clicking on a link within an email?

Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always pops up
as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this?

Thanks,
John


0
johnjsal (10)
8/12/2004 2:21:28 AM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

8 Replies
478 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always
> pops up as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this?

I suspect the dialogue box is asking you to locate your Internet browser's
executable.  Put it's location in the th eproper field of the box and you
shouldn't have any trouble.  FOr example, MS Internet Explorer is usually
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplorer.exe
-- 
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/12/2004 2:47:24 PM
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uL76LtHgEHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always
> > pops up as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this?
>
> I suspect the dialogue box is asking you to locate your Internet browser's
> executable.  Put it's location in the th eproper field of the box and you
> shouldn't have any trouble.  FOr example, MS Internet Explorer is usually
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplorer.exe
> -- 
> Brian Tillman
>

Yes, that's exactly it. But even though this dialog box comes up, it still
opens up the link anyway (I use Firefox). Should I just put the link to
Firefox in there anyway and see if that gets rid of it?


0
johnjsal (10)
8/12/2004 8:38:25 PM
John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that's exactly it. But even though this dialog box comes up, it
> still opens up the link anyway (I use Firefox). Should I just put the
> link to Firefox in there anyway and see if that gets rid of it?

Can't hurt, I suppose.
-- 
Brian Tillman
0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/13/2004 1:47:19 PM
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uX5dRwTgEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's exactly it. But even though this dialog box comes up, it
> > still opens up the link anyway (I use Firefox). Should I just put the
> > link to Firefox in there anyway and see if that gets rid of it?
>
> Can't hurt, I suppose.
> -- 
> Brian Tillman

Well, doing that got rid of the dialog box, but now every link I click on
opens up twice, in two windows (or tabs)! Any suggestions to stop that?


0
johnjsal (10)
8/13/2004 7:51:32 PM
I had the same problem.  Try the registry fix at
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp.  Worked for me and
others.

Jerry


"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:411ad42b$0$174$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com...
> Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always pops
up
> as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this?
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
>


0
8/17/2004 3:17:32 PM
I'm not sure if this fix applies to me. I don't have problems when opening
links within Firefox, and this site you gave me says that opening external
links is a separate issue. And in my case, opening links from Outlook is
considered external links, right?



"Jerry" <linc007-NO_SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gkpUc.260598$2o2.15526203@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> I had the same problem.  Try the registry fix at
> http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp.  Worked for me
and
> others.
>
> Jerry
>
>
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:411ad42b$0$174$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com...
> > Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always
pops
> up
> > as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> >
>
>


0
johnjsal (10)
8/17/2004 7:03:08 PM
I had the problem that when I clicked on a link in Outlook, it opened
Firefox as it should but also opened a dialog box looking for an .exe file.
It was trying to find the location of the default browser...e.g. Firefox or
Explorer.  If you point the dialog box to the Firefox executable, it then
opened two instances of Firefox.  I found this tweak and applied it and it
works fine.

If the above is your problem, try the tweak.  Anyway, let me know.

Jerry


"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4122566e$0$167$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com...
> I'm not sure if this fix applies to me. I don't have problems when opening
> links within Firefox, and this site you gave me says that opening external
> links is a separate issue. And in my case, opening links from Outlook is
> considered external links, right?
>
>
>
> "Jerry" <linc007-NO_SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gkpUc.260598$2o2.15526203@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> > I had the same problem.  Try the registry fix at
> > http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp.  Worked for me
> and
> > others.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> >
> > "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:411ad42b$0$174$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com...
> > > Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always
> pops
> > up
> > > as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > John
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
8/18/2004 1:49:33 AM
Ok, thanks.


"Jerry" <linc007-NO_SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:NAyUc.175191$wH4.11380498@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> I had the problem that when I clicked on a link in Outlook, it opened
> Firefox as it should but also opened a dialog box looking for an .exe
file.
> It was trying to find the location of the default browser...e.g. Firefox
or
> Explorer.  If you point the dialog box to the Firefox executable, it then
> opened two instances of Firefox.  I found this tweak and applied it and it
> works fine.
>
> If the above is your problem, try the tweak.  Anyway, let me know.
>
> Jerry
>
>
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:4122566e$0$167$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com...
> > I'm not sure if this fix applies to me. I don't have problems when
opening
> > links within Firefox, and this site you gave me says that opening
external
> > links is a separate issue. And in my case, opening links from Outlook is
> > considered external links, right?
> >
> >
> >
> > "Jerry" <linc007-NO_SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:gkpUc.260598$2o2.15526203@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> > > I had the same problem.  Try the registry fix at
> > > http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp.  Worked for
me
> > and
> > > others.
> > >
> > > Jerry
> > >
> > >
> > > "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:411ad42b$0$174$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com...
> > > > Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always
> > pops
> > > up
> > > > as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > John
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
johnjsal (10)
8/18/2004 4:51:40 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

New ISP, no incoming emails....
Hi all, was up late last night VPN-ing into my network, and had to go to bed after failing to solve this... I hooked our work up with a new T1 yesterday... from the minute I did, we have gotten no emails incoming.... We use an exchange 5.5 SP6a server for our email on a NT4 machine (Please hold all your jokes and MS-doesnt-suppot-that-anymore comments haha) and a seperate server to relay and filter our emails running GFI mail essentials. I made all the new DNS and new IP address changes on my firewall, they configured my new router remotely, I changed all the info on my DHCP server and can ...

link to contact from report
Hello all, I have a report which output a list of contacts in CRM. How can I make this list usable? i.e when you click on a name on the list it takes you to the contact in CRM? I think its in the Jump to URL in the action elipsis, but i dont know how to write the code in the expression to link the name to the contact? Can anybody help? Regards Ian You need to right click on the report field and choose NAVIGATION tab on the PROPERTIES dialog. Then use the fx button to open the JUMP TO URL compose window and use an expression similar to this : =IIF(IsNothing(Parameters!CRM_URL.Value...

GP to CRM Integration Link
I guess this is the GP to CRM Integration. Microsoft has done a TERRIBLE job of making this known to customers! I haven't seen an announcement anywhere nor have I heard that it was going to be a free download instead of a separately purchased CD like it has been in the past. Just another failed attempt by Microsoft to do a quality job with their CRM product. https://mbs.microsoft.com/Cms/Templates/document/ProductReleases.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=/customersource/support/downloads/servicepacks/microsoft_crm_connector.htm?printpage=false&NRNODEGUID={15336C4F-F516-4...

How to distinguish right click from left click forNIN_BALLOONUSERC
Hi, In OnTrayIconNotify, my program process NIN_BALLOONUSERCLICK. According to msdn, NIN_BALLOONUSERCLICK was sent when the balloon is dismissed because of a mouse click. Is it possible to distinguish right mouse click from left mouse click for this message? I want my program to open a new window when user left click on the balloontip but pop up the context menu when user right click on the trayicon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Richard -- Nothing impossible, Nothing easy If you handle it fast enough you could just look at the state of the mouse button when you get the me...

Linking a one Presentation to Another Presentation
I have several presentations that are linked to my main presentation so when you click a link the secondary presentation opens up. My problem is that everytime I click a link that new presentation opens, which is good, but it doesn't close when I link back to the "home page". Is it possible to have a presentation close when you click the link back to the home page? This sounds like a PowerPoint question? On Mar 17, 8:49=A0am, ElizabethS <Elizabe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have several presentations that are linked to my main presentation so...

can't send email
Server SMTP.att.yahoo.com Protocal.SMTP Server response 421 Service not available Closing transmission Port 465 Secure SSL Yes Server error 421 Error# 0X800ccc0F This is a duplicate of your earlier post in the thread "Windows mail = will not send..errors". Please don't post the same issue in multiple threads. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Remer" <Remer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:25A2F60A-0F23-4611-8D64-53507166CB1C@microsoft.com... > Serv...

Count and Reset Button Clicks
Hello Experts. I have a Yahtzee game with 2 buttons/2 macros. One button (Roll Dice) rolls the dice (Calculate) and the second button (Next Player) clears all checkboxes on the sheet. However, I'd like to know if there's a way to disable the first button after it's been clicked 3 times, then re-enable it once the second button is clicked and start the count over... Please advise. I thank you for your time. We can use a Global variable to communicate between the two macros: Dim IAmTheCount As Integer Sub FirstButton() If IsEmpty(IAmTheCount) Then I...

email problem #3
when i receive new email from outlook 2003, it goes directly to deleted folder.....ty See if you are filtering your e-mail or if you have the spam protection/Junk mail on. If so turn it off. >-----Original Message----- >when i receive new email from outlook 2003, it goes >directly to deleted folder.....ty >. > ...

Linking Access data to live powerpoint presentation??
Hi I have an access database that I use for storing data. Is it possible to have data from a query displaying 'live' (ie refreshing in real time) in a powerpoint presentation? This powerpoint presentation would be running from another PC that is connected on the network. If so how would I do this? Thanks James On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 05:35:01 -0800, james <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I've never done this, but I would think yes. You can use Automation to "talk to" PP and manipulate the objects on a slide. If you did this on a timer tick, ...

Ooh .. Linking a list to a list to an output cell
I have a single cell in which i enter the price of a home. Elsewhere, I have two columns of ten items each: one column is formulated to give relative prices based on the price entered in the single cell, and the column adjacent to this column describes these numbers in nominal terms (i.e. ten items in increments of five percent: "25% more" .. " 0% change" .. "25% less"). Further along, I have a list box created which uses the nominal column at the Source for the list. I would like to have a cell adjacent to the list box cell which will give the price b...

Email goes to outbox When Sending An Email?
What Would Cause OutLook When Sending An Email TO Go To the "OUTBOX"? and not into the internet to recipient? Seems that when we send an email through our MSE 2K Small Business Server, the email goes to the OUTBOX So you're using Exchange, right? Are you using Internet Mail in Outlook, or is Exchange handling your Internet mail? If the latter, is your default virtual SMTP server started on the server, and is your server able to resolve Internet domains via DNS? JimB wrote: > What Would Cause OutLook When Sending An Email TO Go To > the "OUTBOX"? and not into ...

virus fragmenting emails
When I send an attachment Outlook send multiple copies of the email with i.e, (1/5), (2/5) after my subject. Anybody have any idea????? Christine <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I send an attachment Outlook send multiple copies of > the email with i.e, (1/5), (2/5) after my subject. Outlook (2002 C/W, 2002, and 2003, at any rate) does not have that capability. Perhaps you're referring to Outlook Express. If so, just disable the option. If not, perhaps you have a third-party tool doing it. -- Brian Tillman ...

Right mouse click not working
I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). Any suggestions - I am lost without it. Thanks, Rita See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Rita" <heidkampr@alyeska-pipeline.com> wrote in message news:0e8701c49c1d$cd1c5ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right > mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine > in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). > > Any suggestions - I am l...

Blank header added when sending email in Outlook
I've noticed that when I send emails a blank header (always 3 or 4 kb) is added. I did not know that until someone else mentioned it. Any ideas on why this is being added and how to stop it? Thanks, Dean "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC9590D1-B319-4C0E-B5F8-436BB7E9DCF0@microsoft.com... > I've noticed that when I send emails a blank header (always 3 or 4 kb) > is > added. I did not know that until someone else mentioned it. > > Any ideas on why this is being added and how to stop it? > > Thanks, > Dean ...

Move mailbox over 384k satellite link
Hi Has anyone experience moving mailboxes over a satelite link that connects the exchange org. Need to do this for 95 users about 800MB mailbox store....? Any experience out there with this type of setup....? Is Exmerge an option....? Please note this will involve exchange 5.5 -> exchange servers 2003 SP1, intersite mailbox move. Cheers Cam You will have better luck posting this to an Exchange group. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account...

scheduled send of report via email
What's the best way to send a report via email to a group at a given time each day (i.e. 5:30 am daily) --b ...

email filtering in Exch. 5.5
Can someone please tell me how to configure (and where to configure it from) email content filtering for Exchange 5.5. I need to block certain types of emails if possible. Thanks, ...

Creating a form that can be dragged from any click within the 'Detail' section
Hi all, I'm trying to create a dashboard and I want the form to be moveable, however I have removed the control box and I don't want the form to have a border (hence no title row that can be used to drag the form). How do I allow a click from either a control or the detail section to enable the form to be dragged? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Bob Phil I agree with your suggestions to stick with the standard Window UI. But if the OP really must have this interface it is possible using the Form's MouseMove etc. events. I and others have posted code how to do this ov...

email transferring from old computer to new computer
Is it possible to transfer outlook express emails from old computer to a new computer? Hi, Mark. Mark ha scritto: > Is it possible to transfer outlook express emails from > old computer to a new computer? This newsgroup is for Microsoft Outlook support (the one in Microsoft Office product). For questions about OutlookExpress, better to ask on dedicated newsgroups (have a look in Internet Explorer hierarchy because OE is part of IE package). So we are OT here. ...but I try to answer with a link to a backup program for OutlookExpress, created by MVPs David Guess and Steve Cochran: ht...

linking and formatting
I am able to link cells from worksheet to worksheet with the exception of the fomatting. I'm trying to create a master worksheet by updating specific individual worksheets. However I can't get the colors or comments to link. Please help. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ J, Linking yields the value from the linked cell, but not the formatting. If the formatting was applied via conditional formatting in the source cell, you could use the same...

EMail Activites
I have a salesperson who tracked her emails in the CRM Outlook client under the wrong Opportunity. Now she cannot re-associate them with the right Opportunity. The magnifying glass to the right is grayed out. What can be done to pull these out of the wrong opportunity and place them in the right one? Many thanks. There's another thread on this same issue, please see the thread "Import Old E-mails into CRM" news:826E1D54-5813-4151-9FFF-079668B8FD22@microsoft.com. -- Jason -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "B...

Why do hyperlinks stop working in Outlook 2000 emails?
Hyperlinks in the messages I receive no longer access their targets on the web. Clicking them fails to work as it used to. I suspect there is some configuration that has chnaged, but I'm aware of doing that and I have been unable find any solution. What happens when you try? Any error message? See if the following solves your issue; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/242 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Que...

Send email 09-21-07
Help me please, I can send email to systemuser, but recipient address isn't in emailaddress field, but in field mobilealertemail. How can I use it? Hi, Did not try this myself, but it might help you. You could try create a workflow on the crm server. When an e-mail activity is created, and the e-mail is sent to the system user (using the e-mail address you don't like), send a second email to the address in the mobilealertemail. Second suggestion: put the address in mobilealertemail in the first e-mail address... but this is probably not what you want. Best regards, Merijn van...

number format problem in linked chart
Hi I've got a chart which contains a link to information in other workbooks as part of a series. The number format is to one decimal place on each of the workbooks and provided they are all open the series shown in the chart are fine. When the other workbooks are closed the number formatting reverts to 9 decimal places. Is there any way to correct this? Thanks Kay - What if you format the number formats in the linked chart, overwriting the format in the source data? (The Linked to Source checkbox in the Format-Number dialog should be cleared.) - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Mi...

Double Click To Calculate
I have a field where I sometimes need to manually enter an amount but sometimes I need it to calculate an amount based on 2 other fields. I know this is not normalized data but this is how we need to run this particular field. I would like to setup the field to allow me to manually enter data most of the time, but then calculate when I double click. The calculation would be [totalpartsCost]/0.8. I just don't know how to create the code it in the event procedure. In the double click event of the textbox, add the code: me.[yourtextboxname]= [totalpartsCost]/0.8 This assumes totalpartsc...