Embedding outlook elements in a web page

Hi, I am currently doing some development for a corporate portal and I
have a couple of questions about embedding outlook in a portlet. The
solution I have found is to use the outlook view activex control in the
portlet, but this doesnt really give me what I need. What I would like
is to have kind of a summary showing emailaddress, number of unread
messages in the inbox, number of open tasks, etc for the logged on
user. The activex control only gives me the entire view of the inbox,
calendar, etc.

So, can the outlook view control be used to show a summary, like
Outlook Today, on a webpage or do I have to resort to writing my own
control to show this?

I currently use this piece of code to include the inbox, something
similar would be nice :)

<object classid='clsid:0006F063-0000-0000-C000-000000000046'
id='ovInbox' width='300' height='300' codebase='outlctlx.CAB'>
  <param name='Folder' value='Inbox'>
  <param name='Namespace' value='MAPI'>
  <param name='Restriction' value>
  <param name='DeferUpdate' value='0'>
</object>

0
gekkster1 (2)

No, the OVC shows a folder just like Outlook does and is also limited to =
working only on machines where Outlook is installed and the user is =
running Outlook. For a corporate portal, you may want to access data =
from the Exchange server directly, using WebDAV, to avoid that client =
requirement.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"Gekka" <gekkster1@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
> Hi, I am currently doing some development for a corporate portal and I
> have a couple of questions about embedding outlook in a portlet. The
> solution I have found is to use the outlook view activex control in =
the
> portlet, but this doesnt really give me what I need. What I would like
> is to have kind of a summary showing emailaddress, number of unread
> messages in the inbox, number of open tasks, etc for the logged on
> user. The activex control only gives me the entire view of the inbox,
> calendar, etc.
>=20
> So, can the outlook view control be used to show a summary, like
> Outlook Today, on a webpage or do I have to resort to writing my own
> control to show this?
>=20
> I currently use this piece of code to include the inbox, something
> similar would be nice :)
>=20
> <object classid=3D'clsid:0006F063-0000-0000-C000-000000000046'
> id=3D'ovInbox' width=3D'300' height=3D'300' codebase=3D'outlctlx.CAB'>
>  <param name=3D'Folder' value=3D'Inbox'>
>  <param name=3D'Namespace' value=3D'MAPI'>
>  <param name=3D'Restriction' value>
>  <param name=3D'DeferUpdate' value=3D'0'>
> </object>

0
suemvp (4039)
9/21/2006 11:51:03 AM
Thanks for your reply, Sue. Coming from the Java sphere, I'm really new
to all kind of MS technology and APIs.

The problem here is that this portal is Oracle and here's my idea for a
new approach:

I'll create a webservice using Collaboration Data Objects where Outlook
Web Access is running, exposing the needed functionality, like number
of unread mails, todays appointments, etc. Then I'll use this
webservice in an OmniPortlet in Oracle to show the data.

Would this have any authentication implications as one of the
requirements for the portal is secure SSO (basic authentication not
allowed)?

0
gekkster1 (2)
9/22/2006 7:23:42 AM
That's probably a question better posed to the =
microsoft.public.exchange.development group.=20

Exchange 2007, BTW, will offer access to its data via web services =
natively. For Exchange 2000/2003, I think there are some web service =
examples in the Exchange SDK.=20

> Thanks for your reply, Sue. Coming from the Java sphere, I'm really =
new
> to all kind of MS technology and APIs.
>=20
> The problem here is that this portal is Oracle and here's my idea for =
> new approach:
>=20
> I'll create a webservice using Collaboration Data Objects where =
Outlook
> Web Access is running, exposing the needed functionality, like number
> of unread mails, todays appointments, etc. Then I'll use this
> webservice in an OmniPortlet in Oracle to show the data.
>=20
> Would this have any authentication implications as one of the
> requirements for the portal is secure SSO (basic authentication not
> allowed)?

0
suemvp (4039)

Outlook Sync / Cached
Hello - we recently deployed MRM (Email Retention) ... basic settings are 60 days Inbox, 2 years "Managed Folders" ... items are moved to Deleted Items and then 30 days later, they are purged from Deleted Items (allow recovery). There's more, but doesn't matter for this discussion/question. When this was deployed, we found many users had tons of data (GB's) moved from Managed Folders to the Deleted Items folder (as expected, very old msgs). All of our clients run in Cached Mode, so when the users came in the first day after MRM implementation, it took hou...

Outlook Rule Limitations
I'm trying to create a rule in Outlook that is analogous to specifying a "Permit List". Specifically, I want all incoming e-mails delivered to a folder named "External Contacts" unless I have added the senders e-mail address to a "Permit List" in which case the e-mail is delivered to my Inbox. I'm using Outlook 2002 and Exchange Server 5.5. The current rule I have used is as follows: Apply this rule after the message arrives move it to the External Contacts folder except if from <list of e-mail addresses> or except if sender is in Global...

numbering pages
I have a series of individual publisher files that I want to print and put into one document. When I put page numbers on each individual file, I don't find a way to alter the first page number so it isn't #1. What can I do? Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from j goodwin <Jan_Goodwin@swcs.k12.oh.us> > I have a series of individual publisher files that I want > to print and put into one document. When I put page > numbers on each individual file, I don't find a way to > alter the first page number so it isn'...

Add Trusted Code DLL Outlook Security Settings
I'm trying to add a trusted code DLL to my outlook security form, but if I click on the add button nothing happens. So I'm not able to browse and add any files as trusted code. We're using Exchange / Outlook 2003 and I've registered the trusted code files on my admin PC as it's described. Other configuration changes to the programmatic or outlook security settings tab are working just fine. Can anyone help??? ...

Extracting embedded photos
Not sure this is a conversion issue, but don't know where to post it. Before I learned the hard way, I embedded photos in a database, linked to another database for display. I've reached the database size limit and realize I should have linked the photos instead. (original photos not available) Any ideas on a process to run thru the embedded photos and convert them back to original jpg - the manual process is too massive an effort. Thanks See http://www.lebans.com/oletodisk.htm On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:18:01 -0700, bigitch <bigitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Not ...

Outlook 2003 with openldap (slpad-meta)
Hi, I try to install a meta directory : openldap with meta (slapd-meta). I can't use it with Oulook 2003. I properly modified the register ("DisableVLVBrowsing"=dword:00000001). Has anybody already met this problem and did find a solution? Thank you. Dominique ...

Wiping Outlook clean
I've decided that I don't want to use Outlook just yet but I've already imported email accounts and mail. My question is: How can I wipe my Outlook clean without uninstalling it OR is that the best option to make a fresh start. Thanks for your attention and any help or advice you can give me. David You can uninstall OL, or if you propose to use later, just dont open it. You can continue using yr prev. mail app, just ensure this is set as yr default email app in Internet Options. "David" <thebluecarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OJkFpfutEHA.2528@TK2M...

How to programmatically(c#) add new Send/Receive group in Outlook
Hi All I want to programmatically Add new Send/Receive group in Outlook and modify the setting for existing groups. Thanks in advance Better ask the developers down the hall in a relevant outlook.program_* newsgroup. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Stop method of Sync object is not workin" <StopmethodofSyncobjectisnotworkin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

embedded database
We are developing software applications for Insurance agents that will reside on their laptops and desktops. We are looking for recommendation on which client side embedded database to use in our application. I was wondering if anyone knows what Intuit uses in their product or what Microsoft uses for MS Money. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Paul Money uses MSISAM. Little is known about this--it apparently is a closed-up version of the Jet database used by MS Access. "P Gupta" <pkgupta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:qd7qc.318$eQ3.177@newss...

outlook sharing on home network
What is the best way, if possible, to share an Outlook Calendar on a home network? If possible, can I also set up delegates for email? Or will this only work on a LAN? Thanks! -- marx404 <Outsource Bush!> Delegates for email require Exchange server, which is really not suited for a home network, unless you are a true geek like me :) Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal...

Integrating Outlook 2003 w/ Outlook 2000
Okay, what do most people use as internal mail system (with Outlook as client) in a mixed environment with XP, NT, etc. and Office 2000 and Office 2003 both in play on their LAN? Is it Exchange Server? Are there 3rd party alternatives? the question is depends on what features do the clients expect i have seen/managed the following... * outlook 98 thru 2003 running against mDaemon (pop/imap/smtp) * outlook 98 thru 2003 running against Exchange 5.5 * outlook 98 thru 2003 running against Exchange 2000 * outlook 98 thru 2003 running against Exchange 2003 personal fav right now is outlook 200...

Preventing outlook from receiving mail
Is there a way to configure outlook to only send mails, and not receive them: Is this as simple as not providing a POP3 return mail domain. ? What version of Outlook? In Outlook 2002 or 2003 you can set up a send/receive group that will only send automatically... -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:zNyYb.3418$rb.59003@news.indigo.ie, Fish wrote: > Is there a way to configure outlook to only send mails, and not > receive them: > > Is...

Synchronize Outlook with CRM
Hello, This may be a stupid question, but I am wondering what Synchronize Outlook with CRM does? It obviously doesn't really synch up the database like it does when it goes offline. Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks, Chris It starts a synchronization between Outlook contacts, appointments and tasks with CRM contacts, appointment activities and task activities "Chris Brown" <ChrisBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E006CCC0-18F8-48CA-B67B-55F88F05280F@microsoft.com... > Hello > > This may be a stupid question, but I am wondering...

Outlook 2003 #46
In the navigation pane on the bottom you can put icons of Contacts, Calendar, etc., but these are private folders. Is there any way to put the icons to open Public folders? ...

Illegal message-id from Outlook 2003
Hi all, I am running an Exchange 2003 server. I observe that some Outlook clients is generating an illegal Message-id as shown below. Message-ID: <!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC4AAAAAAAAAValvmQujYEujFddimsKRlQEAXtD2 CO/EKEevyyT1MkCwmAAAAAA3vwAAEAAAACBDuE61h1BJlwTX7rJla7EBAAAAAA==@mail.108912 ..com> I can see in the logs that there are several users generating similar ID. As far as I know the length shold not be more than 100 bytes. >The example is much longer, and is quite different from a "normal" Message-ID. It seems that this causes messages to be detected as...

Recovering my Outlook Data
Hi, I experienced a crash and had to reinstall Vista and all my applications. Fortunately I keep all my data on a separate physical drive. How can I restore my Outlook data stored in “D:\Outlook\Outlook.pst” and “D:\Oulook\Archive.pst” ? Can you also indicate how to configure Outlook to permanently point and save all data in the same location? I did this only ounce and I don’t remember how to achieve it again. Thanks, Answers are posted here daily. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www...

To configure outlook
I'm need way to gonfigure My outlook 2003 for receive netscape e-mail? Hello Luiz, did you try to go to Tools - Email Accounts and than follow the wizard? that is the most easiest way to do so if you can. anette "Luiz Penna" wrote: > I'm need way to gonfigure My outlook 2003 for receive netscape e-mail? ...

outlook live #4
Yes? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "support newsgroups" <v_2svum@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e24hV60IFHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > ...

Notes disappeared from Outlook 2007
All but 2 of my notes (on the note tab - not in my contacts) have disappeared. I use XP, Outlook 2007. I do not sync with anything. I'm not sure how long they've been gone - I don't use them every day, but they are crucial. The only thing I've remembered doing lately is a backup of my .pst file (which was incomplete because of insufficient space) a couple of weeks ago. The notes are not in my deleted file folder, but I empty it every week or so. Where have they gone? Do you have AutoArchive enabled? Then they might be in your archive file. To determine the loca...

How do I send and recieve through my other email to outlook?
I cant figure out how to set up my email to go through outlook from my outside account. I'm guessing that you're trying to use Outlook to connect to an external mail server. Does the firewall in your office allow those type of connections? "Toni-Ann" <Toni-Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D5A2B19-9348-4C02-8E49-B0C4398942C1@microsoft.com... >I cant figure out how to set up my email to go through outlook from my > outside account. Yes "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote: > I'm guessing that you're trying to use ...

what advantages does outlook have over outlook express
I am wondering whether there is any advantage in changing from Outlook Express to Outlook. I have OE6. If you only wish to use email, then stick with OE, but see if link helps http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olexpr.htm "starsista" <starsista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6998AB6E-77FD-4975-85A0-63502870B072@microsoft.com... > I am wondering whether there is any advantage in changing from Outlook > Express to Outlook. I have OE6. ...

Outlook 2003 messages disappearing
My CEO is having a bizarre problem. He sees new messages enter his Inbox, then after about 5-10 seconds, they disappear. He doesn't have them moved to a Personal Folder, nor does he even have a Personal Folder in his profile. He keeps all his mail on our Exchange 2003 server. What's going on with this? Mark Haney <mhaney@interactsys.com> wrote: > My CEO is having a bizarre problem. He sees new messages > enter his Inbox, then after about 5-10 seconds, they > disappear. He doesn't have them moved to a Personal > Folder, nor does he even have a Personal Fold...

Outlook Connector / Outlook 2003
Hi. I've recently started using Outlook Connector with Outlook 2003 as I have an additional free Hotmail account. I've noticed that the free account appears twice in Outlook's E-mail Accounts window after I've attached it. The folders only appears once on the main Outlook interface, though, but it seems that Outlook therefore goes through the send/receive process twice for this account. If I try removing one of the repeated accounts from the window, it just deletes all the folders and the identical account disappears eventually also. Anyone have any ideas? ...

embedded manifest
How can modify the embedded manifet for MFC Standard DLL and MFC Application to set: <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker|highestAvailable|requireAdministrator" uiAccess="true|false"/> Hi Don ...

Outlook 2000 #10
Whenever I start outlook on a win98 machine it goes to whatever startin box I define that is fine. here is the problem Outlook will just hang for about five minutes. If I then go to task manager its says not responding. But will start after awhile. ...