Cannot move file after downloading from Outlook

Hi all:
I have a problem which I think comes from outlook and the wa it handles
downloaded files. This is the situation: I get a word attachment and I
save it on my hard drive. While outlook is open it will not let me move
the downloaded file to another directory. Even if I close outlook the
file is still locked (Is Outlook notorious for not picking up after
itself after closing?). I have to restart the computer in order to get
the file released. This happens on and off, but it always happens with
downloaded attached files from outllok. I heard soemone saying that it
may have something to do with "handles" but my understanding of the
nuts and bolts of Outlook does not go to such a lower level. Any help
that could point me in the right direction to understand this problem
will be greatly appreciated.

0
rotaterx8 (8)

FC <rotaterx8@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a problem which I think comes from outlook and the wa it
> handles downloaded files. This is the situation: I get a word
> attachment and I save it on my hard drive. While outlook is open it
> will not let me move the downloaded file to another directory. Even
> if I close outlook the file is still locked (Is Outlook notorious for
> not picking up after itself after closing?).

Chances are that while you believe Outlook is closed, it isn't.  Otherwise I
don't think you would see this behavior.  I just tried what you described
and it doesn't work that way for me.  As soon as I save the attachment I can
do with it whatever I want, including moving and deleteing it.  Of course, I
experimented with Outlook 2003 and you don't mention your version of
Outlook, so perhaps, if you're using an older version, it was a problem that
has been addressed.

 > I have to restart the
> computer in order to get the file released.

No, just make sure Outlook isn't running by looking on the Processes tab of
Task Manager and stopping all instances of OUTLOOK.EXE that you find.  Then
you have to discover why Outlook remains open and you can find ideas about
that here:
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.htm
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

CRM appointment form instead of Outlook appointment form
In the outlook client, when I click the "Create New Appointment' button in the CRM toolbar, the Outlook appointment form appears. Is there any reason why it is not the CRM Appointment form that shows? Is there a way to use the CRM form instead? I know you can go in the "Activities in CRM" folder and create a new appointment from the Activities screen, but at this point, you no longer see the Outlook Calendar, so it is now very convenient, nor is creating a outlook appointment, clicking the track in CRM button and finally adding the missing field in the CRM appointme...

Can't open files from a different version saved to 2000 format
Hi, I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The document shows up in the preview area, but will not open. She even tried to save it to the 98 format, but it still will not open. Any ideas? Julie wrote: > Hi, > > I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using > Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, > but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The > d...

Bring filtered data from another file
I have a Birthdays file I have a Calendar file After each date in this calendar file I have 4 empty lines (assumption: max 4 birthdays on the same day) 15.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... 16.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... How can I bring the names for each date from the Birthdays file. Thanks and regards, CousinExcel ...

Possible? Using Word template .dot file as app's doc template?
Just curious... I was wondering if a Word .dot file could be used as a template for my app's document. It would give users the option of customizing the look of output from my program without my having to duplicate a lot of functionality. For them it would be a familiar way to do the formatting. A win/win as they say. Do Word documents have a published format, or are redistributable .dll files available from Microsoft (at extra cost) to do this? Thanks, Rick ...

how to send M.outlook mail from command prompt ?
Hi, I want to send M.outlook mail from command prompt. I have tried below command but it is not send silently, I have to press SEND button. Please do the needful. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11>OUTLOOK.EXE /C IPM.NOTE /PROFILE KBHATT /M KTBHATT01@HOTMAIL.COM /A C:\TEST.TXT Krunal Bhatt wrote: > Hi, > > I want to send M.outlook mail from command prompt. I have tried below > command but it is not send silently, I have to press SEND button. Please do > the needful. > > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11>OUTLOOK.EXE /C...

Files incomplete
When I go into Start/My Computer/C:/1Dan which is my directory I cannot get a complete list of all the sub-directories. It seems the more recent ones that I have created are not listed. I can find them when I use various S/W (Office, Excel, etc). Is there a setting that I need to change or something else I am doing wrong?? Thanks, Why are you accessing / or trying, data from that path? and if that is the actual path then you have created a directory named 1Dan.... in the route of C: for an unknown reason. The win user directories are under Documents & Settings Your da...

Outlook 2003 using Journal
Can you add an appointment from the Calendar to the Journal, and if so how. Thank You all in Advance ...

Outlook fails to actually "exit"
Hi all. I'm running Outlook 2003 on XP Pro, and recently when I exit outlook either via the X in the corner or File -> Exit, the program disappears from my desktop and systray, but actually remains TSR as a running process. This is a new behavior/problem and is really causing me headaches. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to correct it? I tried running the re-install/repair process with my Office 2003 installation CD, but I'm getting an error saying that the installation source can't be found (????? - isn't it on the CD in the drive??) so I dont' know ...

Moving license to a new computer

Using Outlook to read from a https web account
Is it possible to add an email account with a https address? I have tried adding an account via Email Accounts => Add New Account => HTTP with no success ( I tried with and without the secure password option). I have successfully registered "standard" http accounts previously. TIA, -dan ...

Earthlink and Outlook Express
I use Earthlink and would like to download my folders and message to Outlook Express but I understand from earthink I cannot do that with folders. Does anyone know a way I could do that? Also, what are the steps, using Outlook to download a simple message from Earthlink? Also, what the steps if I want to open and save a folder from a floppy disk, from another email program? Sorry for so many questions. Thank you. Karen ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookF...

Critical OE/Outlook Backup Files
Greetings. Would one of you knowledgable MPV's kindly tell me which OE/Outlook files should be backed up so I don't lose any of my address book, folders, or data from both programs. I am in need of reinstalling my OS (XP) and don't want to lose any of my important names, folders, documents, etc. Your assistance is much appreciated. Outlook: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm Outlook Express: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -P...

Outlook 2000 Autosignature displays HTML source in HTML mode
I had my graphical autosignature working for outgoing e- mails, but found this week that it suddenly began displaying HTML source code instead. I verified that I am still in HTML mode, but cannot get Outlook to display the signature properly. This seems to have happened at about the time that I received what appearde to be an RTF formatted e-mail, to which I responded. Any ideas as to what is going on and how I can restore HTML capabilities to my outgoing e-mails? Regards, Alex ...

Safe to Move?

Exchange 5.5 clients cannot see the new user fr Outlook Global Add
Hi to All, Please we need help! We have 4 branches with different domain. 2 branch is using Exchange 5.5 and 2 others are using Exchange 2000. Our Problem is when we configured one account in Exchange 2000 it can't be seen in 2 Exchange 5.5 Global Address. This mail is use for internal use only and it is not connected to internet. Thanks in Advanced! Emslan Did you configure Active Directory Connector to synchronize between your AD and Exchange 5.5 directory? Exchange 2000 uses AD for its directory store but Exchange 5.5 uses its own directory. "emslan" <emslan@d...

VBA code could not find file
I am using the code shown as an example in the help files and when run, it cannot locate the file. Dim dbsProjects As Database Set dbsProjects = OpenDatabase("Projects.mdb") Why can VB not find the open database? Try putting the full path to Projects.mdb, rather than just the file name. That statement would only work if Projects.mdb happens to be in whatever folder is the current directory. Predicting what Access considers to be the current directory can be difficult: it depends on how you opened the application. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (...

Windows 7, CRM Outlook client and wildcard certificates
Hi, We are hosting CRM 4.0 for several of our customer organizations. The CRM server is installed to IFD mode. We have installed several Windows 7 laptops with CRM Outlook clients in them. They have worked fine till last Wednesday when all CRM Outlook clients on these Windows 7 machines stopped from authenticating successfully to CRM. When trying to use the CRM with IE, there is first an SSL certificate warning shown which says: "The security certificate presented by this website was issues for a different website's address." I can continue by clicking a link in browser which ta...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Outlook 2003
Hello. I like to change the method of visualization images on Outlook 2003. There's a away to change this to be just like outlook express? For example, when a image (jpg) is attached on, currently I must double click on image to open it. I would like that appear on mail body like Express. Anyone can help-me ? Outlook is not Outlook Express. It does not have the native ability to display pictures inline as does OE. Outlook is primarily a business tool and businesses seldom have a need to display pictures in email. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook} Please post all followup questio...

Moving Exchange 2000

Error class not registered in Outlook 07
Hello, I use MS Outlook 2007 (over XP SP2). Recently, whenever I start Ooutlook (first screen is Outlook Today) I'm getting an error message: "Run Time Error" plus "Error: Class not Registered". When I run Microsoft Script Editor, the breaks the flowing statement: "document.all.dateScript.innerHTML = window.external.GetDate();" However, when I'm not confirming the debug execution I can get into Outlook sending and receiving email normally. When I try to get into first screen (selecting top follder - Personal Folders) the error message is prompted ...