Editing Controls of Built-in Fields

I want to import an ACT database into Outlook.  I can't import data into
user-defind fields, so I want to edit built-in fields to accommodate my data.
 I don't find any way to change the controls or the data types of built-in
fields.  Mainly, I want several list (or drop-down) fields, and keyword
fields.  I even tried creating a new field using the listbox control,
thinking I could then choose a different field in properties, but the "list
type" in properties is inactive, regardless which field I choose.  HELP
0
Shannon1 (76)

You can't change the data types of *any* fields, custom or built-in. Some
fields also have enumerations and, therefore, can only take certain values.
You will probably need to write custom code or use a third-party application
to handle the import. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to import an ACT database into Outlook.  I can't import data into
> user-defind fields, so I want to edit built-in fields to accommodate my
> data.
> I don't find any way to change the controls or the data types of built-in
> fields.  Mainly, I want several list (or drop-down) fields, and keyword
> fields.  I even tried creating a new field using the listbox control,
> thinking I could then choose a different field in properties, but the
> "list
> type" in properties is inactive, regardless which field I choose.  HELP

0
suemvp (4038)
11/10/2004 10:22:43 PM
Thanks Sue,
I've seen your name a lot as I've been researching this issue.  I don't have
the programming expertise to write custom code.  Can you recommend any good
third-party apps?
Shannon

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You can't change the data types of *any* fields, custom or built-in. Some
> fields also have enumerations and, therefore, can only take certain values.
> You will probably need to write custom code or use a third-party application
> to handle the import. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm.
>

> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of
>      Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to import an ACT database into Outlook.  I can't import data into
> > user-defind fields, so I want to edit built-in fields to accommodate my
> > data.
> > I don't find any way to change the controls or the data types of built-in
> > fields.  Mainly, I want several list (or drop-down) fields, and keyword
> > fields.  I even tried creating a new field using the listbox control,
> > thinking I could then choose a different field in properties, but the
> > "list
> > type" in properties is inactive, regardless which field I choose.  HELP

0
Shannon1 (76)
11/11/2004 2:32:03 PM
Another part of my question, then, is how do I create a custom field of any
data type ofther than text?  And how do I create a custom field with a
listbox?  I can't seem to do either.
Thanks,
S.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You can't change the data types of *any* fields, custom or built-in. Some
> fields also have enumerations and, therefore, can only take certain values.
> You will probably need to write custom code or use a third-party application
> to handle the import. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm.
>

> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of
>      Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to import an ACT database into Outlook.  I can't import data into
> > user-defind fields, so I want to edit built-in fields to accommodate my
> > data.
> > I don't find any way to change the controls or the data types of built-in
> > fields.  Mainly, I want several list (or drop-down) fields, and keyword
> > fields.  I even tried creating a new field using the listbox control,
> > thinking I could then choose a different field in properties, but the
> > "list
> > type" in properties is inactive, regardless which field I choose.  HELP

0
Shannon1 (76)
11/11/2004 4:29:03 PM
When you click the New button to create a new field, you'll see a choice of
data types, as well as Text.

If you want to display a custom field with a list box, add the list box to
the form, then on the Value tab of that control's Properties dialog, choose
which field you want to display.

--

> Another part of my question, then, is how do I create a custom field of
> any
> data type ofther than text?  And how do I create a custom field with a
> listbox?  I can't seem to do either.
> Thanks,
> S.
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You can't change the data types of *any* fields, custom or built-in. Some
>> fields also have enumerations and, therefore, can only take certain
>> values.
>> You will probably need to write custom code or use a third-party
>> application
>> to handle the import. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm.
>>

>> --
>> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>> Author of
>>      Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>>

>> "Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to import an ACT database into Outlook.  I can't import data into
>> > user-defind fields, so I want to edit built-in fields to accommodate my
>> > data.
>> > I don't find any way to change the controls or the data types of
>> > built-in
>> > fields.  Mainly, I want several list (or drop-down) fields, and keyword
>> > fields.  I even tried creating a new field using the listbox control,
>> > thinking I could then choose a different field in properties, but the
>> > "list
>> > type" in properties is inactive, regardless which field I choose.  HELP

0
suemvp (4038)
11/11/2004 4:38:46 PM
The page I suggested lists availble third-party import tools.

--

> Thanks Sue,
> I've seen your name a lot as I've been researching this issue.  I don't
> have
> the programming expertise to write custom code.  Can you recommend any
> good
> third-party apps?
> Shannon
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You can't change the data types of *any* fields, custom or built-in. Some
>> fields also have enumerations and, therefore, can only take certain
>> values.
>> You will probably need to write custom code or use a third-party
>> application
>> to handle the import. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm.
>>

>> --
>> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>> Author of
>>      Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>>

>> "Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to import an ACT database into Outlook.  I can't import data into
>> > user-defind fields, so I want to edit built-in fields to accommodate my
>> > data.
>> > I don't find any way to change the controls or the data types of
>> > built-in
>> > fields.  Mainly, I want several list (or drop-down) fields, and keyword
>> > fields.  I even tried creating a new field using the listbox control,
>> > thinking I could then choose a different field in properties, but the
>> > "list
>> > type" in properties is inactive, regardless which field I choose.  HELP

0
suemvp (4038)

Auto populate multiple fields from related table
Hi there , I have Incident entity which has 1:N relationship with a Custom table (Part Master). Lookup field is created on Part # on the Incident form, When I open a new Incident , on entering the Part # I would like to display whole bunch fields on the Incident form from the related Part Master. Also would like to assign some of these fields to the Incident record. Any ideas how can this be done ? Any help is appreicated. Thank you in advance. Gustho To do this you will need to write a javascript for the part onchange event to call the CrmWebservice retrieve the selected entity ...

Drawing Control in VB.NET
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C50450.C6200850 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I don't know if this post should be here or in the .net languages forum = but I'll start here. The problem is I am trying to use the ActiveX = control in a vb.net program and I have a form that includes this control = .. The problem is that when the form initializes it starts Visio duing = the initialize component module when it hits=20 Public vsoApp As New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Visio.Applicat...

Using a field from one sub form and into another subform
I have a form with tabbed subforms on it. subform1 - datefield1 subform2 - datefield1 When I fill out subform1 I then tab to subform2 and I would like the data in datefield 1 to carry over to the datefield1 in subform2. Is this possible? It is a bit unusual in a well-normalized relational database to have to store the same fact more than one time. If you'll describe a bit more specifically what having the same fact (date info?) in two places will allow you to do, folks here may be able to offer more specific suggestions. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MV...

disabling restore control
hi i have a problem that in my mdi form when i open a child form in maximized state it has restore control button and i want to disable that button whan the form has opened up so that client can not restore the mdi child form can any body help me Ajay posted this for you earlier, but in case that one scrolled off: Try something like: CMenu *pMenu = pYourChildFrame->GetSystemMenu(FALSE); pMenu->DeleteMenu(SC_RESTORE,MF_BYCOMMAND); Tom "Muhammad Ahsin Saleem" <ahsin.saleem@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158211918.857499.317720@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > ...

editting auto recovery

BOM & Edit List

Fast grid control
I am developing a trading type application and would like suggestions on any efficient performance-wise grid controls out there. I dont need any bells and whistles such as links to database but would like the ability to have multiple lines per cell and coloration. Thanks http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/gridctrl.asp It's fairly efficient and has a lot of features, it's easy to use and it's free. Just be careful of performing large number of resizing row height operations. Page Fault City. ...

Adding a new Required field
Can i add a new field to my table such that i enforce a Required condition on it? I cant do this in the table design cos the field will be blank till date. Only the records henceforth should have a mandatory entry in this field. Is there a way i can set this up in the Form?ThanksRamesh Thanks .. that helped. I need to use it only on fields which should not go without data.Ramesh"Wayne-I-M" <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3680E488-4ED6-4EC7-966D-9504717B4BEE@microsoft.com...> Hi Ramesh>> You could use a messages box to tell users that they...

Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg
How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, or data table? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. -- thanks tweaver On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, >or data table? Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and ...

Calculated field & hiding #Error results
I have a calculated field in a report I am running in Access 2003. The report shows attendance percentages for 3 shifts over 3 zones. However, only one shift has employees in the third zone, the other two do not. When I run the report I get #Error because the calculated field is: =[Zone1Actual]/[Zone1AuthRoll] and Zone 1, for example, does not have an Authorized roll number so the calculation is zero divided by zero. I thought that the following might work: =Nz([Zone1Actual])/Nz([Zone1AuthRoll]) But I still get #Error in this field on the report. Any suggestions? =IIf([Zone1AuthRoll]=...

Prevent duplication in a field
Hi (Access 2003) Is there any way to check that the data typed into a field (e.g. 201-150-500) is not duplicated as I leave the field, not after exitinng after all of the form is filled in as happens now Regards Ken Use the control's before update event to check your values. If you want to stop the update then: MsgBox the user optionally Me.controlname.undo Cancel=True Me.controlname.setfocus -- Pictou "Ken" wrote: > Hi > (Access 2003) Is there any way to check that the data typed into a field > (e.g. 201-150-500) is not duplicated as I leave the field, no...

Editing
Hi! Could you please tell me how to remove a linked transaction within the budget planner. For example, I have a double entry under the debt category. ...

Calculating additional fields on a Quote Form
Hi there, I have this percentage custom field I convert into a money field using javascript which is added to the detail amount. I then calculate the tax in order to get a total amount. The problem is when i use the below script, when I save twice the correct total amount appears, but when I save and close a totally different total amount appears SCRIPT function OnSave() { crmForm.all.totalamountlessfreight.DataValue = (crmForm.all.totallineitemamount.DataValue / 100) * crmForm.all.discountpercentage.DataValue + crmForm.all.totallineitemamount.DataValue; crmForm.all.totaltax.DataVal...

Macro to edit details
Hi, i am currently trying to create a macro regarding editing staf details on a worksheet....... therefore i recorded a macro and named it editstafflist, i highlighte my headings...and then went to 'data > form' and then had to close th form and then stop my macro. It wouldnt allow me to stop my macr whilst the dialogue box was open. Anyways after stopping the macro drew out a button and assigned this 'editstafflist' macro to it. saved my sheet and then clicked on the button, but a error '1004' kep occuring, can anyone please help me on this as i am rather stuck ...

editing a drop down #2
that's not one of my choices. -- kateweb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kateweb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16301 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276931 what do you mean by this .. is it greyed out on the toolbar or shows "any value"? if you'ld like to tell me where you downloaded it from i can go have a look at it cheers JulieD "kateweb" <kateweb.1fictb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kateweb.1fictb@excelfor...

Data collection Form Edit
We have a form which will be used almost daily, for data collection, based on a query. During the test we found a typo in one of the field labels where a brief description is included. Is there some way to edit the form? (recreating it with all the custom lables is just too long a task). Another issue on this topic, every time the form is sent, the messge reverts to the default "Please fill out the form and retunr it to me". Can this default message be changed? Nothing in the help functions. Any advice, or deirection to a learning resource will be appreciated. Thanks is adva...

Money 2007 and Vista user account control
I have noticed a nasty behavior when running Money 2007 on Vista ultimate. If uer acount control is turned on Money opens the file in program files then writes all its changes to the vitural store. When I close Money and open it again the file that is opened is the old file from program files not the file that contains the changes made last time. Is there another way to fix this behavior other than turning UAC off? Thanks in advance John A. Dwyer, MCSE In microsoft.public.money, John A. Dwyer, MCSE wrote: >I have noticed a nasty behavior when running Money 2007 on Vista ultimat...

Setting caret in edit control & activating it.
Hello Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an edit control ? Nicholas Take a look at the CEdit::SetSel() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Nicholas Kingsley" <nickk@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:3f9d418a$0$106$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Hello > > Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an > edit control ? > > Nicholas > > If you are asking how to create & use your own caret in an edit control then check...

"Windows PowerShell Cookbook" by Lee Holmes second edition draft available for viewing and comments
O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and comments at http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ - Larry In message <exi7SKRyKHA.2552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Larry__Weiss <lfw@airmail.net> writes >O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition >of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and >comments at > > http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ > > - Larry > Aw...

Sorting/Grouping
Hello, I have two problems with Acc2003, it worked fine with acc97. 1) I have a report with Sorting/grouping section and I want that every group should start a new page. I set the Force New Page to Before Section. Now with acc2003 the first page is blank. (the After Section doesn't work either) 2) I always use the short cut Ctrl+Brk to copy from the previous line. When I change the keyboard mode to Hebrew by pressing Alt+Shif, the form opens in Design mode. Acc97 was no problem. Abe ...

Having Insert button functionality while editing
Hi, I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my while application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing my text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text should become "alzha". Please suggest. Thanks in advance. Regards, Arjun CEdit does not support that by default. Here is a good example of how implement this (Although I think UpdateCaret should just be a method of CXEdi...