seem to cause an issue with
>> the AutoArchive feature.  It seems that when an item is flagged, or had
>> been flagged and is now marked as completed, that the item will not get
>> archived. At the bottom of each of my folders that are set to
>> automatically archive there is a collection of older items.  Today, for
>> example, there were about a dozen messages that should have been archived
>> out of my Inbox, but it looks like the archiving process stopped when it
>> hit an item that was marked as completed.  I can see why you would not
>> want flagged items to auto archive, but it seems like completed items
>> should be archived.
>>
>> Is there something that I am missing here?  Other than clearing the flags
>> on items before they reach archiving age, is there any other way to
>> address this issue?
>>
>> --Tom

Okay, my test results are in.  I wanted to prove two things: 1) An item
flagged and an item marked as completed on the same day should archive on
the same day, and 2) An item flagged on the same day as the other test
items, but marked as completed the next day, should archive on a different
day as the other test items.  Here's what I did:

Monday
---------
* Setup a Test folder and set the auto-archiving option to 2 days.
* Sent myself 3 test messages.
* Moved the test messages into the Test folder.
* Flagged Test 1.
* Flagged Test 2 and then later marked it as completed.
* Flagged Test 3.

Tuesday
---------
* Marked Test 3 as completed (This should cause it to archive later than the
Test 1 and Test 2 items.

Wednesday
------------
* Checked the Test folder and found that none of the items had been
archived.

Thursday
----------
* Checked the Test folder and found that Test 1 and Test 2 had been archived
as expected.

Friday
-------
* Checked the Test folder and found that Test 3 had been archived as
expected.

Summary
----------
The results were pretty much as expected.  Some people may wonder why the
items appear to have archived at the 3-day mark instead of after 2 days,
which was the auto archive setting for the Test folder.  My theory is that
at the time the auto archive process ran on the second day after the last
modification, the items where not yet a full 48 hours old so they did not
archive at that time.  Instead, they archived at the first opportunity after
hitting the 48-hour mark, which would have been on the third day after the
last modification.

--Tom

> That makes sense.  I'm going to do some testing and will try to post my
> results on Friday.
>
> --Tom
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> flagging changes the last modified date and archiving uses the last
>> modified date.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>
>> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>> your
>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>>> Outlook 2007
>>>
>>> I have noticed recently that flagged items seem to cause an issue with
>>> the AutoArchive feature.  It seems that when an item is flagged, or had
>>> been flagged and is now marked as completed, that the item will not get
>>> archived. At the bottom of each of my folders that are set to
>>> automatically archive there is a collection of older items.  Today, for
>>> example, there were about a dozen messages that should have been
>>> archived out of my Inbox, but it looks like the archiving process
>>> stopped when it hit an item that was marked as completed.  I can see why
>>> you would not want flagged items to auto archive, but it seems like
>>> completed items should be archived.
>>>
>>> Is there something that I am missing here?  Other than clearing the
>>> flags on items before they reach archiving age, is there any other way
>>> to address this issue?
>>>
>>> --Tom

Okay, it looks like I am still having issues with auto archiving.  While the
test that I did two months ago worked, I just completed a longer term test
that failed.  I recorded the following information on a specific item.

Location:           Inbox
Subject:             Network Topology and Vulnerability Tool
Last Updated:    6/12/09 9:54 AM (Marked completed)

For the last two months I have been very careful to not modify that item in
any way.  In fact, I have not even clicked on it.  The item should have been
auto archived the other day, but it was not.  Of course, I could manually
archive items, but I would prefer to figure out the underlying problem and
get it fixed.

To troubleshoot this problem I created a custom view with the Do Not
AutoArchive and the Modified fields.  None of the items in my Inbox have the
Do Not AutoArchive flag set, so that isn't the problem.  However, I did
notice that the Modified date for about 350 items shows 7/1/09 9:06 AM.
That's odd because the vast majority of those items have not been touched
since they were originally received.  I am wondering if something happened
on that date to reset the Last Modified date for all those items.

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the archiving process and that
there might be something more fundamental that has gone awry.  What else
might I be missing here?

--Tom

> To troubleshoot this problem I created a custom view with the Do Not
> AutoArchive and the Modified fields.  None of the items in my Inbox have the
> Do Not AutoArchive flag set, so that isn't the problem.  However, I did
> notice that the Modified date for about 350 items shows 7/1/09 9:06 AM.
> That's odd because the vast majority of those items have not been touched
> since they were originally received.  I am wondering if something happened
> on that date to reset the Last Modified date for all those items.

Third party add-ins that integrate with Outlook can alter the modified date.
Do you have any?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
8/14/2009 5:04:47 PM
> Third party add-ins that integrate with Outlook can alter the modified
> date. Do you have any?

No.  The only thing that I can think of along those lines is my anti-virus
software, but I believe that it only scans items upon arrival.  I did a deep
scan about two weeks ago and that does not appear to have reset the modified
date on any of the email items.

--Tom

> No.  The only thing that I can think of along those lines is my anti-virus
> software, but I believe that it only scans items upon arrival.  I did a deep
> scan about two weeks ago and that does not appear to have reset the modified
> date on any of the email items.

What add-ins are listed in Outlook?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)

Deleted Items #6
On the menubar go to Tools/Options Select the Other tab Checkbox for Empty the Deleted Items folder upon exiting is grayed out. Is there a way to "turn on" this option? Thanks ...

Trending Item
One feature I like in my MSMoney is the forecast of my cash flow but it doesn't seem to be working properly. It never shows a trended item for my gross income that I set up that I set up in the system. It does trend other income/interest however?? How come my gross income never get forecasted? It shows past gross income and expenses fine but will always show me in the negatives if I look into the future. ...

Flagging
Is there a way to view all flagged items, either completed or incomplete? What version of Outlook? Do you mean items across multiple folders or in a single folder? What kinds of items? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Curt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5d6c01c3ad40$bffcbdf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to view all flagged items, either > co...

Quick Flags and Blackberry
Good Morning, I am an EA and use quick flags (Outlook 2003) to indicate the significance of emails in my boss' account. However because he travels frequently he uses his Blackberry to access emails and can not see the flags. Is there a way to sync the Microsoft quick flags and Blackberry or is there another suggestion for sorting emails by importance that will transfer to a Blackberry? Thank you. -- K you could try turning on Inline editing and type in the Subject field. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook Trainer and Consultant There are various articles about using Outlook he...

How to stop highlighting items in Cedit control
I am using a Cedit control within a propertypage to display a list of status messages as the program executes a series of actions. Everything works OK, except that all of the text in the Cedit control is highlighted (selected?). Is there a way to insert data into the Cedit control without having the text highlighted? Call SetSel(-1,0) for the edit control to deselect the text. You can do this in an update routine. Tom "Brian Westcott" <bwestcott@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:%237U9muIlGHA.1320@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I am using a Cedit control within a propert...

Can Tree View(Ctrl) leaf item associate with a checkbox?
Hi, I want to make every leaf item of my Tree View(Ctrl) assicated with a checkbox, then user can have a option to select it or not, is it available? How to do it? Regards, Wu Yifei >I want to make every leaf item of my Tree View(Ctrl) >assicated with a checkbox, then user can have a option to >select it or not, is it available? How to do it? Give the control the TVS_CHECKBOXES style. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ...

How can I reference the last data item in a column or row?
I want to display or use the last (most recent) data in either a column or row withour specifically accessing the individual cell. Is there a funcion similar to Min() or Max() that can help me or perhaps another way to solve this question? Thanks See: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html Hope this helps Rowan snappy wrote: > I want to display or use the last (most recent) data in either a column > > or row withour specifically accessing the individual cell. Is there a > funcion similar to Min() or Max() that can help me or perhaps another > way to solve th...

UPC on Item card
There is no field for UPC on the Inventory-Item Card. We had to add this field to an extender window. This seems odd to me since almost every retail product has a UPC. When customers order goods from us, they order by UPC number. We are forced to use the extender tables for this which always slows things down. Is there any way to have a UPC field added to the Item card? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you d...

Flagging
I did something stupid and now I am in the soup. My boss's boss called me while he was traveling on business to check his e-mail messages because his assistant was out to lunch. When I opened his mailbox he had literaly 15 of those pesky flagged message pop-up reminders. I dismissed them because I find them annoying and wanted to get to his messages. It turns out those pesky reminders are a valuable mnemonic device for him. How do I restore the active pop-up messages without changing the original due date? He wants the original action date to remain. When I try to put in b...

Copy/Paste problem
Applies to: Word 2003, Excel 2003 Environment: Windows XP Professional/Service Pack 3, AD network, user profile on workstation; user documents on network folder. Problem description: The user will be working on a document (workbook, if in Excel), and doing a lot of cut/paste or copy/paste operations within the document. This will work fine for a while, but then, for no obvious reason, the Office Clipboard will appear, and cut/paste or copy/paste appears to stop working. Inspection reveals that every cut or copy results in TWO items being placed on the clipboard, the first being ...

FLAGS!
Is it possible when attaching a FLAG (with date and time) to an e-mail to receive an actual alert or reminder to follow up on the due date & time. Thanks for any help/advice Glyn I can answer my own question thanks to Knowledge BASE - maybe of help to others. The e-mail must be in either INBOX, CONTACTS, CALENDAR or TASKS. Outloook doesn't monitor other folders! >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible when attaching a FLAG (with date and time) >to an e-mail to receive an actual alert or reminder to >follow up on the due date & time. >Thanks for any help...

Matrix Item
When My cashier sell Matrix item like 6pk Bud light or Single 12 oz can. The problem Some time cashier dont look at pos screen and He /She keep scanning the next item. in this situation If cashier dont select the item and Go to next one The pos will skip the next item and Cutomer will get charge on matrix item from top. Is there any way We can Put some ALERT sound on Matrix item ? Then cashier will aware it . ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree&...

Size of store and deleted items
As I understand it, Exchange 2003 retains items that have been deleted by users (meaning the user deleted it from their deleted items folder) according to the settings specified in Exchange System Manager on the Mailbox Store > Properties > Limits tab > Deletion Settings > Keep Deleted Items for (days) and Keep deleted mailboxes for (days)". First of all, is this correct, or have I misunderstood the purpose of this setting, or the meaning of "Deleted items"? If the above statement is correct, my question is this: Is there any way to clearly know how much ro...

RMS Store Ops should have a Related Items Tab in Item properties
RMS Store Ops 1.3 There should be a tab in item properties to set-up related items. This would be very useful if you're using software, like Nitrosell, to sync RMS with your webstore. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busine...

is it possible to re-size or format list items in dropdown box?
i have created several drop-down lists using the data/validate function in Excel, but the font / size of the list items in the drop-down list are too small to read... For a data validation dropdown list, you can't change the font size. There are a couple of workarounds here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font Or, there's a sample file here that provides a combobox from which you can select one of the values from the data validation list. In the combobox, you can change the font size: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html jc wrote: > i have ...

Access Hotmail with Outlook followup flag is not available
I normally access my Hotmail account with Outlook Express. I tried Outlook 2003. Why does it seem slower and why can't I flag messages for followup? HTTP mail messages don't support flags, as far as I know. "johnnyzee" <johnnyzee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB1A2FDE-9C11-4C28-B7AD-39EE28299419@microsoft.com... >I normally access my Hotmail account with Outlook Express. I tried Outlook > 2003. Why does it seem slower and why can't I flag messages for followup? Vince: Thanks for your reply. However I use flags all of the time in Ou...

Can you change a picture when different drop down items are selected in a combo box
I am creating a search tool and a member of the business selects a particular vendor a series of information comes up including the name of the employee who looks after that vendor. Is it possible to have a space for a picture that changes when that name changes? Thanks in advance. Si --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Here's a way to do it with validation dropdowns: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html In article <si.lav.1b4ube@excelforum-nospam.com>, si.lav <<si.lav.1b4ube@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > I am creating ...

Gray a menu item
I'm trying to enable or disable a menu item that drops down when one of the top level menu items is selected. However, what I'm doing doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm not sure that I understand the terminology used for menus sub-menus etc. Here is the code: CMenu* pMenu= ((CFrameWnd*)AfxGetMainWnd())->GetActiveFrame()->GetMenu(); pMenu= pMenu->GetSubMenu(5); //get the Prio submenu item if (HoldXingDist) pMenu->EnableMenuItem(10, MF_BYPOSITION | MF_ENABLED); else pMenu->EnableMenuItem(10, MF_BYPOSITION | MF_GRAYED); (The selection t...

item# in PO
Is there a way to get the item# updated after adding it to the PO? There's a field to put the item# in but when you commit the PO it doesn't transfer into the items reoder #. must enter it directly in the item, not the PO in order for it to 'stick' "Craig" <fishhead1992@verizon.net> wrote in message news:O5r%23ubRTGHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to get the item# updated after adding it to the PO? There's > a field to put the item# in but when you commit the PO it doesn't > transfer into the items reoder #. > ...

I have defined two rules per the work around because of a bug; For e-mails that are not from people in my address book Rule Number 1: Mark them as read and clear message flag Rule Number 2: Move them to the Junk folder But, they are still marked as unread and the message flag is not cleared. They are, however, moved. The rules are in the right order (I triple checked them). If I run just the Rule Number 1, they are marked as read and the message flag is cleared. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

CTreeCtrl : change item rect
Hi, Anyone knows how to change the items rect in a CTreeCtrl object? Thanks in advance, Jorge Loureiro "Jorge Loureriro" <jloureiro@mediaprimer.pt> wrote in message news:50e36dd0.0405180349.13c4aa4f@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Anyone knows how to change the items rect in a CTreeCtrl object? > > Thanks in advance, > > Jorge Loureiro Hi Jorge take a look at TVITEMEX structure's iIntegral member, I have done this long back with some custom drawing and it worked fine..... hth Thangaraj A.L. Systems Anayst CSS Inc. ...

Inactive Item
For an unknown reason, some of our items that are marked as inactive are able to be pulled up at the POS without receiving any warnings. Other inactive items trigger a warning when the item is pulled up. The only difference that I can see between the items is that the ones that are not triggering the warning have a taxable value equal to 1 in the items database. Do I need to set this to 0? Why would this matter? Thanks, Mike -- First District Association This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0230_01C86828.6618EFF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="...

Emptying Deleted Items
We have W2k environment and E2k3. A user of mine when trying to empty his Deleted Items folder with 32 items got the message 'THROWING OUT ALL UNLABELED ITEMS (THERE ARE QUITE A FEW!!!) IN 5 MINUTES....' Has anyone seen this message? What does it mean? Thanks. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO Never seen that. It looks to me like he has some Outlook add-in doing this. See if there's anything registered in Tools > Options > Other > Advanced > Add-In Manager. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "JoeCL" <JoeCL@d...

flag a message
I am new to live desktop and do not understand the 4 icons shown on the toolbar; namely a star, spectacles, paper clip and a cloud. In my last hotmail account I could flag a message to note that I should read it later but so far do not see how to do this in windows live mail desktop. The live help line does not seem to give me an answer. Can anyone tell me? Thank you Alt + T, Options, uncheck Use newsgroup community support features. What you are seeing is Rating, Watched, Attachment, Message type. If Flag is not showing, right click on the column headers (it is not the toolba...