Cannot open .msg files saved from Outlook to network share

Some of my users have dragged and dropped emails into their network shares
creating .msg files. When they try to open some of the files they get the
following popup:

'The messaging interface has generated an unknown error. If the problem
persists, restart Outlook.' This only happens for some of the saved emails.

They are using Outlook 2000 from Office. God only knows why they did this
and didn't use autoarchive! How many training sessions does someone have to
do?!

Anyway, anyone know how I can open them or even better, why I cant?

Regards

Dave

0
divvydave (1)

Outlook will not connect
I have just purchased a new HP computer with Vista and also Office 2007. I cannot get Outlook to work. Upon clicking on the icon I get a blue page with the message “The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.” Then a popup asking for server and mailbox info. I have filled this in and pressed ok. I get a message- “Cannot open your default email folders. The file C:\Users\Joseph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.ost is not a offline folder file.” I can get no help online or anywhere else. Can you help? Many thanks, Jo...

Outlook Calander #3
Does anybody know if there is a way to have Outlooks calendar display the month with "full squares" for Sat and Sun just like other days of the week in the month display mode. I have a lot going on the weekends. Having Sat/Sun as one "square" makes it difficult to read. I cannot see any way to do this from the buttons menu. I am using Office Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance right click on the calendar and choose other settings - untick the compress weekend days option. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNo...

Sharing activities history
Hi, we have created a shared folder for a set of contacts (Exchange server). I want to set up all the activities linked to a contact. A typical use would be so that if a colleague is ill and we have a meeting set up with a contact we can have a quick look at recent communications. I read some previous threads that suggested this was not possible, but they are 3 years old and I was hoping that there had been an update?! We are using Outlook 2007. Thanks, Graeme There hasn't been an update. You are limited to seeing activities in your mailbox or 1 public folder at a time....

Publisher 2000

Outlook Mail Editor Does Not Close When Outlook Closes
Config: WIN2K & Outlook 2K with latest service packs. Word is my email editor. When I close Outlook the WINWORD.EXE process continues to run. (There are no open email messages when I close Outlook.) If I subsequently open Word it will not to print because it says a default printer does not exist. If I stop the WINWORD.EXE process in the Task Manager before launching Word it prints fine. I couldn't find an applicable Knowledge Base article for this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Geary ...

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

Save as comma csv problems
Hello, I hace Excel 2002. I have near 6000 addresses and contacts and wish to save the xls to a comma csv. I have done that before and then imported the comma csv into my membership program were it says 'import comma csv'. The problem is that some (300 odd) of the records are not imported correctly. I think this maybe because here are some commas in some of the fields eg 24 my street, whatever. Would that be the cause, and if so how can I get rid of all the commas? Many thanks rock I bet it's the way that your membership program works. I'd try this against a copy ...

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Outlook 2003 stops writing
when writing the text the keyboard seems to lose contact with the system and interrups writing for a few seconds. The marker disappears and there is no memory of the keys used. It happens both with the built-in keyboard on my laptop as well as when I use an externa keyboard. Vista Premium. -- gunsan That is more likely to be a problem with win, or your hardware "gunsan" <gunsan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4522D556-4482-4179-B34A-8B97BB8E7B3D@microsoft.com... > when writing the text the keyboard seems to lose contact with the system > and > ...

Need an open house sign in sheet

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

opening links

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

Outlook 2002 Spam Filter freeware?
I'm looking for Anti SPAM freeware/shareware, that acts as a plug-in to Outlook 2002 and deletes Spam from my email server, without downloading it to Outlook at all. Thus when running outlook it would interact with the Anti Spam software and receive only non-spam through it (subject to a learning process obviously!). Thanks in anticipation :) Google is your friend. However, that plug-in would not be an Outlook plug-in since Outlook has nothing to do with deleting from server prior to download, via rules or any other method. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies t...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...