Contacts problem #5

I don't understand the relationship between the email addresses I type, and
which come up in the 'To' field, and my contacts list. How do I get the
email addresses I type to be included in my contacts?

0
anon4809 (19)

Pretty vague post you made here. We don't even know your Outlook version.
There is no relationship whatsoever between your autocompletion cache and
your Contacts Folder, if that's what you're asking. The autocompletion cache
is simply a list of the recipients to whom you have sent messages. If you
want the email addresses that you manually type into the To: field to be
included in your Contacts Folder, then create a Contact Record for that
recipient.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
>I don't understand the relationship between the email addresses I type, and
>which come up in the 'To' field, and my contacts list. How do I get the
>email addresses I type to be included in my contacts?

0
russval1 (2101)
9/11/2007 9:52:46 PM
"Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
>I don't understand the relationship between the email addresses I type, and
>which come up in the 'To' field, and my contacts list. How do I get the
>email addresses I type to be included in my contacts?

Walt,

Let's just say the relationship isn't very much. :-) The first time you
manually type an address (for which there is no contact entry) in the 'To'
field, you must correctly type the full e-mail address. Thereafter,
Outlook's auto-completion cache will offer to "complete" the address when
you begin typing it into a recipient (To, Cc, Bcc) field, until the cache
entry is deleted or overwritten.
For a contact, you can type part of the person's name or (the first) part of
an e-mail address. If the part of the name you entered is unique, Outlook
will automatically select the contact for you. Otherwise, a red squiggly
line will appear beneath the name you entered. Right-click the text you
entered and a list of possible matches appears. For example, let's say you
have Bob Brown and Bob Smith in your contacts. If you type Bob in a
recipient field, Outlook can't determine which Bob you're referring to, so
it will underline the text "Bob" with a red squiggly after you tab out of
the recipient field. If you frequently send e-mail to both Bobs, you could
make a habit of typing a significant part of the correct recipient. If you
want to send e-mail to Bob Smith, a significant (unique) part of the name
would be "Bob S". For some reason, my test of Outlook 2003 didn't consider
"Bob B" significant, but it did "Bob Br".
MAPILab's Add Contacts product is a plugin that allows you to automatically
create contacts when you send new e-mail or reply to e-mail. It's not free,
but at $15 it may be worth trying.
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/add_contacts/marketplace.html

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated with MAPILab.

Hope that's helpful,

Ronald Nissley

0
rnissley (9)
9/11/2007 10:36:58 PM
You are failing to make an accurate distinction between autocompletion and
autoresolution. The two features are completely separate.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ronald Nissley" <rnissley@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
>>I don't understand the relationship between the email addresses I type,
>>and which come up in the 'To' field, and my contacts list. How do I get
>>the email addresses I type to be included in my contacts?
>
> Walt,
>
> Let's just say the relationship isn't very much. :-) The first time you
> manually type an address (for which there is no contact entry) in the 'To'
> field, you must correctly type the full e-mail address. Thereafter,
> Outlook's auto-completion cache will offer to "complete" the address when
> you begin typing it into a recipient (To, Cc, Bcc) field, until the cache
> entry is deleted or overwritten.
> For a contact, you can type part of the person's name or (the first) part
> of an e-mail address. If the part of the name you entered is unique,
> Outlook will automatically select the contact for you. Otherwise, a red
> squiggly line will appear beneath the name you entered. Right-click the
> text you entered and a list of possible matches appears. For example,
> let's say you have Bob Brown and Bob Smith in your contacts. If you type
> Bob in a recipient field, Outlook can't determine which Bob you're
> referring to, so it will underline the text "Bob" with a red squiggly
> after you tab out of the recipient field. If you frequently send e-mail to
> both Bobs, you could make a habit of typing a significant part of the
> correct recipient. If you want to send e-mail to Bob Smith, a significant
> (unique) part of the name would be "Bob S". For some reason, my test of
> Outlook 2003 didn't consider "Bob B" significant, but it did "Bob Br".
> MAPILab's Add Contacts product is a plugin that allows you to
> automatically create contacts when you send new e-mail or reply to e-mail.
> It's not free, but at $15 it may be worth trying.
> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/add_contacts/marketplace.html
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated with MAPILab.
>
> Hope that's helpful,
>
> Ronald Nissley

0
russval1 (2101)
9/12/2007 12:33:59 AM
Thanks guys, sorry I was vague in my post. Trying the add-in now.

"Ronald Nissley" <rnissley@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
>>I don't understand the relationship between the email addresses I type,
>>and which come up in the 'To' field, and my contacts list. How do I get
>>the email addresses I type to be included in my contacts?
>
> Walt,
>
> Let's just say the relationship isn't very much. :-) The first time you
> manually type an address (for which there is no contact entry) in the 'To'
> field, you must correctly type the full e-mail address. Thereafter,
> Outlook's auto-completion cache will offer to "complete" the address when
> you begin typing it into a recipient (To, Cc, Bcc) field, until the cache
> entry is deleted or overwritten.
> For a contact, you can type part of the person's name or (the first) part
> of an e-mail address. If the part of the name you entered is unique,
> Outlook will automatically select the contact for you. Otherwise, a red
> squiggly line will appear beneath the name you entered. Right-click the
> text you entered and a list of possible matches appears. For example,
> let's say you have Bob Brown and Bob Smith in your contacts. If you type
> Bob in a recipient field, Outlook can't determine which Bob you're
> referring to, so it will underline the text "Bob" with a red squiggly
> after you tab out of the recipient field. If you frequently send e-mail to
> both Bobs, you could make a habit of typing a significant part of the
> correct recipient. If you want to send e-mail to Bob Smith, a significant
> (unique) part of the name would be "Bob S". For some reason, my test of
> Outlook 2003 didn't consider "Bob B" significant, but it did "Bob Br".
> MAPILab's Add Contacts product is a plugin that allows you to
> automatically create contacts when you send new e-mail or reply to e-mail.
> It's not free, but at $15 it may be worth trying.
> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/add_contacts/marketplace.html
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated with MAPILab.
>
> Hope that's helpful,
>
> Ronald Nissley

0
anon4809 (19)

Data tags problem
I have an issue with a user I have just upgraded to Office 2003 and any help would be appreciated. The issue is with a spreadhseet containing a graph. The graph consists of 5 datapoints, the last of which is a total figure and does not have a colour bar i.e. only shows figures. However, on several of the graphs this figure is either hidden or blank and does not even print out. It appears to be totally random and occasionaly there is an additional problem whereby some of the bars just show the outline and not the colour infill. Any ideas please????? Tim Its ok,calm down everyone,i fix...

Organizational Forms Library Problem
Hi, Thank you fo taking the time to read this post. I have created an organisational form library on my Exchange 2003 server as per the KB Article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244591 As an admin, I can see and use the forms in the folder. Users get 'form load failed' and the forms folder is empty. They have rights to see and use the forms but not to change. Any ideas? Thanks Gordon Did you use Outlook to publish the new form files to the new forms folder? Nue "Gordon Lamb" <GordonLamb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6ED7E211-EED4-44...

Millions of contacts in CRM
Hi, I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to number of users not record number... I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just turning off replication i...

Contacts work for Accounts not contacts
Is there a way to limit the Parent Customer field on the Contact form so that it only allows Accounts to be chosen? We don't want the capability to allow Contacts to have Sub-Contacts - but it does not seem possible to hide the Sub-Contacts item in the contacts form left hand menu. Helen; Could you create a new custom entity [Companies or something like that] to use instead of Accounts? then create a relationship between Companies and Contacts and have the lookup on the contact form be to the Companies object, rather than Accounts (remove the parent account lookup field from the ...

Import Contact as AD contacts
Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in AD and enter all detail I want to import the current details I already have in the Public Folder as contacts thanks Mike On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:31:44 +0200, "Michael Greeff" <mikeg452@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts >in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in >AD and enter all detail I want to import the current de...

Let's exchange contact info #3
Hi, Goran Thisell here, how are you? I am putting together a contact list of individuals interested in sharing resources and business information. If you are interested in connecting please send your Name and information to: mailto:coghem@telia.com?subject=BUSINESS_CONTACT_NG I will follow up as soon as I get your email. It's not an autoresponder so it might not be right away. I appreciate your patience. I look forward to meeting you. Regards, Goran Thisell coghem@telia.com --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040306105317O0d3ZyV4 ...

OWA
Hi, When my clients create new contacts on their email accounts through OWA why is it they have type the persons name into the search window when they want to add a person or persons to their "to:" field in the message? Why doesn't their contacts show up in the bottom window so they can select one or more? Also when they create Distribution Lists via OWA they are not able to view the lists under Contacts like you can when you are using MS Outlook 2003, also the list doesn't show up when you search for it when creating a new message?? Why is that? Are there work aroun...

Pivot table problem #12
While not an expert at pivot tables, I've done them a few times and never seen this problem... I'm using the piviot table wizrd and keep getting the error that my 'pivot table field name is not valid'. Is this referring to the column headings? They are simple names like date, product code, location. I can't get past this to set up my pivot table format. Please help...report due on Monday!! There's probably a hidden column that has a blank heading cell, or you've included a blank column at the end of the range. KikiMarie wrote: > While not an expert at...

Beginning scripting and have a problem
I'm trying to get into understanding scripting and I have a book "Microsoft Windows Scripting self-paced Learning Guide" by Ed Wilson. The second example in the book is the following: Option Explicit 'On Error Resume Next Dim objShell Dim regActiveComputerName, regComputerName, regHostName Dim ActiveComputerName, ComputerName, HostName regActiveComputerName = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control \ComputerName\ActiveComputerName" 'Wscript.Echo regActiveComputerName regComputerName = "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\" & _ ...

Contacts view options
A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find it on search, mind you)... My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way around? Many thanks. Trent SC wrote: > A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find > it on search, mind you)... > > My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last > Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way > around? > Many thanks. Top ...

Add contact to group of appointments
Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Robert Bendett;144399 Wrote: > Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in > a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. > Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Each needs done individually. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com) 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-t...

Date problems
Using Excel 2003. I am using dates with the format .... yyyy/mm/dd in a Genealogy worksheet. When I input dates in the 1900 range I get all sorts of problems .... showing as ########### because they do not fit into the column width as 1899 does. When I widen the column the 1900 date offsets two spaces to the right. I can make it look right by playing with the width of the column. Sorting the column of dates puts the 1900 dates in various orders - top middle and bottom. Any ideas? Where can I access Excel FAQ's. Thanks Gerry Hi Gerry, Since you mention 1899 dates I assume you ...

Quick Query Problem
PARAMETERS [Forms]![Main Form]![cmbArea] Text ( 255 ); SELECT InspectionsDI.ID,InspectionsDI.Area FROM InspectionsDI WHERE InspectionsDI.Area=Forms![Main Form]!cmbArea; This code works correctly for each individual area but I also want to allow all the records to show if Forms![Main Form]!cmbArea = "ALL" I am not sure how to do this, I tried If statement but my syntax must have been wrong, thanks for help. Try this -- PARAMETERS [Forms]![Main Form]![cmbArea] Text ( 255 ); SELECT InspectionsDI.ID,InspectionsDI.Area FROM InspectionsDI WHERE InspectionsDI.Area Like II...

Problem with vectors
Hi, I am getting some strange error while using vectors in my application. The push_back() throws Unhandelled memory access error when the input files are larger in size (typically around 5MB+) However, this doen't seem to be a problem for files smaller than 5MB in size. I am processing the file record-by-record, so the vectors are declared anew for each record. Also the maximum no. of elements getting pushed onto the vectors has never exceeded 6000 and I guess that's well within the limit of the max elements that can be pushed onto the vector. I could resize() the vector before push_b...

Continuing saga of problems with online update of Money 98
In response to my 9/21/03 post re. difficulties in online updating of Money 98, Bonnie Synhorst, MVP, suggested unclicking a selection of symbols until the problem quote was isolated. Given the description of how Money 98 reacts to an incorrect symbol, that sounds like a rational solution. But, when I try that I get another error message saying (paraphrase) that Money was not able to download internet quotes and that I should verify the following: 1)check modem connection & modem settings in windows control panel; (I've got cable internet connection through earthlink or am I...

Problem Copying records with combo box
I'm having trouble copying a child record to a new parent. All fields are copying properly, EXCEPT the combo box field that is bound to column 2 in the child record. The other combo box fields that are in the child record are copying fine, since they are bound to column 1. This used to work fine in Access97. My users pointed out the change in functionality to me since we changed to AccessXP. I am copying using Select record, copy record. Help! TIA, Kathy ...

Pst import access Problem
I am experiencing a problem reading outlook files saved from work(a pst) and imported to outlook at home. These files were loaded to my home HD and folder/file properties wer adjusted to not readonly. After importing the messages they appear in their appropriate folders When I attempt to open a message I receive this message in a pop-u box: Can't open this file. I am running outlook 98 on my laptop and Outlook from Office XP on m desktop. The Outlook98 version is 8.5.7806.0 Any help would be greatly appreciated as these files are important t me. Thank You Jac -- jskowa ---------------...

add contact attribute to contact form
I need to add a new attribute 'introducer' of type contact to the contact form. I can't use the 'parent customer' attribute because I am using it for something else. The introducer is an employee of the account selected as 'parent customer', so ideally I would like the attribute to be a lookup of contacts filtered for the value of 'parent customer'. I then want to populate the address of the introducer into custom address attributes of the contact. Can anyone suggest how I might do this? Thanks, Lorraine. -- Lorraine Quigley Lorraine, You can't a...

Contact Types
I have users complaining that they are seeing too many contacts at once and only want to see the contacts that are available to them. When a user opens an Account and clicks on Contacts, how can it be made to display only the Contacts that are pertinent to a certain user or function? Hello, Microsoft CRM 3.0 is designed such a way that the user acually will see any record that he's allowed to see. You could limit rights to users, but I don't think this is the way to go. Currently I don't see a way to restrict the visible contacts based upon which user is logged on. If user...

GP 7.5 and Acrobat 6.0
Are these two compatible? I have been able to print to the PDF printer in the past, but every now and then it doesnt work. I get a printer error. Would this be less of an issue if I installed an older version of Acrobat? If I upgraded Great Plains, what version of Acrobat would I need then? Please help... Chris There was a problem with Adobe v6, but it was supposedly fixed in a 7.5 service pack. Are you on the latest sp? "Chris" <chrishoche@odysseylogistics.com> wrote in message news:EFBB1C65-0DC1-4E8F-9F6E-1EE4E8884CD7@microsoft.com... > Are these two compatible? ...

printing problems #3
We have an HP Laser Printer (1300) with plenty of ram.. and yet I get an error whenever I send something of legal size to the printer. Is anyone else having compatibility issues between Publisher and HP? I called HP support and they indicate it must be application problem.. i.e. issues with Publisher. Word docs print fine. Werner I forgot to mention. The printer is on a server. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Werner <wernerno@spamon.aibn.com>... > I called HP support and they indicate it must be application > problem.. i.e. issu...

Exchange server 2003 installation problem
Hi, I am new in Exchange Server. I am trying to insatll exchange server 2003. I download trial version of software and Exchange Server 2003 guide.doc from microsoft. I used Win 2003 server for OS, make the server as a domain controller with Active directory because it is testing so that i do not want to join our domain. Install all the services which the guide recommended. Run the Exchange 2003 ForestPrep and DoaminPrep from CD which I downloaded . wehn I try to install actual Exchange server the window looks just like ForestPrep, not the pictures guide shows. It is all greyed out and ...

synching contacts with exchange 2003
Hello, Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automatically saved to the server or do I have to back up that info seperately in a .pst file? Thanks for any help. In news:OSmzfK59GHA.4708@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, Peter McCaul <compcoff@hotmail.com> typed: > Hello, > > Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. > > Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. > > If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automati...

Problems with Holidays
Hi there. I am using Outlook 2000 for Windows XP - Home Edition. I have followed the instructions to add holidays to my calendar - in this case, Canadian and Christian holidays. Once I complete the process, there are no holidays there. I have been reading on this group about "OutHol.exe". What is this file? Do I need it? If so, how can I get it? When you reply, can you please reply by email to llimbo72@yahoo.com? For some reason my hotmail account randomly decides not to deliver mail from some people, so I can't rely on it. Limbo. If you have Outlook 2000 or an earlier ...

Problem due to Worker Threads?
Hi This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application. I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application. After running the application for some time my application gives me a run time error. The location where the error arises is not fixed.It can come any where. I dont understand y is this happening. I am facing such a problem for the first time. I think it has got something to do with multi threading. Waiting for suggestions Regards Davinder wrote: > This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application. > I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application. >...