central storage of .pst files ..

Is there anyway off setting a central files location like a fileserver to
store users .pst files , in such a way that which ever pc a user use on the
network, their .pst is the same file & thus the emails are always there ?
a way seems to me is anyway to deploy a customized package on all pc's that
automatically maps that fileserver location for each users individually .

input needed

thanks

0
sting (2)

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09:59 -1000, S t i n g r a y <sting@youbastard.com>
wrote:

> Is there anyway off setting a central files location like a fileserver to
> store users .pst files , in such a way that which ever pc a user use on
> the
> network, their .pst is the same file & thus the emails are always there ?
> a way seems to me is anyway to deploy a customized package on all pc's
> that
> automatically maps that fileserver location for each users individually .
>
> input needed

You can do it but Microsoft discourages it.  .PST files can be fragile,
especially as they get large, and a network glitch at the wrong time could
wreck your .PST file.  Wouldn't be great for performance either, honestly.

Do you have an Exchange server?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote/Outlook

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP" <bens@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09:59 -1000, S t i n g r a y <sting@youbastard.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway off setting a central files location like a fileserver
> > store users .pst files , in such a way that which ever pc a user use on
> > the
> > network, their .pst is the same file & thus the emails are always there
?
> > a way seems to me is anyway to deploy a customized package on all pc's
> > that
> > automatically maps that fileserver location for each users individually
..

> > input needed
>
> You can do it but Microsoft discourages it.  .PST files can be fragile,
> especially as they get large, and a network glitch at the wrong time could
> wreck your .PST file.  Wouldn't be great for performance either, honestly.
>
> Do you have an Exchange server?
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote/Outlook
> Operations Coordinator
> Stockholm/KSG - Honolulu
> Microsoft OneNote FAQ:
> http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/computers/onenotefaq.htm

0
sting (2)
5/18/2005 7:21:51 AM
On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:21:51 -1000, S t i n g r a y <sting@youbastard.com>
wrote:

> no we dont but we are planning for it.
> also there are some clients that use external messeging systems to check
> emails , in such senario exchange also uses pst files right ?
> what in your suggestion should be done ?

I'd expedite getting the Exchange Server - that is a much better solution
for roving users.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote/Outlook
Operations Coordinator
Stockholm/KSG - Honolulu
Microsoft OneNote FAQ:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/computers/onenotefaq.htm
0
bens1 (1425)
5/18/2005 7:30:12 AM
S t i n g r a y <sting@youbastard.com> wrote:

> no we dont but we are planning for it.
> also there are some clients that use external messeging systems to
> check emails , in such senario exchange also uses pst files right ?

In an Exchange environment, PSTs aren't required at all, even if you have
external accounts you check.  The external messages can be delivered right
to the Exchange mailbox.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Smiley Central
Help ! I have downloaded Smiley Central but every time I send an email through Windows Mail I get the message "one or more of the pictures in this message could not be found" and the smiley won`t attach. I suspect I have a pop-up blocker on somewhere, but only found one and despite turning it off, the smiley still won`t send/attach. What am I doing wrong. It`s a new laptop March 09 and Windows Vista as OS keep the smiley on its great :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::) "Michelle Forbes" <Michelle Forbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

bcp format file
Hi SQL Monsters I am having an issue using the format file that I generated using bcp. I am using SQL Server 2005. I cannot figure out why it doesn't want to import anything in based on its own bcp formatted file. Please look at what I am doing below and see if you see anything that stands out. I am guessing there is a version issue with using its own file but not sure. Thanks in advance! MC This creates the format file bcp dbo.testCSV format nul -T -n -f c:\csv\myformattest2-n.fmt-U myusername - P mypassword I run this command to use the format file: bcp dbo.testCSV IN c:\c...

.pst file size discrepancy?
I have a discrepancy with the size of the outlook.pst file: Under "View Mailbox Size" under Tools->Mailbox Cleanup, it shows it as being: 5506KB And on my hard drive it shows it as being: 13730KB Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks, Chirag Have you tried compacting the file recently? It may have a lot of white space in it that may be compacted out. <patelc75@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1133283174.707547.246870@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a discrepancy with the size of the outlook.pst file: > > Under "View Mailbox Size"...

Recovery Storage Group #8
I need to recover a users Calendar ( Palm nuked it, and it's not in the deleted items) EX2K3 server. I've read extensively on both Recovery Storage Groups and restoring with a recovery server (if I need to.) Two questions- 1.) Using Veritas - I have a full IS backup, but not a recent Mailbox Storage backup. In Veritas underneath the IS store restore list is a sub-folder called 'Mailbox Storage'. How is this sub-folder of the IS different from the main 'Mailbox Storage' listed higher in the restore tree? Can I use it? Will I need to restore the entire IS? 2.) W...

Excel missing file
I am a registered user of Office XP Pro. Excel will not start. It is missing a file. In the process of moving, disks in storage. Where can I go online to download the missing file? And, how? ...

Save File Dialog auto change file extension
Hi All, I am using the file dialog to obtain a proposed archive file name from the user. I would like to have this feature: when the user select different filter (different file type) the extention of the file name should be automatically changed to the select type, for example the original file name is abc.ini, when the user change fitler to *.log, the filename is then changed to abc.log. How can I achieve this? many thanks in advance. Timmy mdk wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using the file dialog to obtain a proposed archive file > name from the user. I would like to have this...

file conversion #3
Can you please tell me why I am getting the file conversion dialogue box, when I try to open a text file from the internet. It's entirely possible that you have not associated your text files with an application. You can change the program that opens a file by right-clicking the file, clicking Open With, and then clicking the program name. If the program you want is not displayed, click Browse. In the future I recommend posting this type of question to the Windows newsgroups. This group pertains to Microsoft Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publisherm...

central update
I have various excel database with macros. All sheets have macros. Is it possible to have a word file (a central place) where user can click a button and run those macros? I do it with a separate Sheet in the same workbook called "MainMenu". Thereon I put "buttons" which I create out of Drawing Objects, include text to identify which macro each runs, and assign the respective macros to them..........then on each sheet, I install a similar button titled "Return to MainMenu". hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "flow23" wrote: > I have vari...

Combining 2 Publisher Files Into 1
Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Phil. Open one file, then run Publisher again open the second file. Both files are open. Add the pages you need to add the pages from the file you want to combine. Copy, paste from one file to the other. Save, you're done. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:185901c49c1d$60824030$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. > > Phil. Phil wrote: > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. &...

Excel 98 Mac
This issue seems to be isolated to some of our macs. We receive excel files via emails which when opened direct from the mails open in imovie rather than excel. If I save the file to disk and then open then excel opens but the document doesn't.The doc also has no icon. The only way to open it is to open from the excel file menu and then save. Once saved the file gets it's excel icon and after that it works fine. Has anyone seen this before, any ideas? ...

Not responding during file compact
I'm running Outlook 97 and when I attempt to Compact Files, the system stops and returns a 'Not Responding' error. I've tried making a new .pst file and have no information in the new .pst file and the Not Responding error does not show up. When I use the .pst file with mail, contacts, etc., the error shows up. Any ideas? -- the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe With outlook closed run the inbox repair tool, scanpst.exe, on your outlook data file. What size is the data file? "Limadelta" <Limadelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Outlook listing files backwards!
I'm running Outlook 2002 on XP Home. I have inadvertantly tweaked something! Now, Outlook lists all my folders and files in descending order whenever I search for or save an attachment. I have a long directory list, and I'm very used to looking through it right-side up. So, this is a royal pain. Anyone know what I did? it sounds like the sort order in windows explorer was changed - click on the date field name at the top of the window. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Auth...

PST password lost
i am using Outlook 2000 i lost the password of my old Personal folder .PST file Now is there any way to retrive those e-mails >-----Original Message----- >i am using Outlook 2000 i lost the password of my old >Personal folder .PST file Now is there any way to retrive >those e-mails >. >You'll need some password cracking software - try using the demo software from http://www.lostpassword.com/kit.htm hope this helps ...

DOCX files open as outlook attachments.
Can anyone give me a hand please? Some how I managed to set my default program from docx files as Outlook attachments and now I can not get Word to set docx files as word documents. Now they open up as outlook attachments and when you try to open the attachment it opens up as another email with the same attachment in it. Really awesome!!! However, it's quite frustrating. sof if anyone can help me out with this little issue that would be great. Try Start | Run (Winkey+R) and type in winword /r and press enter. Test again now. If that doesn't work, run Office Set...

Automate Scripting of Jobs to a flat file
hI, Could anybody please point me in the direction of the best way to automate the scripting of jobs to a flat file. so far I have come u with following 1 use T-SQL in a job to iterate jobs, pull back the text and dump it to file using xp_cmdshell. 2 use a C# CLR to iterate jobs and dump them to a file. 3 Use an SSIS package and run it from a scheduled job. 4. Create custom C# code and run it from a job. If the C# / SSIS route is best then could anybody say the best way to do this - are there any methods availible to script jobs directly from C#? what I am trying to achie...

question regarding transaction log files
Does the transaction log file (E000X.log) contain the contents of emails sent or received by a user or it just contains information regarding emails. The reason i am asking this is that incremental backup will only backup the transaction log files, not the databases. My concern is that if i perform a Normal backup on Monday and then perform incremental backup for the rest of the week and then i have a database crash during the week, will I be able to restore emails received to the database after the last Normal backup? Thanks. if you do a weekly fulll, and then a nightly incremental,...

File Dialog for Directories?
Looking through MFC, I haven't seen a class that is like the CFileDialog but for directories only. Does such a tool exist? Or is it something that we should just use SHBrowseForDirectory for? Thanks, Josh McFarlane "Josh McFarlane" <darsant@gmail.com> wrote: >Looking through MFC, I haven't seen a class that is like the >CFileDialog but for directories only. Does such a tool exist? Or is it >something that we should just use SHBrowseForDirectory for? You figured it out. That's exactly what SHBrowseForDirectory is for. -- Tim Slattery MS MVP(DTS) Slatt...

Sync with Money Central
I was syncing with money central, but all of a sudden the option is no longer in Money. Anyone else have this problem, or a fix? The option came back for a couple of days, and now it's gone again. Tried to reinstall Money but that didn't seem to help. "David Desrosiers" <david@desrosiers.org> wrote in message news:Om5ino%23SEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I was syncing with money central, but all of a sudden the option is no > longer in Money. Anyone else have this problem, or a fix? > > ...

xls file blown up?
Hi, I have an xls file that has become very large. When I saved the file 2003-12-09 it was approx 350KB. When I saved it the 10th it was over 3MB. I have NOT added anything put a small amount of text and numbers to the file between those two dates. Does anyone know if it is possible to shrunk the file again? Regards, Tobbe G�rdner Hi Try to save it to another name (Save As) -- (When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee) Arvi Laanemets "Tobias G�rdner" <tobias.gardner@ericsson.com> wrote in message news:br94fj$ofv$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se... > Hi, &g...

Is it possible to turn an e-mail into a file
I have an ongoing PayPal dispute and they have requested I upload a copy of an e-mail I received. However, this can only be uploaded as a file! Is it possible to turn a received e-mail into an uploadable file? Open it, click Other Actions, Forward as attachment. Tortchyboy wrote: > I have an ongoing PayPal dispute and they have requested I upload a copy of > an e-mail I received. However, this can only be uploaded as a file! Is it > possible to turn a received e-mail into an uploadable file? "Tortchyboy" <Tortchyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

change a money 2006 file name
Hi all. How do I change a money 2006 file name? Do I have to change it in Windows Explorer, and what about my backup files on my flash drive? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, PeterInMN wrote: >Hi all. >How do I change a money 2006 file name? Do I have to change it in Windows >Explorer, Yes. > and what about my backup files on my flash drive? You could rename them. When you restore, you can select the file name to restore to. Do not take the default unless you want the same name and location that was used at the time of backup. Cal, Thanks for info, muchas gracias. Yo...

Storage Folder 01-11-10
We have a Windows Media Server where all our email storage folders are stored. However, with Windows Live Email, I don't seem to be able to change the storage folder to the Server as the Ok button grays out as soon as I select that folder on the Server (network folder). Windows Live email seems to be only happy as long as the storage folder is on the computer you are using. Has anyone suggestions how I can change the storage folder to be located on a network folder? Thanks The free Microsoft email programs must have the storage folder on the same drive. Outlook has th...

Converting Mac -> Windows Files?
How do I convert files created on a Macintosh in MS Office X to files for a Windows XP machine? Does a batch-conversion app. exist? If so, is it reliable and from what site can I find it? Thank you in advance for suggestions and guidance, Mike In article <d51a28d9.0409040651.14e1d9ae@posting.google.com>, mzbpayne@comcast.net wrote: > How do I convert files created on a Macintosh in MS Office X to files > for a Windows XP machine? > > Does a batch-conversion app. exist? If so, is it reliable and from > what site can I find it? Hi Mike! You don't need any special...

File set up query.
Can i set up an excel file to open automatically on pc start up? The easiest is to use the Startup folder available in the Start Menu. To access it go to Start - Programs - Startup. You can delete or add tasks here according to your needs. They will start after Windows logon. When you start Excel, all the files that are located in the XLStart folder are automatically opened. Additionally, if you specified an alternative startup folder for Excel, every file in that folder is also automatically opened. To specify an alternative startup folder, in Microsoft Excel 2002 or Microsof...

importing .dbx files from floppy into outlook
im having trouble uploading .dbx files from a floppy of mine, that i saved them onto. im having trouble, 'importing' them back into outlook. copying and pasting them into the folder where my current .dbx files wont work either. Outlook does not use dbx files. Outlook Express does. This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an outlook express news group. Try posting in one o...