Contacts folder versus Address Book

I'm running Outlook XP under Windows XP Pro on my home computer.  I'm the only
user.

I want to add a new entry to my Outlook Address Book.  I open the Outlook
Address Book and click to make a New Entry.  At the bottom of the window there
is "Put this entry" and two options: Contacts, Outlook Address Book.  I click
Outlook Address Book and get this message: You cannot create entries for this
address book.

If, instead, I choose Contacts, there's no problem, I see the new contact in
Outlook's the Contacts folder, but not in the Address Book.

How do I add a new entry to the Address Book?

e8924 (6)

You can't, nor do you need to.
The Address Book is just a view of your Contacts Folder. It is not the
interface for data entry.
Enter new Contact Data into the Contacts Folder.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"e" <e@noaddress.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Outlook XP under Windows XP Pro on my home computer.  I'm the
only
> user.
>
> I want to add a new entry to my Outlook Address Book.  I open the Outlook
> Address Book and click to make a New Entry.  At the bottom of the window
there
> is "Put this entry" and two options: Contacts, Outlook Address Book.  I
click
> Outlook Address Book and get this message: You cannot create entries for
this
> address book.
>
> If, instead, I choose Contacts, there's no problem, I see the new contact
in
> Outlook's the Contacts folder, but not in the Address Book.
>
> How do I add a new entry to the Address Book?

russval (3097)
12/26/2003 12:40:04 AM
Exactly.
It's about the Contacts folder, it's not about the Address Book.
Don't think of the Address Book as an address book.
Think of the Address Book as a "gateway" to your Contact Folder.
The Contact Folder is a very powerful, manageable tool for organizing
people. The Categories feature, for instance, can be used as a
super-flexible email distribution tool. I love it.

> You can't, nor do you need to.
> The Address Book is just a view of your Contacts Folder. It is not the
> interface for data entry.
> Enter new Contact Data into the Contacts Folder.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "e" <e@noaddress.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running Outlook XP under Windows XP Pro on my home computer.  I'm
the
> only
> > user.
> >
> > I want to add a new entry to my Outlook Address Book.  I open the
Outlook
> > Address Book and click to make a New Entry.  At the bottom of the window
> there
> > is "Put this entry" and two options: Contacts, Outlook Address Book.  I
> click
> > Outlook Address Book and get this message: You cannot create entries for
> this
> > address book.
> >
> > If, instead, I choose Contacts, there's no problem, I see the new
contact
> in
> > Outlook's the Contacts folder, but not in the Address Book.
> >
> > How do I add a new entry to the Address Book?

gw84 (7)
12/26/2003 2:02:03 AM
Thanks, Russ and Gary, for your replies.

"Gary Wachs" <gw84@cox.net> wrote in message
: Exactly.
: It's about the Contacts folder, it's not about the Address Book.
: Don't think of the Address Book as an address book.
: Think of the Address Book as a "gateway" to your Contact Folder.
: The Contact Folder is a very powerful, manageable tool for organizing
: people. The Categories feature, for instance, can be used as a
: super-flexible email distribution tool. I love it.
:
:
: "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
: news:OvaCPj0yDHA.2508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > You can't, nor do you need to.
: > The Address Book is just a view of your Contacts Folder. It is not the
: > interface for data entry.
: > Enter new Contact Data into the Contacts Folder.
: > --
: > Russ Valentine
: > [MVP-Outlook]
: > "e" <e@noaddress.com> wrote in message
: > news:u$qv3ZyyDHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > > I'm running Outlook XP under Windows XP Pro on my home computer.  I'm
: the
: > only
: > > user.
: > >
[...]
: >
: >
:
:

0
e8924 (6)

Count books with start and end numbers
How do I count a series of books with start and end book numbers? I have a query, qryBooks, that has a box number and a start and end value for a series of books (100000 - 100010) 11 books. How do I get a query to count the books in the series and return a total to me? -- Thanks As Always Rip DCount("*", "tableNameHere", "BookSerialNumber BETWEEN FORMS!formName!StartingSerialNumber AND FORMS!formName!EndingSerialNumber" ) Hoping it may help, Vanderghast, Access MVP "Ripper" <Ripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7FDD1...

Calendar folder doesn't synchronize with offline folder..
Hi I have a very annoying problem. The (olny!) calendar folder off Outlook 2003 doesn't synchronize its offline folder any more. In Eigenschaften -> Synchronisierung I can read that the calendar contains 500 elements but the offline folder only 150. Whatever I try the offline folder doesn't synchronize. Synchronization works perfect with all other folders. Nor I apply any filters either.. Any ideas? Thx Gerhard Make sure the the Calendar folder is selected for synchronisation in; Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Setup-> button Send/Receive-> select default send/recei...

Contacts work for Accounts not contacts
Is there a way to limit the Parent Customer field on the Contact form so that it only allows Accounts to be chosen? We don't want the capability to allow Contacts to have Sub-Contacts - but it does not seem possible to hide the Sub-Contacts item in the contacts form left hand menu. Helen; Could you create a new custom entity [Companies or something like that] to use instead of Accounts? then create a relationship between Companies and Contacts and have the lookup on the contact form be to the Companies object, rather than Accounts (remove the parent account lookup field from the ...

Millions of contacts in CRM
Hi, I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to number of users not record number... I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just turning off replication i...

Public Folder Replicas #6
Windows 2000, Exchange 5.5 - We are replicating public folders with and between sites to a new server. It appears that when people look at the folders on the new server they cannot see the content. We prove this by shutting down the Pub and users can then see the information. Has anyone seen this before? "Kevin Baker" <KevinBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Windows 2000, Exchange 5.5 - We are replicating public folders with and >between sites to a new server. It appears that when people look at the >folders on the new server they cannot see the cont...

Import Contact as AD contacts
Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in AD and enter all detail I want to import the current details I already have in the Public Folder as contacts thanks Mike On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:31:44 +0200, "Michael Greeff" <mikeg452@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts >in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in >AD and enter all detail I want to import the current de...

Corrupt Personal Folder file
If a personal folder (.pst) file has become corrupted, is it possible to retreive all the data from that file into a new personal folder file? >If a personal folder (.pst) file has become corrupted, is >it possible to retreive all the data from that file into a >new personal folder file? The Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) will be able to recover some or even most of it, but most likely not all of it. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Sm...

duplicate personal folders #4
i have 2 complete (and seperate) sets of personal folders. how do i get rid of one of the redundant sets? Thanks. Under tools/ options / mail setup tab there is a data files button. there you will see the data files... you can then choose which data file to remove. >-----Original Message----- >i have 2 complete (and seperate) sets of personal >folders. how do i get rid of one of the redundant sets? >Thanks. >. > ...

Let's exchange contact info #3
Hi, Goran Thisell here, how are you? I am putting together a contact list of individuals interested in sharing resources and business information. If you are interested in connecting please send your Name and information to: mailto:coghem@telia.com?subject=BUSINESS_CONTACT_NG I will follow up as soon as I get your email. It's not an autoresponder so it might not be right away. I appreciate your patience. I look forward to meeting you. Regards, Goran Thisell coghem@telia.com --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040306105317O0d3ZyV4 ...

Inline AutoComplete for Address Bar removed in IE8 (FYI)
<QP> Inline AutoComplete Internet Explorer 8 removed support for one of my favorite browser features: Inline AutoComplete (IAC) for the address bar. This feature was off-by-default, but for almost a decade the first thing I did when setting up a new computer was enable IAC using the checkbox Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Use inline AutoComplete. For IE8, we introduced a new Smart Address Bar which offers a bunch of improvements including better and more relevant suggestions in the new flyout window. The feature also includes keyboard tips, which show ...

viewing large public folders slow
When viewing a large public folder (100,000+ items) the list can take several minutes to display for clients. The MSX server (SBS 2003) is on same LAN with less than 25 users. Clients are OL 2003 in cached mode. I have not seen this behavior at other customer sites with slower servers running MSX 2000/2003. Is this behavior expected? Any way to tune it? -- D. Well the first problem you have is that your folder has more than 5000 items in it which is the recommended standard. When you have a folder with as many items as you do you are going to cause excessive cpu utilization for the st...

OWA
Hi, When my clients create new contacts on their email accounts through OWA why is it they have type the persons name into the search window when they want to add a person or persons to their "to:" field in the message? Why doesn't their contacts show up in the bottom window so they can select one or more? Also when they create Distribution Lists via OWA they are not able to view the lists under Contacts like you can when you are using MS Outlook 2003, also the list doesn't show up when you search for it when creating a new message?? Why is that? Are there work aroun...

How do I email an enitre outlook folder to someone?
I need to email to a friend one of my entire Outlook Folders that I created and can't figure out how to do it. There are so many emails in that it is impossible to email one email at a time from that folder. What can I do? can'tfigureitout wrote: > I need to email to a friend one of my entire Outlook Folders that I created > and can't figure out how to do it. There are so many emails in that it is > impossible to email one email at a time from that folder. > What can I do? So hit Ctrl+A to select all the e-mails in the folder and drag them into your...

public folder #20
I would like create a publique folder which has one mails box, and which the user can consult the emails, and when they answer the emails it is with the address of public folder and that of the users On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 02:42:02 -0700, Gerome <Gerome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like create a publique folder which has one mails box, and which the >user can consult the emails, and when they answer the emails it is with the >address of public folder and that of the users Create it, mail-enable it, give that user SEND AS permission to it and they access it...

Adjusting rows versus columns for formulas
I'm trying to find any way to adjust the row when I paste the formula in the next column or visa versa. I would be willing to use indirect references, but transposing my data would not work well as the data displays much better in the formats they are in. Ex. On first worksheet the data is like D E F G 2 | 25 50 39 27 .... and the second worksheet I'd like it to be G 3| Sheet1!D2 4| Sheet!E2 5| .... I don't really care what method I use to do this, but I'd rather not have to write a visual basic function to translate between the cells. >>but I'd...

Contacts view options
A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find it on search, mind you)... My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way around? Many thanks. Trent SC wrote: > A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find > it on search, mind you)... > > My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last > Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way > around? > Many thanks. Top ...

Add contact to group of appointments
Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Robert Bendett;144399 Wrote: > Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in > a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. > Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Each needs done individually. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com) 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-t...

add contact attribute to contact form
I need to add a new attribute 'introducer' of type contact to the contact form. I can't use the 'parent customer' attribute because I am using it for something else. The introducer is an employee of the account selected as 'parent customer', so ideally I would like the attribute to be a lookup of contacts filtered for the value of 'parent customer'. I then want to populate the address of the introducer into custom address attributes of the contact. Can anyone suggest how I might do this? Thanks, Lorraine. -- Lorraine Quigley Lorraine, You can't a...

Opening Other Users "Non
Hello All: I tried sharing a folder that was on the exchange server using my Outlook 2003 , but when I go to another computer and try to connect, all I get to see are "Inbox, Calendar, etc".. How do I see the specific folder that I'm trying to share? Do I need to move it under my Inbox in order for other people to see it? -Blake to share and see non-standard folders, you either need to have someone add your mailbox to their folder view (after you have given the appropriate rights) so they can then navigate down to it, have them use OWA to see it (where you can explici...

Contact Types
I have users complaining that they are seeing too many contacts at once and only want to see the contacts that are available to them. When a user opens an Account and clicks on Contacts, how can it be made to display only the Contacts that are pertinent to a certain user or function? Hello, Microsoft CRM 3.0 is designed such a way that the user acually will see any record that he's allowed to see. You could limit rights to users, but I don't think this is the way to go. Currently I don't see a way to restrict the visible contacts based upon which user is logged on. If user...

Folder List View Save?
Using Outlook 2003 on Win 2k Server. I prefer to use the Folder List view for my Personal Folders. I'm having a problem with Outlook remembering which folders were expanded when I close and later reopen Outlook. For example, if I have this folder hierarchy under Personal Folders: A B ---B1 ---B2 ---B3 C ---C1 ---C2 ---C3 D Let's say that I don't want to take up the screen space to show the subfolders under "C". I collapse that folder, and it now looks like this: A B ---B1 ---B2 ---B3 C D I then exit Outlook, shut the PC off and go home. The next day, I start every...

synching contacts with exchange 2003
Hello, Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automatically saved to the server or do I have to back up that info seperately in a .pst file? Thanks for any help. In news:OSmzfK59GHA.4708@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, Peter McCaul <compcoff@hotmail.com> typed: > Hello, > > Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. > > Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. > > If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automati...

Need to place a static address but can't
I'm creating atemplate Form in Access. There I have a logo. Beside the logo, I want to put the address, city phone etc., to be static, that is, always there. The form is used to input Invoice data and from there, comparison made to the actual verses receivables. The Form will be the invoce and neds the logo and address. When I use the Text box option, I get a note that it is a Invalid control property. Plus, when I bold one word, all of them turn to bold. How might I place a staic text field that I can change fonts in without everything in that same field changing? Thanks There...

OWA & Public Folders #2
Hi all, in OWA it's possible to show in the same tree the Public Folders ? Actually, when I click on Public Folder button, it's opens a new window containing Public Folder tree. I remember that in OWA Exchange 2000, the Public Folder tree was at the end of the private folder tree. Thank's for the help. Marco Exchange 2003 changed the Public folder behavior. It no longer appears in the same folder view as the mailbox. Clicking on the Public Folders link will now open up the PF view in another window (as you have seen). -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Marc...

Contacts Search