embeds vs attachments

Dear all,

A little confused.  I attached a file to an email and sent it but the person
did not receivc the attachment.  Looking at the sent item it appears the
document became embedded rather than attached....but how and why could he
not see it?

Thanks,

Danny

0
djurmann1 (36)

The issue is to do with the message format.

SMTP mail is in 7-bit ASCII and files are attached and
warppered to preserve the 8-bit data. However, MS mail
clients support 'Rich Text' allowing fonts, colours etc.
and allows attachments to be inserted in-line in the
document.

When a Rich Text document is sent the whole message is
wrappered in a file called mail.dat (from memory) and the
MS Client at the other end unwraps this and represents the
message formatted and with inline attachments etc. But, if
the recipient isn't using an MS mail client then they'll
get the plain body text plus a single attachment called
mail.dat which they won't know what to do with...and it's
more than just the actual attachement as it includes all
the Rich Text formatting of your message too.

So the solution is to send the message as plain text and
then attach your file. you'll then see the attachment at
the bottom of the page (or in the header in Outlook 2003)
and not in-line. Your recipient will then get the message
(in plain text) and your attachment fine :-)

..../Iain

One correction - the file is winmail.dat, not mail.dat.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,
ipmarketing@spamcop.net asked:

| The issue is to do with the message format.
|
| SMTP mail is in 7-bit ASCII and files are attached and
| warppered to preserve the 8-bit data. However, MS mail
| clients support 'Rich Text' allowing fonts, colours etc.
| and allows attachments to be inserted in-line in the
| document.
|
| When a Rich Text document is sent the whole message is
| wrappered in a file called mail.dat (from memory) and the
| MS Client at the other end unwraps this and represents the
| message formatted and with inline attachments etc. But, if
| the recipient isn't using an MS mail client then they'll
| get the plain body text plus a single attachment called
| mail.dat which they won't know what to do with...and it's
| more than just the actual attachement as it includes all
| the Rich Text formatting of your message too.
|
| So the solution is to send the message as plain text and
| then attach your file. you'll then see the attachment at
| the bottom of the page (or in the header in Outlook 2003)
| and not in-line. Your recipient will then get the message
| (in plain text) and your attachment fine :-)
|
| .../Iain

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
4/18/2004 5:46:52 PM
Thanks folks!

Thought for the day....if you use HTML format does the same problem apply?

Danny

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org>
wrote in message news:%23hpxj0WJEHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> One correction - the file is winmail.dat, not mail.dat.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,
> ipmarketing@spamcop.net asked:
>
> | The issue is to do with the message format.
> |
> | SMTP mail is in 7-bit ASCII and files are attached and
> | warppered to preserve the 8-bit data. However, MS mail
> | clients support 'Rich Text' allowing fonts, colours etc.
> | and allows attachments to be inserted in-line in the
> | document.
> |
> | When a Rich Text document is sent the whole message is
> | wrappered in a file called mail.dat (from memory) and the
> | MS Client at the other end unwraps this and represents the
> | message formatted and with inline attachments etc. But, if
> | the recipient isn't using an MS mail client then they'll
> | get the plain body text plus a single attachment called
> | mail.dat which they won't know what to do with...and it's
> | more than just the actual attachement as it includes all
> | the Rich Text formatting of your message too.
> |
> | So the solution is to send the message as plain text and
> | then attach your file. you'll then see the attachment at
> | the bottom of the page (or in the header in Outlook 2003)
> | and not in-line. Your recipient will then get the message
> | (in plain text) and your attachment fine :-)
> |
> | .../Iain

0
djurmann1 (36)
4/18/2004 9:23:28 PM
No, only Outlook RTF format is the problem as only 2 mail clients can
interpret the message format correctly. Outlook and Eudora.

HTML has its own problems as many people routinely block HTML mail or use a
client (Outlook 97 or Pine for example) that cannot read HTML.  Plain Text
is always the safest bet when having formatting problems.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Aardvark asked:

| Thanks folks!
|
| Thought for the day....if you use HTML format does the same problem
| apply?
|
| Danny
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message
|| One correction - the file is winmail.dat, not mail.dat.
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,
|| ipmarketing@spamcop.net asked:
||| The issue is to do with the message format.
||| SMTP mail is in 7-bit ASCII and files are attached and
||| warppered to preserve the 8-bit data. However, MS mail
||| clients support 'Rich Text' allowing fonts, colours etc.
||| and allows attachments to be inserted in-line in the
||| document.
||| When a Rich Text document is sent the whole message is
||| wrappered in a file called mail.dat (from memory) and the
||| MS Client at the other end unwraps this and represents the
||| message formatted and with inline attachments etc. But, if
||| the recipient isn't using an MS mail client then they'll
||| get the plain body text plus a single attachment called
||| mail.dat which they won't know what to do with...and it's
||| more than just the actual attachement as it includes all
||| the Rich Text formatting of your message too.
||| So the solution is to send the message as plain text and
||| then attach your file. you'll then see the attachment at
||| the bottom of the page (or in the header in Outlook 2003)
||| and not in-line. Your recipient will then get the message
||| (in plain text) and your attachment fine :-)
||| .../Iain

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
4/18/2004 11:15:51 PM
Thanks folks :-)

wrote in message news:ehVvYsZJEHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> No, only Outlook RTF format is the problem as only 2 mail clients can
> interpret the message format correctly. Outlook and Eudora.
>
> HTML has its own problems as many people routinely block HTML mail or use
> client (Outlook 97 or Pine for example) that cannot read HTML.  Plain Text
> is always the safest bet when having formatting problems.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Aardvark asked:
>
> | Thanks folks!
> |
> | Thought for the day....if you use HTML format does the same problem
> | apply?
> |
> | Danny
> |
> | "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> | <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message
> || One correction - the file is winmail.dat, not mail.dat.
> || --�
> || Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> || Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
> || the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
> || personal account will be deleted without reading.
> || After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,
> || ipmarketing@spamcop.net asked:

0
djurmann1 (36)

exmerge subjects and attachments file
If I do not want to specify an particulare criteria by using the subjects and attachements file, can I just answer ok to the error messages when exmerge starts, or should I create blank files? ...

How to let Embed Excel WorkSheet support Excel Addins?
Hi Gurus I wrote an application which has an embed excel table. I tried to allow user using "Solver" and "Data Analysis" addins when they working on this table. But when I click on "Solver", it will report an runtime error and "Data Analysis" just do nothing(No dialog popup). I tested this two addins on Microsoft Word (by insert a Excel Table in word document), same problem happened. Is this mean embed excel worksheet can not using Addins? Is there any solution on this? Robin Thanks "Robin Wei" <robin@softwaresecure.com> д���ʼ� ...

embed dialog into another dialog
how can be done? thanks what do you mean 'embed'??? you can open a dialog from another dialog just like you would open it from another application. "Mastupristi" <cialdi_NO_SP@M_firenze.net> wrote in message news:20040728165812.00003ab8.cialdi_NO_SP@M_firenze.net... > how can be done? > > thanks On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:51:50 -0400 "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote: > what do you mean 'embed'??? you can open a dialog from another dialog > just like you would open it from another application. I mean that I wand to define 2 dia...

Outlook 2007 vs 2003
I have just upgraded my home version of Office. I run 2007 on Vista. At the office where I use a laptop, we have Office 2003 and XP. I use Outlook on both configured to the same e-mail address. I have two questions: 1. I have marked the option on both systems to leave messages on the server so that I can read new messages from either location. While messages I pick up at the office appear in my home inbox, messages that I download to my home computer do not appear in my office outlook. Is there something else I can do? 2. I have also tried to import my home address book into my offi...

Unable to send attachment in Outlook 2000
Outlook works fine until I try to send an attachment and the system hangs. Any suggestions? Win98SE operating system. Thanks http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx? InCC_hdn=True&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB% 26PRODLISTSRC% 3DON&Product=&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&maxResu lts=25&Queryl=Win98SE+system+hangs+when+trying+to+send+atta chment+Outlook+2000&Query=Win98SE+system+hangs+when+trying+ to+send+attachment+Outlook+2000&QuerySource=gsfxSearchRt_Qu ery&srchExtraQry=Outlook+2000 Copy and paste the link above into brows...

Administrator vs User
When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user account - just administator - and used no passwords. That is the way it is on other two hard drives. For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had to log in. Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as "Ron Patterson" In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons: Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator Guest - "Guest account is off" Asp Net Machine - Limited Account When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson. But when I try to...

Entourage Message Preview Pane
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I'm running Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition. OS is 10.5.8. <br><br>The message preview pane is showing all of my messages in Plain Text format only, and I don't see a way to switch it to displaying in HTML format. Does anyone know a way to do this? I used to run the regular, non-Web Services version of Entourage, and my messages previewed in HTML format. <br><br>Thanks! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ----------------28476980022113...

Bush vs Sadam

Is there a way to block sending certain attachments?
Hi all, Is there a way we can block users sending .mp3 attachemnts from outlook and exchange point of view? exchange 2003 SP2 and outlook 2003 Thank you. On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:05:12 -0800, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >Is there a way we can block users sending .mp3 attachemnts from outlook and >exchange point of view? exchange 2003 SP2 and outlook 2003 > >Thank you. Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829982 Exchange: Exchange aware anti-virus is probably the best way. John, Take a look at the two links below. The first poin...

Outlook Attachment Blocking
Hello Folks have sent me messages that have a sequence of files. For example the message will have several attachments listed like this: 1.pdf., 2.pdf,3.pdf. It looks like MS Outlook reads the attachment as =93.pdf.=94 and =93.pdf,= =94; which is technically an unknown file extension, instead of reading each attachment as a =93.pdf=94 I am able to view =93.pdf=94 attachments Any ideas? Thanks, Anthony If you attachments were blocked, try CodeTwo Attach Unblocker. It's freeware: http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/attach-unblocker/ cheers TonyB wrote: > Hello > > Folks have ...

Primary Shipping Address vs Address
I have one question and problem. In case of adding the new customer at Store Management, Database > Customer > New There are Five tab Information section. One is Billing information. Other one is Shipping Address. Others. I input the Billing Address and shipping address. But, My customer's billing address is different with shipping address. So, I input the different shipping address and then, this address is made the primary customer's shipping address. but, If i make the purchase order or Quote, Bill to Address is right, But Ship to address is wrong. I want that shippi...

EMBED
How do I copy my chart into a NEW workbook using the EMBED formula? Thanks, FLKulchar You don't, you copy it and paste it. The pasted chart will still be linked to the old data source, so if you want to plot different data in the copied chart, you need to do it a bit differently. Copy the chart and its source data, the whole worksheet, then paste the new data onto the copied worksheet. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "F. Lawrence Kulchar" <FLawrenceKulchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

::GetSystemMetrics vs GetSystemMetrics
I have observed some coders prepend two colons (ie, ::GetSystemMetrics vs GetSystemMetrics) to certain function calls. Yet it seems to me those calls behave just the same with out the colons. I've searched for an explanation but havent been able to get an answer I understand. So, is there a difference? If so, which is best and why? Thank you for your patience. Alexander wrote: > I have observed some coders prepend two colons (ie, ::GetSystemMetrics > vs GetSystemMetrics) to certain function calls. Yet it seems to me > those calls behave just the same with out the colons. > ...

Embed GetOpenFileName
Hello, Is it possible to embed GetOpenFileName[dialog] and/or SHGetBrowseForFolder[dialog] into a window/dialog? If yes, could anyone please show some light in this matter! Thanks! _______________________________________________________________________ ...

Outlook 2007 vs. 2003
Are there any advantages to Outlook 2007 over 2003? Any disadvantages? What's new in version 2007? 1. Yes 2. Yes. 3. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA101662871033.aspx=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, MS asked: | Are there any advantages to Outlook 2007 over 2003? Any disadvantages? |=20 | What's new in version 2007? Seems like you are saying yes to both questions of whether there a...

How do u attach email mess & replies to Outlook contact files
Need to attach emails and replies to Outlook Contact files In OL2007, open the contact, put the cursor into the note field, go to the Insert tab and choose the thing you'd like to attach (file or Outlook item) "tomD" <tomD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:494A7B71-14C3-43A7-88F1-7C793C10B337@microsoft.com... > Need to attach emails and replies to Outlook Contact files tomD <tomD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Need to attach emails and replies to Outlook Contact files Open the Contact and drag the messages to its Notes pane. However...

Securing a worksheet vs. HTTP
Suppose a worksheet is secured (user may not edit cells, select cells, format cells, etc.). If the file is served via http, it seems as if these security settings are not regarded. Is this correct, or do I make some error. Michael G. Schneider Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:41:05 +0200 from Michael G. Schneider <mgs@newsgroups.nospam>: > Suppose a worksheet is secured (user may not edit cells, select cells, > format cells, etc.). If the file is served via http, it seems as if these > security settings are not regarded. Is this correct, or do I make some > error. Serving it ...

Size Limitations with Attachments
I can only attach a file that is less than 1MB to an email. This has happened only since I upgraded from Outlook 2000 to 2003. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere. When there is a message larger than 1MB the email stays in the outbox, yet sometimes the recipient still receives the email even though it is still in the outbox. Other times the email does not go. Please help. Alecber This is a commun issue after upgrading. Recreate your mail profile in Control Panel-> Mail-> butto Show Profiles and try again. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting ...

Mortgage Loan vs Bills Summary autocalc issue
Ok, long time user of M.M., (to imply my compentency level.) Entered all necessary data into my "home mortgage" loan page, included all necessary information, (see example below). Created a "bill" in the "bills summary" section. Seems to work ok, with the exception that it calculates the principal in excess of $500. i.e.,. Principal + interest = $608 Additional (escrow) = $240 Total payment = $848 The amortization schedule calculates correctly. Go into Bills Summary and created the bill properly. When I try to add transaction, (make payment), total is c...

Different in 2007 vs 2003
I'm using 2007 working with charts and sharing with my customers that are saved in 2003. There is other data on the worksheet and everything is the same (down to the colum width) and duplicated on 28 worksheets in the workbook. On some sheets for it to fit in the designated area on the sheet, the chart size is 4.04 & 5.04 and another it will be 3.38 & 3.88. On the smaller size charts, it looks right on screen but print preview shoves the chart to the middle of the page. The page setup is fit to one page, and the same if it is centered on the page or not. If I move the ...

Embed Sounds
I want to embed a wav file and get it to play without loading Media Player or at least open it minimized. The background music plays without assist so I figured you might be able to play a sound via a hotspot. Probably did not give enough information. This question relates to a web site page. "Herb Mann" wrote: > I want to embed a wav file and get it to play without loading Media Player or > at least open it minimized. The background music plays without assist so I > figured you might be able to play a sound via a hotspot. ...

Attachments visible to Outlook users, not to Outlook Express users
Attachments sent by just one of our users from Outlook 2003 (fully updated) cannot be read by another user in Outlook Express. She can receive attachments from other users (this isn't the security issue where OE is hiding attachments that might represent a security risk). Looking at the message source in OE I see this: Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="winmail.dat" I understood it's well-known that most user agents can't decode "Outlook Rich Te...

Word document attachments
When a user sends an email using Outlook 2002 with a Word 97 attachment, the attachment is scrubbed from the message and appears to become part of the body of the message.The message is sent through a Exchange 2000 server. Other users on the same lan are able to send the message to the same recipient with no difficulties. The recipient is using Outlook Express 6.0 ...

Exchange ActiveSync VS GoodLink
I am proposing an over the air e:mail solution, and I am looking for some comments. As I understand it, Exchange 2003 SP2 (which we are running) can do this with many wireless devices. However, I also see a lot of comments on GoodLink, which is a major cost increase. So, what do you get with GoodLink that you don't get with Exchange? Is it worth $2000 and $300 a user? Especially in a small office where I will probably never have more than 10 users? Thanks for any comments, Gordon On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:29:03 -0800, Gordon Price <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

UNICODE MFC app fails to load ODBC Cursor lib in VS.NET 2003
Although it worked great for years when built with VS 6.0 class CMyRecordset : public CRecordset // derive a class from CRecordset. (actually the IDE does this for you) { ... } CDatabase Database; CMyRecordset *pMyRec = NULL; try { Database.OpenEx(DSN, CDatabase::noOdbcDialog | CDatabase::useCursorLib); pMyRec = new CMyRecordset(&Database); pMyRec->m_StrFilter = ... //setup the filter fReturn = pMyRec->Open(); if (pMyRec->IsBOF()) // Make sure we actually found a record... { dwLine = __LINE__; throw (DWORD) 0; } pM...