email addresses in memory

An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when they
type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in memory
when you type a letter or name are gone.  They said they didn't do anything
different.  The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing in
memory so you have to type the whole address in.  Is this possible or can
address in memory be deleted or removed?

0
rmwatrich (147)

They are stored in the *.nk2 file located in Docs&Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook (by default)
You dont have to type the address in, just click the 'To' and the contacts
address book will open.

"Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when they
> type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in memory
> when you type a letter or name are gone.  They said they didn't do
anything
> different.  The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing in
> memory so you have to type the whole address in.  Is this possible or can
> address in memory be deleted or removed?

0
DL
3/26/2007 5:57:47 PM
okay but what about when you are trying to send an email to john doe@.... in
the past they could type j in the to:  list and all the J's would show up
now there is nothing.  You have to select to and then select the person from
the address list.  I'm trying to figure out how the memory portion of it
that remembers email addresses that you have used has vanished.

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> They are stored in the *.nk2 file located in Docs&Settings\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook (by default)
> You dont have to type the address in, just click the 'To' and the contacts
> address book will open.
>
> "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when they
>> type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in memory
>> when you type a letter or name are gone.  They said they didn't do
> anything
>> different.  The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing in
>> memory so you have to type the whole address in.  Is this possible or can
>> address in memory be deleted or removed?

0
rmwatrich (147)
3/26/2007 6:04:52 PM
Examine the properties of the nk2 file, size & date, an empty one would be
aprox 26kb

> okay but what about when you are trying to send an email to john doe@....
in
> the past they could type j in the to:  list and all the J's would show up
> now there is nothing.  You have to select to and then select the person
from
> the address list.  I'm trying to figure out how the memory portion of it
> that remembers email addresses that you have used has vanished.
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> > They are stored in the *.nk2 file located in Docs&Settings\Application
> > Data\Microsoft\Outlook (by default)
> > You dont have to type the address in, just click the 'To' and the
contacts
> > address book will open.
> >
> > "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when
they
> >> type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in
memory
> >> when you type a letter or name are gone.  They said they didn't do
> > anything
> >> different.  The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing
in
> >> memory so you have to type the whole address in.  Is this possible or
can
> >> address in memory be deleted or removed?

0
DL
3/26/2007 7:31:22 PM
It's stored in the .nk2 file. It's possibly corrupted.
--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Mark" wrote:

> okay but what about when you are trying to send an email to john doe@.... in
> the past they could type j in the to:  list and all the J's would show up
> now there is nothing.  You have to select to and then select the person from
> the address list.  I'm trying to figure out how the memory portion of it
> that remembers email addresses that you have used has vanished.
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> > They are stored in the *.nk2 file located in Docs&Settings\Application
> > Data\Microsoft\Outlook (by default)
> > You dont have to type the address in, just click the 'To' and the contacts
> > address book will open.
> >
> > "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when they
> >> type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in memory
> >> when you type a letter or name are gone.  They said they didn't do
> > anything
> >> different.  The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing in
> >> memory so you have to type the whole address in.  Is this possible or can
> >> address in memory be deleted or removed?

0
KOrland1 (1012)
3/27/2007 11:00:54 PM
You can quickly and easily create a new NK2 (autocomplete file) using the
following work-around:

In MS Outlook, go to tools, options, mail setup, send/receive.  Uncheck the
"Send immediately when connected box".  Next, press the Send/Receive Button
(in Options) and uncheck "Schedule an automatic send/receive".    Next
disconnect your computer from the internet by removing your network and/or
telephone connection.  Open a new e-mail, press the bcc or to or cc button,
select the contact folder you would like to bring into your NK2
(autocomplete) file.  Select all names by highlighting first and last
contact and then add them by pressing the OK button at the bottom.  With
your computer disconnected, press the send button.  This will automatically
populate your autocomplete file with all of the selected e-mail addresses.
Next, go to your Outbox and delete the e-mail(s) that you just created.  Go
back into your Tools, Options, Mail Setup, Send/Receive and change your
options back to the original settings.   Remember to put your mail settings
back and plug in your removed cables.

The above information is courtesy of Russ Valentine, Outlook MVP.

--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Mark" wrote:

> An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when they
> type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in memory
> when you type a letter or name are gone.  They said they didn't do anything
> different.  The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing in
> memory so you have to type the whole address in.  Is this possible or can
> address in memory be deleted or removed?

0
KOrland1 (1012)
3/27/2007 11:10:26 PM
K. Orland <KOrland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> You can quickly and easily create a new NK2 (autocomplete file) using
> the following work-around:
>

> In MS Outlook, go to tools, options, mail setup, send/receive.
> Uncheck the "Send immediately when connected box".  Next, press the
> Send/Receive Button (in Options) and uncheck "Schedule an automatic
> send/receive".    Next disconnect your computer from the internet by
> removing your network and/or telephone connection.  Open a new
> e-mail, press the bcc or to or cc button, select the contact folder
> you would like to bring into your NK2 (autocomplete) file.  Select
> all names by highlighting first and last contact and then add them by
> pressing the OK button at the bottom.  With your computer
> disconnected, press the send button.  This will automatically
> populate your autocomplete file with all of the selected e-mail
> addresses. Next, go to your Outbox and delete the e-mail(s) that you
> just created.  Go back into your Tools, Options, Mail Setup,
> Send/Receive and change your options back to the original settings.
> Remember to put your mail settings back and plug in your removed
> cables.
>
> The above information is courtesy of Russ Valentine, Outlook MVP.

Simpler: Open the Contacts folder, select all the entries with CTRL-A, then
click Action>New Message to Contact.  In the new message window, click Check
Names or press CTRL-K.  That will resolve all the addresses and add them to
the NK2 file.  Then close the new message window without saving the changes.
No screwing around with any settings or connections required.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
3/28/2007 1:35:28 AM
Where are these stored in Outlook 2007?  I'm not finding a .nk2 file.

> Examine the properties of the nk2 file, size & date, an empty one would be
> aprox 26kb
>
> "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> okay but what about when you are trying to send an email to john doe@....
> in
>> the past they could type j in the to:  list and all the J's would show up
>> now there is nothing.  You have to select to and then select the person
> from
>> the address list.  I'm trying to figure out how the memory portion of it
>> that remembers email addresses that you have used has vanished.
>>

>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> > They are stored in the *.nk2 file located in Docs&Settings\Application
>> > Data\Microsoft\Outlook (by default)
>> > You dont have to type the address in, just click the 'To' and the
> contacts
>> > address book will open.
>> >
>> > "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> they
> memory
>> > anything
> in
> can

Specify operating system. Outlook 2007 is no different than the location
specified. NK2 files are hidden.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Penny Miller" <Penny.Miller@CO.CHELAN.WA.US> wrote in message
> Where are these stored in Outlook 2007?  I'm not finding a .nk2 file.
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> Examine the properties of the nk2 file, size & date, an empty one would
>> be
>> aprox 26kb
>>
>> "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> okay but what about when you are trying to send an email to john
>>> doe@....
>> in
>>> the past they could type j in the to:  list and all the J's would show
>>> up
>>> now there is nothing.  You have to select to and then select the person
>> from
>>> the address list.  I'm trying to figure out how the memory portion of it
>>> that remembers email addresses that you have used has vanished.
>>>

>>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> contacts

>> they
>> memory
>> in
>> can

0
russval1 (2100)

Internet/email downloading/installation issues
**HELP**! I have windows vista. Anytime I try to download anything from the internet or attachments from my e-mail the "run" screen will pop up and when I click it, it blinks and disappears and nothing else happens. I have never had any problems downloading before, the sites i use are trusted. No warning signs or anything. I cant even save anything to my desktop. My anitivirus program doesnt detect any type of virus. Please help me, or my lappy will die a horrible death... -- Thanks, LanaT. "LanaT" <LanaT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Date changing on outgoing email
I have a user who called in with a strange problem. He's on Outlook 2003 and we have an exchange 2003 server. Some email goes out ok but alot goes out with a date change - for instance his email that went out on 7/26/06 had a date stamp of 9/26/06, two days earlier they had a date stamp of 12/24/06. I checked his computer date/time and they where fine. It's just the month in the email that changes. His computer checks out clean for viruses. DavidH <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote: > I have a user who called in with a strange problem. He's on Outl...

Incoming email freezes
I have an email coming in thats 27.6 kb - it keeps freezing after a little over 2 kb received -- now I cant get any of the emails that came after this one - any way to bypass/delte this email or fix problem? Does your ISP offer web mail where you can delete it from there, if they don't you may have to contact them and see if they can delete it "Rich" <southardlaw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:007801c3d9ec$7c105420$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have an email coming in thats 27.6 kb - it keeps > freezing after a little over 2 kb received -- now I cant > get any of...

How do you create a list with name address phone in a column form.
I have an excel file with last name, first address city state in each column. I want to prepare a two column report with each persons name first then address then phone. Can't remember how to print out a different view of excel. Making it look more like a two column word document. Maybe you can use MSWord's MailMerge. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. denise108 wrote: > > I have an excel file with last name, first address city state ...

configuring yahoo email to the outlook program
I want to add my yahoo account to outlook not sure how, hotmail was automatic Check the Yahoo! Help files. You must be using their premium paid service but they have the instructions on their web pages. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: mic <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I want to add my yahoo account to outlook not sure how, | hotmail was automatic I don't think this is correct. I have an Yahoo email account (free) and I can get Outlook to...

Outlook 2002 with Word 2000 as email editor??
Has anyone found a patch or other means to use Word 2000 as an email editor with Outlook 2002? I updated to Outlook 2002 in order to install the ActiveSync and now I can't use Word 2000 as my email editor (selection is grayed out in Outlook's options). I've searched but have found no answers, only other people who had the same problem. Any help would be greatly appriciated. -Gary Gary wrote: > Has anyone found a patch or other means to use Word 2000 > as an email editor with Outlook 2002? I updated to Outlook > 2002 in order to install the ActiveSync and now I can&...

Moving Email and Attachment to Task List
I have been using Outlook for years and really like how it allows me to stay organized. About a year ago I found out that I could move emails to the task list to keep my inbox clean... a great option. On occasion I will receive an email with a form or other attachment that I need to fill out or review, I would like to be able to move this email alin with the attachment to my task list but when I do this the attachment is not retained with the task. Anyone have a good solution? Mike "Mike" <junkmail@blackcows.com> wrote in message news:acb08757-ac22-4a2a-b941-b08f9d59edbe@...

Outlook prevents sending email to contact
Hey, a) I am using CRM 4.0 and Outlook 2007 b) Contact X does not allow us to send him any formal mail (therefore we have set him to have do not allow email, bulk mail or send marketing materials). However, we / I occasionally have to contact this person via mail with informal information. Problems is, that Outlook does not allow us to send mail even if the "track in crm" button is not chosen/active. What could cause this problem? Sometimes sending mail works, sometimes not. Does this have something to do with address book synchronization? Any help would be greatly apprec...

Outlook 2002 setting for downling pictures in emails
My boss is using Outlook 2002 and I can't find the settig for allowing picture to download in his emails. In 2003 it's under Tools - Options - Security but I've looked everywhere and can't locate the place to change it in 2002. Can anyone help? ...

Problems with address book
I'm new to using MS outlook. I usually work on *nix servers but this time I am working with Active Directory and facing some problems. I want to see only the people whose account are active in my address book. Currently I see all the people's e-mail addresses when I click on 'To' button. Many of those accounts are disabled, but sitll I see there addresses. Also if I want to send e-mail to everyone, it also sends mails to those people whose accounts are disabled and ultimately creates a lot of confusion. Is there a way that I can see people whose accounts are currently active,...

Aliases and Reply To Address
We have a user that has a number of email aliases they receive to one exchange mail box. When they reply to those messages, the reply-to field automatically gets filled with their primary SMTP address. Is there any way to set it up so that an e-mail received on an SMTP alias, any replies get generated with THAT smtp (alias) address as opposed to the "primary"? Thanks in advance! Hi Lou, No way that I know of, what ever is stamped on that user as the Primary SMTP Address is what will be in the message header as the default reply to. -- Patrick Genova Pgenova@online.micro...

Email Tracking
Hey guys, I would like to track all inbound / outbound emails but only when there is a contact for that email address inside our CRM. The track all inbound messages (tools, options) tracks all inbound messages regardless. The issue is we don't want personal emails stored in our CRM. Is this functionality possible with Microsoft CRM? Cheers! ...

How to create an email retention policy
Hello everyone, Now I might be being silly but I can not find how to create a email retention policy for peoples Inboex. I have found how to create it for a public storage group. But if someone could point me at some information on how to create an email retention policy for Exchange Server 2000 that would be great. Thanks again Tim Wallace Try this link, scroll down to where it says Figure 9-8 "Tim Wallace" wrote: > Hello everyone, > > Now I might be being silly but I can not find how to create a email > retention policy for peoples Inboex. I have found ho...

Memory Usage #2
Hi, I have developed an application which monitors traffic around a city centre car park. The application works fine as intended and I have been testing it lately. One thing I have noticed which is starting to concern me is that when I start the application its memory usage is around 8.5M in task manager. If I leave it to run overnight, it rises to 18M. I have been careful of releasing everything I have allocated and I don't get no memory leaks reported in Visual Studio. Firstly, what things could be responsible for this increase in memory? Secondly, how can I detect and fix thes...

Exporting-importing email accout (.iaf) doesn't work
Hi, i have an .iaf file that i get exporting my email account at work. Now i have imported that file at home, but when i click on "Send and recieve" i get this message: [quote title=Quote:] Falló la conexión con el servidor. Cuenta: 'pop3.xxx.es', Servidor: 'pop3.xxx.es', Protocolo: POP3, Puerto: 110, Seguridad (SSL): No, Error de socket: 10060, Número de error: 0x800CCC0E[/quote] I'm using OL Express 6 in both computers (Windows XP). Any idea? Bye Javi "tirengarfio" <tirengarfio@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outlook Address Book
I am using Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server, My problem is I can not create personal Distribution List, maybe because 'Outlook Address Book' is not show on the drop down list, I am not allow to save it to public distribution list on exchanged server. I have installed outlook address book when I install Office 2003. Thanks Allan Allan This might be better addressed in an Outlook news group rather than in this Excel group. Here is link to all ms news groups with links to each. http://aumha.org/nntp.htm Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:45:09 -0800, "Allan"...

Emails From Both Outlook Express AND Outlook?
Hello, I just subscribed to this newsgroup now. The reason? I have a question. I want Outlook Express to be my default email sender and reader, but there might be the rare occasion that I am using Outlook and would want to be able to send an email from there. 1. Is this possible? 2. If so, how do I set up to do this without losing Outlook Express as the default? Thank you to whomever may be able to help. Candy Just open Outlook, compose the message and send. You can add your account to Outlook and leave the messages on the server. I honestly don't see a reason to use b...

Emailing invoices
I'm on vr 9. Is there the option of emailing invoices to clients? If so, where is it at? Thanks Merle wrote: > I'm on vr 9. Is there the option of emailing invoices to clients? If so, > where is it at? > > Thanks Hi, Dynamics GP offers different options when it comes to output an actual report in GP : either TXT format, HTML, CSV or TAB delimited... but none of them offer a formatted output (i.e. brut text, no alignment) Your best choice is to go with the traditional PDF format which can be achieved quite easily by installing one of many free PDF pri...

Exchange 5.5 won't send internet emails? what did I missing?
I just restored this server from a newinstallation, and everyything is working except that the outgoing internet emails just keep sitting in the users outbox. Internal emails are ok. incoming emails are ok. Internet mail service is running properly. What could be wrong?? Thanks Did you run the Perf Optimizer after installing Exchange 5.5 SP4 and the multitude of post-Sp4 hotfixes? On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:45:03 -0700, "Jason Li" <JasonLi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I just restored this server from a newinstallation, and everyything is >working except t...

Memory error on reboot
Hi everyone, I have a problem in my Exchange 2003 SP2. When I shut down or reboot the server I get the following error: store.exe - application error The instruction at "0x6217c599" referenced memory at "0x61f9aba4". The memory could not be "read". Memory addresses are always the same. There are no messages about it in the event log (I think the crash happen when the log service is already stopped). No errors or warnings about Exchange. If I restart all the Exchange services I get no errors, this happens only when shutting down. It's a Exchange 2003 SP2, W...

Virtual Memory Fragmentation #3
I get this message in the Event Viewer: The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that normal operation may begin to fail. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue. Can't resolve the problem with restarting the Exchange 2K services or rebooting the server. Is this a critical issue or can it be left alone? And how to fix? Hi Hassan, Exchange server requires some amount of virtual memory and one thing is for sure that Exchange is memory greedy application... every application requires some amou...

Memory Management
Is there any way to free up all systems unused memory, Like some programs run cintinously and leak some memory on every call, is there any was to return the memory back to the system, are there some APIs available to deal with the problem? Regards Tariq In message <#$8t5hLREHA.3580@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Tariq <Tariq@asd.com> writes >Is there any way to free up all systems unused memory, Like some programs >run cintinously and leak some memory on every call, is there any was to >return the memory back to the system, are there some APIs available to deal >with the ...

split large publisher for email
Using Windows XP-Media Edition and Office 2003. I am preparing a conference program that contains a lot of ads. The file has gotten too large to email to my client to proof even when I zip it with WinZip. I am wondering if I could split the larger file into smaller chunks to email as an attachment while still maintaining the page sequence of the original booklet. Any ideas??? Send it as a /PDF file. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher "BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OCxfDyeYHHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Using Windows XP-Media Edi...

Emailing an excel worksheet #2
Is there anyway to email an excel worksheet without losing all the formatting. Currently the email looks like gibberish to the recipient. Of course if the recipient has Excel then you could send the .xls file but if they do not have Excel it needs to be imbedded in the email itself. Thanks, jcs Send it as a .pdf. If they don't have Excel, they can't edit it anyway. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Craig" <stonecpa@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eYSdnc_10I7wJiTenZ2dnUVZ_tmdnZ2d@comcast.com... > Is there anyway to email an excel worksheet w...

Outlook 2003 FROM address is incorrect
When I send an email now, it ends up in my Sent folder with the wrong From Address in the message header. It will either be blank for a different email account. This just started happening. The receipient receives the email, but the FROM is either blank or from another one of my 5 accounts. Has anyone see this behavior? Check whether all account settings are still correct and that the right account is set as the default account. You can do this by going to Tools-> E-mail Accounts... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outloo...