Clicked a .prf. file and woosh - all gone! How do I get my old outlook settings back???

Help! I accidentally clicked on a file with a .prf extension (some
utility that keeps it preferences stored in such a file).

To my surprise this not only started Outlook but also triggered some
Outlook installation dialog. When I clicked that away I ended up with a
completely new and empty Outlook! At first I was flabberghasted, since
ALL my mails, my calendar entries, contacts, etc. EVERYTHING seemed
gone!

When I just doublechecked I saw, that this thing apparently created a
new Outlook1.pst file which seems to be used as the new default. It
seems that my old file "Outlook.pst" is still around, but how do I make
this the default again??? I can open the "old" Outlook file, but I can
not close the file that's initially opened, so how do I make Outlook.pst
my one and only again?

Michael

Choose Open from the File drop down menu, followed by Open Data File...

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> Help! I accidentally clicked on a file with a .prf extension (some utility
> that keeps it preferences stored in such a file).
>
> To my surprise this not only started Outlook but also triggered some
> Outlook installation dialog. When I clicked that away I ended up with a
> completely new and empty Outlook! At first I was flabberghasted, since ALL
> my mails, my calendar entries, contacts, etc. EVERYTHING seemed gone!
>
> When I just doublechecked I saw, that this thing apparently created a new
> Outlook1.pst file which seems to be used as the new default. It seems that
> my old file "Outlook.pst" is still around, but how do I make this the
> default again??? I can open the "old" Outlook file, but I can not close
> the file that's initially opened, so how do I make Outlook.pst my one and
> only again?
>
> Michael

0
Anthemwebs (309)
12/19/2007 1:51:16 AM
did it make a new profile or append to your current profile? look at the
profiles in control panel, mail.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> Help! I accidentally clicked on a file with a .prf extension (some utility
> that keeps it preferences stored in such a file).
>
> To my surprise this not only started Outlook but also triggered some
> Outlook installation dialog. When I clicked that away I ended up with a
> completely new and empty Outlook! At first I was flabberghasted, since ALL
> my mails, my calendar entries, contacts, etc. EVERYTHING seemed gone!
>
> When I just doublechecked I saw, that this thing apparently created a new
> Outlook1.pst file which seems to be used as the new default. It seems that
> my old file "Outlook.pst" is still around, but how do I make this the
> default again??? I can open the "old" Outlook file, but I can not close
> the file that's initially opened, so how do I make Outlook.pst my one and
> only again?
>
> Michael

0
outlookmvp (5838)

How to distinguish right click from left click forNIN_BALLOONUSERC
Hi, In OnTrayIconNotify, my program process NIN_BALLOONUSERCLICK. According to msdn, NIN_BALLOONUSERCLICK was sent when the balloon is dismissed because of a mouse click. Is it possible to distinguish right mouse click from left mouse click for this message? I want my program to open a new window when user left click on the balloontip but pop up the context menu when user right click on the trayicon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Richard -- Nothing impossible, Nothing easy If you handle it fast enough you could just look at the state of the mouse button when you get the me...

jpg files #3
When I try to open jpg files in Outlook (2003) I get a message Error Opening Database: 2000 The system cannot find the file specified. Sounds like the program that's trying to open the JPG has an issue. Do you happen to know what program that is? "CAZC" <CAZC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03B0686A-A9AB-4F8F-A1FC-2B545EF8735E@microsoft.com... > When I try to open jpg files in Outlook (2003) I get a message > Error Opening Database: 2000 > The system cannot find the file specified. I was in outlook 2003 "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]...

let user to use macro or vb to save file name
I have some problem about save the file by using filename and use login for example when user login and I will let he/she type his/her code an keep it in A1 like drive to save the file A: or D: USER NAME A1 --> PE1 file exel name --->PE101 and I want to use macro command or vb to save the file lik d:\PE1PE101.xls every time he/she uses the file. another example drive to save the file A: USER NAME A1 --> MA2 file exel name --->MA888 A:\MA2MA888.xls Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Outlook issue #5
Hi All, I am running Windows XP Pro on my PC and I am using Outlook Express to manage my Email Account.... Suddenly, my Outlook stopped working properly and I am receiving the following error message everytime I tried to send/receive my email and I failed to know how to fix this issue: ========================================= Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.mastechnology.net', Server: 'mail.mastechnology.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Sec...

How do I read Outlook mail that's in another language?
Take foreign language classes? "jparkx1" <jparkx1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14236015-2690-43C5-8C36-7CE9D4DE2FA5@microsoft.com... : "jparkx1" <jparkx1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14236015-2690-43C5-8C36-7CE9D4DE2FA5@microsoft.com... > > > Ask your correspondent to re-send it ...

Opening a text file
I have 390 MB data text file, i try to open this file with MS Excel only a part of the file was open. Please help me open this file with MS Excel or MS Access Thanks Khawaja anwar That is huge. Do you need all the data in one single place and/or at the same time? What are you going to do with the data ? What does it contain ? Best wishes Harald "Khawajaanwar" <Khawajaanwar@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:09EC3080-3D08-4E34-B59F-0D5218053356@microsoft.com... >I have 390 MB data text file, i try to open this file with MS Excel only a > part of the f...

Set the a differet value of a textbox based on input value
Hello to everybody. In a textbox I shoult type the value from 1 to 9 in the following way: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, etc However may times I type only one digit: 1, 2, 4, 5, etc. Is there a way to get always as result 01, 02, 03. This way will help me a lot during the report sorted out by column Thanks for your help and regards John On Sun, 20 May 2007 07:25:07 +0200, John wrote: > Hello to everybody. > In a textbox I shoult type the value from 1 to 9 in the following way: 01, > 02, 03, 04, 05, etc > However may times I type only one digit: 1, 2, 4, 5, etc. > Is there a way to...

VB6 app running in Windows 7, can't get Help working
I'm developing a VB6 app. I'm trying to get the help working. It works fine in XP, I press F1 and help pops up...even to the right place courtesy of the HelpContextID property in forms. However when I run the app in Windows 7 the help doesn't fire up when I press the F1 key. Any ideas what could be going on? Thanks, KF kflash presented the following explanation : > I'm developing a VB6 app. I'm trying to get the help working. It works > fine in XP, I press F1 and help pops up...even to the right place courtesy of > the HelpContext...

Afraid to Close Outlook!!
Recently switched from Outlook Express to Outlook (Office 2003) I have my email settings to "leave a copy on the server" for 6 days (so I can access via webmail while on the road). Everytime I close Outlook and re-launch it re-downloads all the emails still on the server. How do I change settings so it only downloads each message once and never again? Thanks in advance!!! MZ MZ wrote: > Recently switched from Outlook Express to Outlook (Office 2003) > > I have my email settings to "leave a copy on the server" for 6 days (so > I can access via webmail...

Get sheet by index?
If I have many sheets in my workbook, how can I get the index number of the active sheet?? Is there a property or method for "ActiveSheet" which gives back this value?? msgbox activesheet.index Robert Crandal wrote: > > If I have many sheets in my workbook, how can I get > the index number of the active sheet?? Is there > a property or method for "ActiveSheet" which gives > back this value?? -- Dave Peterson ...

pst. file- cannot restore
I backed up my outlook to a pst. file on another hard drive on my computer prior to reformatting and reinstalling all my software. When I reinstalled M/S office and tried to import my pst file into outlook I receive an error message that I do not have permission to access. Operating system is windows 2000. I tried moving and copying the file but access is denied. Please help Save the PST to your computer somewhere and then Right click on the saved file to bring up the properties. and remove the "Read Only" property attribute. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Gary&q...

Microsoft Money Unable to Open File
I had a downloadable version of Money 2006 Standard on my computer. I had it backed up on Carbonite.com I reformated my hard drive, downloaded all of my backed up files and could not open my file because I did not have the program. I loaded a used Money 2006 Deluxe program and it will not allow my file to be opened. I get a window that says, "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. ...

why don't some lib files can use in Unicode mode
hi all, why dn't some lib files can use in Unicode mode, though those lib files work well in Debug mode i got errors like that error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: int __thiscall CProtocol ..... i included some lib files into project in Debug Unicode mode, but it like that i dn't include it. This is a very vague question in many ways. If I write a DLL or static library, and it has functions that take string arguments, and I want people to be able to use it for both ANSI and Unicode apps, then I have to create *two* libraries, one library compiled in ANSI mode...

Outlook 2003 Junk Rules
I've been running Outlook 2003 with pop since it was released. About a week ago, for no apparent reason, the junk filter stopped working. Now all the junk goes into my inbox. I checked the NG's, and see others are experiencing the same problem, yet there doesn't seem to be a solution. I also checked the net, and Microsoft's site. Nothing found. I've ran Repair, reinstalled, changed the rules from No to Low, back to High. I've got the Service packs and hotfixes installed. In other words, I've tried all of the microwave solutions. Nothing has worked. Does anyo...

Count and Reset Button Clicks
Hello Experts. I have a Yahtzee game with 2 buttons/2 macros. One button (Roll Dice) rolls the dice (Calculate) and the second button (Next Player) clears all checkboxes on the sheet. However, I'd like to know if there's a way to disable the first button after it's been clicked 3 times, then re-enable it once the second button is clicked and start the count over... Please advise. I thank you for your time. We can use a Global variable to communicate between the two macros: Dim IAmTheCount As Integer Sub FirstButton() If IsEmpty(IAmTheCount) Then I...

Right mouse click not working
I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). Any suggestions - I am lost without it. Thanks, Rita See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Rita" <heidkampr@alyeska-pipeline.com> wrote in message news:0e8701c49c1d$cd1c5ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right > mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine > in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). > > Any suggestions - I am l...

Creating a form that can be dragged from any click within the 'Detail' section
Hi all, I'm trying to create a dashboard and I want the form to be moveable, however I have removed the control box and I don't want the form to have a border (hence no title row that can be used to drag the form). How do I allow a click from either a control or the detail section to enable the form to be dragged? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Bob Phil I agree with your suggestions to stick with the standard Window UI. But if the OP really must have this interface it is possible using the Form's MouseMove etc. events. I and others have posted code how to do this ov...

How to Enable Synchronization when Outlook is offline?
Please set the option "Enable Synchronization when Outlook is offline" in UI inorder to synchronize in Offline mode I was trying to Hot Sync my palm trio 755p with outlook 2003 ...

Outlook XP Freezes Upon Opening as a Result of a Large Inbox File
I tried downloading a 17MB file from my email server and it just caused Outlook XP to freeze up. Now whenever I start Outlook it just freezes. What should I do? Thanks, McClint Downing mcclint_downing@yahoo.com Can you access your ISP's web mail interface and delete that message? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, McClint asked: | I tried downloading a 17MB file from my email server and it just | caused Outlook XP to freeze u...

SOME .docx files open in compatibility mode
Can anyone point me to where I can determine what elements may be causing some DOCX files to open in compatibility mode in word 2007 and word 2010 Beta? What seems strange is that if I open the document, make a change to it and resave it, when re-opened, it will STILL be in compatibility mode. However, if I open the document, do NOT change anything, and then re-save it under a new name and re-open it, then it does NOT open in compatibility mode. All functions and features I use seem to work fine either way including embedded XL spreadsheets. OS: win7Pro32 1.5 GB RAM All fil...

how do i remove the pop-up "this file contains macros"
especially when you have removed/deleted the macro... thx : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have to remove the module that the macro was in. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "sokevin" <sokevin.yddgy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:sokevin.yddgy@excelforum-nospam.com... > especially when you have removed/deleted the macro... > > thx :D > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > When you record a macro, Excel creates a module in which the code is stored. When you delete the macr...

get Cell to not display ( $
hi, i have cells that are formatted for accounting and the cell formula contains the SUM feature, when the cells are empty and waiting for a value, they display ($ -) and so i have those symblos everywhere and would like the cell just to be blank and then show up with the dollar sign when a value appears in it. Any ideas? thanks Try this. There might be an easier one, but this is what I use. S 14 5 15 5 =IF(SUM(S14:S18)=0,"",(SUM(S14:S18))) 16 5 17 5 ...

outlook bodyu is empty
when i recieve e-mail with attachments - the attachments disapear thanks ...

retreiving old emails, contact, etc
my computer crashed and outlook 2003 was reinstalled. will someone please offer help on how I can get my old emails and contacts? I really do not understand the process. software is costly -- barbaram http://forums.slipstick.com Answered daily. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assis...

missing files #2
I opened a floppy disc this morning, the computer crashed and now I can't get anything of the disc, please can anyone help? Hi Poppy (what a lovely name), you could try Windows check disk. Go into My Computer, find your floppy drive (usually A:) - right clic on this (with the floppy disk in there) and select Properties, the Tools, under Error Checking click Check Now, tick both boxes and clic Start. If a drive or file is being accessed while a computer crashes i usually causes corruption. The disk scan will attempt to fix an corruption which might have occured. If this does not work...