Category field

Outlook 2003 SP2

What's the use of the "Category" field ?

I gave every contact a category but can not use this field in any useful
way.
Outlook help states that it can be used to sort and select contacts. But
that's it. No nothing on how Categories can be used.

Is there something wrong with my Outlook or is this one of the microsoft
bells and whistles ?

I am triyng to be polite here and trying hard not to start a rant. Always
found the Outlook contacts a disaster, made for geeks by geeks.

Pol.

0
pvda (1)

you can group or filter by category.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Paul van den Akker" <pvda@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 SP2
>
> What's the use of the "Category" field ?
>
> I gave every contact a category but can not use this field in any useful
> way.
> Outlook help states that it can be used to sort and select contacts. But
> that's it. No nothing on how Categories can be used.
>
> Is there something wrong with my Outlook or is this one of the microsoft
> bells and whistles ?
>
> I am triyng to be polite here and trying hard not to start a rant. Always
> found the Outlook contacts a disaster, made for geeks by geeks.
>
> Pol.

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Why does money 2005 have multiple categories for the same thing?And why does it keep spliting the food categories apart on me?
Take rent for example they have it in 2 places. On a side not why is food no longer have subcategories. The stupid restore categories breaks the food categories back apart even when explicitly place the subcategories before I do that. Its annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes it is. I'm not sure what all of the reasons are for this, but trying to eliminate subcategories to support the "Essential" "Less Typing" "Effortless way" seems part of the answer. Why it had to mangle existing data to do this is still a mystery. See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q...

Newbie: New Field Question
Is there any exposure or issues adding fields to a "Live" CRM implementation? Or Is it best to do it on a "fresh" or implementation, before it goes live. Thanks You can extend the schema at any time and add new fields via the web UI at any time. The only caution would be to publish your customizations at a time when users are out of the system since you will need to do an IIS reset afterwards. Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Mike" wrote: > Is there any exposure or issues adding fields to a "Live" > CRM implementation? &g...

Calendar invites with Personal Categories
Hi, I am trying to figure out if it is possible for one to send out calendar invites and have the invitee have the color categories that I set on the meeting/appointment shown on their end. It would be a really helpful feature to have access to. I have tried a registry edit shown in another post on the newsgroup, but that did not seem to work for me. Are there any other possible solutions to make this work? Thanks, agdonald The invitee must have the same category with the same color in his master category list. Those categories are stored in the default calendar, there...

Money 2005
I have used Money 2003 for 2 years now. I did not use ANY of the online features nor did I have a .NET Passport. I just purchased Money 2005. I took my existing .mny file and converted it for use in Money 2005. I enabled my checking account (from US Bank) to use online services. NOT ONLY did 2005 create a brand new duplicate account with my recent activity in it (see my other posting), BUT it also duplicated most of my existing budget categories too. For example, I had an existing category called "Day Care". Now I have two of them: "Day Care" and "Day Car...

Table fields not appearing in report writer
I have created an add-in app for GP. With the app are reports. When I go into Great Plains in the Report Writer and modify the report I need to create a relationship with existing GP tables. When I am in the Report Writer and I choose the MY table and look at the table, I can see all the fields. When I go to create a relationship, I click the Relationship button, select Great Plains for the product, select the table I want and choose the index. In the portion of the form where you associate one field with another, the secondard table (GP) shows the fields that are in the index. H...

SOP field for status in Smartlist Builder
I am looking for the field or fields that I can use to determine what stage an order is in (Open , Shipped, Invoiced). I thought there would be something in SOP10100 but am at a loss to what field I could use as a restriction for getting the status. Thanks in advance. Kevin R Pittman Trek Equipment Corp Kevin, I don't believe something like that is tracked unless you are using Workflow. If you are using Workflow, you can use the SOPSTATUS field in SOP10100, you can find the values in the SDK. But in general, any order that is Invoiced will not be in SOP10100, it will have move...

accounts category
Hi, I create some new accounts category and link them to range of accounts ,but when I try to use them in frx reports I couldn`t find them ,any help? Hi Bob, First, I presume you are using the FRx report mode that is designed to view quantities. I would rebuild the GL account index in FRx. You can delete any ..g32 files from FRx and the indexes will be rebuilt. Please let us know if this doesn't solve the problem. Kind regards, Leslie "BOB" wrote: > Hi, > I create some new accounts category and link them to range of accounts ,but > when I ...

Category and Subcategory in the same field ><
In M2004 Register Category and Subcategory can have different field, but in M2005 Category and Subcategory , they in the same field. Where can I comfig it to split Category and subcategory in different fields. thanks See http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q161 -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifica...

is there a template for a field guide
I am In year 8 at school and need to make a field guide compairing 2 coastal habitats. Are there any sugestions on a suitable template. Might try this one, it is in Word http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/sustevens/biology.html There are templates on the Office site you could possibly edit to fit your needs. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=field+guide -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Marc Little" <Marc Little@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8D91CE0-CC2D-...

Removing fields that are not system/business required
We need to do some extensive customization to our contracts form and I am having difficulty removing fields that are not system or business required. For example, I would like toremove the "bill to address" and "bill start" and "bill end" dates. Theses fields are not required but apparently are "event dependent." How can I find out what this dependency is? And is it possible to disable a dependency once I know what it is? Also, I would like to take some of the system required fields and consolidate them in another section. Is this possible and if s...

eliminating returns in a field
A have a rather large spreadsheet and in a number of cells there are "returns" in the cell. Is there a way to eliminate these "returns"? "returns" = someone hit enter in a field while in Access and now I am exporting the info to excel, do some clean up, and then change to a text file. This is when I see the problems when someone hit the return key. Anyone able to help? Thanks Dave Peterson posted the following macro that you can use to clean up the worksheet: http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=40885629.CB0ABB4E%40msn.com ckenney wrote: &g...

How can I show or hide an image using an access table field?
I am trying to put a picture on a report and then use the boolean result value of a field in an Access database to either show or hide it. What have you tried so far? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "evansc" <evansc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C160E7CD-D727-4830-B69B-6FD3DB8FE032@microsoft.com... >I am trying to put a picture on a report and then use the boolean result > value of a field in an Access database to either show or hide it. > Tried puting a text control on the form and putting the picture in that box, but do n...

Highlighting tasks with specific Category and grouping by Category
Hi, I am having troubles highlighting tasks that contain a specific Category in Tasks view that groups tasks by Category, for tasks that have multiple categories. HERE IS THE IDEA: I am organizing my tasks by category. Tasks can have multiple categories. I separate them by @Context type tags and Project type tasks, such that my task can have Category="@Work, ProjectX". In the view view window I sort tasks by category. So, tags that have > 1, will appear in multiple categories. Each project will have a number of tasks, but only a few will have @ type of context cate...

Need to split XLS file based on value of field
I have an XLS file with several thousand records. Several of the fields use a restricted drop-down list for entering dat - the choices on the drop-down list being pulled from "hidden worksheets. I say this because I think this means that the file has t remain XLS and not CSV or that restricted trop-down won't work. I now need to split this file into about a 100 files, based on th value in one of the columns. Is there a simple way to do this? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Try this set of macros. First, create a folder and put only your main data file in ...

Choosing fields for system integration
I have a question on system integration on selecting "Unused" fields for storing data. Our system for entering tasks, billing, and tracking status on projects has fields that would be nice to have in the Great Plains system. Like the last 4 digits of the phone number or the gps coordinates of an office. Should these types of additions be done in a new table or is the recommended way to piggyback on an existing field that is not currently being used? What are the issues that we might face on future upgrades with either adding new fields or using "unused fields"? As...

Cannot define field more than once. (Error 3191) after shuffling o
Hi I just shuffled the order of fields and added some in a table. Now I cant save it, as it complains with "Cannot define field more than once. (Error 3191)". I think it somehow remembers the first location that a field was in, and then sees the new location and thinks its a duplicate. Andrew, Check very thoroughly that you don't have the exact same field name more than once. Personally I find that this can happen easily when I am playing with new tables and editing table fields. Jeanette Cunningham "Andrew P." <Andrew P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Updated Field...
If I have some text information in a cell and when that text changes, I want to a date to get updated to today's date, how would I do that? Example: A1 contains text that reads "123456890TEST" A2 is formatted as a date and if I changed the text above to "XYZ" A2 would change to 10.24.05 Think of it like tracking in a way... If something changes in Cell1, update Cell2 with today's date... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:A100" On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If No...

Categories and Sub-Categories
In Money 2004, when inputing a transaction, I was able to tab/view thourgh a category and sub-category box with ease. I was able to set it up via tools, now in 2005, I can not. Does anyone know how to change the view in the account registor so I can view both Category and sub category when inputing transaction so I don't have to deal with the drop down menu? For better clarity, it inputting Payto, Category, split, Job expenses and meno. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC474924-4407-4FAE-BCD8-...

2005 printing the Tax Category Manager report
I desperatly need to print a report that shows line by line the category to tax form associations. Basically what the Tax Category Manager page shows... Yet I can't find any way of doing this. Using money 2005 SB. Thanks, Cameron In microsoft.public.money, Cameron wrote: >I desperatly need to print a report that >shows line by line the category to tax form associations. >Basically what the Tax Category Manager page shows... >Yet I can't find any way of doing this. >Using money 2005 SB. If you would like to print an image of the page, you can position things as you wa...

Current date field name
Hi! We would like to create a field so our Project Managers can easily see what was supposed to start prior to today. I can't figure out what the "name" for today's date would be. Is this close to being right? IIf([% Complete]=100,"Complete",IIf([start]<today,"Late", "Not Late")) Thanks for your help! Stacey Hi Stacey, the name of today's date is 'now()'. Hope that helps! Regards Barbara Am 10.03.2010 17:46, schrieb Stacey: > Hi! > > We would like to create a field so our Project Managers...

"RecallType" field coding in transaction table
Hi All, Does anyone know the acceptable values, and their meaning, for the the "RecallType" field int the "transaction" table? So far I've figured out the following: 0 Nothing recalled 1 Return against a prior transaction 3 Void of a prior transaction 4 Process a work order recallNone = 0 RecallTransactionForReturn = 1 recallTransactionForRepost = 2 recallTransactionForVoid = 3 recallOrder = 4 recallTransactionOnHold = 5 "PGC_Developer" wrote: > Hi All, > > Does anyone know the acceptable values, a...

Problem getting rid of "on behalf of name" in the from field
I have an unusual problem... I work for a company that is actually two companies in one. Manufacturing company that makes two different products so as to have two different names. We use Outlook 2000 and our mail is hosted by our ISP (who use a Linux mail server). We have two different email accounts abc@abc.com and xyz@xyz.com . When we go to send email (abc.com being the default account) and we chose the from field and chose xyz@xyz.com the email goes out to the recipient as abc@abc.com on behalf of xyz@xyz.com .. We can not have this because they are two separate companies. It is OK for...

Loan payment category issue
Hi there, In Money2006 (UK), the mortgage loan payment has been categorised as a payslip (with the principle and interest listed under wages - deductables fields are blank). The total amount paid to the loan is listed correctly in the total and the payment is correctly linked to the mortgage account. However, the bill payment seems to be reverse - under the bill payment, it is recorded as a negative deposit into the linked current account. If I try and edit the bill series so the category is assigned as a loan payment, M2006 asks if I really want to change this to a loan payment and ...

Too Many Fields Defined 08-06-07
I keep receiving the message "Too Many Fields Defined" when I try to open a report. The query the report is running off gave me the same message but I corrected that problem so now the query works fine. Why does the report still give me the error message? If I remove seven of my fields the report works fine but I do not have seven fields that I can remove. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. ...

Department, Category and Sub Category?
Hi I am just wondering if there is a way round to having sub category in RMS. Example : Department > CPU Category> Intel Sub Category> L775a Chipset At the moment I am using Sub Description 1 etc ..but its not very helpful when searching for the product as the Item Lookup screen doesn not show the department nor the category nor sub description 1 column to search for products! Please if any one has a way round it please do let me know regards Shiri Jnr Dushayant Dhar wrote: > Hi I am just wondering if there is a way round to having sub category in RMS. RMS not have Sub...