characters ignored in search of inbox

when i search my inbox, if i mix some symbols with characters, the symbols
are just ignored.  For instance, i put in a search for "#members" and it
found matches for just "members".  How can i make outlook obey the exact
characters that i put into the search box (even if they are not letters).
Thanks,
tom

TomCon <someone@verizon.net> wrote:

> when i search my inbox, if i mix some symbols with characters, the
> symbols are just ignored.  For instance, i put in a search for
> "#members" and it found matches for just "members".  How can i make
> outlook obey the exact characters that i put into the search box
> (even if they are not letters). Thanks,
> tom

I just tested this and looking for "#members" using any punctuation
(including a space) other than the # did not match.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
10/4/2007 11:47:55 AM
"TomCon" wrote in message news:3sXMi.4419$PV1.1690@trndny08...
> when i search my inbox, if i mix some symbols with characters, the
> symbols are just ignored.  For instance, i put in a search for
> "#members" and it found matches for just "members".  How can i make
> outlook obey the exact characters that i put into the search box
> (even if they are not letters).

Just a guess.  Did you try enclosing the search string within
double-quotes?  That is, instead of '#members', did you try
'"#members"' (sans the single quotes).  Maybe one day a developer at
Microsoft will be brave enough to announce that they also have heard
of regular expressions but, oooh, that's UNIX heresy.

0
VanguardLH (155)

Inbox Repair Tool error
A member of our staff overflowed his Inbox last week. A quick check revealed that it was slightly over the 2Gb suggested limit. I ran the 2GB Truncate Utility, and then ran the Inbox Repair Tool. When the repair tool gets about halfway through Phase 6 of 8, it stops and I get the error message "An error has occurred which caused the scan to be stopped. No changes have been made to the scanned file." I've gone back to the original PST file three times now to each time cut off more and more excess with the 2GB utility, but each time I get the same error message with ...

extracting sheets on the basis of Row character
Hi, I have the below data...i have only shown the st column but i have the data in 15 coulmns. Like this i have 20 sheets... and i need a separate sheets for the name that are contained in column A ie separate sheet for "Mark" where it will extract the data from 20 sheets where there is row with name mark... Name Mark Steve Mark Gary Mark Gary Steve Regards, radha If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line ...

#### being printed instead of characters
I have a text cell that when it prints the cell prints out as all ######. I have tried to expand to cell but still get only the characters #. Is there a limit on the number of characters that will fit into a cell? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ From the XL2000 Help file, "Worksheet and workbook specifications": Length of cell contents (text) - 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. HTH Ed "mconville" <mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-...

delete all characters after an character
Hi I have a spread sheet where I have a colum with pack size ex: 10/20'. I would like to remove all character after the slash (/). I cannot use any of amount of character beacause it's not always the same format but the slash is always there. Remember I have over 10000 lines. Thank any help will be appreciated. try this. Also removes the / Sub findslash() For Each c In Selection x = InStr(c, "/") - 1 MsgBox Left(c, x) Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jean-Francois Boucher" <Jean-Francois Boucher@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Strange Character
I'm trying to write some code to delete a character in a text file. The character appears as a square "O", and when it is copied to MS Word, it turns out to be "^m" for a manual page break that I can find, edit and replace. So the question is, what is that character in Excel, and how can I do and find and replace on it? If you need more information, please let me know. Thanks, Bernie Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny characters. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm If you have to do this lots of times, I'd recor...

Odd Characters showing up in e-mails sent to contacts
When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd characters show up in the e-mails. The characters usually look like this “, this ” or this †Any ideas on how to prevent this? Sometimes this occurs if you compose the email in another application and paste it into a CRM email template or email form. Try re-typing the email directly in the CRM template or form. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Steve Bambauer" wrote: > When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd > ch...

Old emails not displayed (Multiple PC's using same inbox)
I have 2 machines running XP and Outlook 2000. Both mahcines are setup to using the same Exchange Server email account. When i open outlook in one machine all mail are visable is the inbox, and new mail is received correctly. But if i opne Outlook on the second machine my inbox is empty. Any new mails will appear quickly then disappear. I cannot get the second machine to display old emails. If I leave the first machine off, all new mail will stay in the second machines inbox, but if I open outlook on the second machine all mail disappears and is shown in the first machines inbox. A...

Issue skiping characters by Regular Expressions searching Word
When using Regular Expression search using VBA script in Excel to search Word document, "-" character in the word document gets skiped (substituted with "" empty character). Here is the string in Word: <DE4.0><SWR4.4.l‑CE6:A> Here is the snipet of VBA code used: With Selector.Find .text = "\<DE?*^13" .Replacement.text = "" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindzz .Format = True .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchWild...

Item search
When I select Edit Item in Store Ops Manager>Item, is it possible to add more columns to the search field? Rather than having to go into find? If not, is this a new feature in version 2 or 3 of RMS? Thanks ...

Special Characters
I do any programming by recording macros and then trying to adapt them to fit my situation. I frequently run into unexplored territory. I need to know where to find how to use ampersands, periods, quotes, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks. -- BillR I don't think there is a specific answer for this. Just trial and error, school of hard knocks, lots and lots of practice, etc. You can read books, and read through posts here. Read as many posts as you have time for. Try to answer some questions too!! You may be surprised about how much you learn!!!! ...

Randomize character positions in string
Dear all, I want to randomize character positions in string. Example : jhonny --> onyhjn freddy --> dfyerd Please help. Thanks. Chlaris On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:51:27 +0700, "Chlaris" <chlarrissa_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: What are you REALLY trying to accomplish? -Tom. >Dear all, > >I want to randomize character positions in string. > >Example : > >jhonny --> onyhjn >freddy --> dfyerd > >Please help. Thanks. > >Chlaris > I have employee name field. I want create a module to change the character position in employee n...

pi character
Hi, I am trying to create a string which includes the pi symbol using: str.Format(_T("%s%c"),_T("-"),(TCHAR)0x03C0); When I use TextOut to place the string on a graph I get an A with a squiggly above it. I am using VC++ 6. Any help will be appreciated thanks bill Do you have a Unicode application? If not, 0x03C0 is not interpreted as the Greek and Coptic Code page (based on ISO-8859-7), as the character C0 (the 03 is discarded as meaningless). You could have written this without the Format operation and it would be as meaningful. Compile with _UNICODE and UNICODE...

Characters
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel All I want to due is add a plain old black and white smiley face to my document. I found it yesterday with a group of characters, among them a snowman and a skull and bones. I cannot seem to find those characters again to choose a smiley face again. Where are the characters? Unicode 263A, UTF-8 E2 98 BA, in Character Viewer under "Miscellaneous Symbols" or search for the name "smile". Word will autocorrect :-) to a smiley face unless you specifically remove that Autocorrect entry. Loo...

Search past appointments
When performing a search of my Outlook Calendar, past appointments do not display. Can you help? Thank you!!! ...

Selecting cells containing spcific character(s)
Hello, I need to know how to get Excel to select all cells within a specific column that contain a specific character. In this instance, I need to select all the cells which contain a comma... And even better would be if I could get Excel to not just select all the cells in a specific column containing a comma, but each of the rows in which those cells reside. I hope this makes sense and someone can help me. Thanks. -- ianwitt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ianwitt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3...

characters ignored in search of inbox
when i search my inbox, if i mix some symbols with characters, the symbols are just ignored. For instance, i put in a search for "#members" and it found matches for just "members". How can i make outlook obey the exact characters that i put into the search box (even if they are not letters). Thanks, tom TomCon <someone@verizon.net> wrote: > when i search my inbox, if i mix some symbols with characters, the > symbols are just ignored. For instance, i put in a search for > "#members" and it found matches for just "members". How ca...

Setting a Default Character Set
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap In Entourage I recieve a lot of emails that have fractions in them from PC users. To be able to view these I have to goto Format > Character Set > Western European(Windows) for each of these messages for them to diplay correctly. Is there a way to have the default character set, set to Western European(Windows)? On 12/15/09 4:18 PM, in article 59baf1fa.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "boojiboy1000@officeformac.com" <boojiboy1000@officeformac.com> wrote: > Is there...

Multiple searches in one query...
Is there a way to use Like "*" & [Enter all, or part of the Location] & "*" in the same query, on additional fields to narrow down a result!? I haven't tried it yet, and just don't wanna mess anything up! :) I would like to use it on one query, and 2 different fields, to narrow a search!? You've got it right. Entering nothing returns all records. Entering something returns just those records that contain the string you enter. This is a particularly powerful thing to do when you use a form to launch your report. Have the criteria lines refer back ...

Random number of characters either side of Literal Characters
I wish to create an input mask that will allow a random number of characters before and after or between mandatory characters Example 1. To force the use of XoX followed by 1 or more characters should allow: XoXa XoXbcde XoX5qr7 XXL have fun today Example 2. To force the use of 1 or more characters before XoX should allow: 3XoX asdf4XoX 37 abc XoX Example 3. To force the use of 1 or more characters between YYY and HHH should allow: YYY7589HHH YYYabcd 123 HHH YYY between HHH Example 3. To force the use of 1 or more characters before after and between YYY and HHH shou...

Extracting a character from a string of characters
I would like to extract the 6th character (the 5) from the following example of a string of characters e.g.B123456789. Have a look in HELP index for MID -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73FB02F4-EDA0-4819-9280-3F74F4163B4E@microsoft.com... > I would like to extract the 6th character (the 5) from the following example > of a string of characters e.g.B123456789. > > If its always the 6th character use MID i.e. if B123456789 was in cell A1 =MID(a1,6,1) -- ______________________...

French Characters
Is there an easy way to put french characters into a publisher 2007 document without changing your overal languager settings? Sir Bill wrote: > Is there an easy way to put french characters into a publisher 2007 document > without changing your overal languager settings? Insert > Symbol Or add a French keyboard layout (which you can switch to and from easily using the Language Bar). Or learn the Alt+ key combinations (listed in Character Map, in the Start menu under Accessories) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Remove a particular character using formulas
I have excel 2000 and i have having a problem I have a list of roughlt 5000 items that all have "-" in random places I want to remove these dashes using a formula... not find replace. Any luck. Example: I have "---105--22" I want "10522" Thanks in advance for the help -- msetyon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ msetyon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29277 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489953 =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""...

Making Characters from Character Viewer More Easily Available
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm writing a manual where I need to often use both the Place of Interest Sign that denotes the Command key, as well as the Upwards White Arrow that typically means the Shift key, and I'm getting those from the Character Viewer, thanks to information from this forum. I'm wondering, however, if there is a way to make those characters available more readily, so that I might insert them with specially designated keystroke combinations, as you can with the symbols in Word? I'm using them enough now...

Search archive and FAQ
Good day everyone I have browsed here a while and posted a few questions to specific groups. In the back of my mind, I thought there might be an FAQ or archive of some sort, but I haven't found it yet. I apologize for the FAQ, but where is the FAQ Thank you and havea great day Peter Hi there's no FAQ but you may search the archive. Easiest way is Ron's add-in: http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peter wrote: > Good day everyone. > > I have browsed here a while and posted a few questions to specific > groups. In the bac...

Can you share message folders that are not in the Inbox
We are in the process of moving from Groupwise to Outlook 2003 and I am a little confused when its comes to sharing folders. It seems if you want to share a folder you need to share all the levels above it as well. That works ok. But what I want to do is add a folder that is not part of the Inbox. I share it but when I try to add it to the other mailbox by right clicking on the users mailbox, selecting open other folder, other users folder, available in the drop down list is "Contacts, Inbox, Journal, Notes, Task". How can I add my folder if its not in the list as its not ...