Desktop Alert Locks Computer

Greetings,
I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens
occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the
time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC
freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in
these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops
up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it
froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the
PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of
the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Thanks in advance.

Robert
0
rjposey (5)

I see it now and again, it only happens to me when I click on the alert to
open the message. I believe the problem is not the alert specifically but
the computer is using a lot of resources already and clicking the alert puts
it over the edge. It almost always happens when I have a bunch of IE tabs
open and IE is hogging much of my memory. I can usually get out of it by
closing (or crashing) IE and Outlook, but if explorer is also locked or just
moving way too slow, rebooting is much faster.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

<rjposey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens
> occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the
> time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC
> freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in
> these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops
> up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it
> froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the
> PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of
> the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Thanks in advance.
>
> Robert

0
outlookmvp (5838)
2/6/2009 3:56:41 PM
On Feb 6, 9:56=A0am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> I see it now and again, it only happens to me when I click on the alert t=
> open the message. I believe the problem is not the alert specifically but
> the computer is using a lot of resources already and clicking the alert p=
uts
> it over the edge. It almost always happens when I have a bunch of IE tabs
> open and IE is hogging much of my memory. I can usually get out of it by
> closing (or crashing) IE and Outlook, but if explorer is also locked or j=
ust
> moving way too slow, rebooting is much faster.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net

> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/=
community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
> <rjpo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Greetings,
> > I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens
> > occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the
> > time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC
> > freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in
> > these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops
> > up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it
> > froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the
> > PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of
> > the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Thanks in advance.
>
> > Robert

Thanks for your reply. Good to know that I am not crazy at least. I
will continue to just turn off Desktop Alerts where it becomes a
problem. Thanks a bunch!!
0
rjposey (5)

Help Protect Your Computer Today (Immediately)
Hi all. I do apologize if this is duplicated information. However, this may be most helpful to many other customers out there. Rita Nikas Microsoft MVP Lead ritan@microsoft.com 425-704-5700 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------- Purpose: Help Protect Your Computer Today (Immediately) Action: Read about the Blaster worm and update your software immediately. Check the Security site for more information and steps you should take to help protect your systems. URL: h...

Desktop vanishes
I have a similar problem (vanishing desktop) I use Windows XP Professional SP3 on a Dell PC. A) Since Friday 15 January when I launch a program via any icon on my desktop, all icons disappear from the desktop. Also I can no longer right-click on the desktop to get Arrange Icons by/Show desktop icons. When I press Show Desktop on the Taskbar my icons reappear. When I go to the Guest account I do not experience the above problems. Everything works normally there. But when I return to my own desktop there is no longer any way that I can get my icons back. Only the wallpaper is stil...

Sync 2 Desktops
Have PocketPc 2003 on IPAQ 2215. Would like to sync between my laptop, desktop and PDA. Can't seem to get it done. Can do it with Quicken though. Not recommended and, far as I know, not possible. -- Michael Gordon MVP <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03fb01c47243$44c12360$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > Have PocketPc 2003 on IPAQ 2215. Would like to sync > between my laptop, desktop and PDA. Can't seem to get it > done. Can do it with Quicken though. ...

computing formula according to criteria #4
Hi, Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately it doesn'r work. Your suggested formula for average yied 0 - so I'm sticking to the SUMPRODUCT one, and the suggested formula fo STDEV gives the wrong values (I think it has to do with adjacent cells which I don't understand....). There must be a way to do it : -- lior ----------------------------------------------------------------------- liory's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1049 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26138 ...

Outlook Desktop
if I have deleted the Outlook Desktop (the one that has been created automatically after install), how can I restore it? ...

How can I reuse Office 2007 software on a new computer?
I have genuine Office 2007 Pro disc with product key which is installed on my computer. I have a new laptop which will replace my old computer. I want to install the Office suite but get as far as the product key which is recognised as already used and won't let me complete the installation. I am not trying to have multiple copies; I want to remove the software from the old computer as it is being run down so I still only want to use 1 licence. How can I do this? Donna Use the phone activation method and then explain to the person you are talking to. -- Peter P...

desktop freezes while debugging thread
Hello, I have a problem debugging my application with VC 6. When I set a breakpoint in a user thread, sometimes the whole system gets very slow so I have to wait several minutes for each mouse click. Can anyone help? Peter There are some bugs in every version of VS; VS6 tends to hang; VS.NET merely crashes with some kind of internal error. However, there are two other considerations that may come into play. If the thread has a high priority, and it is compute-bound, it will consume massive amounts of computer time, which will make response slow. And if the threads are blocked on a k...

Alert or Reminder or Alarm without "Event"?
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows about a way to create a simple reminder or alert that pops up at a certain time without having to create an event or appointment (which just clogs up the calendar). Or else, if there really is no such independent alert, is there any way to warn you that the end of a meeting is approaching? Thanks for your help! No, but how about an Alarm Clock as a Windows Sidebar Gadget? http://gallery.live.com/search.aspx?q=alarm%20clock -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Ou...

Desktop appearance with a Remote Desktop Connection to W2003
I log into my Win2003 server from a Vista desktop using RDC. When I log in, I see all the same Desktop icons that I would have if I logged into the server at its keyboard. However, they are not organized on the screen properly. So... it's obviously using my profile (it has all the icons) but it's obviously not using the information regarding preferred position/layout. Is there some way I can copy the layout I use when logging in locally to be used when I log in remotely? Thanks, +Bob+ wrote: > I log into my Win2003 server from a Vista desktop using RDC. > ...

switching computers #2
I purchased money 2004 over the internet about 18 months ago. It was downloaded and I was not sent any disks. I want to put 2004 on my new pc, but do not have the correct file to install. What do I do. MSN doesn't seem to be too helpful with their help. If I can't get it to run, I'm switching to Quicken. -- Jps I have been in this situation a few times myself. I simply contacted the place I bought the software from and they gave me whatever I needed to download the program again. Since you bought the program from them in the first place you are automatically regist...

CRM Desktop Client Find Error 07-26-06
We have CRM Desktop Client Installed and when we try to do a find on any custom fields outlook hangs for 5 minutes then we get an internet explorer script error with it pointing to lookupsingle.aspx if you click ok it then finishes with the search. has anyone ran into this before? if we use the laptop client this does not happen. Thanks Bumping up Any help at all I am pulling out my hair. greg.siwicki@gmail.com wrote: > We have CRM Desktop Client Installed and when we try to do a find on > any > custom fields outlook hangs for 5 minutes then we get an internet > explorer &g...

Outlook Desktop Clent
Installed client on 2003 server that will be used as a TS for multiple clients. Installation went OK. When I launch Outlook I get Cannot communicate with CRM server Error. The server is a 2003 SBS with exchange installed on same server. I can connect through the CRM web site - no problem. It should not be a rights issue, I am testing it with the Admin account, I have checked the Registry enties for the MSCRM client they seem correct. ...

configure outlook to receive different emails on 2 computers
Hi- We currently have emails for sales@XXXXXX.co.uk coming into Outlook2003 on one computer without a problem. However, I want emails for nigel@XXXXXX.co.uk to come into Outlook on our other computer. When I set this up with the correct ingoing/outgoing servers (POP3) as mail.XXXXXX.co.uk for ingoing and outgoing we get incoming mails but cannot reply to these or send new ones. Is it possible? Many thanks for any help! The version of outlook is? The mail accounts are unique, ie seperate username / password? The test accounts settings results in what err msg? "lily10"...

Win 7 64 bit KB971468 Update fails and locks PC
Hi, I've installed this update 3x (and related updates all that show "failed" in the update history -- this is the first of the updates to "fail") without success. Each time the update installs and then locks the computer. To get beyond this I need to boot in safe mode, select a restore point prior to installation of update, reboot and go from there. I'm running a Dell d630, with updated drivers, and 4 gb ram. From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971468 " How to obtain help and support for this security update For home users, no-char...

Excel Formula
I am using Excel 2002. I have a simple spreadsheet that shows; Employee Name Employee Hire Date Smith, Ann 08/14/2001 Is there a formula that I can write that will automatically compute how many years an employee has worked? I do not need it date specific as much as month specific. i.e. I would like to know all emloyees that have a hire date in August and how many years they have worked for our company through August. Hi, =YEAR(TODAY())-YEAR(A1) Where A1 is the cell housing your Hire Date. HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr "Penny" &l...

How to customize the length of text preview in desktop alert
How to customize the length of text preview in desktop alert ...

Select a cell and lock it...
Hello, In regards to formulas.... If I enter an "=" sign, as to indicate the beginnings of a formula in one cell, is it possible to select another cell and automatically anchor that specific cell in the formula without having to type the "$" in the forumla... Example... I would like to select B12 as $B$12 and place it in the formula without having to go back and type in the "$" in the cell containing the formula. Is there a key combination that will allow this, or I am stuck having to type those "$"'s everytime? Thanks in advance. Josh ...

Adding a Message Handler Locks Up VS
I have been editing an existing VS C++ project in Visual Studio .Net 2003 (V.7.1) for some time, now. Recently, when I try to add either a message handler or control variable, for a dialog control, to the project using the automated tools, devenv.exe takes 100% CPU for an indefinite period (>10 minutes). At some point patience expires and I kill the process. This does not happen in other projects. I have cleared the directory and reloaded it from SourceSafe with no improvment. Editing the SourceSafe files on another system does not show the behavior. It does not appear that ther...

New computer!
Is there a way to transfer all of Outlooks folders, accounts, notes, emails, basically everything to a new computer easily. Both computers are connected on a network. The biggest part of this is moving the .PST file to the new computer and re-using it there. Don't import or export, just move the file, put it where you want it (don't overwrite any other .PST files with it), and open it in Outlook using File | Open. You didn't specify your Outlook version, so I'll assume you're using Outlook 2003, or possibly Outlook 2002. Look at the following two articles for help wi...

SMTP from Desktop still goes through Exchange Queue...?
This is inline with a previous issue below (Cannot send to Hotmail or MSN)...we smtp and pop from the desktop (outlook 2003) and all sent messages go through the Exchange (2003) servers SMTP queue...therefor it is stamped with our internal domain and this may be causing the issue with other domains that look for the reverse DNS...when this is done the mail message has our Exchange DNS instead of our ISP's DNS. The question...when I send from the desktop can I take my Exchange server out of the 'loop'? As a note...we run Server 2003 and have our internal DNS and our ISP has ...

Multi Desktop
Hi everybody, i need to write a program like multidsk.exe ( Multi Desktop application distributed inside of Microsoft TechNet for windows nt4.0 ) i can't find any documentation, example ecc.. my tests produced this code, it create a new desktop, but i can't exec any application, and inside the new desktop there is not the explorer ( taskbar, desktop icons ecc.. ) could anyone help me ?? Alberto ps. sorry for my english HDESK _OriginalThread HDESK _OriginalInput HDESK _ThisDesktop StartupInfo si; ProcessInformation pi; lpszDesktop = 'd...

Lock down User Sharing of Outlook folders
I have a client that would like to lock down the setting for Sharing their Outlook folders. After we setup the initial shareing (Calendar shared to EA) they would like to lock down so nobody but the ADMIN can add or remove an individual. Is this possible with Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 or do they need to purchase a 3rd party app to make this work? You cannot lock down sharing of indivirual folders within Outlook as far as I am aware of. The owner of the mailbox has Full Access to their own mailbox - as such, they have the ability to share folders (or even their entire mailbox...

Lock specific cells
Hi, Question: is it possible to 'lock' specific cells in a sheet? e.g. I don't want to be able to change specific functions on specific places. Thanx in advance... Quarco, Locking cells is a two step process. Go to FORMAT>CELLS and then go to the Protection tab and for each rang of cells you want protected or locked make sure the "Locked" option i checked. Conversely, for every group of cells you want to be able t change make sure the "Locked" option is unchecked. Now, none of this locks or unlocks anything until you go t TOOLS>PROTECTION>PROTECT ...

synchronizing desktop/laptop PST file
What's the easiest way to have my laptop Outlook profile to look exactly as my desktop in terms of same folders? On the laptop, there are folders and messages that I do not want there anymore, and I don't want to have go in and manually remove them all as I did on the desktop. So, just want to have an exact copy of the desktop now to reside on the laptop. What is the best way to accomplish? See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be ...

Multithreading: Safe to have two readers on data without locks?
I'm still trying to fully grasp locking / multi-threading issues. I know locks are required whenever reader and writers interact with the same data on different threads. However, if you have two seperate threads reading a piece of data, but the data is not being written to by anything while those threads are processing, is a lock required if the threads have a chance of executing the read at the same time, or is it safe to have multiple read-only attempts to a piece of data? Thanks, Josh McFarlane If you KNOW that nothing will ever write to them while your reader threads are active th...