Data File did not close properly.

Starting Outlook 2007, I get a message:

 "A datafile did not close properly last time it was used and  is being
checked for problems".

It takes a minute for Oulook to start and then the system is slow for a few
more minutes while that file is still being checked and then a message pops
up telling me that the file check is complete.
Doing a Google on the problem it would appear that it's prevalent but I
don't see a fix for it.
Is there anything I can do other then going back to Office 2003?

0
Marko

I've seen two fixes. Repair your PST file manually. Make sure you exit
Outlook completely and that you have no add-ins that will keep it from
exiting completely.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
> Starting Outlook 2007, I get a message:
>
> "A datafile did not close properly last time it was used and  is being
> checked for problems".
>
> It takes a minute for Oulook to start and then the system is slow for a
> few more minutes while that file is still being checked and then a message
> pops up telling me that the file check is complete.
> Doing a Google on the problem it would appear that it's prevalent but I
> don't see a fix for it.
> Is there anything I can do other then going back to Office 2003?

0
russval1 (2100)
4/10/2007 1:10:39 AM
Thanks! I had done the repair with scanpst.exe. Subsequent scans came up
error free. The problem is still there.
Exit completely? I shut down Outlook and the next time I start it up again I
get that same message and delay.
I had just installed Office 2007 on a newly formatted Hdd and have no
add-ins that I'm aware of.
Outlook 2003 worked fine before.

> I've seen two fixes. Repair your PST file manually. Make sure you exit
> Outlook completely and that you have no add-ins that will keep it from
> exiting completely.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> Starting Outlook 2007, I get a message:
>>
>> "A datafile did not close properly last time it was used and  is being
>> checked for problems".
>>
>> It takes a minute for Oulook to start and then the system is slow for a
>> few more minutes while that file is still being checked and then a
>> message pops up telling me that the file check is complete.
>> Doing a Google on the problem it would appear that it's prevalent but I
>> don't see a fix for it.
>> Is there anything I can do other then going back to Office 2003?

0
Marko
4/10/2007 2:20:58 AM
Verify Outlook has exited completely.
How did you migrate your data to this new installation?
--
> Thanks! I had done the repair with scanpst.exe. Subsequent scans came up
> error free. The problem is still there.
> Exit completely? I shut down Outlook and the next time I start it up again
> I get that same message and delay.
> I had just installed Office 2007 on a newly formatted Hdd and have no
> add-ins that I'm aware of.
> Outlook 2003 worked fine before.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen two fixes. Repair your PST file manually. Make sure you exit
>> Outlook completely and that you have no add-ins that will keep it from
>> exiting completely.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> Starting Outlook 2007, I get a message:
>>>
>>> "A datafile did not close properly last time it was used and  is being
>>> checked for problems".
>>>
>>> It takes a minute for Oulook to start and then the system is slow for a
>>> few more minutes while that file is still being checked and then a
>>> message pops up telling me that the file check is complete.
>>> Doing a Google on the problem it would appear that it's prevalent but I
>>> don't see a fix for it.
>>> Is there anything I can do other then going back to Office 2003?

0
russval1 (2100)
4/10/2007 9:12:54 AM
Also, verify that Outlook has finished indexing this file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
> Thanks! I had done the repair with scanpst.exe. Subsequent scans came up
> error free. The problem is still there.
> Exit completely? I shut down Outlook and the next time I start it up again
> I get that same message and delay.
> I had just installed Office 2007 on a newly formatted Hdd and have no
> add-ins that I'm aware of.
> Outlook 2003 worked fine before.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen two fixes. Repair your PST file manually. Make sure you exit
>> Outlook completely and that you have no add-ins that will keep it from
>> exiting completely.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> Starting Outlook 2007, I get a message:
>>>
>>> "A datafile did not close properly last time it was used and  is being
>>> checked for problems".
>>>
>>> It takes a minute for Oulook to start and then the system is slow for a
>>> few more minutes while that file is still being checked and then a
>>> message pops up telling me that the file check is complete.
>>> Doing a Google on the problem it would appear that it's prevalent but I
>>> don't see a fix for it.
>>> Is there anything I can do other then going back to Office 2003?

0
russval1 (2100)
4/10/2007 9:34:40 AM
The file was imported a year ago from Outlook Express into Outlook 2003 and
recently taken over by Outlook 2007.
No problems ever in Outlook 03.
For indexing I find the following:
>On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click Indexing
>Status.<
"Indexing Status" does NOT exist. It doesn't exist in the Control Panel
under Other Control Panel Options either.
Looks like I need to dig deeper into that area.

> Also, verify that Outlook has finished indexing this file.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks! I had done the repair with scanpst.exe. Subsequent scans came up
>> error free. The problem is still there.
>> Exit completely? I shut down Outlook and the next time I start it up
>> again I get that same message and delay.
>> I had just installed Office 2007 on a newly formatted Hdd and have no
>> add-ins that I'm aware of.
>> Outlook 2003 worked fine before.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've seen two fixes. Repair your PST file manually. Make sure you exit
>>> Outlook completely and that you have no add-ins that will keep it from
>>> exiting completely.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/10/2007 11:06:19 PM
"Recently taken over by Outlook 2007" seems an odd statement. What does it
mean? So does your claim that you clicked an option that you then claim does
not exist. We await clarification.
--
> The file was imported a year ago from Outlook Express into Outlook 2003
> and recently taken over by Outlook 2007.
> No problems ever in Outlook 03.
> For indexing I find the following:
>>On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click Indexing
>>Status.<
> "Indexing Status" does NOT exist. It doesn't exist in the Control Panel
> under Other Control Panel Options either.
> Looks like I need to dig deeper into that area.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Also, verify that Outlook has finished indexing this file.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks! I had done the repair with scanpst.exe. Subsequent scans came up
>>> error free. The problem is still there.
>>> Exit completely? I shut down Outlook and the next time I start it up
>>> again I get that same message and delay.
>>> I had just installed Office 2007 on a newly formatted Hdd and have no
>>> add-ins that I'm aware of.
>>> Outlook 2003 worked fine before.
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
4/10/2007 11:41:24 PM
1)When I installed Office 2007 it automatically used the existing pst from
Office 2003 (If I remember correctly) Therefore my statement that 07 "took
over" the existing file. In any case it's the same file that I had used in
03. If not done automatically then I must have used the IMPORT option from
the File menu.
2) Checking in Office 07 help for "indexing" I'm given these instructions:
"On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click Indexing
Status." Indexing Status does not exist in that location.
Searching further I find instructions for finding "Indexing Status" in the
Control Panel options. It does not exist there either.

> "Recently taken over by Outlook 2007" seems an odd statement. What does it
> mean? So does your claim that you clicked an option that you then claim
> does not exist. We await clarification.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> The file was imported a year ago from Outlook Express into Outlook 2003
>> and recently taken over by Outlook 2007.
>> No problems ever in Outlook 03.
>> For indexing I find the following:
>>>On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click Indexing
>>>Status.<
>> "Indexing Status" does NOT exist. It doesn't exist in the Control Panel
>> under Other Control Panel Options either.
>> Looks like I need to dig deeper into that area.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Also, verify that Outlook has finished indexing this file.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/11/2007 3:55:56 AM
I read that "Microsoft's Live One Care" is causing this problem in Outlook
07 when installed under Vista.
In my case it's installed under Win XP home SP-2 and I don't think that I
have Live One Care.

> 1)When I installed Office 2007 it automatically used the existing pst from
> Office 2003 (If I remember correctly) Therefore my statement that 07 "took
> over" the existing file. In any case it's the same file that I had used in
> 03. If not done automatically then I must have used the IMPORT option from
> the File menu.
> 2) Checking in Office 07 help for "indexing" I'm given these instructions:
> "On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click Indexing
> Status." Indexing Status does not exist in that location.
> Searching further I find instructions for finding "Indexing Status" in the
> Control Panel options. It does not exist there either.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Recently taken over by Outlook 2007" seems an odd statement. What does
>> it mean? So does your claim that you clicked an option that you then
>> claim does not exist. We await clarification.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> The file was imported a year ago from Outlook Express into Outlook 2003
>>> and recently taken over by Outlook 2007.
>>> No problems ever in Outlook 03.
>>> For indexing I find the following:
>>> "Indexing Status" does NOT exist. It doesn't exist in the Control Panel
>>> under Other Control Panel Options either.
>>> Looks like I need to dig deeper into that area.
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/12/2007 3:20:23 AM
I think I've got it figured out.
I ran Outlook.exe with the /safe command line switch.
It runs without a hitch. In my case it ask me if I wanted ther RSS feed
sync. I don't even know what that is and so said no.
It's been running without the file data delay and message since. There is
obviously a problem with Outlook 07 that needs fixing.
Anyway, thanks for all the help here.

>I read that "Microsoft's Live One Care" is causing this problem in Outlook
>07 when installed under Vista.
> In my case it's installed under Win XP home SP-2 and I don't think that I
> have Live One Care.
>
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> 1)When I installed Office 2007 it automatically used the existing pst
>> from Office 2003 (If I remember correctly) Therefore my statement that 07
>> "took over" the existing file. In any case it's the same file that I had
>> used in 03. If not done automatically then I must have used the IMPORT
>> option from the File menu.
>> 2) Checking in Office 07 help for "indexing" I'm given these
>> instructions: "On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click
>> Indexing Status." Indexing Status does not exist in that location.
>> Searching further I find instructions for finding "Indexing Status" in
>> the Control Panel options. It does not exist there either.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Recently taken over by Outlook 2007" seems an odd statement. What does
>>> it mean? So does your claim that you clicked an option that you then
>>> claim does not exist. We await clarification.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/12/2007 3:43:45 AM
You did an upgrade installation. You must always create a new profile from
scratch when you do an in place upgrade. Outlook will not work properly
until you do.
--
>I think I've got it figured out.
> I ran Outlook.exe with the /safe command line switch.
> It runs without a hitch. In my case it ask me if I wanted ther RSS feed
> sync. I don't even know what that is and so said no.
> It's been running without the file data delay and message since. There is
> obviously a problem with Outlook 07 that needs fixing.
> Anyway, thanks for all the help here.
>
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>I read that "Microsoft's Live One Care" is causing this problem in Outlook
>>07 when installed under Vista.
>> In my case it's installed under Win XP home SP-2 and I don't think that I
>> have Live One Care.
>>
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> 1)When I installed Office 2007 it automatically used the existing pst
>>> from Office 2003 (If I remember correctly) Therefore my statement that
>>> 07 "took over" the existing file. In any case it's the same file that I
>>> had used in 03. If not done automatically then I must have used the
>>> IMPORT option from the File menu.
>>> 2) Checking in Office 07 help for "indexing" I'm given these
>>> instructions: "On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then
>>> click Indexing Status." Indexing Status does not exist in that location.
>>> Searching further I find instructions for finding "Indexing Status" in
>>> the Control Panel options. It does not exist there either.
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
4/12/2007 9:21:15 AM
Thanks, I only wish I would have known that. The problem has come back, so
I'll try that next.
Thanks for your help.

> You did an upgrade installation. You must always create a new profile from
> scratch when you do an in place upgrade. Outlook will not work properly
> until you do.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>I think I've got it figured out.
>> I ran Outlook.exe with the /safe command line switch.
>> It runs without a hitch. In my case it ask me if I wanted ther RSS feed
>> sync. I don't even know what that is and so said no.
>> It's been running without the file data delay and message since. There is
>> obviously a problem with Outlook 07 that needs fixing.
>> Anyway, thanks for all the help here.
>>
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>>I read that "Microsoft's Live One Care" is causing this problem in
>>>Outlook 07 when installed under Vista.
>>> In my case it's installed under Win XP home SP-2 and I don't think that
>>> I have Live One Care.
>>>
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/12/2007 2:39:00 PM
Yeah. That's why I asked you first thing how you migrated your Outlook data.
--
> Thanks, I only wish I would have known that. The problem has come back, so
> I'll try that next.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You did an upgrade installation. You must always create a new profile
>> from scratch when you do an in place upgrade. Outlook will not work
>> properly until you do.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>>I think I've got it figured out.
>>> I ran Outlook.exe with the /safe command line switch.
>>> It runs without a hitch. In my case it ask me if I wanted ther RSS feed
>>> sync. I don't even know what that is and so said no.
>>> It's been running without the file data delay and message since. There
>>> is obviously a problem with Outlook 07 that needs fixing.
>>> Anyway, thanks for all the help here.
>>>
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
4/12/2007 8:08:05 PM
Create a new Outlook 2007 data file also couldn't solve the problem. Because
I also have same problems as Marko and I also done as Marko did. I have
monitor the Outlook 2007 closed properly with Task Manager, after restart
Outlook, it pop me with the same error message.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Chik

> Yeah. That's why I asked you first thing how you migrated your Outlook
> data.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I only wish I would have known that. The problem has come back,
>> so I'll try that next.
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You did an upgrade installation. You must always create a new profile
>>> from scratch when you do an in place upgrade. Outlook will not work
>>> properly until you do.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
chik (12)
4/13/2007 4:25:53 AM
I have posted 5 that have eventually worked for most users. Try them all.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Chik" <chik@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Create a new Outlook 2007 data file also couldn't solve the problem.
> Because I also have same problems as Marko and I also done as Marko did. I
> have monitor the Outlook 2007 closed properly with Task Manager, after
> restart Outlook, it pop me with the same error message.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Chik
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah. That's why I asked you first thing how you migrated your Outlook
>> data.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, I only wish I would have known that. The problem has come back,
>>> so I'll try that next.
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
4/13/2007 9:12:44 AM
Well I did the new profile thing and initially it seemed to work fine with
the empty outlook.pst file.
Then did another scanpst.exe on the old file and substituted in for the
newly created one. The old problem was back immediately.
Next I'll go back to a new outlook.pst and see if I can import from the old
one.
Wow, who would have thought it could be so time consuming to upgrade to
Office 2007.

>I have posted 5 that have eventually worked for most users. Try them all.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Chik" <chik@netvigator.com> wrote in message
>> Create a new Outlook 2007 data file also couldn't solve the problem.
>> Because I also have same problems as Marko and I also done as Marko did.
>> I have monitor the Outlook 2007 closed properly with Task Manager, after
>> restart Outlook, it pop me with the same error message.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chik
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yeah. That's why I asked you first thing how you migrated your Outlook
>>> data.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/14/2007 2:38:08 PM
Don't import. Just open the old PST file and copy what you want from it.
--
> Well I did the new profile thing and initially it seemed to work fine with
> the empty outlook.pst file.
> Then did another scanpst.exe on the old file and substituted in for the
> newly created one. The old problem was back immediately.
> Next I'll go back to a new outlook.pst and see if I can import from the
> old one.
> Wow, who would have thought it could be so time consuming to upgrade to
> Office 2007.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have posted 5 that have eventually worked for most users. Try them all.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Chik" <chik@netvigator.com> wrote in message
>>> Create a new Outlook 2007 data file also couldn't solve the problem.
>>> Because I also have same problems as Marko and I also done as Marko did.
>>> I have monitor the Outlook 2007 closed properly with Task Manager, after
>>> restart Outlook, it pop me with the same error message.
>>>
>>> Any idea?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chik
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
4/14/2007 3:37:51 PM
This time I started with a new profile once again, then copied the messages
from the previous Outlook.pst file which I had renamed.
Then did the Scanpst.exe and it found errors and repaired them.
The same old problem is back. In the meantime we had installed Office 2007
on two other machines and ran into the exact same problem there. We'll now
wait for a solution.
Please advise if there is anything else that can be tried.

> Don't import. Just open the old PST file and copy what you want from it.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> Well I did the new profile thing and initially it seemed to work fine
>> with the empty outlook.pst file.
>> Then did another scanpst.exe on the old file and substituted in for the
>> newly created one. The old problem was back immediately.
>> Next I'll go back to a new outlook.pst and see if I can import from the
>> old one.
>> Wow, who would have thought it could be so time consuming to upgrade to
>> Office 2007.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have posted 5 that have eventually worked for most users. Try them all.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Chik" <chik@netvigator.com> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/15/2007 3:10:04 PM
Some people just run with the error message. It causes no problem and
eventually seems to go away.
--
> This time I started with a new profile once again, then copied the
> messages from the previous Outlook.pst file which I had renamed.
> Then did the Scanpst.exe and it found errors and repaired them.
> The same old problem is back. In the meantime we had installed Office 2007
> on two other machines and ran into the exact same problem there. We'll now
> wait for a solution.
> Please advise if there is anything else that can be tried.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Don't import. Just open the old PST file and copy what you want from it.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> Well I did the new profile thing and initially it seemed to work fine
>>> with the empty outlook.pst file.
>>> Then did another scanpst.exe on the old file and substituted in for the
>>> newly created one. The old problem was back immediately.
>>> Next I'll go back to a new outlook.pst and see if I can import from the
>>> old one.
>>> Wow, who would have thought it could be so time consuming to upgrade to
>>> Office 2007.
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
4/15/2007 4:34:20 PM
That's what I'm doing at home but on the work machines it's not an option
because it really slows down Outlook while it's doing whatever it's doing.
Any idea if Microsoft is working on it?

> Some people just run with the error message. It causes no problem and
> eventually seems to go away.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> This time I started with a new profile once again, then copied the
>> messages from the previous Outlook.pst file which I had renamed.
>> Then did the Scanpst.exe and it found errors and repaired them.
>> The same old problem is back. In the meantime we had installed Office
>> 2007 on two other machines and ran into the exact same problem there.
>> We'll now go back to Outlook 03 on all but my home machine where I will
>> continue to wait for a solution.
>> Please advise if there is anything else that can be tried.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Don't import. Just open the old PST file and copy what you want from it.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message

0
Marko
4/15/2007 5:02:41 PM
Not that I'm aware of. We've reported it, though.
--
> That's what I'm doing at home but on the work machines it's not an option
> because it really slows down Outlook while it's doing whatever it's doing.
> Any idea if Microsoft is working on it?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Some people just run with the error message. It causes no problem and
>> eventually seems to go away.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>>> This time I started with a new profile once again, then copied the
>>> messages from the previous Outlook.pst file which I had renamed.
>>> Then did the Scanpst.exe and it found errors and repaired them.
>>> The same old problem is back. In the meantime we had installed Office
>>> 2007 on two other machines and ran into the exact same problem there.
>>> We'll now go back to Outlook 03 on all but my home machine where I will
>>> continue to wait for a solution.
>>> Please advise if there is anything else that can be tried.
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
4/15/2007 5:41:43 PM
Marko <dvcs@3web.net> wrote:

> Then did another scanpst.exe on the old file and substituted in for
> the newly created one.

What do you mean by "substituted it in"?
--
Brian Tillman
0

> Marko <dvcs@3web.net> wrote:
>
>> Then did another scanpst.exe on the old file and substituted in for
>> the newly created one.
>
> What do you mean by "substituted it in"?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Marko
4/16/2007 1:34:47 AM
Both actions are completely wrong and are guarantees to corrupt your
profile. I assume we've move far beyond those errors, right?
--
> Just one of the many things that I'd tried. I had renamed the previous pst
> file before going to a new profile and then replaced the new pst file with
> the old one by renaming the new one and naming the old one outlook.pst
> again. I was trying to avoid having more than one Personal Folder. This
> may not make much sense but I'm willing to try anything.
>
> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Marko <dvcs@3web.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Then did another scanpst.exe on the old file and substituted in for
>>> the newly created one.
>>
>> What do you mean by "substituted it in"?
>> --
>> Brian Tillman

0
russval1 (2100)
4/16/2007 2:09:58 AM
Marko <dvcs@3web.net> wrote:

> Just one of the many things that I'd tried. I had renamed the
> previous pst file before going to a new profile and then replaced the
> new pst file with the old one by renaming the new one and naming the
> old one outlook.pst again. I was trying to avoid having more than one
> Personal Folder. This may not make much sense but I'm willing to try
> anything.

That's a fairly sure way to corrupt a mail profile.  Instead, open the PST
whose data you wish to add with File>Open>Outlook Data File and either 1)
make it your delivery location on Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next, stop and
restart Outlook, and close the other PST (which is now no longer the
delivery location) with right-click>Close or 2) right-click, drag, and copy
each non-default folder to the current default PST and then open each
default folder, select all the data in it with CTRL-A, right-click, drag,
and copy the selection to the corresponding default folder.  You'll have to
sdisplay the calendar in a table view before CTRL-A will work.  WHen the
copying is complete, right-click and close the added PST.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/16/2007 12:01:07 PM
Brian was asking about something that I had tried much earlier and I
explained what I did back then. Since then I've tried everything that was
suggested here plus a few other things that where suggested in forums
discussing the same problems.
I'll now have another shot at Brians' step by step instructions and will
report back.
Thanks for all the help!!!

> Both actions are completely wrong and are guarantees to corrupt your
> profile. I assume we've move far beyond those errors, right?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Marko" <dvcs@3web.net> wrote in message
>> Just one of the many things that I'd tried. I had renamed the previous
>> pst file before going to a new profile and then replaced the new pst file
>> with the old one by renaming the new one and naming the old one
>> outlook.pst again. I was trying to avoid having more than one Personal
>> Folder. This may not make much sense but I'm willing to try anything.
>>
>> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> What do you mean by "substituted it in"?
>>> --
>>> Brian Tillman

0
Marko
4/16/2007 2:33:34 PM
Update: I've opened and closed Outlook 07 several times late today and the
the problem did NOT reappear.
Hopefully it's like Russ said, that sometimes it just goes away by itself.

> Marko <dvcs@3web.net> wrote:
>
>> Just one of the many things that I'd tried. I had renamed the
>> previous pst file before going to a new profile and then replaced the
>> new pst file with the old one by renaming the new one and naming the
>> old one outlook.pst again. I was trying to avoid having more than one
>> Personal Folder. This may not make much sense but I'm willing to try
>> anything.
>
> That's a fairly sure way to corrupt a mail profile.  Instead, open the PST
> whose data you wish to add with File>Open>Outlook Data File and either 1)
> make it your delivery location on Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next, stop and
> restart Outlook, and close the other PST (which is now no longer the
> delivery location) with right-click>Close or 2) right-click, drag, and
> copy each non-default folder to the current default PST and then open each
> default folder, select all the data in it with CTRL-A, right-click, drag,
> and copy the selection to the corresponding default folder.  You'll have
> to sdisplay the calendar in a table view before CTRL-A will work.  WHen
> the copying is complete, right-click and close the added PST.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Marko
4/16/2007 11:51:07 PM
Well it didn't last.
Now I uninstalled all of Office 2007 and then reinstalled it, created yet
another new profile and followed Brians' instructions for copying in the old
messages.

Unfortunately the problem still didn't go away!!

I'm determined but judging by just how many users are having this same
problem, it's pretty clear that something needs to come from the
programmers.

> Update: I've opened and closed Outlook 07 several times late today and the
> the problem did NOT reappear.
> Hopefully it's like Russ said, that sometimes it just goes away by itself.
>

> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Marko <dvcs@3web.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Just one of the many things that I'd tried. I had renamed the
>>> previous pst file before going to a new profile and then replaced the
>>> new pst file with the old one by renaming the new one and naming the
>>> old one outlook.pst again. I was trying to avoid having more than one
>>> Personal Folder. This may not make much sense but I'm willing to try
>>> anything.
>>
>> That's a fairly sure way to corrupt a mail profile.  Instead, open the
>> PST whose data you wish to add with File>Open>Outlook Data File and
>> either 1) make it your delivery location on Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next,
>> stop and restart Outlook, and close the other PST (which is now no longer
>> the delivery location) with right-click>Close or 2) right-click, drag,
>> and copy each non-default folder to the current default PST and then open
>> each default folder, select all the data in it with CTRL-A, right-click,
>> drag, and copy the selection to the corresponding default folder.  You'll
>> have to sdisplay the calendar in a table view before CTRL-A will work.
>> WHen the copying is complete, right-click and close the added PST.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman

0
Marko
4/18/2007 4:09:41 AM
We are experiencing the same problem at my company.

I think it has something to do with the fact that it takes the outlook.exe
process so long to unload.

I've exited Outlook, and verified that the icon is no longer in my system
tray, and that in Task Manager, it is no longer listed in the Applications
list, but at the same time, I've watched Process Explorer, and it takes
anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 full minutes to "unload" completely.

I've done some experimenting, and if you re-run Outlook before OUTLOOK.EXE
fully
unloads, you'll get the "data file did not close properly" message.  It will
also happen if you shut down and reboot your workstation without waiting for
OUTLOOK.EXE to fully unload.

I suspect this doesn't have anything to do with the actual formats of the
PST files.
"Marko" wrote:

> Starting Outlook 2007, I get a message:
>
>  "A datafile did not close properly last time it was used and  is being
> checked for problems".
>
> It takes a minute for Oulook to start and then the system is slow for a few
> more minutes while that file is still being checked and then a message pops
> up telling me that the file check is complete.
> Doing a Google on the problem it would appear that it's prevalent but I
> don't see a fix for it.
> Is there anything I can do other then going back to Office 2003?

horizontal data to vertical data

Excel 2007
When files are already open by another user, we have found that only users with Administrator permissions on their computers are able to open files read-only. If the user only has basic user permissions they receive a message stating the file could not be found. This was not a problem with Office 2000 (which we recently upgraded from). Any ideas? Thanks, Chris ...

export public folder data?

storing read only data

Returns entered from previous closed shift
When doing a close, how do you work off any returns entered from sales of previous closed shift? Since these returns are not from the current shift and it would not square off with current cashier shift at closing. On Sep 30, 7:04=A0am, RicoTowers <RicoTow...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When doing a close, how do you work off any returns entered from sales of > previous closed shift? =A0Since these returns are not from the current sh= ift > and it would not square off with current cashier shift at closing. Not sure what you are asking. All that matters from the sh...

How to organize data?

importing an .ost file to OL2007
Hi, I was using Outlook 2003 at my previous employer on a MS Exchange server. Before I left I backed up my .ost file and .pst files. I am running Outlook 2007 at home and am trying to work out how to open the ..ost folder. It appears to only be looking for .pst files. Can anyone help please? You cannot Maybe find a third party who will convert for you "Tim123" <Tim123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D9F4666-0CA7-4C08-9FE2-5892B0CB5E11@microsoft.com... > Hi, I was using Outlook 2003 at my previous employer on a MS Exchange > server. > Before I ...

file names in excel
When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I have entered. What is set wrong? Doesn't sound right. Show us the code that you use. -- HTH Bob Phillips "TonyB" <TonyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BCC8463-39BE-40D2-84C4-44311DEE14FA@microsoft.com... > When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I > have entered. > > What is set wrong? WinXP? Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

Unable to open Excel file #4
Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding. The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a diskette. Sounds like a bad disk. Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an try to open there. -- kkkni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26520 Vic Cop...

Saving sheet to text file
Hi, Can someone please help me with a date formatting problem. When I save a sheet to a TXT file manually (using the SaveAs option, etc.), I have no problems and the dates remain as they are shown on the sheet as d/m/yy (eg 15/9/05), but when I use the following macro, the dates on that sheet are saved to the text file as month/day/year (eg 9/15/05) Sub ExportToMYOB() ActiveWorkbook.Save Sheet2.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Premier9\Data files\ExportToMYOB.txt", _ FileFormat:=xlText, CreateBackup:=False ActiveWindow.Close End Sub Why is it so? Rob How did you ve...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

2003 files not looking right in 2007
I opened a brochure in 2007 I just completed last week using 2003. Whew, it was a mess. Spacing wrong etc. I went to another computer and using 2003 opened it and it was fine. Why is this? I have to almost redo the whole brochure if I am going to use it in 2007. Am I missing something. Thanks Different printer? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C260E80A-0B9E-4965-AFFB-8DB24DF05B32@microsoft.com... >I opened a brochure in 200...

.NET & XSLT: Unwanted namespace in resulting file after using extension objects
Hello, after using extension objects in the stylesheets there's an additional namespace entry in the resulting file. How can I prevent that? See: ..NET/C#: XslCompiledTransform xslt = new XslCompiledTransform(); .... XsltArgumentList xsltArgs = new XsltArgumentList(); xsltArgs.AddExtensionObject("ibd:DanTe", this); .... xslt.Transform( _source, xsltArgs, target ); XSLT: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/ Transform" xmlns:ibd="ibd:DanTe"> &l...

data file: how to start its application

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Scanning website files on the fly
Hi folks, One of my websites got infected with a virus and was blocked by Google. I stumbled across this page and it really helped me getting the problem solved very quickly without having to reupload my website from my computer. I can't paste the whole method here because it's explained in pictures. Check out: http://www.orioncities.com/scanning-website-files-for-malware-and-viruses I hope this will help someone. Their are many well known and known to be good sites, that will help others with malware and virus infection, I wouldn't click on any link inclu...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Saving a Excel 97 file into Excel 2003 file
There is no problem in opening a Excel97 file into Excel 2003. The problem occurs when trying to perform "Save As" after that. The error message is "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications." The file is only about 2.5MB and there is no other applications running in the background except the normal firewall and antivirus programs. The interesting thing about this problem is that, it occurs on one PC and not on another? Both PC got 512MB DDR Ram and plenty of space in hard drives. The total paging s...

Write Hex to Output File in MFC
Hi All: I need to generate a file using MFC which is Unicoded. In other words, I need to have a file that has '16-bit hex coding' showing in the file when I open it thru notepad Problem: Even though I store the string in 16-bit format, when I write it into the file, it still displays it as ascii. I need to see '16-bit Hex' instead of the ascii. I am using the following code. The output in the file is "hello". Instead, I want to see "0x0048 0x0065 0x006C 0x006C 0x006F". I am using the following code. wchar_t rashid2[] =_T(L"Hello"); HAND...