Contact data merge from Excel into Outlook

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some guidance with regard
to merging data from Excel into Outlook. I have an Excel
spreadsheet with about 19,000 contacts: names, addresses,
phone numbers, etc... I'm trying to merge them into an
Outlook "contact file". So far, I think I figured out how
to "name the ranges" by selecting the entire worksheet
including the labels at the top of each column and then
using insert, create, names, and "top". I then save the
file and close it. Next I go to Outlook, import, I select
the file and folder and begin. The merge starts, gets
through the first names and goes into merging the last
name. Then I get the "Outlook has encountered a problem
and needs to close..." error message. I sent the error
off to MS.

Is the file I'm trying to import maybe too big or
something???

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Lar
0
anonymous (74721)

A good troubleshooting scheme would be to use a smaller range to test the
import. If that doesn't work, then try changing the columns being imported.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if I could get some guidance with regard
> to merging data from Excel into Outlook. I have an Excel
> spreadsheet with about 19,000 contacts: names, addresses,
> phone numbers, etc... I'm trying to merge them into an
> Outlook "contact file". So far, I think I figured out how
> to "name the ranges" by selecting the entire worksheet
> including the labels at the top of each column and then
> using insert, create, names, and "top". I then save the
> file and close it. Next I go to Outlook, import, I select
> the file and folder and begin. The merge starts, gets
> through the first names and goes into merging the last
> name. Then I get the "Outlook has encountered a problem
> and needs to close..." error message. I sent the error
> off to MS.
>
> Is the file I'm trying to import maybe too big or
> something???
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!!!
>
> Lar

0
suemvp (4038)

After closing, Outlook remains in task bar, How did get rid of it
I have 4 profiles on my outlook. two weeks ago, whenever the first person logged on after a shutdown, an icon appears in the task bar. When outlook is subsequently closed, the icon remains. Any further attempt to open outlook, opens to the profile that was last opened. It should open to a window that allows a different profile to open outlook. Now the only way to switch profiles is to shutdown and reopen outlook. That profile is then the only one that can be opened until shutdown. Can anyone help!! You have a 3rd party application installed that is keeping Outlook open at ...

Displaying a GIF from a URL in Excel
Point your browser at http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR You'll get a nice little 1 by 2 inch stock chart for AMR. The chart is actually a GIF. I want to set up a cell or cells in a spreadsheet so they fetch this chart from the web and display it. I've tried to make a Web Query do this. I fail, because it displays only a little gibberish, presumably because it does not understand that the URL result data is a GIF to be shown graphically. As far as I can tell, Web Queries are just not intended to do this. They are intended to scrape tabular data from URL's, not graphics. Is this cor...

Outlook compatibility with older Office versions
Our environment consists of Lotus Notes, Office 2000, and Windows 2000 with some XP. We would like to move to Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007. We don't want to tie the migration to workstation OS or Office upgrades. Will Outlook work on the same machine as Office 2000? WIndows 2000? It will work on the same machine as Office 2000 but it requires Windows XP SP2 or later for the OS. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com "GAZ" <gregzook@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1187417988.013915.126510@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Great Plains POP10390 distribution data gets deleted when posting a batch
Hi, We are using GP version 10.1...Since last week, we started to lose the GL distribution on POP transaction (invoice matching)...it seems that the records of the POP10390 file get 'flushed' randomly... Today we had an occurence where a posting report got 'stucked' at 50% of progress on the screen of a user...we waited more than 1/2 an hour and the batch never end posting...it did also create a situation where other users could not post either...(just like there was a lock on the file...where the record got flushed.... Any clues...we can't believe that it never ha...

Millions of contacts in CRM
Hi, I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to number of users not record number... I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just turning off replication i...

Data tags problem
I have an issue with a user I have just upgraded to Office 2003 and any help would be appreciated. The issue is with a spreadhseet containing a graph. The graph consists of 5 datapoints, the last of which is a total figure and does not have a colour bar i.e. only shows figures. However, on several of the graphs this figure is either hidden or blank and does not even print out. It appears to be totally random and occasionaly there is an additional problem whereby some of the bars just show the outline and not the colour infill. Any ideas please????? Tim Its ok,calm down everyone,i fix...

Excel 2003 will not open html file correctly
I can not get Excel 2003 to load the following website properly. It works in Excel 97 and Excel 2000. http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Fund/PrintReport.asp?Country=USA&Symbol=VTRIX&PN=FEES ...

Contacts work for Accounts not contacts
Is there a way to limit the Parent Customer field on the Contact form so that it only allows Accounts to be chosen? We don't want the capability to allow Contacts to have Sub-Contacts - but it does not seem possible to hide the Sub-Contacts item in the contacts form left hand menu. Helen; Could you create a new custom entity [Companies or something like that] to use instead of Accounts? then create a relationship between Companies and Contacts and have the lookup on the contact form be to the Companies object, rather than Accounts (remove the parent account lookup field from the ...

Import Contact as AD contacts
Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in AD and enter all detail I want to import the current details I already have in the Public Folder as contacts thanks Mike On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:31:44 +0200, "Michael Greeff" <mikeg452@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts >in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in >AD and enter all detail I want to import the current de...

are excel 2003 and xp the same
I'm looking at online and evening classes for excel. Some of them mention Excel XP is required software to take the course. I have Excel 2003 installed on my home computer. Is 2003 considered the same as XP? Excel 2003 is newer than Excel xp, so anything you learn on xp you can use on 2003. The differences are minimal. I see no problem in taking a course on xp, while using 2003. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:122ts9qo5sds285@corp.supernews.com... > I'm looking at online and evening classes for excel...

selecting chart data range using arrow keys
Hello, In the past I have been able to select the data range (ie source data) for a chart by (a) clicking on the little square button at the far right end of the source range, which brings me to the spreadsheet; and (b) then using arrow keys to move around and SHIFT select data. OK, I can still do this. But the rub is this: I used to be able to CTRL-arrow around to select ranges, which is very handy in big spreadsheets, since it can bring you to the next full cell (like using the Scout (#9) in Stratego). But now I can't CTRL-arrow around anymore to select chart data, leaving me...

Let's exchange contact info #3
Hi, Goran Thisell here, how are you? I am putting together a contact list of individuals interested in sharing resources and business information. If you are interested in connecting please send your Name and information to: mailto:coghem@telia.com?subject=BUSINESS_CONTACT_NG I will follow up as soon as I get your email. It's not an autoresponder so it might not be right away. I appreciate your patience. I look forward to meeting you. Regards, Goran Thisell coghem@telia.com --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040306105317O0d3ZyV4 ...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Excel XML Time format & arithmetic
Hi all, I have an Excel Xml file and I want to perform a Sum operation with time format cells. If I set [h]:mm format to the cells ¡, I can see the next right values: 8:25 8:30 25:25 42:20 (SUM) When I save the file as Excel XML 2003, I have this: <Styles> <Style ss:ID="s64"> <NumberFormat ss:Format="[h]:mm"/> </Style> </Styles> <Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0"> <Cell ss:Index="2" ss:StyleID="s64"><Data ss:Type="DateTime">1899-12-31T08:25:00.000</Data></Ce...

How can I get Outlook to connect to Novell?
I have a old Novell NetWare server. Probably about 10 - 15 years old. I don't know much about Novell. I have the client installed on the network properties. I can get to the Novell shares. I just don't know how to get the email out. They use GroupWise and are moving to Outlook 2003. I don't know how to connect Outlook 2003 to the GroupWise mail server. It doesn't use IP Addresses does it? It has an IPX number, but I'm not sure what to do. Any guidance is appreciated. See if the info here helps: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/enterprise.htm#groupwise &l...

OWA
Hi, When my clients create new contacts on their email accounts through OWA why is it they have type the persons name into the search window when they want to add a person or persons to their "to:" field in the message? Why doesn't their contacts show up in the bottom window so they can select one or more? Also when they create Distribution Lists via OWA they are not able to view the lists under Contacts like you can when you are using MS Outlook 2003, also the list doesn't show up when you search for it when creating a new message?? Why is that? Are there work aroun...

Contacts view options
A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find it on search, mind you)... My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way around? Many thanks. Trent SC wrote: > A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find > it on search, mind you)... > > My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last > Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way > around? > Many thanks. Top ...

how to make text bold in excel using a formula?
How can convert text to bold wihtout using a formula. I dont want to click Bold button, would rather do it using a formula. The main problem is we are importing data to excel file from a text file with a delimiter. We need the first row to be bold. How can we achieve bold thing without manual modification. Hi use 'Format - Conditional Format' for this "Raja Vadlamudi" wrote: > How can convert text to bold wihtout using a formula. I dont want to click > Bold button, would rather do it using a formula. > The main problem is we are importing data to excel file fr...

same data
Hello, I'm using a CList in order to hold structure into a list. When I need to read the very next node (next structure within the list) I see pointer value changes but l I still see same information in previous node or stucture. Any suggestions? Thanks, Smith ...

Add contact to group of appointments
Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Robert Bendett;144399 Wrote: > Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in > a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. > Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Each needs done individually. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com) 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-t...

data entry form #6
I have a template with drop down fields and other data validation. What I need now is when this form is used, to write the selections and other information inputed to a excel data list. How do I do this? -- Tess ...

Exchange + outlook VS Lotus notes
Hi everybody, I am currently working with an organization which is checking two options for calendar based applications. On this project i'm trying to help the organization decide on whether to choose each of the alternatives where on the Lotus notes, the organization has its own people who are running proof of concepts and so on, and i am running the exchange and outlook application based proof of concepts. Its an organization which has about 2500 clients... As for now i must say, that exchange and outlook appear to be a VERY VERY hard to handle environment. One of the POC processes a...

Macro Not Loading XLSART excel
I have created a macro and placed into the xlstart folder and the macro will load at first. At some point, the macro stops loading, yet the macro is still in the xlstart folder. Any thoughts? S Macros don't load from the XLSTART folder. Workbooks load from the XLSTART folder. The macro must be in workbook. Is your macro stored in a file named Personal.xls or in another workbook? Is the macro in a general module or Thisworkbook module or Worksheet module. Show us your macro code. More information please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:05:49 -0700, "S Crowel...

chart data #2
I have a spreadsheet set up that updates the information every month over a 12 month period. The data i have for example is Actual Profile Jan 77723 77723 Feb 75319 67582 Mar 72047 73469 Apr 69557 81048 May 76672 88563 Jun 65068 77750 Jul 63819 79528 Aug 71079 90357 Sep 65793 85348 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Obviously i have not received the data for the last three months yet but i need to keep the formulas in to automatically update the information. I want to select all of the information in this area but not show zeros on my chart. This chart will then update every month as the...

Location of Outlook name cache?
Using Outlook 2002 on Windows 2000 SP4 desktop and Exchange 2000 Server; trying to find the location of the Outlook name cache on the local harddrive. Auto-complete brings up names and addresses that are not listed in any address books or contacts; I would like to be able to access these addresses and add them to my contacts (I know how to add a result to contacts after auto-complete brings it up, but I would like to access the name cache directly). Any help appreciated! Thanks, Gary Swearengin You can find it by searching for *.NK2 But you can't access it. -- Russ Valentine ...