Contact sorting - minor glitch ... or not?

I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list starts
with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in question is ...
@backup.

If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go to
that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.  If I
click on '123' it does not display.

What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Dave

I should add that the contact in question always appears when I _first_ open
Contacts.  It just never apears if I use the alphabet tabs on the right.

Thanks, DH

0
Dave
11/16/2009 10:29:59 AM
It's because the "@" and other non-alphabetical or non-numerical characters
don't have their own index tab but will be displayed at the top as
exceptions. Pressing the Home key on your keyboard will also bring up this
name.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
> I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list starts
> with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in question is ...
> @backup.
>
> If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go to
> that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.  If I
> click on '123' it does not display.
>
> What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Roady
11/16/2009 11:10:31 AM
Roady,

Thanks for the info and the tip re the Home key ... and thanks for the very
fast reply!

Dave Horne

message news:OY2k21qZKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> It's because the "@" and other non-alphabetical or non-numerical
> characters don't have their own index tab but will be displayed at the top
> as exceptions. Pressing the Home key on your keyboard will also bring up
> this name.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list starts
>> with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in question is ...
>> @backup.
>>
>> If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go to
>> that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.  If I
>> click on '123' it does not display.
>>
>> What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Dave
11/16/2009 11:18:49 AM

> I should add that the contact in question always appears when I _first_ open
> Contacts.  It just never apears if I use the alphabet tabs on the right.

In the ASCII character set, "@" comes after digits and before upper case
letters, but Outlook subverts that order, showing contacts whose File As
starts with a digit prior to those starting with letters.  Moreover, it
provides no symbol button on the right, perhaps because the designers didn't
anticipate anyone ever starting contacts with symbols.  If you know you have a
contact whose File As starts with the symbol, just press that symbol on the
keyboard and you'll jump to it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
11/16/2009 12:44:09 PM
You're welcome! :-)

--

> Roady,
>
> Thanks for the info and the tip re the Home key ... and thanks for the
> very fast reply!
>
> Dave Horne
>

> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in message news:OY2k21qZKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> It's because the "@" and other non-alphabetical or non-numerical
>> characters don't have their own index tab but will be displayed at the
>> top as exceptions. Pressing the Home key on your keyboard will also bring
>> up this name.
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>
>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>
>> -----
>>
>> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>>> I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list
>>> starts with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in
>>> question is ... @backup.
>>>
>>> If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go
>>> to that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.
>>> If I click on '123' it does not display.
>>>
>>> What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Roady
11/16/2009 3:39:34 PM
Brian, thanks for the additional information!

DH

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>
>> I should add that the contact in question always appears when I _first_
>> open Contacts.  It just never apears if I use the alphabet tabs on the
>> right.
>
> In the ASCII character set, "@" comes after digits and before upper case
> letters, but Outlook subverts that order, showing contacts whose File As
> starts with a digit prior to those starting with letters.  Moreover, it
> provides no symbol button on the right, perhaps because the designers
> didn't anticipate anyone ever starting contacts with symbols.  If you know
> you have a contact whose File As starts with the symbol, just press that
> symbol on the keyboard and you'll jump to it.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Dave

Contacts work for Accounts not contacts
Is there a way to limit the Parent Customer field on the Contact form so that it only allows Accounts to be chosen? We don't want the capability to allow Contacts to have Sub-Contacts - but it does not seem possible to hide the Sub-Contacts item in the contacts form left hand menu. Helen; Could you create a new custom entity [Companies or something like that] to use instead of Accounts? then create a relationship between Companies and Contacts and have the lookup on the contact form be to the Companies object, rather than Accounts (remove the parent account lookup field from the ...

Millions of contacts in CRM
Hi, I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to number of users not record number... I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just turning off replication i...

Import Contact as AD contacts
Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in AD and enter all detail I want to import the current details I already have in the Public Folder as contacts thanks Mike On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:31:44 +0200, "Michael Greeff" <mikeg452@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts >in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in >AD and enter all detail I want to import the current de...

Let's exchange contact info #3
Hi, Goran Thisell here, how are you? I am putting together a contact list of individuals interested in sharing resources and business information. If you are interested in connecting please send your Name and information to: mailto:coghem@telia.com?subject=BUSINESS_CONTACT_NG I will follow up as soon as I get your email. It's not an autoresponder so it might not be right away. I appreciate your patience. I look forward to meeting you. Regards, Goran Thisell coghem@telia.com --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040306105317O0d3ZyV4 ...

OWA
Hi, When my clients create new contacts on their email accounts through OWA why is it they have type the persons name into the search window when they want to add a person or persons to their "to:" field in the message? Why doesn't their contacts show up in the bottom window so they can select one or more? Also when they create Distribution Lists via OWA they are not able to view the lists under Contacts like you can when you are using MS Outlook 2003, also the list doesn't show up when you search for it when creating a new message?? Why is that? Are there work aroun...

Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help
Fellow Forum Members, I have like 1400 rows of lotto winning history (small sample below). My objective is to sort in ascending order each row. The problem is that Excel 2003 is behaving oddly. I'm using Data-> Sort -> Options -> Sort Left to Right command. And I have highlighted the data in several ways with no success. Excel only sorts one row even though I have 1400 rows selected. Can someone help me with a macro that will sort the numbers row by row in ascending order? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 37 36 26 42 10 23 2 48 3 1 13 28 13 28 4 46 3 35 11 6 31 2 ...

Contacts view options
A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find it on search, mind you)... My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way around? Many thanks. Trent SC wrote: > A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find > it on search, mind you)... > > My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last > Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way > around? > Many thanks. Top ...

Add contact to group of appointments
Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Robert Bendett;144399 Wrote: > Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in > a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. > Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Each needs done individually. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com) 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-t...

add contact attribute to contact form
I need to add a new attribute 'introducer' of type contact to the contact form. I can't use the 'parent customer' attribute because I am using it for something else. The introducer is an employee of the account selected as 'parent customer', so ideally I would like the attribute to be a lookup of contacts filtered for the value of 'parent customer'. I then want to populate the address of the introducer into custom address attributes of the contact. Can anyone suggest how I might do this? Thanks, Lorraine. -- Lorraine Quigley Lorraine, You can't a...

Contact Types
I have users complaining that they are seeing too many contacts at once and only want to see the contacts that are available to them. When a user opens an Account and clicks on Contacts, how can it be made to display only the Contacts that are pertinent to a certain user or function? Hello, Microsoft CRM 3.0 is designed such a way that the user acually will see any record that he's allowed to see. You could limit rights to users, but I don't think this is the way to go. Currently I don't see a way to restrict the visible contacts based upon which user is logged on. If user...

synching contacts with exchange 2003
Hello, Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automatically saved to the server or do I have to back up that info seperately in a .pst file? Thanks for any help. In news:OSmzfK59GHA.4708@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, Peter McCaul <compcoff@hotmail.com> typed: > Hello, > > Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. > > Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. > > If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automati...

Sort Worksheets
I have a WorkBook with 200+ Worksheets. I sort these A-Z with a VBA code. Somewhere I read a tip on how to GoTo a Worksheet directly without scrolling the Tabs. Am I dreaming? Bob M. Try one of these macros.... 'Enter exact sheet name Sub Macro1() Dim strSheet As String, ws As Worksheet strSheet = InputBox("Enter Sheet Name") On Error Resume Next Set ws = Sheets(strSheet) If ws Is Nothing Then MsgBox "Cannot find the sheet" Else Sheets(strSheet).Activate End If End Sub 'Enter a string..which match the sheetname Sub Macro2() D...

Contacts Search

WLM contacts wont import from .WAB
I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many problems. Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to my 2008 R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts, they show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM the imported contacts are no longer there. anyone have any ideas? Leon I found that removing all punctuation marks (comma's, periods ...) from the contact's street address field cured this exact problem "Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote ...

Missing CONTACTS in email even thought Contacts are in "MY CONTACT
I need help! I just bought a new computer, and fairly versed with Outlook and Microsoft Products. I used the Windows Easy Transfer program to transfer files & settings from my old computer (which was Windows XP, running Office 2007) to a new computer (which is Windows 7.0 running Office 2007) and everything came over fine. Bookmarks, all "MY Documents," email settings, contacts, calendar, EVERYTHING. Kudo's to Microsoft for having this tool. One problem that I ran into is that although my .pst file came over fine, and all the email settings, folders, cal...

Sorting Worksheets #2
Hi.. is it possible to sort worksheets alphabetically? I have a workbook containing 50 or so workbooks, and it would be good if I could sort them automatically many thanks How about a macro? Chip Pearson's: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm David McRitchie's: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm#sortallsheets pepperds wrote: > > Hi.. > > is it possible to sort worksheets alphabetically? I have a workbook > containing 50 or so workbooks, and it would be good if I could sort them > automatically > > many thanks -- Dave Peterson...

Frequent Contacts
Groupwise has a feature called "Frequent contacts". Frequent Contacts keeps track of all addresses that you frequently e-mail. It's an awesome feature. Is anyone aware of a similar feature in Outlook 2003. Thanks Jo Not really. You can manually add addresses to your Contacts by right clicking the address. For an automated solution, you'd need extra code... http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! ...

Business Contact Manager Office XP/Outlook 2002
Looking for a trial version or purchasable download of Microsoft Business Contact Manager for Office XP/Outlook 2002. Only identified this product in Beta Version for 2003 or Customer Manager for 2000. Please advise on location and if this software exists. Thank you, Scott It's not available for any product except Outlook 2003. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Scott" <scott@rapidpulse.com> wrote in message news:04d701c36368$50bbcf20$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Looking for a trial version or purchasable download of > M...

How do I sort dates by month rather than by year?
I pulled a birthdates query out of our data base and when I sort the worksheet it sorts by the year. I am a beginner with querys so I do not know how to change the format of the cells so that I can sort by month and day instead. t, a couple of answers here... http://makeashorterlink.com/?O17025ADB Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "terickson" <terickson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80D10838-1F0B-4020-983F-E584DBFA703D@microsoft.com I pulled a birthdates query out of our data base and when I sort the worksheet it sorts by the year. I am a beginner wi...

Entourage Contact Icons
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) What is the difference in the contact area between a little person icon next to a contact email or a blue dot? In a group list, I have some people with blue dots and some people with a little person. I cannot see anything special within these two emails to determine why they have different icons. Can you tell me why they are different? On 1/13/10 10:50 AM, in article 59bb0d68.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "sunshineone@officeformac.com" <sunshineone@officeformac.com> wrote: > What is the difference in the cont...

Sort Descending with IF and empty cells
I am trying to sort a column descending. The cells functions are =IF(J38=0,"",I38/J38). I want nothing to appear in the cell if the result is true, but this poses a problem when I run my macro for sorting descending. It puts my blank cells at the top. Is there a way to sort descending but have my blank cells all at the bottom? Any assistance would be appreciated. -- Mike Instead of returning "", you could return a large negative value, like -9999. You can apply conditional formatting such that if the cell contains -9999 the foreground co...

contact not listed in contacts
when i start typing in an email address in Outlook 2002, autofill comes up with three choices. two are in my contact list. the third (which is an incorrect address), when i right click properties, says it is not listed in contacts, however, it is being autofilled in Outlook 2002. how do i find and delete this email address. Also, there does not appear to be a name associated with this address, just the email address. is there a place where addresses are listed that don't have names attached to them? When that address appears in the drop-down, cursor down to it so it's h...

Contact disappears after added and saved
If I enter a contact with no email address, but does have a home address or phone number, after I save a close the contact it does not appear in my Contact List. Additionally, I 'search' for it using the find option, the contact is nowhere to be found. However, if I try and enter it again, Outlook indicates it's a duplicate entery. Where are my contacts disappearing to? What do you mean by "Contact List?" Where are these Contacts not appearing that you think they should? Contacts without electronic addresses would not be expected to appear in the addres...

Right Contacts details
If I put in an address that outlook can't find in my contacts, it goes 'Check Names' (it says the contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened) to what I assume is the Windows Address Book. However the first one it tries to open has nothing in it. If I cgo to the drop down box, and select the second one it works fine... how do I get it to open the proper one? rfc Open the Address Book. Tools > Options > Show this address list first Remove the invalid reference to a Contacts Folder here: Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing di...

Sorting #47
Sorting issue I have a column "c1" that is a name list and am trying to get "C2" to sort alphabeticaly by "c1." I also need "c3" and "c4" to follow the same as "c2". Any suggestions would help greatly. Thank you Jeremy C1 C2 C3 C4 Capital Body Shop Capital Body Shop 37.05 37.05 Cars For Less Cash Sale Cash Sale 3,143.66 0 Central Auto Chico's Cleburne RV Cleburne RV 1,982.77 121.89 Hi J...