disappearing/reappearing .doc file attachment

I have come across some weird behavior that doesn't make any sense. It
occured on a machine running windows xp pro with office xp pro.

1st message - Received an email with an MS Word attachment (file.doc).
The message had a note in italics stating that a file had been
attached and the message properties also showed that a file was
attached, but when the message was opened no attachment is shown and
there are no messages saying that it had been removed by outlook. Had
the sender resend the attachment.

2nd message - Received and opened message. Attachment icon is there
and attachment is opened and then closed. All seemed fine but opened
the message again later that day and the attachment icon has
disappeared. (Message properties still show that there is a file
attached though). Changed setting in windows folder options to show
hidden files and it reappeared although I think it was a coincidence
because it disappeared again later.

When I clicked on forward the message the attachment icon reappeared.
Sent the message to myself and when it arrived the icon was again
missing. Tried forwarding the original message one more time but added
a second file (of a different type) to it. When the message arrived it
showed both of the file attachments properly. Absolutely bizarre.

If anyone has seen this or something similar I would love to know what
is going on.

Thanks

Dave
0
dbwood (1)

Signature logo disappears on reply
I'm finding that with multiple versions of Outlook, a logo used in the signature disappears when included on a reply/forward. Does anyone know a fix for this? Thanks ...

Search for Filename and Text Within that File
I've been able to locate files with a macro using this: trap: 'error trapping here Dim iCtr As Integer With Application.FileSearch .NewSearch .SearchSubFolders = True .LookIn = "g:\client\" & Range("h6") .Filename = "*ControlSheet.xls" End With With Application.FileSearch If .Execute() > 0 Then MsgBox ("Control Sheet with those parameters does not exist! There are " & .FoundFiles.Count & _ " other Control Sheets for this Client ID.") For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Co...

Saved a file to a floppy now I can't get the file open again
I saved a file to a floppy now I can't open it again. I had it open, closed out of it, and now it will not let me back in. It says my file cannot be accessed. The file maybe read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding. Hi NEVER save directly to a floppy disc from Excel as this is a common cause for file corruption. Always save directly to the harddisc first. So in your case the file is probably corrupted. You may try using OpenOffice (ww.openoffice.org) as it seems to be able to open such corrupted ...

Contact file not visible when importing or exporting contacts
I'm tidying up all my contacts files for email and also for my mobile ph using outlook. Have done this many times without any problems and am familiar with import export process. I exported all the contacts to an excel file to work on as it's much easier than through outlook. Had a hiccup at first as when I got to the select a contact file to export there was just a blank space. I exited outlook and went back in and it was all OK. Now I've finished the excel spreadhsheet and want to reimport it but it's the same problem in reverse. I can't "see" a co...

Folders Are Disappearing !
I have several (Outlook 2007) folders and various rules directing certain emails to certain folders. But some of those folders magically disappear and my rules become useless because everything goes into one folder (inbox). Anyone know why this happens, and what to do about it ? The rules would not work if the folders are not there to move the files (emails) into them, so that part is understable. We just need to address why the folders are disappearing and how to prevent it. I need some clarification on where these folders are located. Are they sub-folders of Personal Folder. I hav...

Contacts Disappearing.
Everytime one of our employees enter a new contact or update a current contact. Some of them disappears or the update does not take place. Thanks I'd first copy them all to a pst so you don't lose anymore. Import them into a test mailbox and see if it has the same issue. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "...

mail Attachment
Hi, I have recently done transition from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007, Now I have coexisting env. The problem is, I am unable to send and recieve email with attachement of more than 2 MB. I can send and recieve 10 MB inside my exchange 2007 organisation, but unable to send outside. I am also using barracuda for SMTP for inbond and outbond mails. -- Regards Adehas On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 02:33:01 -0800, Adehas <Adehas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently done transition from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007, Now >I have coexisting env. The ...

Disappearing Menu Items
I added News to the Go menu of Outlook 2003 as described in the help files. This worked fine for a few days but then it disappeared from the menu list. Even worse it isn't in the Customise options any more so I can't add it again. Now I can only access News groups by starting Outlook Express directly. Anyone know how to add it to the menu items again please? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch...

MS Money Standard 2005
Hello, My mny file and my most recent backup mbf are corrupted and can't be repaired or restored. My most recent prior backup is from May 3rd. I need to repair either my recent backup or my mny file desperately. Can anyone recommend a money file repair company; or better yet point me to a money file specification so that I can fix it myself. I'm a programmer so I'm willing to get into the file and remove the offending transaction or bytes. I can't help but think that this has something to do with the most recent windows update. I understand the corruption of the mn...

Press the / key and the FILE menu highlights
Howdy, I tab to a cell, press the / key, and instead of editing the cell and putting a / at the beginning, Excel highlights the File menu. Does anyone know how I can disable this _feature_? I can already hit the ALT key to accomplish this. If I tab to the cell, hit F2, then / it works, but I'd like to just be able to hit the /. Thanks, Mike You can start the entry with an apostrophy '/ You could preformat the cell as text. You could turn off a transition setting: tools|Options|transition tab remove the slash character from the "Microsoft Office Excel menu key" bo...

updater in system tray disappears
Windows XP SP3, IE7 When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install. It starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes back to let me install the updates. -- Even if I reboot. So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates I want. After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can install these updates now. At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updat...

Moving Public Folder posts to PST file
My company is required to archive all email messages, I have set up a Public Folder to work with message journaling and it serves it's purpose well. My problem is now that the folder has grown quite large I would like to archive it by exporting to PST files. When I try exporting the "posts" from the retained mail folder to a PST file the operation always completes, but it does not have the right amount of mail messages. Anyone ever heard of this? And anyone know how to fix it? On 6 Dec 2005 11:56:31 -0800, "texizboy" <jasonlec@gmail.com> wrote: >My company i...

Need to get a file please
I need to update Office 2002, and the installation stops, asking for the file 'pubret.msi'. I don't have the Publisher CD anymore, can anyone please send me the file, or direct me to a link. Thanks. -- Magnus Jungbeck Best Computer Hi Magnus Jungbeck (MagnusJungbeck@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I need to update Office 2002, and the installation stops, asking for || the file 'pubret.msi'. I don't have the Publisher CD anymore, can || anyone please send me the file, or direct me to a link. Thanks. You cannot update without the CD. In ...

Attachment format changes
Recently sent several e-mails using Outlook that were either pdf or xls format. Receipient got dat files and a warning not to open them. What's going on? How does the format get changed? Make sure you use HTML or Plain Text format when sending messages to Outlook Express users, or users of any other e-mail client besides Outlook. Don't use Rich Text format, which is proprietary to Outlook and will cause problems for other recipients, one of which is that they won't get your attachments and will likely get that ".dat" file instead. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlo...

Mails disappearing.
I tried to move a mail to a folder using "Right Click > Move to folder > OK" without selecting any folders. The default selection was "Personal Folder". Noted that this mail had moved from the inbox. But no idea where the mail has gone. Please help to find those mails. Best Regards Same. Then they are probably in the Outlook Today folder. See here how you can retrieve them; www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mailoutlooktoday.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slip...

CRMbar in Outlook disappears
Hello, On the notebooks of our employees I've installed the Desktop CRM Client. On some of these notebooks after a while, the CRM bar in Outlook disappears. Menu > View > Toolbars > Microsoft CRM is checked, and the only solution that worked for me untill now is to do a Repair from the Client install CD. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Because more and more people are having this problem. Regards, Dirk ...

Print Spreadsheet to PDF file
Hi I am trying to send a spreadsheet to the PDF printer this code sends it to the PDF printer but I can't open the file?, can any body help or explain to me why. Regards Charles Sub CreatePDF() Application.ActivePrinter = "PDF1 on Ne06:" ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut , PrToFileName:="test.pdf" End Sub Check out the below link by Ron http://www.rondebruin.nl/pdf.htm If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "vqthomf" wrote: > Hi I am trying to send a spreadsheet to the PDF printer this code sends...

macro for copying file
How to write a macro which copies a file in one loacation (source location) to other folder (destination). I used the function FileSystemObject.CopyFile "c:\mydocuments\letters\*.doc", "c:\tempfolder\" but it returned error. Can any one help me. Regards, Joseph My bet is you don't have a folder named "c:\mydocuments\letters" or you don't have a folder named "C:\tempfolder" or you don't have any *.doc files in that source folder. (c:\mydocuments could be c:\my documents (with that space character).) But you could check each before ...

opening older/newer files
my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS luhkeekid <luhkeekid@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my > other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS No, there is no plugin or patch. Publisher 2000 will not open files from Publisher 2002 or 2003, or Publisher 1.0. Publisher 2002 and 2003 will open files from all versions of Publisher apart from 1.0. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Micro...

using cell's contents instead of file name
Please, advise whether it's possible to use a cell's contents instead of a file name. If I have "SSS" in A1, how could I use it instead of the FileName in the path reference such as 'C:\Path\[FileName.xls]Sheet1'!$B$25 that FileName would reflect SSS and it would be [SSS.xls] Using Cell("contents",A1) as 'C:\Path\[Cell("contents",A1).xls]Sheet1!$B$25 isn't working. Thanks Hi normally using INDIRECt would work. e.g. =INDIRECT("'[" & A1 & "]Sheet1'!B25") But this won't work for closed workboo...

Restoring Money Drag&Drop Files
I'm trying to help a neighbor who, while using Money 2000, dragged and dropped all his files to zip disks. He now has a new computer with Money 2004 and I have been unable to help him restore these files. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance, Carol In microsoft.public.money, G'ma Carol wrote: >I'm trying to help a neighbor who, while using Money 2000, >dragged and dropped all his files to zip disks. He now >has a new computer with Money 2004 and I have been unable >to help him restore these files. Any suggestions??? Copy only the latest .mny file from the...

Contacts and Address pst file
How do you get the contacts file and the pst address book to have the same data?? Just realized that when I start an email address it finds a name I wanted with no problem but when I went to the address book that name was not in there. I would like the address book to have all the contacts in it also. Is there some way to sync the two?? TonySper "TonySper" <tsperduti@NOSPAMbellsouth.net> wrote in message news:%23DrCMcmeJHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How do you get the contacts file and the pst address book to have the same > data?? Just realized that when I s...

Word Doc
I have a word file that consists of text and a graphic. I'd like to be able to edit it in Publisher. I don't know what program originally created it. Is this possible? -- Catrinka If it is a Word file, then of course Word was used to create the document. If you have Publisher you can copy/paste the objects from Word and adjust them in Publisher. Or you can open Publisher, File, Import Word document. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Catrinka" <Catrinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDAD6803-8D4B-4998-82F6-98A880A5E054@microsoft.com.....

Disappearing M driive
I'm running Windows Server 2000 with exchange 5.5 and caome in today and my m drive is no longer showing up. Tried rebooting and still, no m drive. Have cleaned up the rest of the hard drive and have 2 gb of free space. Am I looking at a reload??? Exchange 5.5 doesn't have IFS capabilities so there is no M:\ drive. Sounds like you may have Citrix installed? If this is actually E2K, then check to make sure that the Information store service is started and/or the databases are mounted. -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Unzip File
Hi all, My VC++ program has to work on some data from zip files. Do you know any technique to unzip file? If I use KPUnzip for example, how can I extract files with my C++ code it without display any thing? Or If you know any free/cheap component support unzip? Thank you, Ben Ben, > Or If you know any free/cheap component support unzip? ZLib most used zip library IMHO and its free. http://www.gzip.org/zlib/ -- Regards, Kobi Ben Tzvi "Ben" <tainhan@ureach.com> wrote in message news:u8egmaigDHA.1408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > My VC++ progra...