Do/Can Public folders synch with GAL???

I am now being told by IT that Public Folders do not synch with the Exchange
Global Address List, but are another duplicated source of contacts. And so
they will not put Public folders in place. Is this true? Or is there a way
to synchronise them?

I want to use Public folders to share company contact lists and use the
enriched functionality of Outlook, but does seem limited if they won't sync
with the GAL. The GAL is used to feed other data systems and so has to link
up.

Any thoughts would be welcome- and thank you for responses to my previous
posts

Ozman <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I am now being told by IT that Public Folders do not synch with the
> Exchange Global Address List, but are another duplicated source of
> contacts. And so they will not put Public folders in place. Is this
> true? Or is there a way to synchronise them?

Both the GAL and Public Folders are Exchange constructs and so you should be
asking your question in an Exchange newsgroup like
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.exchange.admin .  Yes, the GAL
and Public Folders can be sources of Contacts, but they're not duplicates.
The GAL usually contains contacts for people with mailboxes on the Exchange
server, while Public Contacts Folders can contain contact entries for
anyone, including people with whom your company does business.  I think your
IT staff should read more about the uses of the GAL and Public Folders.

> I want to use Public folders to share company contact lists and use
> the enriched functionality of Outlook, but does seem limited if they
> won't sync with the GAL. The GAL is used to feed other data systems
> and so has to link up.

If those company contact lists of which you speak refer to contacts for
people in other companies whom you wish to track and whose addresses you
want anyone in your company to be able to access, then a Public Contact
Folder is a great tool for the purpose.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)

CAN SOMEONE HELP?
When I click on an interent webpage link in an email message it opens the Locate Link Browser instead of opening the webpage. In Type of Files: it says it's an executable file. I can get around it most of the time by copying and pasting the link into the web address area but sometimes people send me links that are words such as: Baby Alice Pictures, this link used to open internet explorer and sent me to a website with my mates baby pictures on it, now it won't open and when copied and pasted it doesn't work. This just started one day, I can't remember changing any set...

how can i fix my excel software?
Hi what do you mean with 'fix Excel'. What exact problems do you have? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "kiki" <kiki@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:F798B579-C1BD-4D4D-9443-55E146E74273@microsoft.com... > Maybe by describing what's wrong with it in the BODY of the message? Regards, Peo Sjoblom "kiki" wrote: > kiki Below is a number of definitions and synonyms for "fix". Direct us to the one that most closely describes your problem. Entry: fix Part of Speech: noun Definition: dilemma ...

Can's fulfill and Fulfillment does not update the Qty. on Hand
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C97D3F.20E80CE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello Folks, I desperately need some help and it is a challenge as well. 1.. All of sudden, our fulfillment process for SOP in shipping has = stopped working.=20 2.. When we try to fulfill an order, it does not prompt to the BIN to = allocate the qty. and if we click the BIN manually then an error message = pops saying " max bin qty has already been selected"=20 3.. If we override it, th...

Can't open file: check permissions on the folder
I have a csv file that I open every morning but do not save to the computer. each day that I open it it adds a numerical addition to the name. (i.e. invfile1, invfile 2 etc.). when it gets to 100, I can no longer open the file. what can I do to fix this Clear the Temporary Internet Files folder. This will clear the OLK** folder as well. To manually clear the OLK** folder you'll have to open the Temporary Internet Files folder from a command prompt. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 ...

Can't set hyperlink to Word bookmark
Excel 2007 (& Word 2007) Vista Enterprise SP1 This topic has been covered re older versions of Excel, with no definitive answer. I want to hyperlink a certain Excel cell to a specific point in a Word document. I select the cell, hit Ctrl-k, and navigate to the file. The path and file appear in the address problem. I then press the Bookmark button. The following message appears: "Microsoft Office Excel could not open this file or could not parse a file of this type." [Why not? It's the same Office version?] The Show Help button unhelpfully says that certai...

How to navigate to a password protected network folder
Hello all, I have a folder stored on my work VPN. In Windows Explorer, after connecting to the VPN, I can navigate to the folder by typing its address in the address bar. Windows then asks me for some logon credentials and I can navigate the folder. Trying to use PowerShell to navigate to the same folder brings up an "Access Denied" message. I was wondering if there was any way to enter my user credentials so that PowerShell can navigate the location? Thanks --Amr I assume that you talk about network share. In this case you need to use NET USE command: net u...

Lost folders in hotmail after using Outlook Connector
I downloaded outlook connector and all of my hotmail items transferred to my outlook fine. However, I just noticed that all of my folders from hotmail were also synched to outlook, and have disappeared from hotmail. I still have the emails in my outlook (2007), however I really need to synch the emails back into my hotmail account - as there are folders on there that I cannot lose so that's why I stick with hotmail - to have web-based storage for these emails should something ever happen to my laptop. How can I get these folders to appear back into my hotmail account? I p...

Personal Folders #22
I created an Outlook.pst data file on my removable drive. Now Outlook shows 2 Personal Folders: the default file and my own. How do I delete the default Personal Folders so I can automatically go to my own file when opening Outlook 2007? See if the info here helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011124801033.aspx "edkhoury" <edkhoury@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24C0EF27-2056-4AB6-8D90-4B3CD581D80F@microsoft.com... > I created an Outlook.pst data file on my removable drive. Now Outlook > shows 2 > Personal Folders: the default f...

Problem with outgoing emails not moving to the sent items folder
Hi all, I've just started having a problem with outgoing emails. They are sent but stay in my outbox and keep sending themselves with out moving to the sent items folder. I get incoming emails fine but this is causing my mates grief. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Paul I had the same problem and found out that it was MacAfee Antivirus scanning your outgoing email that caused the trouble. I turned it off and all is well. good luck >-----Original Message----- >Hi all, >I've just started having a problem with outgoing emails. They are sent but >stay in my outbo...

Public Folder Access Denied
Hi, i've got a problem with the public folders on exchange 2003 and outlook 2003. If a user clicks on the public folder in outlook he get's a acces denied message. he cold se all the folders - but theres nothing th see in them. some users don't have this - the difference between the two usergroups is that the users where the problem occurs had duplicate aliases because of user-account migration. If we try to acces the public folder using owa - this still works well - all objects in the public folders are visible. Any suggestions? Thanx - Tomes thomas.keck@e-labs.net (netgrapper...

Pub Folder Calendar & Summer Time problem
Hi All, Forgive me if this is a simple question, however shared Calendar folders in Public Folders seem to have a problem with DST changeover. The issue is that all appointments that have been made by a client computer *prior* to the switch to DST later skew forward by an hour when your client computer then moves into DST time. I can't for the life of me figure out the mechanism of this problem as it doesn't occur in private calendars or on email timestamps, and frankly I would have thought all such things would be tracked against UTC time + offset. Server is Win2003, Exch...

Cache enable GAL problem
when the cache setting is enable on exchange, users cannot access the updated global access list.. we are using Exchange 2003, Office 2003 Pro, and Windows 2003 server. thanks Any error messages on the Exchange server event viewer? "wern" wrote: > when the cache setting is enable on exchange, users cannot access the updated > global access list.. we are using Exchange 2003, Office 2003 Pro, and > Windows 2003 server. thanks ...

mail enabled public folder displays mail as IMP.poster
I have created a mail enabled public folder for handeling a newsletter. the folder displays received mail as IMP.post rather than a Message/Note. I have read the http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817809 KB, However there is no such reg entry. I need to know which messages were replied to by our staff. Also; This folder will receive around one thousand bounces/replies bi weekly, is this a bad idea for a SBS box with Exchange SP2 applied. FYI, the newsletter is not sent from this machine, we only receive the return mail. should I just recreate a user mailbox? this was the origional setup, a...

Excel 2007 bug? can't add my color to current sheet
I do address formatting for property management- I need specific colors to show on my working sheet-yet when I add the colors- I can't see them. they only show up if I check preprint- I need to see them now. Is this a bug or what..It will not show up, how do I get this in. I'm getting frustrated with this new excel, I thought it was supposed to be easier. someone please help.. rosemaryas@msn.com -- rose Rose See one reply to your other posting in excel.worksheet.functions No need to multi-post, just keep an eye on your first post. If you can't find your other post here i...

Can't remove license from user
I get an error message when I try to remove a license from a user "the selected object could not be found. Verify that the object exists in both the database and active directory" The user does still have an active directory account and I don't know where to find it in the database If anyone can help, I am sure I am not the only one with this issue look for a post made at 4.04pm in this news group, explains it all. "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:118DF4C6-24F5-4D65-9C36-93563DBC1301@microsoft.com... > I get an error mess...

Urgent: How can make a delivery note
Hi, how can I print a delivery Note in POS ,which contain only the quantities and customer info (No Prices) and Delivery order in Header. thanks ...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Lines of a particular slope that can be moved around #3
Hi, Thanks John and Bernard. John, I have followed your approach and i seems fine, though I would ideally like to do the latter part of th approach too - making trendlines from a subset of points. I haven' tried that as yet. I will do so and get back in case I have an trouble. Bernard, I did put "Excel forum help" in the subject line of my email I am sending the file again - though I have a reasonable idea as to ho to do it now. Thanks again. Ra -- routera ----------------------------------------------------------------------- routeram's Profile: http://www.excelforum.c...

How can I get my Outlook custom fields into CRM?
We are trying to get Exchange data into CRM. I can export from public folders into a text file and then DTS into SQL Server for use with the CDF staging database. But the problem is that I can only export the standard Outlook fields. None of the custom fields we created comes over. I can view the contents of the custom fields in a grid and then copy and paste the contents into Excel but any CR/LFs in the data are preserved and I end up with several lines for each record. How can I get the custom data out of Exchange in a relational format? ...

Can't Mount Mailbox Stores
Getting an Error when I Try to mount the Mailbox Stores. Event Type: Error Event Source: ESE Event Category: Logging/Recovery Event ID: 517 Date: 4/19/2007 Time: 11:25:50 AM User: N/A Computer: {Computer Name} Description: Information Store (3256) #####: Database recovery failed with error -551 because it encountered references to a database, 'Mailbox Store Path, which does not match the current set of logs. The database engine will not permit recovery to complete for this instance until the mismatching database is re-instated. If the database is truly no longer available or no lo...

I help Public Folder Rights
I have taking over the job of exchange admin. My first real job is to clean up the public folders. My main problem is that the EVERYONE group has rights to create folders. I have tried to remove this right, but can't. It is inherited. So I figured I'd go to the source and remove the rights there. I can not find the source. Any help? Mike 328808 HOW TO: Remove User Permission from the Create Top-Level Public Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328808 -- Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is fo...

Can download web statements from one user login but not another in XP
When I login into money as user1 I can download my credit card statement into my without a problem. But when I am logged in as user2 the downloads will not work. The computer quickly does something when I initiate the download but I don't get and error message and nothing happen. Note the same file is used on both login cases? Any help out there?? ...

Business domain vs. Public (free web email domains)
Business domain vs. Public (free web email domains) I am in search of some documents that detail on why a business (corporation) should block its exchange users from email from their business domain accounts (@mybusiness.com) to public email entities using @yahoo.com, @hotmail, @freeemail.com and so forth you can use Recipient Filtering... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Sender-Recipient-Filtering.html -- "Mr. Backup" wrote: > Business domain vs. Public (free web email domains) > > > > I am in search of some documents that detail on why a busine...

if I can solve some problems in my excel program by using office .
There is several days that I can not open any of my files of excel infact I can not open the program itself.Whenever I try to do that a message appears that asks me a Microsoft office XP professional with front page disk which I have not .I want to know that if I can solve the problem with any online updates for offices or windows or not ,in short is it any way that I can solve the matte through microsoft online or not? Hi sounds like re-installing could be a good idea :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Maryam" <Maryam @discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im...

Emails won't mark as read in public folder
Recently I have found at a client site that a public folder which is mail enabled and receiving orders for a client won't allow any user to mark the mail as read, it all remains as unread. The setting for "Maintain per-user read and unread information for this folder" is unchecked as several users monitor the folder and need to know when mail has been looked at. When I check this box each user can mark mail as read, turn it back on and it all goes back to unread. I have noticed that there is several such posting on other forums but each one doesn't contain a solution. Would...