computer freeze on deleting message

System: Dell Optiplex GX270, Windows XP SP2, Office 2000 SP3, Outlook in
POP3 mode.

Problem: Open Outlook, try to delete messages from Inbox or any other
folder - sometimes it works, and sometimes the screen goes black and I have
to power off and on. No Windows blue screen, nothing in the logs, just a
black screen.

Tried: reinstalled XP SP2 (Dell's suggestion), ran Office repair, ran
chkdsk, virus scan, spyware scan. Computer passes all tests on Dell
diagnostic CD - no memory or HD errors. Created new Outlook account with
different user and it happens there, too.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

--Matt B.

0
mbartle (2)

One thing you didn't mention running is ScanPST.EXE. Have you run it and
checked the status of your PST file? The PST should be in the C:\Documents
and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
directory (by default).

"Matt Bartle" <mbartle@nospam.lumsdencpa.com> wrote in message
> System: Dell Optiplex GX270, Windows XP SP2, Office 2000 SP3, Outlook in
> POP3 mode.
>
> Problem: Open Outlook, try to delete messages from Inbox or any other
> folder - sometimes it works, and sometimes the screen goes black and I
> have to power off and on. No Windows blue screen, nothing in the logs,
> just a black screen.
>
> Tried: reinstalled XP SP2 (Dell's suggestion), ran Office repair, ran
> chkdsk, virus scan, spyware scan. Computer passes all tests on Dell
> diagnostic CD - no memory or HD errors. Created new Outlook account with
> different user and it happens there, too.
>
> Any other suggestions??

0
vince8328 (2732)
9/27/2005 5:24:15 PM
I should have mentioned that - I did run scanpst (no problems), and also got
the same result with a completely new .pst file.

--Matt

0
mbartle (2)
9/27/2005 5:34:43 PM
Damn, persistent issue isn't it. Let me see if I (or someone else that
wanders through here) can come up with something.

>I should have mentioned that - I did run scanpst (no problems), and also
>got the same result with a completely new .pst file.

0
vince8328 (2732)

kindly, before I crash this computer against the wall..
....does someone know why when I write this declaration: dim idx as Index (or even DAO.Index) it changes into: dim idx as index (or DAO.index) ....and obviously it screams errors if I run the code. References seem fine. As a guess, you have defined index somewhere in your database. I am surprised however that Dim idx as DAO.INDEX does not overcome the problem. Does this happen in just one database or in any database you have? If just one, you might try to decompile and then compile your VBA code and see if that helps. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010 Th...

Mac Word freezes Computer my computer
I have recntly purchased an apple Macbook intel core Duo notebook running Tiger and MS office for mac version 2004 for students. both have been fully updated off of the web. When I load a word doc file off of my USB stick all's well until I try to then save a file; when quite often, the coloured circle appears forever, when word on the tool bay is touched it indicates that " word is not responding" when I try to force quit this some times works BUT then finder will not work and will not reset, so the only way to regain control of the computer is to hold down the "on/off key&...

I keep having to force quit MS Word It also Freezes screen often
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I keep having to force quit MS Word. It won't quit when I hit quit. It also seems to Freeze the screen often and I have to restart. Help? Without having so much as an indication what version of Office you're using it's impossible to suggest anything other than the fundamentals; 1- Make sure your version of Office is fully updated, 2- Make sure OS X is fully updated, 3- Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions, 4- Restart your Mac. If you continue to have a problem reply here with version specific in...

How to Use One PST file on Two Computers?
Hello: I have a desktop machine with a pst file in my Outlook 2003. I would like to copy this pst file to my laptop. How do I synchronize the same file on 2 machines so I won't get duplicate e-mails? I use one premium Yahoo e-mail account and several free Yahoo accounts with YahooPOPs.. Thanks in advance, Spudy Hi Spudy, it is not possible by default to share PST files. A list of a list of third-party synctools are also on this site: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm On the Microsoft Office Marketplace site is a list of third-party messaging tools: http://office.microsoft.com...

How to delete unnesessary files of exchange
Hi i know that the most of transaction file are not important although each file book 5 MB , thats big hedec to the system so please for any body know how to manage this issue in a safe way i'll appreciate Maged N. Roshdy Perform a full backup with an Exchange aware backup program. If the backup completes successfully, the log files that have been committed will be removed. (ntbackup.exe is an exchange aware backup program) "Maged N. Roshdy" <MagedNRoshdy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE3CD727-EF08-48AE-81A3-C42133AE642E@microsoft.com... > ...

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Generic message
Hi everybody, I would like to know how modify the genec error message ...

"Action canceled" message when clicking on a link in HTML email

Restoring computer
I would like to restore my computer from the day I got it. Does anyone know how to do this? I am fed up its all screwy and I think this will fix all our cont. problems Depends on what OS you are running. You can always reformat your hard drive. But save anything that you want to keep first. ALso on xp you can do a restore. but it only goes back so far. Still save important files because it will erase them. "high5me" <high5me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23ep9TO0hFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I would like to restore my computer from the day I got it. ...

File In Use
I am trying to open an excel program that is shared on a network drive. When I go to open it the following message box pops up.... File In Use name.xls is locked for editing by 'user name'. open by 'read only' or click 'notify' to open read-only and receive notification when the document is no longer in use. The user name that it is saying is me and I don't have the file open. Does anyone know why it is saying this or how to fix it? I guess it thinks I have the file open, maybe it didn't close right but I can't figure it out. Thanks Dave ma...

Troubleshooting Delete #2
Roady - I thought originally I had said I was trying to delete an old message from Outbox in Outlook. It will not delete and says that "mapi spooler" whatever and has originally begun transmitting. I have tried to put Outlook in offline work mode, it will still not delete. I have tried to move the message to another folder, but it will not move. Outlook would go back online by itself. So, then, I tried disconnecting the cable for the internet, restarted, and tried to delete again. No go. I browsed other discussions and saw that you had recommended using a shift delete. This a...

Unable to Open a backup file (Money 2004) on a new computer
Though I am computer savvy, MS Money is driving me crazy. Last year I have installed Money 2004 on my laptop and used it once a month to download transactions. Everytime I close money, I get a new file created on my hard disk with the name "My Money Backup ++.mbf", where + indicates a number. I always open the latest .mbf file to access the information. Now I have purchased a new laptop and installed Money 2004 on that as well. I have copied the latest .mbf file from my old laptop onto a diskette and tried to open it from the new laptop in vain. Whatever I do, I get stuc...

Deleting Unusual Recurrence of a scheduled item.
Hello, I have a strange problem. Somehow, I have an event that recurs every day until Dec 22 2005. I have no idea how this happened, but when I delete one, I don't get any message about deleting the series, meaning I have to delete this entry for each day from here to Dec 22 2005. The easy way is of course, to ignore the entry, but I would really like to clean it up. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks! Rick RWC <rcollens_SPAMONATOR_@hemmingway.com> wrote: > I have a strange problem. Somehow, I have an event that recurs every > day until Dec 22 2005. I have no ide...

how to delete alternate rows in a spreadsheet?
hello, i have a spreadsheet with about 60,000 data points in it, Excel will only let me plot 32,000 points! Is there a way/formular so i can delete everyother row? ie,so instead of having rows numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. I would end up with 1,3,5,7,9 and so on! This would give me around 30,000 points! Thanks, Simon. In a helper column put this: =MOD(ROW(),2) Autofilter the data and select the value that you want to delete and delete it. Then delete the helper column. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "SI" wrote: > hello, i have a spreadsheet with about 60,000 data ...

How can I delete the Junk Mail Folder
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C8AE17.DBF66CE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C8AE17.DBF66CE0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" = xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" = xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" = xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" = xmlns=3D&qu...

incoming masseges goes to delete folder
suddenly incoming or recevied messages directly goes in to Delete folder and I am reading them from delete folder not inbox folder, anyone has experiance that why incoming messages goes in to delete folder, I recently have Outlook 2007 and import all the mails and accounts from WLM or Windows Contacts folder after that WLM is not working properly, also not junk function is not working on toolbar thanks What kind of mail account is it? POP3, IMAP or HTTP? Is the folder called "Deleted Items" or "Junk" or something else? With an IMAP or HTTP account WLM mi...

CRM 4.0 Client Freezes Installed on Terminal Servers...How?
Hello All, Running W2k3, SP2 and Citrix. Installed the 4.0 Client. All seems like it is correct. The Cofigure dialogue shows up in the tite bar for all users. The wizard runs easily and quickly. THe Problem is that it does not run. Or it runs once or twice and then begins to freeze Outlook. IT always freezes at the same point, it loads the CRM Tool Bar and then sits with the Initializing Outlook Interface... Has anyone had success or some pointers in making this work? Thanks ...

Deleting information
Hi All HYCH Am looking for some assistance with the following, i use a form to enter details about individuals, this enters the info into a column at the end of the line and then sorts into alphabetical order. no problem with this, But, I would like to use a form to select an individual from anywhere in the range and delte their details, every name is range from D3:EU3 (Combo box initialises this ok) And the data is listed under each person down a column, is there someway to adjust the code below to allow this to work?? This section works fine!!! Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() Dim ...

Copying profiles from computer to computer
Hi there, does anyone know where I will find the folder where Outlook 2002 profiles are kept. My team hotdesk and I want to set up all their profiles on one machine then copy them over to each of the other machines rather than going through setting something like 35 profiles up on each. The machines are all windows 98 SE Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks Paul "Paul" <paulmckinlay@nospam_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:12cb701c4434c$2702d8d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Any help would be gratefully received. > Thanks > Paul The profile informati...

Switching Outlook Contacts to Apple computer
I have been unable to find away to import my Outlook contacts and calender information to a Apple/Mac Powerbook G4 using the OS X platform. Can anyone give me some suggestions.I have Entourage X as email. Thanks, Not sure about how to deal with your calendar information, but you can export your Outlook contacts to a spread sheed, then import them from the spread sheet to you apple application. -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond "Brent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017b01c3c58f$b297bdb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have been unable to find a...

VALUE error message
I would like I5 to equal F5+G5-h5. I get a value error message. one or more of the cells F5,G5 or H5 probably have text in them, either a number entered/pasted as text, or a "blank" made by pressing the space bar (and inserting a space character). For the first problem, copy an empty cell, select F5:H5 and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values and Add radio buttons, then click OK. This will coerce any "text" numbers to real numbers. For the latter, use the del key or Edit/Clear/Contents rather than the spacebar to clear the cell. Note that SUM(F5:G5,-H5...

How to share Outlook 2003 with 3 computers (peer to peer)
How to I share my Outlook folders, calendar, contacts, tasks, notes? NO Exchange Server! ( I am peer to peer with 3 computers in my office) help! David Create a Personal Folders file on a drive/share that all 3 computer have access to. This PST file can be opened via the File > Open > Outlook data file on each machine. Now for the bad news, Outlook opens the file for exclusive access. Therefore when Machine A has Outlook running, Machines B/C cannot open/work with this shared personal folders file. By the way, there are 3rd party solutions that let multiple machines share t...

transferring e-mails between computers
Can anyone tell me how to copy/transfer my e-mails from one computer to another without risking over-writing all of the e-mails on the new computer. The old e-mails are on Outlook Express 5. Thanks very much. >-----Original Message----- >Can anyone tell me how to copy/transfer my e-mails from >one computer to another without risking over-writing all >of the e-mails on the new computer. The old e-mails are >on Outlook Express 5. > >Thanks very much. >. >If you are keeping your e-mails on the server you don't have to do anything. However, if you are keepi...

Deleted pst
I configured my outlook at home with several pst files for main from different accounts and along the way I must have deleted the original pst file. I did not realize this was done and in the mean time had cleared items from the recycle and I do a DOD type wipe of free space after a reorg the files. Now Outlook has this personal folder and I get an error the object not found. Know any tricks to get this personal folder removed from the outlook view? Is there a reg hack? Thank you Dan Daniel Gard wrote: > I configured my outlook at home with several pst files for main from > diffe...

Close Cash Drawer message after each transaction
Hi, For my credit card transactions, I have the "pop cash drawer" option NOT checked, so it should not open the cash drawer for those particular tender types. However, after every transaction, RMS 2.0 tells me that it is waiting for the cash drawer to close. I would have to open the cash drawer and manually close it, then the message would go away. Is this an RMS or cash drawer issue? I'm using the Valu-Line cash drawer. Thanks, MB This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01BF_01C8261C.296EB4C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8&qu...