Does OL have maximum # of contacts?

OL 2002;  Windows XP

The new entries in Contacts are not appearing trying to address
email.  After clicking the TO button to get me to the directory of
email addresses, new entries are not appearing and haven't been for a
couple of months.  There are 2,228 contacts.  Does anyone know if OL
2002 has a maximum number of entries that Contacts can handle?  If
not, is there anything I can do with OL 2002 to fix this problem?

Thanks,
0
The

There is not  a maximum number of contacts (except with Hotmail and the
Outlook Connector, but it doesn't work with Outlook 2002 - the Hotmail limit
is 1000).

Are you using more than one contacts folder? If you have more than one
contacts folder, make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address
book. Right click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook
Address Book. Is the box to enable as email address book is checked?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

"The Hun" <ed@LAocean.com> wrote in message
> OL 2002;  Windows XP
>
> The new entries in Contacts are not appearing trying to address
> email.  After clicking the TO button to get me to the directory of
> email addresses, new entries are not appearing and haven't been for a
> couple of months.  There are 2,228 contacts.  Does anyone know if OL
> 2002 has a maximum number of entries that Contacts can handle?  If
> not, is there anything I can do with OL 2002 to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks,

0
Diane
4/23/2010 7:46:23 PM
On Apr 23, 12:46=A0pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com>
wrote:
> There is not =A0a maximum number of contacts (except with Hotmail and the
> Outlook Connector, but it doesn't work with Outlook 2002 - the Hotmail li=
mit
> is 1000).
>
> Are you using more than one contacts folder? If you have more than one
> contacts folder, make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email addr=
ess
> book. Right click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook
> Address Book. Is the box to enable as email address book is checked?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net

> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?http://forums.s=
lipstick.com/showthread.php?t=3D42402

> "The Hun" <e...@LAocean.com> wrote in message

> > OL 2002; =A0Windows XP
>
> > The new entries in Contacts are not appearing trying to address
> > email. =A0After clicking the TO button to get me to the directory of
> > email addresses, new entries are not appearing and haven't been for a
> > couple of months. =A0There are 2,228 contacts. =A0Does anyone know if O=
> > 2002 has a maximum number of entries that Contacts can handle? =A0If
> > not, is there anything I can do with OL 2002 to fix this problem?
>
> > Thanks,

I followed your directions and, yes, the Contacts folder is "checked"
to be an email Address Book.  But maybe the problem is elsewhere.
Earlier, I max'd out my pst file and had to create this new pst.  The
tech support person who did that for me ended up stumbling and had to
try again.  His 2nd and 3rd attempts left me with the following folder
list now showing in my Folder List:

#1 --  Personal Folders   (this is the old file that max'd out)
#2 --  Personal Folders   (all folders in this file are empty)
#3 --  Personal Folders 3-11-10   (unable to expand.  ERROR message:
"...could not be found")
#4 --  Outlook Today - [Personal Folders 3-11-2010]   (new pst file:
folders in this file contain all new emails since 3-11-10)
#5 --  Personal Folders 3-11-2010   (this set of folders is an exact
and continual mirror of the new #4 pst file)

I need to have continual access to email in the old file ( #1 ) and
would like it to remain as is.

I don't need file #2.

I don't need file #3.

I DO need file #4. This file has all my new emails.

I don't know what would happen if I tried to delete file #5 because
it's a continual mirror of #4.

Can you help?  The tech support person was really stumbling through
this and was unsure of what he was doing.

Thanks,
0
Scot
4/25/2010 1:05:30 AM
All things considered, I'd make a new profile and set it up to use the new
pst as default and add the old pst to it.  See
http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/profile/profile.htm for the steps.

You could try to repair the profile and remove the ghosts if you want - see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm - if it fails, you'll need a
new profile anyway, so nothing lost but your time.

> [...]

> #2 --  Personal Folders   (all folders in this file are empty)
> #3 --  Personal Folders 3-11-10   (unable to expand.  ERROR message:
> "...could not be found")
> #4 --  Outlook Today - [Personal Folders 3-11-2010]   (new pst file:
> folders in this file contain all new emails since 3-11-10)
> #5 --  Personal Folders 3-11-2010   (this set of folders is an exact
> and continual mirror of the new #4 pst file)
>
> I need to have continual access to email in the old file ( #1 ) and
> would like it to remain as is.
>
> I don't need file #2.
>
> I don't need file #3.
>
> I DO need file #4. This file has all my new emails.
>
> I don't know what would happen if I tried to delete file #5 because
> it's a continual mirror of #4.
>
> Can you help?  The tech support person was really stumbling through
> this and was unsure of what he was doing.

0
Diane

Importing new contacts from Outlook Client (v card)
If someone sends me a v-card, is there a method to track that info into my crm contact list while appropriately categorizing that information? ...

Attach OL
I'd like to save certain e-mails I get to a data storage area (example: D:\DataStorageArea) and have the email retrievable to an Access db record. Is there any way I can do this so that the link to the email will open up lets say Word (which is my e-mail editor)? Thanks Phil ...

Importing Outlook 2003 Contacts to WSS
I posted this to the WSS newsgroup, with no joy and a recommendation to post it here. So, hopefully someone can help. I am running the latest greatest version of Outlook - 2003 with BCM, on WinXP SP2 box. Brand new box by the way. I am attempting to import Contacts from Outlook 2003 into WSS using standard WSS import capablity associated with the Contacts Web Part. When I click on the "Import Contacts" link in the WSS Contacts Web Part I am asked to insert the Office2003 Professional CD. The CD will spin for about 5 minutes after inserting and eventually returns an error- &qu...

event id 1233
We are getting event ID 1233 alerts for a handful of users. The message/alert states that the user has exceeded a configured maximum of open messages. The message is only displayed in the Ex2k application log and not in the outlook client interface. Also, users don't report having more than a few messages open at the time of the alert. I can't find any client rules/constraints. Where is this limit set? Are these users using some sort of desktop synchronizing problem, such as to a Blackberry or PDA? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick ...

OWA Maximum Signature Length
I have a user that wants to increase the size of the signature in OWA. I have found the Outlook Web Access Web Administration tool, and it mentions that it makes it easy to set options that were previously only set through the registry. I have searched for a registry setting for maximum signature length, but have come up empty. The environment is Windows Small Business Server 2003, so I cannot install the tool on their server. I am hoping to avoid having to install the tool on a client machine. Thanks, Greg GregA <GregA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a user th...

Prevent Contacts forcing parentheses around NPA in overlayed area
The Denver Metro area has overlayed NPA (area) codes of 303 & 720 and doesn't allow a prefix of 1 (Country code / long distance code). Outlook Contacts forces parentheses, (), around the NPA if the Country Code is abesent. If the Country Code is present, Outlook Contacts doesn't force parentheses around the NPA. Parentheses indicate that the NPA is not rerquired. Thus, if one lives in the Denver Metro area, Contacts displays local number incorrectly. Is there a work-around for this? Thanks! Gottfried54;146296 Wrote: > The Denver Metro area has overlay...

Selecting exixting contacts
Hi, I'm in need of a solution that is similar to the one in the order form. In the order form there is a option to select 'existing contacts'. I tried to replicate this in vain. I have a custom entity that has referential relationship to contacts. On clicking the contacts, it has the option of creating a new contact and no option to select exising contacts. Any help wil be appreciated. regards, Arvin I am in the same boat. I really don't understand why this is not available. Looks like it forces the user to use the Relationship entity but really doesn't ma...

How to import contacts and companies into CRM 4
We have recently upgraded from CRM 3 to CRM 4. In CRM 3 you could import contacts and associate them to a company via the company GUID. I want to import both contacts and companies at the same time and link them together. Is this possible? I know the standard import tool is very basic and does not have the capability to do this. Your help will be most appreciated. Have you seen the Data Migration Manager Tool? It may do what you're looking for. http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/04/microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0-data-migration-manager-with-john-o-donnell.aspx "Wayne ...

OL 2002 applying rules inconsistently
Hi Does ANYONE have the fix for this: OL 2002/XP pro/POP3 mail A SIMPLE rule gets applied only sometimes automatically, always works manually: "THRU <specified account>:MOVE TO <specified folder>" There are no other rules. Thanks, Ali ...

starting OL 2000 with the /prefetch:1 command line switch
I have just become aware of the: /prefetch:1 command line switch to make applications start faster. For some reason, it works on my OE 6 program (and many others I have installed on my Pentium IV PC running XP Home SP2) but not on my OL 2000 program. When I start OL2000 with the following command line: "E:\Microsoft Office\Outlook2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /prefetch:1 I get an error message that says: the command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using. Any ideas? Jay J <sonrisa322@comcast.net> wrote: > When I start OL2000 with the follo...

Contact Manager re-intall
After choosing not to use BCM (Business Contact Manager) when I first started with Outlook 2003 I now find myself interested in using it. How do I activate it? I have reinstalled BCM a number of times but I am probably overlooking something simple but I find there are no menu items, dialog box, comm or other add-ins that will allow me to turn it on. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Do you have an Exchange account in your profile? If so, BCM won't run. You'll have to create another profile with either a POP3 or IMAP4 account or no email account at all. Then BCM shuld lo...

How do I make OL synchronize w/ current email provider?
I currently have AOL as my internet provider, and want to become familiar with Outlook, but did not want it to be my email default, I thought I could have Outlook synchornize with my AOl email. Is this correct? And if so, how can I make that happen? In news:62F20161-05A4-464B-8E84-D5DFE6C06AAB@microsoft.com, Karen <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I currently have AOL as my internet provider, and want to become > familiar with Outlook, but did not want it to be my email default, I > thought I could have Outlook synchornize with my AOl email. Is this > correct? ...

link email address to contact
Outlook 2000 > Want to see automatically in the email contact column the name of my contact list when a contact email arrives. How can I do this? Linking an email address to a contact is not available imo. May be a way around? Thanks,Tom EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com "email contact column?" Honor us with an explananation of what you might mean. We could have no idea. I'm sure you already realize that the sender controls that information, right? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Tom" wrote in message news:20071121421...

how delete all contacts in outlook
I recently setup a new computer and imported a cvs file to Outlook contacts. It created a separated contacts file, now I have 3 contacts folders, one Contacts has only names init, Contacts in Mswings11@hotmail.com has all information in it, a second contacts has all information in it. Outlook 2007, Was there a question you wanted to post? If so state it clearly. -- Russ Valentine "mswings" <mswings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D849E912-A92F-4F70-B9C1-F1488F5AF202@microsoft.com... >I recently setup a new computer and imported a cvs file t...

Moving All Contacts from Express to Outlook
After using Outlook Express for years I am trying to convert to Outlook 2002. I imported all my emails, folder etc just fine but I am struggling with the contacts. It imported some of my contacts but in Express I had several distribution lists that it didnt import. Also I can't figure out how to set them up in Outlook 2002 as seperate distribution lists. What am I missing? Thanks! <tisterryak@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1169839371.055253.323090@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > After using Outlook Express for years I am trying to convert to Outlook > 2002. I impor...

What is the difference between contacts, accounts and business co.
Why use contacts vs. business contacts vs. accounts in the contacts part of Outlook? ...

OL 2003
win Xp-Office 2003-OL2003. Its been a disaster...the worst ever product I bought. THe OL hangs (not responding). tried to follow all solutions-changed profile, options-other-name corrected, installed- reinstalled, nothing helps. the OL jsut stops responding after opening and the needs to be shut down (with the icon in the tray showing the message of ol server....which O don't use). Any help will be appreciated. Have you also tried this one: You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file. This is the file that stores your toolbar customizations, and when it becomes corrupted, Outlo...

How to print contacts with attachment
I need to print contacts via CRM. Every contact I have in the system has a Document attached in the notes area. When I click the print button I need it to print the contact information and the Document with it. For the sake of simplicity I need this to only be one operation. Thank you for any thoughs on this matter:) Hi Kaja, I'm pretty sure there isn't a solution on the market that would help with this. One option might be to get a .net programmer to write a peice of code to pull the two contents together - suspect this will be cumbersome. Another way of thinking about this - why...

Upgrading OL 2K SP 3 to OL 2K3
Per subject, I am concerned about what will happen concerning the handling of attachments. In my current version (OL 2K SP 3) Outlook disables the activation of all suspect attatchments. There is NO configuration to change this in this scenario. I know that later versions of OL allowed for an attachment config. Will I be able to do an "upgrade", or will I be forced to remove OL 2K and reinstall OL 2K3 to get this ability? Thanks! -Frank Outlook 2000 (SP3) allows you to customize which attachments you want to see by modifying the registry. Perhaps http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

contacts and personal address book
Hi all - I am very confused. I am using Outlook 2000 not on an Exhange server What is the difference between the entries in my personal address book and those in my contacts folder? I have entered info in the Address Book for hundreds of people, and can see all of that info in my Contacts. However, when I update an entry in my address book, I have to double click on the entry for the same person in the Contacts folder to get it update. So: 1. Aren't the Address Book and Contact List redundant? Aren't they doing the same thing? I don't want to update info in 2 places....

Contacts that contain a birthday disappear from the contact list
Hi, I need some help please. I have imported all my Outlook Contacts into Windows Live Mail - no problem occured. They are ALL available on the Live Contacts web-page - fine They were all available in Windows Live Mail Contacts but then all the contacts that contain a birthday disappeared. They remain however available on the Live Contacts web-page. Does anybody have a solution to this problem please ? Update to the Windows Live Communications Platform Lost Contacts bug - Contacts.msi http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!4771.entry -- M...

Scroll to end of Contacts / Accounts / Leads
The navigation here needs some work or I'm completely overlooking something. At any given time, when I'm in the middle of my Contacts pool in CRM, I can click the arrow that point to left with an underline and be taken immediately to the very first record. However, there is no arrow that points to the right with an underline under it to take me to the very end. Users complain that sometimes all they want to see is the number of records and it should be easier to do within CRM - are we missing something? If your view is sorted by, say, name, you can use the alphabet bar to go to...

Moving from OL 97 to OL 2003
I finally convinced my wife to replace her computer. We moved from Win 98 & Office 97 (OL97/98) to Win XP Home & Office 2003 pro. I installed the new computer on our home network to facilitate moving her data and everything works okay but Outlook. I copied her old Outlook.pst (from the OL97 machine) to the new computer and tried to import it into OL2003. I got a msg saying I couldn't do it. So.... I found the newly created pst file (from OL2003), deleted it, and replaced it with the 97 pst file. I don't think that was very smart because now, when in OL2003, I see two personal...

Backing up your Contacts
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01F2_01CAF855.C8001E40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I'm new to these newsgroups. Can anyone tell me how to back up only my Contacts, just in case my computer crashes and I loose everything. Thank You ______________ David C. Stevens 14 Broadview Avenue Berlin, New Jersey 08009-1618 E-Mail : dcms61@verizon.net and/or David.C.Stevens@verizon.net Residence : (856) 767-2856 Mobile : (609) 605-0590 P Please consider the environment before pri...

Maximum text, digit in cell
I'm running excel 2000 under windows nt. Just as a trivia, does anyone know the maximum numeric value that can be entered into a cell? Or does it not matter since Excel will translate it to scientific notation? Thank you! ...