Exporting email with atachment to text file

I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form.  Many
years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text;
attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64.  I could
always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting,
and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment.  Is
there any way to do this in Outlook?

I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of
Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in
the future by having a purely text email file.

TIA

0
dtshedd (2)

<dtshedd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form.  Many
> years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text;
> attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64.  I could
> always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting,
> and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment.  Is
> there any way to do this in Outlook?
>
> I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of
> Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in
> the future by having a purely text email file.
>
> TIA

Install Thunderbird and import your Outlook mail to that - that will do
exactly the same job.

HTH

Thank you for the suggestion.  I installed Thinderbird, but that only
allowed me to import the emails if Outlook was installed, and the
messages currently in the personal folders.  I would like to import a
standalone Outlook Personal Address Book file (*.pst).  Is there
another program that can do this?

TIA

Dan

Gordon wrote:
> <dtshedd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form.  Many
> > years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text;
> > attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64.  I could
> > always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting,
> > and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment.  Is
> > there any way to do this in Outlook?
> >
> > I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of
> > Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in
> > the future by having a purely text email file.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Install Thunderbird and import your Outlook mail to that - that will do
> exactly the same job.
>
> HTH

0
dtshedd (2)
11/6/2006 2:03:25 PM
dtshedd@yahoo.com <dtshedd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion.  I installed Thinderbird, but that only
> allowed me to import the emails if Outlook was installed, and the
> messages currently in the personal folders.  I would like to import a
> standalone Outlook Personal Address Book file (*.pst).  Is there
> another program that can do this?

There is no program that can read a PST other than Outlook.  Moreover, a
Personal Address Book file is not a .pst file, but a .pab file.  If you
really mean a PAB, then Outlook Express can import that, but there are no
messages in a PAB, only contacts.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Contacts export display X400 not SMTP

Centre email message
Sending a page as a message - it aligns to the left by default. How do I centre an email message to the middle of the screen? ...

Export to XML exports single row only

LARGE File Size
Hi, I have been given a file that 7.7 meg. The content is approximately 30 cells x 30 cells. There is some border formatting but the majority of the cells are empty as it is a timesheet template. There is three lines and a small picture in the file. If I copy all cells over to a new work by pasting values and then pasting formats & copying over the lines and image, the new file is 66.5K !!! Any ideas why the same content can have such varying file sizes ??? Thanks John Hi John Excel can think that the usedrange is bigger then it is. You can see how big your usedrange is on every...

Email delivery
Is there any way to have one email account deliverd to a .pst file and one delivered to an exchange mailbox in the same profile? No. You can have your mail delivered to an Exchange profile and then move certain mails by rule to a .pst but you cannot have them delivered directly to 2 different message stores automatically. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, cleve asked: | Is the...

outlook sends me copy of every email I send ?? 05-10-10
How do I change the setting of my e mail so that I don't get a copy sent to me of every email I send out? "SUSIE" <SUSIE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE99A148-F12B-4940-9C9F-EC0A2897C10E@microsoft.com... > How do I change the setting of my e mail so that I don't get a copy sent to > me of every email I send out? State your Outlook version and account type, please. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] SUSIE wrote: > How do I change the setting of my e mail so that I don't get a copy sent to > me of every email I sen...

How to enumerate all email accounts?
Hi, How can i enumerate all email accounts in the current profile? Should work with IMO to. thanks in advance. ...

Export / Import Security

Sending Email from Work to Home
This situation that I am about to describe just started on Monday. Whenever I am at work I hit my home ISP POP3 server to retrieve my emails at work. People can send me emails from the office or anywhere else and I have no problems getting them at work. However, when I send or forward a mail from work to my home, I would normally get it back here at work as well as at home. But this does not happen. I have made no changes to any of the settings. It is like it goes into outer space. Here is what I have tried to correct the problem: 1. Cold Rebooting. 2. Removing and reinstalling ...

Can't send Emails but can receive
When I try to send Emails I get the following. Any help please. Thank you in advance Task 'mail.synapsemr.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC6F) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: ?#\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11;.;C:\WINDOWS\System32;C:\WINDOWS\system;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONICS~1\' And what...

How do I link a picture to a text cell
Hi everyone, I must warn you all I am fairly new to excel so please reply in terms a novice would be able to understand, Thanks :) This is what I am trying to achieve: I have a list box with 10 possible selections, lets say for example that 'Apple' was a selection, If I choose 'Apple' I would like a picture of an apple to appear in a different cell range, and if I was to choose 'Pear' I would like the 'Apple' picture to be replaced by a 'Pear' picture. Does this make sense ? :confused: Any help would be much appreciated. Mark...... :) -- Chippy_...

Recovering Files
Is there any possible way where you can recover a file that has been lost, and when it appeared in the autorecover box wasn't saved? Thanks for your help. You could be lucky and it will be in your temp folder. Type %temp% in the address bar in Windows Explorer. Look for files that have a pub prefix, change the .tmp extension to .pub. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B2E96A9-AED1-4524-B0CF-E4A2EDDF94CF@microsoft.com... > Is there an...

How do I email a hyperlink to a program file with a website as a parameter
Hi all, We're trying to email a hyperlink to a program file on a persons C: drive which by itself works fine. But when we append a parameter in the form of http://website.com then it thinks the entire link is a website and chokes. What we're trying to do start a Citrix ICA file from an email and feed it a dynamic website. The full link is "C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\wfica32.exe" \\server\share\IE.ICA /param:"HTTP://website.com" I want the link to be just as is but Outlook changes the backslashes to forward slashes and generally mucks it up. ...

how can I get Outlook (not Outlook Express) to be used to send files from my computer
How can I get Outlook (not Outlook Express) to be used to send files from my computer? I've just started using my new Compaq Presario 3000 laptop running XP Home. Each time that try to send a file by right clicking on it and selecting Mail Reciepient the mail is sent via Outlook Express and not Outlook. THis is a problem for me as I do niot use Outlook Express for anything but Newsgroup reading. The other problem is that I want a record of having sent the file in my Outlook Sent Mail folder. On my old computer the files went through Outlook and not Outlook Express I've checked th...

Export item ID?

Exporting email in Outlook Express

Junk Emails
We are using Exchange Server 2000 SP3. Recently there have been many junk emails coming to our domain. Please let us know how we can stop such junk emails in exchange server. Secondly, when we click in Current Sessions in Exchange Systems Manager, we get a message SMTP Configuration window saying "The system cannot find the path specified." Please if anybody can help us to stop the junk emails of 1 kb. There are more than 1000 such emails in our Q by which our server is always busy sending / receiving unwanted emails. Regards, Athar -- Athar Sagri atharsagri <atharsagr...

Email Attachments #3
How can an organization prevent email attachments from being stored in CRM with the CRM email activity. Hi Terry, in the System Settings, the CRM admin can block attachments with defined file extensions (e.g. .exe). To block all attachments you could just add all the common email attachment file types (.doc, .xls, .pdf, etc.) Or just set the maximum file size on the E-mail tab to 0KB. -- Neil Benson Increase - Hosted Microsoft CRM with Beyond Demand service www.increasecrm.co.uk "Terry" wrote: > How can an organization prevent email attachments from being stored in CRM &...

Exporting to Powerpoint

Encrypted Email
Does anyone know what would be the simplest way to send encrypted email from our company out to the internet. We would like for the ability to send encrypted to be available to all internal users of our Exchange 5.5 server. Thanks The Key Management Server (part of 5.5) can be used to both encrypt and digitally sign messages using X.509v3 certificates. To encrypt mail to users outside, they would need to send you a digitally signed email (which assumes they have some form of email security in place, like the KMS). Outlook supports adding the users public key certificate (which it gets fr...

Missing Report Manager help file
Greetings: I run Windows XP home and Office XP Professional. Sometime last year I installed Report Manager add-in for Excel. In March 2005 I had to do a reinstall. Since then, when I click on View>Report>Manager>help I get a message stating that the XLMAIN8.HLP file cannot be found. The utility is checked in the Add-On dialog box. As I still have the download in the My Downloads folder I have even tried reinstalling the utility again but still the help file remains lost somewhere. Can someone offer some advice on what to do next? Where could the file have gone? How can I get it back...

Export Image Package
I have an access application that has stored .JPG images within the database as a "Package". How can I export the image back to a normal .jpg file so that it can be read by a normal (non ole server) imaging application? ...

Outlook will not send my email any more
Outlook will only receive email, it has stopped sending. initially it was having an smtp error, now it is not even attempting to send the email. On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:33:02 -0800, jared wrote: > Outlook will only receive email, it has stopped sending. initially it was > having an smtp error, now it is not even attempting to send the email. What version of Outlook? Do you get any error messages when you try to send? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights Hi Jeff... It is Outlook 2000 SP-3. The...

Why are blank white boxes appearing in some Outlook emails?
Why are blank white boxes appearing in some Outlook emails (covering text in the body of the letter)? Not all emails, just a few - emails from the same person may or may not have the boxes, all so far have a signature with a graphic but not all emails with graphics (even if from the same person) will have it Windows XP Pro, Outlook 2003, Exchange 2003 Any idea's? ...