Creating a searchable 'digest' of over 300 messages

Hi all. Hope you can help.

I have over 300 messages stored in an outlook folder. They
contain approx 400,000 words.

I would like to create a 'word searchable' digest of all
messages. I would also like to order them by choice such as by
thread, date, recipient, etc.

In a way, importing them into an excel or access database format
would work.

Anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks in advance.

Howard.
--
Pontins History E-Mail: usenet@pontinshistory.co.uk
Please visit www.pontinshistory.co.uk

"Howie" <to.reply.pls.see.sig@end.of.message.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all. Hope you can help.
>
> I have over 300 messages stored in an outlook folder. They
> contain approx 400,000 words.
>
> I would like to create a 'word searchable' digest of all
> messages. I would also like to order them by choice such as by
> thread, date, recipient, etc.
>
> In a way, importing them into an excel or access database format
> would work.
>
> Anyone know if this can be done?

The search function in Outlook will do most of that......

0
gbplinux (1141)
11/8/2007 8:41:25 AM
"Howie" <to.reply.pls.see.sig@end.of.message.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all. Hope you can help.
>
> I have over 300 messages stored in an outlook folder. They
> contain approx 400,000 words.
>
> I would like to create a 'word searchable' digest of all
> messages. I would also like to order them by choice such as by
> thread, date, recipient, etc.
>
> In a way, importing them into an excel or access database format
> would work.
>
> Anyone know if this can be done?

The search function in Outlook will do most of that......

0
gbplinux (1141)
11/8/2007 8:41:25 AM
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:41:25 -0000, "Gordon"
<gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

|"Howie" <to.reply.pls.see.sig@end.of.message.com.invalid> wrote in message
|> Hi all. Hope you can help.
|>
|> I have over 300 messages stored in an outlook folder. They
|> contain approx 400,000 words.
|>
|> I would like to create a 'word searchable' digest of all
|> messages. I would also like to order them by choice such as by
|> thread, date, recipient, etc.
|>
|> In a way, importing them into an excel or access database format
|> would work.
|>
|> Anyone know if this can be done?
|>

|The search function in Outlook will do most of that......

Thanks Gordon. I have tried that, but I also need to be able to
print results and show them in various formats and field order.
It just becomes too confusing in Outlook.

Is there REALLY no way of doing this?

I have looked at outlook's export facility and I would be happy
if it included date/time as export fields. I could then make it
work for me. But it doesn't include any non-text fields. Damned
annoying.
> Is there REALLY no way of doing this?
>
> I have looked at outlook's export facility and I would be happy
> if it included date/time as export fields. I could then make it
> work for me. But it doesn't include any non-text fields. Damned
> annoying.

I think your only option would be to export the data to Access.....

0
gbplinux (1141)
11/9/2007 6:00:16 PM
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:00:16 -0000, "Gordon"
<gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

|"Howie" <to.reply.pls.see.sig@end.of.message.com.invalid> wrote in message
|> Is there REALLY no way of doing this?
|>
|> I have looked at outlook's export facility and I would be happy
|> if it included date/time as export fields. I could then make it
|> work for me. But it doesn't include any non-text fields. Damned
|> annoying.
|

|I think your only option would be to export the data to Access.....

Thanks again Gordon. But it doesn't work! (see above).

I need to be able to search and sort on the date header and that
header is not included in an export function.
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:00:16 -0000, "Gordon"
> <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> |"Howie" <to.reply.pls.see.sig@end.of.message.com.invalid> wrote in
> message
> |> Is there REALLY no way of doing this?
> |>
> |> I have looked at outlook's export facility and I would be happy
> |> if it included date/time as export fields. I could then make it
> |> work for me. But it doesn't include any non-text fields. Damned
> |> annoying.
> |

> |I think your only option would be to export the data to Access.....
> |
> Thanks again Gordon. But it doesn't work! (see above).
>
> I need to be able to search and sort on the date header and that
> header is not included in an export function.

Can I ask what you are trying to achieve with this searching? (There /may/
be another way of doing it....)

0
gbplinux (1141)
11/10/2007 9:21:59 AM
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:21:59 -0000, "Gordon"
<gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

|> I need to be able to search and sort on the date header and that
|> header is not included in an export function.
|

|Can I ask what you are trying to achieve with this searching? (There /may/
|be another way of doing it....)

It's to find specific references to things mentioned at various
times. It's for a legal case. The chronological order of emails
and actual dates are as important as what was written. At the
moment, I can find specific items using the outlook search, but
it's very time consuming and printing the relevant bits of the
emails searched is farr too difficult.

Even a single word document containing all the emails in their
entirety (in chronological order, with date headers) would be
easier to use at the moment.
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:21:59 -0000, "Gordon"
> <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> |> I need to be able to search and sort on the date header and that
> |> header is not included in an export function.
> |

> |Can I ask what you are trying to achieve with this searching? (There
> /may/
> |be another way of doing it....)
>
> It's to find specific references to things mentioned at various
> times. It's for a legal case. The chronological order of emails
> and actual dates are as important as what was written. At the
> moment, I can find specific items using the outlook search, but
> it's very time consuming and printing the relevant bits of the
> emails searched is farr too difficult.
>
> Even a single word document containing all the emails in their
> entirety (in chronological order, with date headers) would be
> easier to use at the moment.

OK. if you download and install Mozilla Thunderbird, and import your Outlook
data, that puts each mail folder into an MBox -format file, which is
directly readable with any text editor. You might like to have a look at
that....

0
gbplinux (1141)
11/10/2007 10:13:24 AM
I'm an attorney who regularly needs e-mail in a searchable format as
described by Howard. I have found nothing better than Adobe Acrobat 8.1
Standard. It does what Howard needs.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Howie" <to.reply.pls.see.sig@end.of.message.com.invalid> wrote in message

> > |Can I ask what you are trying to achieve with this searching? (There
> > /may/
> > |be another way of doing it....)
> >
> > It's to find specific references to things mentioned at various
> > times. It's for a legal case. The chronological order of emails
> > and actual dates are as important as what was written. At the
> > moment, I can find specific items using the outlook search, but
> > it's very time consuming and printing the relevant bits of the
> > emails searched is farr too difficult.
> >
> > Even a single word document containing all the emails in their
> > entirety (in chronological order, with date headers) would be
> > easier to use at the moment.
>

> OK. if you download and install Mozilla Thunderbird, and import your Outlook
> data, that puts each mail folder into an MBox -format file, which is
> directly readable with any text editor. You might like to have a look at
> that....

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:31:01 -0800, Munchausen
<Munchausen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|I'm an attorney who regularly needs e-mail in a searchable format as
|described by Howard. I have found nothing better than Adobe Acrobat 8.1
|Standard. It does what Howard needs.

Excellent. Thanks to both you and Gordon!

Just a quickie: Do you use Acrobat directly with the M-box file?

Cheers,

H.
If you mean by "M-box" the Outlook 2007 e-mail inbox, then, yes. As a matter
of fact, there's an add-in that permits one to add a "Conver to PDF" format
button on the Outlook toolbar.

"Howie" wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:31:01 -0800, Munchausen
> <Munchausen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> |I'm an attorney who regularly needs e-mail in a searchable format as
> |described by Howard. I have found nothing better than Adobe Acrobat 8.1
> |Standard. It does what Howard needs.
> |
> Excellent. Thanks to both you and Gordon!
>
> Just a quickie: Do you use Acrobat directly with the M-box file?
>
> Cheers,
>
> H.

create a roster

Task Create - Status

Outlook slow to open messages
Hi, I am running WinXP with SP2, IE7 and Office 2003 professional with all updates installed on a 3GB PC fitted with 1Gb RAM. The PC is probably 3 years old now. Since the May updates I have noticed that Outlook 2003 is slow to open messages when moving the selection bar to or from an HTML message. The delay seems to vary day to day so it is reasonable some days and slow on others. At its worst it can take about 30 secs for some messages to open. Outlook itself opens up at the same speed it always has but opening messages has noticeably slowed down. I read one message about deleting ...

Message received in Outlook Express but not in Office Outlook why
I used Outlook Express as default for e-mail. I installed Office Outrlook and marked it as default. I continue to receive e-mail on Outlook Express but not on Office Outlook. What settings do I need to make? Open Outlook using the /checkclient switch: http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/commandlineswitches.htm -- K. Orland Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts - Marcus Aurelius "Old Fud" wrote: > I used Outlook Express as default for e-mail. I installed Office Outrlook > and marked i...

Create external database

Confirmation before sending messages
Hi All, How do I setup Outlook so that it asks for confirmation before sending a message? E.g., "are you sure you want to send this message now?" That would be a useful feature for me, since I have the unfortunate tendency to hit "ctrl-enter" and send incomplete messages by accident. Often I am meaning to do something like hit "ctrl-v" followed by "enter" to go to the next line, but I just hit the keys too fast. -Josh If you're NOT using Exchange server, turn off the autosend feature (Tools, Options, Check for messages on... and clear the ...

How to create pie chart with %

test message

Sales Process error message in web client
When viewing an opportunity in the web client, if the user goes to activities and then selects the sales process tab (next the activities and history tabs), we get the following error: An error has occurred. Contact your system administrator. No one knows what to do about this. Any suggestions? It would be nice to be able to see the summary like all the books show. Thanks. Hi normally your can solve an error like this one by following this procedure: Clear the Outlook Forms Cache in the Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook client. 1. Open Microsoft Outlook, and then click Options f...

Queues backing up-Messages pending submission
The messages pending submission queue is backing up often on my e2k3 sp2 server. I try to run the Ex Troubleshooting Assistant, select queues are backing up, and it never returns any suggestions or root causes. Running a couple of the other tests now, but am still a bit concerned. If I stop/start SMTP services it seems to clear up for abit, but then it starts all over again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jason Looks like the routing engine(inetinfo.exe) had hung up a bit. Restarted all services using inetinfo.exe and things seem to be a bit better. Jason Meyer wrote: ...

when form created

changing the message list in outlook 2003
i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the message look in outlook, it separates the messages by date. is there any way to turn this off, so i just have a long list of messages? Right click on the header in the message list, uncheck "show in groups." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Lee Benningfield asked: | i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the mess...

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Outlook 2003: Reply to messages using the account to which they were sent?
I have a series of email accounts set up in my Outlook 2003. All mail is delivered to my default Inbox. I'm looking for a foolproof means of ensuring that when I reply to an email... that it is sent from the account to which it was sent. I don't want to have to think to change the sending account manually... So: If an email is sent to bob@bob.com, when I hit reply I want the reply account to be bob@bob.com If the email was sent to accounts@bob.com, when I hit reply I want the reply account to be accounts@bob.com Any idea as to how I do this? Thanks Bob All version of Outlook...

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...