Complete uninstall

How do you do a 100% uninstall of Outlook, so that it can be reinstalled
cleanly?

My copy of Outlook has gotten corrupted (vague "unknown error" messages
whenever I try to do nearly anything), and I haven't been able to fix it. I
want to reinstall the program, so I I removed it using the Office Installer
update feature, then rebooted and reinstalled, using the same feature. No
luck--the reinstallation had the same problems.

Next, I completely uninstalled Office, rebooted and reinstalled. Same
result--I've still got the same problems in Outlook.

Now, I realize the problem may lie in system files, and not with Office at
all. But before I wipe the machine and reinstall, I thought I'd check here
and see if I'm missing something on the uninstall.

Is there anyhting I can do on an uninstall that does a more complete job
than what I've already done? Thanks.

A complete uninstall is usually a pretty drastic way to correct an Outlook
problem. Are there any error messages and/or numbers other than unknown
error? What is the exact text of the error message? What version of Outlook
do you use? Do you connect to an Exchange or POP3 server? Do you use a PST?
If you do, what size is it?

--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"David Veeneman" wrote:

> How do you do a 100% uninstall of Outlook, so that it can be reinstalled
> cleanly?
>
> My copy of Outlook has gotten corrupted (vague "unknown error" messages
> whenever I try to do nearly anything), and I haven't been able to fix it. I
> want to reinstall the program, so I I removed it using the Office Installer
> update feature, then rebooted and reinstalled, using the same feature. No
> luck--the reinstallation had the same problems.
>
> Next, I completely uninstalled Office, rebooted and reinstalled. Same
> result--I've still got the same problems in Outlook.
>
> Now, I realize the problem may lie in system files, and not with Office at
> all. But before I wipe the machine and reinstall, I thought I'd check here
> and see if I'm missing something on the uninstall.
>
> Is there anyhting I can do on an uninstall that does a more complete job
> than what I've already done? Thanks.

0
KOrland1 (1012)
3/9/2007 3:11:25 PM
Thanks for the offer, Kathleen! I agree--a wipe is pretty drastic. The error
message was one of those "The meessaging interface has returned an unknown
error..." messages, and I couldn't find a fix doing a Google search.

Fortunately, a System Restore took care of the problem, which I think was
caused by the new Google Desktop beta. Hopefully, the next person with the
problem will come across this message and try the System Restore before
nuking their computer.

CFileDialog -- auto completion issue
I'm using an extended CFileDialog (provides Win2k dialog support) and all is working fine, but I had one minor tweak question. If I have the files: c:\temp\test.xml c:\temp\test.txt And I specify that the dialog is only looking for .xml files, when a user types into the file name field "test", the auto-complete dropdown lists suggests both possibilities. I'd like for it only to suggest the .xml file since that's what the dialog's filter is set to. This works in Office 2000, but with any other app that uses the dialog, you'll get the multiple "incorrect&quo...

Auto Complete
I have a user that has the auto complete flag set but when he restarts his machine he has to start all over. Nothing is retained from the day before. I've looked everywhere I know to look. Any ideas? Steve You have? Search this group then. This problem has been posted countless times. It usually means a corrupt Outlook profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "GSP@DCS" <info@dcs.com> wrote in message news:2d836$45184a6c$d1a8fa82$5760@EDELTACOM.COM... >I have a user that has the auto complete flag set but when he restarts his >machine he has to start all ove...

Completely Stumped
Some kind souls help is requested to make my worksheet more user friendly: 1) When data is filled in across cell range B14 � R14 and I then press �enter�.... a new row is automatically inserted either above or below. 2) The new row would retain the formulas in the cells just copied, but none of the calculations or text. I am using using the following code: Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) Dim lastrow As Long lastrow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row Rows(lastrow).AutoFill Rows(lastrow).Resize(2), xlFillDefault Rows...

Auto Complete Category
Hi All. I'm having an issue with Money Plus. When I download my statement, the information that come is: MEMO (i believe this should be the payee and it is going to the wrong place) date and amount. As the information is saved as MEMO and not PAyee, Money doesn't learn to auto complete thye categories according to previous transactions. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? In microsoft.public.money, Mozinha wrote: >Hi All. I'm having an issue with Money Plus. When I download my >statement, the information that come is: MEMO (i believe this should >be the payee and i...

Uninstall Mendeley completely
Dear Folks, I have accidentally installed Mendeley, which turned out to be a big mistake. I uninstalled it several times after closing all other programs, but now it still appears as "Add-Ins" in office 2007 (including word, excel, etc). It also interferes with Endnote x2. This is a huge problem for me now and please help. -CW -- restlessHK ------------------------------------------------------------------------ restlessHK's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/162019.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1279777.htm ht...

RE: Understanding Project's Percent Complete vs. Percent Work Complete
Brian Kennemer wrote the subject-line article several years ago and was very informative/enlightening on how % Complete is computed, etc. However, in this article he showed a Microsoft Project view (Figure A) that had both "Work" and "Actual Work" rows in the detail lines for each resources on a specific task. Where can I find this view. I do need to enter actual hours worked per resource per day on their respective task thanks, David Hamil MaxVision 256-652-4322 David@MaxVision.com Perhaps what you seek is on the resource view or task usage view. Bot...

Auto Complete list has been deleted somehow anyone know how to fix??
I have hundreds of emails in auto complete and today when I tried to use it they were all gone. This happened to me about 3 years ago and I never was able to find out why. Can anyone help me please.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com mike long wrote: > I have hundreds of emails in auto complete and today when I tried to ... <gatewayed post was truncated to illustrate lack of proper line wrap> The autocomplete cache is in the nickname file (.nk2). Do you still have a ..nk2 file? If it is gone or corrupted, restore it from your backups. http://support.mi...

Excel won't completely open
When I click on an Excel document it will start to open but stops at a grey screen. Only a few toolbar commands are selectable, all others are grey and not accesible. I need to go to file to open the correct document. This is frustating as I have several document in Excel and this is also confusing when I email it to someone else. Please help if you think you can. Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel 1. Close Excel first and 2. On the Windows...

Cannot uninstall generic drive from device manager
In trying to download photos from my FUJI camera via USB2, I did not get the small window that usually presents options upon turning the camera on, on what to do, eg. use Explorer, use Windows Media Player, etc. Upon investigation I found that in Device manager under STORAGE VOLUMES, there was a yellow exclamation point on the Generic Volume for FUJIFILM USB DRIVEUNIT USB. I then used the trouble shooting instructions and got to the point it says to uninstall the driver. When I do that the Confirm Device Removal small window comes up, I click OK a small hour glass appears ...

2007 Structured Reference auto-completion not working completely?
In Excel 2007, when I: 1) Select a cell 2) Type "=" in the formula bar 3) Click a cell in a Table I thought Excel would add a Structured Reference to the formula. Instead, it just inserts an old-style, "A1" reference. The "Formula AutoComplete" and "Use table names in formulas" options are both turned on. When I click the cell in step 3, the TableTools tab appears so Excel agrees that the cell is in a Table. Isn't Excel supposed to insert a Structured Reference when you click a cell in a Table? Is there another setup/configuration switc...

uninstalling
I have a windows vista to windows 7 upgrade disc. When i try and install it wont install stating windows mail is incompatible. I cant find a way to uninstall it. Can anyone help before I start crawling up the walls and banging my head against it. Windows 7 does not have a few programs that came with Vista. An email client is one of them - you can download and install Windows Live Mail. Or MS Outlook, which you have to purchase. Also you have the choice a non-MS client. http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview watcheroftheskies;1613667 Wrote: > I have a windows vis...

Forms completion
Here is a question for you, we have a pretty simple database to gather comments and suggestions from users for improvement on things around our office, It is a form entry, a suggestion that was given is when users want to enter multiple suggestions they are having to re-enter the header section of the form (Basics of name and contact information) repeatedly, is there a code or work around where that will replicate for the user if they click the add new record after they enter the first entry? Are you storing this information in every row of the table? The way it should work is, when the...

inbox repair tool fails to complete
hi, I've been having problems with my newish laptop XP & Office 2003 ST edition. Tried to run inbox repair tool on the .pst. I get the message that says internal errors were found, and I selected the box for a backup file to be created, but the process hangs on the repair. I tried twice, and can verify the .bak file is there and the same size as the .pst, but the repair won't complete. Using the Task Manager indicates the process is not responding. Happened twice in a row. Any thoughts? Thanks, Carmen Greta Grip <misscarmengetit@hotnospammail.com> wrote: >...

Windows update is not completely successful Error Code: 0x64C
Cannot find a solution anywhere. No such error code in any of the help screens. It is now showing Error Code: 0x8007064C. Still cannot find this discussed anywhere. "John with RadioWorks" wrote: > Cannot find a solution anywhere. No such error code in any of the help screens. "John with RadioWorks" <JohnwithRadioWorks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:016D3C6E-B2BE-49CC-8678-580B6E169903@microsoft.com... > It is now showing Error Code: 0x8007064C. Still cannot find this discussed > anywhere. > > "John with RadioWo...

100% complete without adjusting actual hours?
I’m attempting to “close out” project plans. Is there a way to mark all the tasks 100% complete without the Actual hours adjusting? Basically, I want to close the tasks based on the actual hours currently attached to them. I’m trying to avoid having to go to each individual task, recalculating, and saving… Please advise. Thanks MK "MK" wrote: > I’m attempting to “close out” project plans. Is there a way to mark all the > tasks 100% complete without the Actual hours adjusting? Try changing Remaining Work to 0. James Fraser ...

Cannot uninstall trial version of Money
A few weeks ago I downloaded the trial version of Money to see if I would prefer it to Quicken. I gave Money the edge and decided to buy Money 2004 but I didn't want to download it. I put the CD in the computer and it gave me a message that Money was already installed on my computer and I needed to uninstall before it would load - no options. But there is no uninstall program on my downloaded trial version. Did I waste my Money!?!? In microsoft.public.money, Ralph wrote: >A few weeks ago I downloaded the trial version of Money to >see if I would prefer it to Quicken. I gave ...

Auto Complete not completing
Hi. I have an Excel document at work containing some drop down menus. I like the Auto Complete feature that Excel uses and it has been working beautifully except for this one column in my worksheet. For some reason it has stopped auto completing and I am forced to either use the drop down menu or type the whole thing in. :S I have no spaces between rows, and I have made sure the Auto Complete feature is switched on in the Options menu. It is working on my other columns (regardless of whether they contain drop down menus or not). Any ideas? Thanks so much. Maybe you haven't type...

Way to look at % complete of predecessors 03-10-10
Hello I would like to find out what is the most efficient way to check the status of the predecessors of any tasks in the plan I have a plan with a large number of tasks and for instance task 540, has 10 predecessors each at different stages of completion scattered throughout the plan. Currently if I want to know how each predecessor is progressing I need to locate the predecessor manually, and I would be grateful for some advice on how to do this more efficiently Many thanks J Use a flag field (Flag1), flag the tasks you are interested in (540 and all of its predecess...

Money 2005 download not completing.
I just purchased Money2005 and downloaded from Microsoft. When trying to start the program the budget and reports sections will not finish downloading from the web. Anyone else have this problem? I am having the exact same problem. Think it may have something to do with Passport authentication. Notice I'm always in 'Offline' mode (File_Work Offline). "citeaux63" wrote: > I just purchased Money2005 and downloaded from Microsoft. When trying to > start the program the budget and reports sections will not finish downloading > from the web. Anyone else hav...

Report last activity completed, next activity(ies) not completed
Hi everyone! Thank you in advance for at least taking a look at this. CRM has been a great product to use so far but I've run into some difficulty building a report to give the account, last activity completed, and next (highest priority and date created) activity to be worked on. I have all the SQL structure and process figured out to sort the values but I can't for the life of me figure out how activities are related back to an account (or contact, lead, email recpt...ect.) so if anyone could point me in the direction of how to link an activity to an account in the SQL Repor...

Uninstall a mouse driver?
My daughter's Acer laptop seems to have a touchpad that is erratic. When she's typing, she always has to watch the monitor, because the cursor will just jump anywhere without any warning. I'm assuming it's because there is something wrong with the touchpad. I've used her computer a few times, and I want to drop-kick it. She's fine with using a USB mouse, but I'm sure how to disconnect the touchpad. If we uninstall the pointer device, will that mess anything up? Is it easy to undo, if we do? When I get ready to uninstall, it asks me to confirm t...

viewing complete headers
Anyone know how to get Outlook to display a message's complete header Assuming that you are using Outlook 2000 or later, try right clicking on a message in your inbox and select options. The internet header is at the bottom of the dialog. "Debra" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14d3e01c3f994$8f883410$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to get Outlook to display a message's > complete header ...

Outlook 2003 Auto Complete
I have recently upgraded my desktop computer and didn't archive my .NK2 file. Is there any way to manually rebuild the NK2? Is the old profile available? IF so, you can copy it over. IF not, the cache will rebuild each time you send to someone new.... "jdc" <jdc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9410115A-6DE0-4730-95CA-74C0DBE00029@microsoft.com... >I have recently upgraded my desktop computer and didn't archive my .NK2 >file. > > Is there any way to manually rebuild the NK2? jdc <jdc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >...

Auto Complete
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How can I reset the data base of typed words and numbers in Excel? I would like to use the preference for Auto Complete, but I need to start over Sadly, there is no good way to reset the list globally, you have to dig the bad ones out, one by one. See the help topic "Change the name or contents of an AutoCorrect entry" Hope this helps On 24/03/10 2:47 AM, in article 59bb5c66.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "bandlc4@officeformac.com" <bandlc4@officeformac.com> wrote: > Ver...

Not enough system resources to display completely
I am using Office XP on win2000 prof. When i open an excel work book, it prompts "Not enough system resources to display completely". My system has 1GB ram and 2000MB virtual memory. My work book has some calculations & cell references from other workbooks also. I have gone through the article given by microsoft support "http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313275" with no luck. Please let me know, to fix this issue. Shanthi Hi Shanthi, Please note it is just my GUESS. It may occur because of the virus. But first of all, please display "Task manager",...