Contacts in Outlook 2003 (and other Office 2003 atrocities)

Every time Microsoft does a new improved version of Office it ruins what few
features it had before that worked.  Going to Office 2003 (from 2000)makes a
real mess of almost all of Office (it ruined what formatting I had in
WORD -- the numbering goes to some default that MS thinks I *should*
want).  It also makes it impossible for me to find people (not CONTACTS,
these are FRIENDS) I had in my address book in Outlook.  For example I used
to be able to type in my friends' nicknames, but that doesn't work in 2003
(the nickname is there alright, but you can't retrieve them by typing the
nickname).  This you call an improvement?

ZeeMan

0
zenonp (3)

Um, return the package for a refund... most of the rest of us are happy with
the improvements.

Or do some research before you jump in and buy the latest and greatest.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,
zenonp@earthlink.net asked:

| Every time Microsoft does a new improved version of Office it ruins
| what few features it had before that worked.  Going to Office 2003
| (from 2000)makes a real mess of almost all of Office (it ruined what
| formatting I had in
| WORD -- the numbering goes to some default that MS thinks I *should*
| want).  It also makes it impossible for me to find people (not
| CONTACTS, these are FRIENDS) I had in my address book in Outlook.
| For example I used to be able to type in my friends' nicknames, but
| that doesn't work in 2003 (the nickname is there alright, but you
| can't retrieve them by typing the nickname).  This you call an
| improvement?
|
| ZeeMan

0
MillyS5166 (1132)
2/29/2004 8:26:08 PM
I guess I'm in the minority also.  I don't have a lot of spare time to research software features.  I thought it was reasonable to assume that Microsoft would not eliminate features in new versions.
0
anonymous (74717)

Contacts work for Accounts not contacts
Is there a way to limit the Parent Customer field on the Contact form so that it only allows Accounts to be chosen? We don't want the capability to allow Contacts to have Sub-Contacts - but it does not seem possible to hide the Sub-Contacts item in the contacts form left hand menu. Helen; Could you create a new custom entity [Companies or something like that] to use instead of Accounts? then create a relationship between Companies and Contacts and have the lookup on the contact form be to the Companies object, rather than Accounts (remove the parent account lookup field from the ...

After closing, Outlook remains in task bar, How did get rid of it
I have 4 profiles on my outlook. two weeks ago, whenever the first person logged on after a shutdown, an icon appears in the task bar. When outlook is subsequently closed, the icon remains. Any further attempt to open outlook, opens to the profile that was last opened. It should open to a window that allows a different profile to open outlook. Now the only way to switch profiles is to shutdown and reopen outlook. That profile is then the only one that can be opened until shutdown. Can anyone help!! You have a 3rd party application installed that is keeping Outlook open at ...

Publisher 2003 #27
Cannot view wmf clipart Could we have a few more details? When can't you view it? What is the error? "fpcrecep" wrote: > Cannot view wmf clipart Try, view, pictures, detailed display -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "fpcrecep" <fpcrecep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:326324EB-6598-4E95-AC43-A3A148B365BB@microsoft.com... > Cannot view wmf clipart ...

Outlook compatibility with older Office versions
Our environment consists of Lotus Notes, Office 2000, and Windows 2000 with some XP. We would like to move to Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007. We don't want to tie the migration to workstation OS or Office upgrades. Will Outlook work on the same machine as Office 2000? WIndows 2000? It will work on the same machine as Office 2000 but it requires Windows XP SP2 or later for the OS. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com "GAZ" <gregzook@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1187417988.013915.126510@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Millions of contacts in CRM
Hi, I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to number of users not record number... I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just turning off replication i...

are excel 2003 and xp the same
I'm looking at online and evening classes for excel. Some of them mention Excel XP is required software to take the course. I have Excel 2003 installed on my home computer. Is 2003 considered the same as XP? Excel 2003 is newer than Excel xp, so anything you learn on xp you can use on 2003. The differences are minimal. I see no problem in taking a course on xp, while using 2003. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:122ts9qo5sds285@corp.supernews.com... > I'm looking at online and evening classes for excel...

Import Contact as AD contacts
Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in AD and enter all detail I want to import the current details I already have in the Public Folder as contacts thanks Mike On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:31:44 +0200, "Michael Greeff" <mikeg452@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts >in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in >AD and enter all detail I want to import the current de...

outlook #137
I am not able to open a jpeg with outlook on one of my computers Please Help from Canada ...

Let's exchange contact info #3
Hi, Goran Thisell here, how are you? I am putting together a contact list of individuals interested in sharing resources and business information. If you are interested in connecting please send your Name and information to: mailto:coghem@telia.com?subject=BUSINESS_CONTACT_NG I will follow up as soon as I get your email. It's not an autoresponder so it might not be right away. I appreciate your patience. I look forward to meeting you. Regards, Goran Thisell coghem@telia.com --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040306105317O0d3ZyV4 ...

How can I get Outlook to connect to Novell?
I have a old Novell NetWare server. Probably about 10 - 15 years old. I don't know much about Novell. I have the client installed on the network properties. I can get to the Novell shares. I just don't know how to get the email out. They use GroupWise and are moving to Outlook 2003. I don't know how to connect Outlook 2003 to the GroupWise mail server. It doesn't use IP Addresses does it? It has an IPX number, but I'm not sure what to do. Any guidance is appreciated. See if the info here helps: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/enterprise.htm#groupwise &l...

OWA
Hi, When my clients create new contacts on their email accounts through OWA why is it they have type the persons name into the search window when they want to add a person or persons to their "to:" field in the message? Why doesn't their contacts show up in the bottom window so they can select one or more? Also when they create Distribution Lists via OWA they are not able to view the lists under Contacts like you can when you are using MS Outlook 2003, also the list doesn't show up when you search for it when creating a new message?? Why is that? Are there work aroun...

How do I email an enitre outlook folder to someone?
I need to email to a friend one of my entire Outlook Folders that I created and can't figure out how to do it. There are so many emails in that it is impossible to email one email at a time from that folder. What can I do? can'tfigureitout wrote: > I need to email to a friend one of my entire Outlook Folders that I created > and can't figure out how to do it. There are so many emails in that it is > impossible to email one email at a time from that folder. > What can I do? So hit Ctrl+A to select all the e-mails in the folder and drag them into your...

Outlook Express for XP Question
Is there a way to have all responses from News servers be directed to a folder? Kind of like how inbox is? Or is not can Outlook do this? No, you will have to select them and move them manually into your Outlook Express folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, DanB asked: | Is there a way to have all responses from News servers be directed to | a fo...

Reminders in Outlook 2007 display behind the application
Reminder appears on the task bar. It does not pop up in front of the application window. If you minimize the application, the reminder window will be there behind the application. User had received a new pc and has noticed a change in the displaying of reminders. Using Outlook 2007 SP2 with Exchange 2007 SP1. I did not find any options within Outlook that would control this. -- Meg Do the reminders pop up as normal if you start Outlook in safe mode? Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe *note the space between outlook.exe and /safe* If you run Vista: Start > Sta...

outlook settings #10
Hi, I want to prevent a user from deleting any email. I am not on exchange server, but rather using pop3 "Brian S." <bsgallatin@community.nospam> wrote in message news:JZmdnWu3yaWfprXUnZ2dnUVZ_vGdnZ2d@insightbb.com... > Hi, > I want to prevent a user from deleting any email. I am not on exchange > server, but rather using pop3 > Don't think you can do that.... Brian S. wrote: > Hi, > I want to prevent a user from deleting any email. I am not on exchange > server, but rather using pop3 Change the password on the email account. Don't...

Regarding button grayed out in CRM for Outlook
Hello, I have the above problem in 2 pcs. First has OS windows XP professional and Outlook 2003 SP2. Second has OS windows 2000 professional and Outlook 2003 SP2. In both the CRM toolbar appears fine, and, when you click on it the forms that open have the Regarding buttons grayed out, so we cannot really use them. No error message, no other problems. Please advise, Elena So does it work for other computers or other users on those computers? Could be a security role issue for the users. Does it work if they access CRM through Explorer rather than Outlook client? Ryan Elena wrote: &...

Contacts view options
A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find it on search, mind you)... My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way around? Many thanks. Trent SC wrote: > A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find > it on search, mind you)... > > My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last > Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way > around? > Many thanks. Top ...

Add contact to group of appointments
Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Robert Bendett;144399 Wrote: > Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in > a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. > Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Each needs done individually. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com) 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-t...

Outlook 2007 display scrambled
Ever since I switched over to Vista and Outlook 2007 if I leave Outlook up and running overnight 99.9% of the time the display gets scrambled and I have to <ATL> <F4> to close it. Most of the graphic elements disappear and the text elements get pushed up to the left of the window (i.e. the list of items in my inbox). It's like all of it's internal mechanisms for measurement go berzerk. After closing and reopening it is fine except for the fact that it complains that the data file was shut down dirty and thay it has to perform a check. I never have any problems with ...

Location of Outlook name cache?
Using Outlook 2002 on Windows 2000 SP4 desktop and Exchange 2000 Server; trying to find the location of the Outlook name cache on the local harddrive. Auto-complete brings up names and addresses that are not listed in any address books or contacts; I would like to be able to access these addresses and add them to my contacts (I know how to add a result to contacts after auto-complete brings it up, but I would like to access the name cache directly). Any help appreciated! Thanks, Gary Swearengin You can find it by searching for *.NK2 But you can't access it. -- Russ Valentine ...

add contact attribute to contact form
I need to add a new attribute 'introducer' of type contact to the contact form. I can't use the 'parent customer' attribute because I am using it for something else. The introducer is an employee of the account selected as 'parent customer', so ideally I would like the attribute to be a lookup of contacts filtered for the value of 'parent customer'. I then want to populate the address of the introducer into custom address attributes of the contact. Can anyone suggest how I might do this? Thanks, Lorraine. -- Lorraine Quigley Lorraine, You can't a...

Transferring email account from Outlook Express to Outlook
I have transferred by main BT email account from OE to Outlook with no difficulty. However, a subsidiary account that I use will not be accessed. I have added it to the accounts list and checked all settings. I have removed it from Outlook Express. When I run the Test Account option, all seems well, but when I send a message to myself at that account it appears to send successfully, but cannot be received. Any suggestions? What SMTP server are you sending through? Primary or secondary? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

Outlook 2002 #77
I have a delay in receiving my new messages. When I go to create a new message then I start receiving my messages. ...

Run Outlook on a stand alone computer
Is it possible to run Outlook on a stand alone computer. When I try to run outlook, I get an error message stating "Unable to display the selected folder or item. Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." StanF <StanF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to run Outlook on a stand alone computer. Certainly. Thousands do. > When I try > to run outlook, I get an error message stating "Unable to display the > selected folder or item. Could not complete the operation. One or > more parameter values are n...

Contact Types
I have users complaining that they are seeing too many contacts at once and only want to see the contacts that are available to them. When a user opens an Account and clicks on Contacts, how can it be made to display only the Contacts that are pertinent to a certain user or function? Hello, Microsoft CRM 3.0 is designed such a way that the user acually will see any record that he's allowed to see. You could limit rights to users, but I don't think this is the way to go. Currently I don't see a way to restrict the visible contacts based upon which user is logged on. If user...