Display As = File as & (address in parens)

I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
something changed.

I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.

In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH".

In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
one.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
each one manually?

2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
them?

There's no way to control this other than to change each field individually.
The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>something changed.
>
> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>
> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
> SMITH".
>
> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
> one.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
> each one manually?
>
> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
> them?

0
russval1 (2100)
1/3/2006 10:07:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me is
that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert an
email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If you're
sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in there with
both File As names AND email addresses.

Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.

> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
> individually.
> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
> address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>something changed.
>>
>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>
>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
>> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>> SMITH".
>>
>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>> each one.
>>
>> So I have two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
>> each one manually?
>>
>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>> them?

To submit product or service suggestions to Microsoft:

(NOTE: You must be connected to the Internet.)

  1. Within the specific Microsoft Office product, navigate to the Help
menu.
  2. Click the "Contact Us" option.
  3. You can then use the "Make a Suggestion" link on the webpage to submit
any suggestion. This posts the suggestion to the "Microsoft Community". The
Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can submit suggestions for
Microsoft products and see suggestions that others have made. Community
participants vote for suggestions, and Microsoft uses the votes to help
prioritize features in upcoming versions.

--
> Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me
> is that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert
> an email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If
> you're sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in
> there with both File As names AND email addresses.
>
> Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
> about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
> please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
>> individually.
>> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
>> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual
>> email address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>>something changed.
>>>
>>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>>
>>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".
>>> But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>>> SMITH".
>>>
>>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>>> each one.
>>>
>>> So I have two questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to
>>> do each one manually?
>>>
>>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>>> them?

0
russval1 (2100)

Dual Displays

Renaming file
Hello all, Hope this is the right group and someone can help me further. I have a mainly VBA question but it is (should be...) a part of my access DB utility. I would like to create a Sub to rename a file in a windows directory. I know that in a directory there in a file which has a part '_SB' on in the name, I would like to rename this file to lets say Test_SB.PDF. Before the rename action, I will check if the file expected it there (FileExists). I cant figure out using fso how to get the full name of the file containing the '_SB' (maybe like FirstTest_SB.ASC) and then...

Maximum File Size #2
What is the maximum recommended file size for an Excel workbook? Hi see: http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:EC7732CE-8678-426A-8400-0836D87D80D8@microsoft.com... > What is the maximum recommended file size for an Excel workbook? ...

Folder could not be displayed

open excel file
i have problem with a excel file. the file is not to big. its has 5 tabs only. and when i click on to one of the "tabs" the excel gives me a error message as "not reponding". and this happens with this particular tab only. any help "Rohit" wrote: > i have problem with a excel file. the file is not to big. its has 5 tabs > only. and when i click on to one of the "tabs" the excel gives me a error > message as "not reponding". and this happens with this particular tab only. > > any help Try looking at thi...

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

HELP! Splitting a 200mg+ file into smaller files
I starting putting together a very large family journal in MS Publisher 2002. I am now at a file size over 200MG and am less then 10% complete with the project. I can not find a way to split the file into "chapters" of smaller units. Is it possible? Can I have 20 or 30 files that link together and act as one? Where can I find information out on this subject? Jim If I were faced with this project I'd create a pub file for each chapter then make each chapter a pdf file and then join the pdf files into one file. I use Publisher 2000 so it would require me to open two Publ...

Huge file size
I have a excel file that has all of a sudden grown to a huge size 19,278,336 . It is stock market data with a worksheet for each year of data (1968 to 2004). So 35 worksheets. For years it has always run about 1.8 meg. Just this year it has all of a sudden grown with no real difference in the data I add each day. Each row has 9 columns of data advances, declines, etc. There are 21 columns that make calculations based on the preceding 9 columns. But years 1968 - 2003 just have data, not formulas. I converted the cells to numbers from formulas. And I had several charts, but I de...

file attachment #4
Could anyone suggest how to override the setting that I have in Outlook Express? I try to send a file attachment with my emails and it deletes them when I send the email out. It says OE has deleted the file just in case it has a bug in it.Akkkk! any help would be appreciated. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com...

PK and FK Displayed

Formulas are displayed, results are not

New Address
Finally, my new E-mail address is mwhart@vermontel.net .... and you post it to a newsgroup!!! Just how much spam do you want??? "Melanie" <mwhart@vermontel.net> wrote in message news:ORBxe1T9HHA.4180@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Finally, my new E-mail address is mwhart@vermontel.net "Melanie" <mwhart@vermontel.net> wrote in message news:ORBxe1T9HHA.4180@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Finally, my new E-mail address is mwhart@vermontel.net It's not a good idea for anyone (but especially females) to post an email address in a public newsgroup. Also,...

Trouble Opening WMV File
Running Win XP SP3. Have Corel's (Intervideo) WIN DVD 8 installed, and have this as my program of choice in the Folders entry in control panel as the program to always open WMV programs. When I point to a WMV program and pick play or open, I get a message "File xxx is not a valid Win32 Program." and an abort. However, if I launch WinDVD 8, and have the program point to the file, it opens and plays it perfectly every time. Do I have an error in my system somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help. -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > Running Win XP SP3....

Global address lists
Is it possible to download a Global address list to a file and subsequently import to an outlook address book or personal address bok on a system that is not on an MS exchange server? ...

attching files in outlook 2007
hello, if I try and insert a file into a message in outlook 2007 I only get options to insert or insert as text. in previous versions there was an option to insert as a hyperlink, is this no longer available? I am using outlook/office 2007 with SP2 installed. Thanks in advance for any help. Taffy B "TAFFY" <TAFFY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01D958C4-B54B-4127-BB93-F414AD3D9A68@microsoft.com... > hello, > if I try and insert a file into a message in outlook 2007 I only get > options > to insert or insert as text. in pre...

Publisher 2003 files
I have file I created in Publisher 2003. Can I read them and edit them in Publisher 2007? yep -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Russbe" <Russbe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E21FB024-C659-410D-AD40-D3D1137129F6@microsoft.com... > I have file I created in Publisher 2003. Can I read them and edit them in > Publisher 2007? ...

Stop displaying a line

Multiple email addresses #4
I recently went from Outlook Express to Outlook, importing my Address Book as I went. However, when I am in Outlook, I can only see one email address per contact. That is, if I have two email address for one contact, I can only see the primary one in Outlook. How do I correct? Do you have separate contact items for the several addresses or what? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.gr...

Two address/one box
Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. Thanks! You can set up an alias for the person within the exchange properties (sorry can't remember which tab) "Sam" wrote: > Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people > are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into > one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. > Thanks! ...

Macro to import from a binary file and convert to hex
Excel 97. I have a macro that imports hex and stores the data in a column. Can this be done with a binary file? Import from a binary file and convert to hex and store it in a column? ...